IGNORED

Can the Jaguar do what the Neo Geo did?

MAYAman

i think most people who say the Jaguar isn't 64-bits really couldn't care less about what fandagled method is being used to count the bits. relative to 32-bit platforms like the playstation most of its games don't look well. there are some but very few jaguar games that would blend in well with platforms of the 32-64bit generation. In late '93 until mid '94 the Jaguar with Cybermorph and Iron Soldier probably would've impressed alot of those who think the graphics look bad today but it's hard to get people to remember back to that point especially since they probably didn't know about the Jaguar until long after it was abandoned.

if the saturn, playstation and N64 had never existed and the 3DO (32-bit), Jaguar (64-bit), Amiga CD32 (32-Bit) and FM towns Marty (32-Bit) had been the only platforms of the generation it would have been perceived as a 64-bit platform but that did not happen.

Edited by Willard

What game on the Jag is the most technically complex and shows its power off the best? Anything to best the ps1 or Saturn? I know rayman has the most color but that's as far AMS I know.

Besting what's on the PS1 and Saturn? Eh.. NBA Jam T.E., maybe? DOOM (to an extent)? There are other games like AvP and Skyhammer that show what the Jag was capable of from a 3D standpoint (at least with the given development knowledge at the time), but nothing released in the Atari era outshines the best of the more popular platforms, or even comes close in visual complexity for that matter.

Anything to best the ps1 or Saturn?

No sir.

There are games that are very comparible, or on a par with PS1 and Saturn games, but asking if there's anything to best them is like asking if there's anything on the Colecovision that can best the NES or anything on the Dreamcast to best the Xbox. The Jaguar is years older than those other systems. Of course no one is going to release a game system AFTER the Jaguar that isn't better than it for the most part. In 2D the Jaguar could most likely do better, but if anything has been released to prove that is another story.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

What was the Achilles heel of the system? What hardware issue diss allowed it to do Tekken or Grand Tourismo?

It's not a matter of an Achilles heel, it's the plain fact that the Jaguar was designed to push so many polygons and do so much texture mapping, etc., and when the Saturn and PS1 were designed they naturally made sure that they could do more than the Jaguar, or 3DO for that matter. Now, that being said, with good programmers using todays dev. tools, the Jaguar could do something similiar to Tekken or Grand Tourismo, but it might not have everything textured, or lower res textures or some other bells and whistles might be left out becuase the Jaguar's 3D power is years older and less than the Saturn or PS1, but it was state-of-the-art when the Jaguar first came out. Are there some games on the Saturn or PS1 that the Jaguar could do just as well? Yes! It just depends on the game.

Again it's the same thing as asking why the Genesis can't do as many colors as the SNES; becuase it's older and the SNES was designed to surpass the Genesis in on-screen colors. That's about the best comparison too; the Jaguar and 3DO compared to the Saturn and PS1 are like comparing the Genesis to the SNES. the newer, the better.

The Jaguar should be compared to it's contemporaries which are the 3DO, Amiga CD32 and Sega 32X and when compared to them it's as good or better . The Saturn, PS1 and N64 were the next generation after the 3DO, Jaguar, 32X and CD32.

The bottom line is you are asking the wrong question, If you were to point to any game on the 3DO, 32X or Amiga CD32 and ask if the Jaguar could do that, I would say, with the right development team and support, it could do as good or better. And that's also not to say that the Jaguar couldn't do better than what has already been done on it, with the right dev. team and support, a game could be made to surpass anything on the Jaguar right now.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

personally i am more interested in the jaguar games that are as fun or more fun that the best games on comparable systems... there are plenty of turds for the saturn and playstation that look good but play badly, and even more that played well back in the day but haven't aged well at all.

I think whether jaguar graphics compare to saturn or playstation mattered 10 years ago but you're not going to impress anybody now by booting up a jaguar and showing them how much better it looks than the PS1 or N64.

fwiw i think that Defender 2000 is the best looking 2D game on the Jaguar and has some great particle effects and CG scenery that rival many 32/64 bit 2D games. But even still some may feel that Donkey Kong and Killer Instinct on the SNES is comparable. Missile Command 3D is a great looking 3D games but it's a little rough around the edges.

• Like 1

The Jaguar is a 64-bit system. The Neo Geo is only a 24-bit system. Therefore the Jaguar should be able to do 64/24 = 8/3 = 2.67 times better.

Bitness is a marketing term and has less to do with graphics capabilities then what actual hardware graphics support the graphics chipset provides. For example, the Channel F, 2600, Colecovision, and NES are all 8-bit systems, but each has different levels of graphics capabilities. The Intellivision is a 16-bit system, but of course has nowhere the capabilities of the Sega Genesis.

• Like 1

I dont get all the hype on defender 2000, not that good from what I have seen,

Depends exactly what you've seen. D2K has three game modes, the classic and plus modes aren't all that impressive, 2000 mode has some very cool graphics and special effects. But it's really a game you have to see for yourself, most movies and pictures don't really do it justice, at least not the ones I've seen. But it's a good example of what the Jaguar is capable of in 2D. As for how good a game it is, that up for debate, some people like it, some don't.

I dont get all the hype on defender 2000, not that good from what I have seen,

Depends exactly what you've seen. D2K has three game modes, the classic and plus modes aren't all that impressive, 2000 mode has some very cool graphics and special effects. But it's really a game you have to see for yourself, most movies and pictures don't really do it justice, at least not the ones I've seen. But it's a good example of what the Jaguar is capable of in 2D. As for how good a game it is, that up for debate, some people like it, some don't.

D2k isn't perfect but I love it. I really took the time to learn to play it correctly and had an absolute blast playing for high scores for the JHC last season. It gets quite intense once you get further into the game..as well as intensely frustrating sometimes!

I was always a fan of D2K since i first got it when it was first released. It's really not that difficult if you can live long enough to get the round A.I. droid and shield, then it becomes very easy, actually.

I keep asking myself what the argument is here. The Jaguar is what it is. You wouldn't ask a camel if it could be a dog. You wouldn't ask a snake to be a trombone. You can find similarities in everything if you try hard enough, but history has spoken. Jaguar isn't Saturn, Playstation, or even Neo Geo. It didn't want to be, it didn't try to be. Either love it or leave it for what it was and still is. What it means personally to you, can be different for each person. For me it takes me back to a time in my life that held allot of changes. The memories and nostalgia are more important than the prowess of the machinery.

• Like 9

the're all hypothetical.. I don't really have a problem with discussions like these for fun. It's also kind of the thing I miss about console gaming nowadays, is the "console wars".. taking shots at each other and trying to prove which one is better, as silly as it was and as often as incorrect information was throw around. It still made being into gaming more interesting.

I keep asking myself what the argument is here. The Jaguar is what it is. You wouldn't ask a camel if it could be a dog. You wouldn't ask a snake to be a trombone. You can find similarities in everything if you try hard enough, but history has spoken. Jaguar isn't Saturn, Playstation, or even Neo Geo. It didn't want to be, it didn't try to be. Either love it or leave it for what it was and still is. What it means personally to you, can be different for each person. For me it takes me back to a time in my life that held allot of changes. The memories and nostalgia are more important than the prowess of the machinery.

Agreed. The system has been around for nearly twenty years. Running in circles with the same "could it do this or that?" speculation again and again gets old.

Maybe there should be a stickied thread at the top of the forum that links to the hundreds of other speculative threads... :P

the're all hypothetical.. I don't really have a problem with discussions like these for fun. It's also kind of the thing I miss about console gaming nowadays, is the "console wars".. taking shots at each other and trying to prove which one is better, as silly as it was and as often as incorrect information was throw around. It still made being into gaming more interesting.

The problem with that is that "console wars" are still very real and happening all the time. I can't even begin to facepalm at the fact that they even still exist. "durr PS3 has bluray and walks all over your 360". It's retarded and only made things more interesting at the time because we were kids, and stupid for the most part.

Of course, some hardcore Jag fans still live by that mentality. See where that's gotten them.. ;) :rolling:

Edited by Austin
  • Like 6

The Jaguar is a 64-bit system. The Neo Geo is only a 24-bit system. Therefore the Jaguar should be able to do 64/24 = 8/3 = 2.67 times better.

Bitness is a marketing term and has less to do with graphics capabilities then what actual hardware graphics support the graphics chipset provides. For example, the Channel F, 2600, Colecovision, and NES are all 8-bit systems, but each has different levels of graphics capabilities. The Intellivision is a 16-bit system, but of course has nowhere the capabilities of the Sega Genesis.

Thanks, I did not know that.

All of that is true, but the argument will always remain becuase there are new people coming to the scene who want to know, and most of the info they get in the wild on the net is disinformation, and there are those of use who don't mind setting the record straight. But i certainly haven't percieved any real argument here, nothing like those of old, this has just been a discussion.