IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

The problem with your OS stability is really not caused by the Rasta Converter. As the others hinted, it's a symptom of some other problems you have with either hardware or software. 

I think it is the processor related bugs...
No problem when I used option  "threads=1"...

Edited by GravityWorm

On 5/11/2024 at 8:44 PM, Atari8man2004 said:

Hourglass

colors: 34

plus src

Atari8man_Hourglass.png

output.png-src.png

Atari8man_Hourglasspng.xex 22.25 kB · 11 downloads

This is an example of an image I will need. I maybe have found a coder!
So I will produce a Atari 800/400 game! Maybe I will post less pictures here in next months...
If you can help contact me...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

I use GNU/Linux. I do not have RC + GUI.
Thx!

As wrathchild has posted you can still set these things in the command line/non GUI version of rc. Thing is, personally, I only ever use the GUI interfaced version of rc. Without being able to preview the conversion multiple times, (I do it 10-50 times before committing to a conversion), or very set things like colour distance from ceide to yuv, etc, you are severely restricting the control you have. One of the most important things I've learnt is being able to crank up the contrast in the GUI, preview it, tweak it, preview, repeat, etc etc until I am happy, then I start the conversion. Without this, half my conversions would look a lot worse than they came out. I've never used the command line only version of rc. For me the GUI is amazing. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In case anyone is interested...

@Sheddy sent me a few new RastaConverter binaries to test, regarding my particular CPU. As it turns out, my processor doesn't support AVX, which is a CPU extension being used in the latest build/version, but not being used in previous builds/versions.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

So I will produce a Atari 800/400 game! Maybe I will post less pictures here in next months...

If you need an item like a crossbow, chalice or other weapons or objects lets me know I will do my best to help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

Happy to help too. I've converted a few weapons pics (swords, axes, etc), in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrFish said:

In case anyone is interested...

@Sheddy sent me a few new RastaConverter binaries to test, regarding my particular CPU. As it turns out, my processor doesn't support AVX, which is a CPU extension being used in the latest build/version, but not being used in previous builds/versions.

I've just been surprised to find out that the AVX and AVX2 builds actually make very little, if any difference to the speed and it is the profile guided optimization giving the biggest boost. Have added that plain x64 processor build here:

https://github.com/sheddyshack/RastaConverter/releases/tag/RastaConverterBeta10-Intel-PGO

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sheddy said:

I've just been surprised to find out that the AVX and AVX2 builds actually make very little, if any difference to the speed and it is the profile guided optimization giving the biggest boost.

SIMD optimization is typically a data reorganization problem, not a code problem. The compiler rarely makes solid gains unless you are already using data in a very applicable pattern (vectors with one to many transformations). For that matter I'm not really sure the problem set of RastaConverter is SIMD-friendly - it certainly should be thread friendly, since raster lines dont have inter-dependency.

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2024 at 12:03 AM, ilmenit said:

CIEDE is "a bit" computationally expensive color distance to calculate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_difference#CIEDE2000 

Oh I understand completely, and was not expecting CIEDE to be competitive in pure speed versus less complex color distance algorithms. What's puzzling to me is the fall off (and even negative regression) when adding hardware threads. I would think that just subdivides the image in smaller vertical regions and each thread can run independently, so there should be some gain. Is the color comparison done perhaps in a central thread, and thus becomes a common dependency?

On 5/16/2024 at 5:45 PM, Sheddy said:

I recompiled RastaConverterBeta10 (Windows 64-bit version) using the Intel C++ compiler and Profile Guided Optimization.

On my older PC I'm seeing the rate improve from around 80,000 to mid to high 90,000's. If you're interested, please give it a go.

I am kind of curious what sort of rates Stephen might get on his system given he already gets around 300,000 sometimes on YUV

https://github.com/sheddyshack/RastaConverter/releases/tag/RastaConverterBeta10

Kind Regards

I'm out of town until late Monday - I'll definitely give this a try when I get home!

• Like 3