IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

A conversion of a 3D model of Major Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell)

Double dithering used. Really pleased with this one.

5.7 bill evaluations/ 113 norm dist / Altirra pallete / 20000 sols / 320*240

97 unique colours

Mask and preprocessing, etc as before plus as usual using Sheddy's HPOS fixing tool to remove some errors and centre it onscreen.

Filename: Beeblebrox_Major_DEST_SM1_09_fixed.xex

(snapshot taken from Altirra with PAL high artifacting setting):

image.thumb.jpeg.8add0bf0b648dcb41683919b0d8e595a.jpeg

Beeblebrox_Major_DEST_SM1_09_fixed.xex

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Being a noob I have 175 message in this thread to catchup on here are a few more conversions.  I downloaded GIMP but would require lots of time to learn the program.

Atari8man_Capital.png

Atari8man_Dragon.png

Atari8man_UScoin.png

Atari8man_Capital.xex 22.11 kB · 0 downloads Atari8man_Dragon.xex 22.08 kB · 0 downloads Atari8man_UScoin.xex 21.79 kB · 0 downloads

Very nice

When I first stumbled across the Rastaconverter thread I spent something like a week downloading and viewing several years of conversions. It's worth it. 

I've been converting for a couple of years now and it never gets tired. :)

Rastaconverter rocks and what the A8 can display when you get it right is gorgeous to look at. Enjoy trawling through this thread. 

One thing you may or may not know is the preprocessing of the image is often key to a great conversion. That and using masks. (All my conversions use masks now).

Also Sheddy's suite of tools, (of which he recently updated a few posts up), is great to use. We are on ver 3.4 now

See here: 

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/200118-images-generated-by-rastaconverter/?do=findComment&comment=5301585

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Geister said:

The screenshots are still pretty good, but not that good.

yup the screenshots Atari8man2004 posted aren't actual RC images. Must be the RC desitnation images as MrFish says.

However, if you take screendumps of the executables out of Altirra, and post them here, the conversions are still very impressive.

image.thumb.png.3746b2bd32ec3918148361469ab6e281.png

image.thumb.png.0deb06656fe279d74f4a3439b50fe663.png

image.thumb.png.8c6e9f0d8bab601c75b30fef74f5129d.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

RC desitnation images where used I didn't know you could do a screen dump with Altirra.  I have both Pal and NTSC 8bit's and notice a color change with the images. They look awesome on the Commordore 1084 and a Sony LCD TV .  Beeblebrox gave

e me some tip's on using mask that I'll look into.  

Edited by Atari8man2004
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Atari8man2004 said:

RC desitnation images where used I didn't know you could do a screen dump with Altirra.  I have both Pal and NTSC 8bit's and notice a color change with the images. They look awesome on the Commordore 1084 and a Sony LCD TV .  Beeblebrox gave

e me some tip's on using mask that I'll look into.  

Yup, I convert PAL images only as I have PAL machines.

In altirra just go here to copy a screenshot to the clipbosrd:

image.thumb.png.39b514fac01656f57a56fcdd2f1e2eb8.png

It'll always look so much better on real hardware on an old school CRT.

I rarely - if ever - used masks when I first started out. Mainly because I thought there were complicted to do. Now I know they aren't I use them all the time.

My other biggest tip is preprosessing the source image first. Makes a massive difference.

The main Windows graphics tools I used are nothing special. Irfanview and Paint.net.

EDit: just to check you are aware that some people convert NTSC Rasta images for the NTSC pallette, and others (like myself) convert PAL Rasta images for the PAL pallette. If you display a PAL Rasta image on an NTSC machine the colours will naturally be all wrong, and visa versa.(Same goes with displaying these on altirra depending on which mode it's set:

image.thumb.png.a71fa05960d6688859a6dacd741c6f93.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Yup, I convert PAL images only as I have PAL machines.

In altirra just go here to copy a screenshot to the clipbosrd:

image.thumb.png.39b514fac01656f57a56fcdd2f1e2eb8.png

It'll always look so much better on real hardware on an old school CRT.

I rarely - if ever - used masks when I first started out. Mainly because I thought there were complicted to do. Now I know they aren't I use them all the time.

My other biggest tip is preprosessing the source image first. Makes a massive difference.

The main Windows graphics tools I used are nothing special. Irfanview and Paint.net.

Copy frame to clipboard got it.  I used Windows paint and FastStone Photo Resizer .  I have no Idea what the mask are I will try to figure this out.   I have seen some of your conversion and there impressive.

19 minutes ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Copy frame to clipboard got it.  I used Windows paint and FastStone Photo Resizer .  I have no Idea what the mask are I will try to figure this out.   I have seen some of your conversion and there impressive.

thanks

Essentially it forces the conversion to prioritise the masked areas of the image.

When I have a moment I'll see if I can either locate some pre-existing guide or ilustrate my own. There are so many things you can do pre-processing and also in the RC settings, plus of course playing around with masks, dithering. It's a lot of trial and error initially. There are some forum members on here who have been converting for years and have amassed some amazing images. (Check out Gunstar).

I believe Amarok has done some RC guide vids for pre-processing and mask use, but they are in Polish (I think). Some of Amarok's conversions are astoundingly good. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 3:55 PM, Beeblebrox said:

thanks

Essentially it forces the conversion to prioritise the masked areas of the image.

When I have a moment I'll see if I can either locate some pre-existing guide or ilustrate my own. There are so many things you can do pre-processing and also in the RC settings, plus of course playing around with masks, dithering. It's a lot of trial and error initially. There are some forum members on here who have been converting for years and have amassed some amazing images. (Check out Gunstar).

I believe Amarok has done some RC guide vids for pre-processing and mask use, but they are in Polish (I think). Some of Amarok's conversions are astoundingly good. :)

Just a note about my conversions:

I rarely do any pre-processing of images beyond cropping and horizontal/vertical flipping of images, and that has only been adjusting brightness, contrast color saturation on about 1% of the images I convert. I have never used masks either, beyond one image I tested masking on years ago, but didn't like the fact that areas not masked aren't given enough attention and suffer. The trade off to me isn't worth it. But that's just my personal taste. I think I've done OK without masks and pre-processing all these years.

Edited by Gunstar

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

I think I've done OK without masks and pre-processing all these years.

No-one could disagree with that!

I'd take a middle ground and suggest that most images won't see an overall benefit, but in a few where the human eye very much hones in on detail in a very specific area (the area around the eyes in a face might be a typical example) using a mask can help, particularly if you've tried without several times and detail/accuracy in that area is not forthcoming.

It can also help where you have a narrow high-contrast vertical strip that the algorithm has a tendency to form horizontal stripes across, very jarring to the human eye.

My main tip for using masks, if you want to experiment, is to use the mask over a small area but make sure you make the mask slightly larger than the area of detail you're trying to enhance, especially if it includes a high-contrast vertical edge.

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 2