IGNORED

2013 Midwest gaming classic

IAMAMRA

He likely meant costing .25/.50 cents per game in an arcade. The amount I calculate is (.25+.50+.75)/3. It would take approximately 60 games at .50 cents per game to "pay for your entry to the show" using coin drop arcade equivalent values.

With over 300 coin-ops, playing each machine once would cost (assuming at .50 a play) woud be $150. And as S1500 stated, that doesn't even begin to take into account all the consoles and computers to play as well. (Besides the events and other happenings).

We actually had someone complain how we could raise the price this year without any perceivable raise in content value. Just insane.

• Like 1

With over 300 coin-ops, playing each machine once would cost (assuming at .50 a play) woud be $150. And as S1500 stated, that doesn't even begin to take into account all the consoles and computers to play as well. (Besides the events and other happenings).

We actually had someone complain how we could raise the price this year without any perceivable raise in content value. Just insane.

just tell the person it due to the reccession prices go up everywhere no matter what

I wouldn't have any issue with the price if I were able to attend for a normal period of time, it's just unfortunate for those of us who only have an hour or two and would love to make a quick run through to catch the highlights, it makes it not worth it. Not the fault of the show or anything like that, just unfortunate for those in a hurry ;)

I wouldn't have any issue with the price if I were able to attend for a normal period of time, it's just unfortunate for those of us who only have an hour or two and would love to make a quick run through to catch the highlights, it makes it not worth it. Not the fault of the show or anything like that, just unfortunate for those in a hurry ;)

Being able to go for an hour or two would make me more sad than missing the whole weekend!

• Like 1

Agreed. I can usually swing a couple/few hours each day. Each year I've gone the rooms were so packed I could only find a handful of open games. And even then it usually ended up being a Joust game that only moved in 1 direction. For me the highlights were typically the vendors and maybe picking up a game or piece of art for a few bucks. Tacking on an extra $30 to that ($60 if I bring a friend) makes me think twice. Depending on how long I stay it breaks down to about .25 - .50 for every minute I'm in the building.

Sounds like many could benefit from a "later in the day ticket." Some theme parks have offered discounted tickets after 3pm. I've never really be one for using that option. If I was going, I'd make sure I was there the minute they open until close, but I can see the benefit if someone just can't do the whole day. I still don't think $30 is a bad value for a full day of fun. Yes it's crowded, but can you really get in to any fun full day event for less? Theme park, zoo, museum, aquarium, 4 movies (8hrs), all are pretty close to that in price (and generally don't have any video games).

I still don't think $30 is a bad value for a full day of fun.

That makes perfect sense for folks traveling and dedicating their weekends to this event. I could not spend an entire day even if I had the time. There simply isn't that much there for me unless I entered some events or watched a presentation but I rarely do that. I'm more interested in seeing if I can add anything to my collection and maybe playing a couple games before I go. That's just me though. I can see the appeal for some.

Oh, don't get me wrong....for ME it's fine, if I had a local place with the same stuff that charged a $30 door charge I would probably hit it once a month or so. We have to remember though, not everyone is like US.

Every year I bring a car load of "casual" classic gaming fans (casual meaning they do not collect or even play classic stuff, but appreciate it enough to go to a convention about it) $30 is a bit much for them to pay as a door charge, especially since we tend to get there around 5pm saturday and generally only bum around for 3 or 4 hours before we all need a beer, lol. $30 isn't a deal breaker for them, but yes, it's getting a little high for something like this.

Also, I think it's too high for families. If you want to bring your wife and kids you are looking at $120 out the gate (unless they discount kids tickets?) Unless your kids are really into old games, you know it will not hold there interest more than an hour or two (and I KNOW your wife doesn't give two shits, unless she is freakin awesome, lol)

I guess what I'm saying is for hardcore fans such as ourselves, it's fine, hell I would probably pay $50 if I had to....but for casual fans and families (that have a classic gaming dad) it's getting a little high. I tend to believe the reason the show is as big as it is today is due to the "casual fans" attending, so if it climbs too high and they stop attending...that can't be good...

I believe the first one I attended was $10, lol

Also, I think it's too high for families. If you want to bring your wife and kids you are looking at $120 out the gate (unless they discount kids tickets?) Unless your kids are really into old games, you know it will not hold there interest more than an hour or two (and I KNOW your wife doesn't give two shits, unless she is freakin awesome, lol)

Well, kids 10 and under are free. That covers my twins and my oldest son who's into gaming and some of the tournaments. My 14-year-old daughter doesn't give a crap, anyway. :(

Personally I could spend a week there and not do and play everything I wanted, but then I'm a freak like that.

Personally I could spend a week there and not do and play everything I wanted, but then I'm a freak like that.

Yeah in 2007 we did a week a Disney (back when I had money) and I can honestly say we maybe saw 10% of everything they had at the four big Disney parks in Florida. You could live there for a year and probably never do all of Orlando.

If your goal was to play every system and pinball set up for use, it would take a good week+.

saw racerx's photo of the homebrews board with lots of jagware stuff on it - great! thanks! :-)

Yeah, I would've liked to have done a better job with that board with some game descriptions and history along with their developers, but my son and I whipped that up in about an hour the night before the show. :D

Oh, and my pic link (you don't need a FB account to view):

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.624081230939547.1073741825.603901236290880&type=1&l=34b1c0da88

Edited by racerx
  • Like 1

It was a great time, and was excited to pick up a great deal on Halo 2600! The museum was great, and enjoyed how open the pinball room was this year! I even took my 2 year old in to the museum area to play for awhile and he had fun as well. Already looking forward to next year.

Picked up:

Halo 2600

Final Fantasy 3(snes)

Super Contra(NES)

Mortal combat 2(sega)

Street fighter 2(sega)

Dues Ex (PS3)

Memories(Priceless)

Edited by IAMAMRA