IGNORED

Atari Jaguar vs the Nintendo 64

rhindlethereddragon

Jag had Raiden and Tempest 2000 at least the N64...?,Despite having fun with Perfect Dark and Golden Eye Multi-player the whole N64 experience was actually quite short lived for me just like the Jag,i mean after first person shooters i would play Mario 64 and Resident Evil 2 but after that i was desperate to find a real playable game on the system.I think it also released poor sequels (bastardised?) games which i saw as classic on the Snes,like Star Fox,F-Zero,Zelda,Mario Kart,etc also it had the worst graphics engine i have seen on any game system and the worst controller.

You think Ocarina of Time is a bastardized Zelda sequel?

Too many people are being serious in this thread, it's making it really confusing to tell who's giving real opinions and who's taking the piss (which was, I believe, this threads original purpose... can we try to get back on topic here?).

The sad part is, I think the OP was being serious. :ponder:

• Like 2

When I owned an N64, there were only half a dozen games that even interested me. If I can remember, they were Perfect Dark, Turok, Road Rash 64...I thought 007 was o.k., I had that mature (adult swim-like) platformer with that squirl or what ever too, was it Conk or conkers or something like that? The last one was the Star Wars one. That's all I remember, for the most part good fun with these games, once I found an aftermarket controller with the trigger to one side and the middle thumbpad too.

I can name 3-4 times as many Jaguar games that interest me as much or more. And the Jaguar controller is astoundingly better than the N64 controller, IMHO, the pro-controller even more so.

For these reasons the Jag wins for me, though I probably will pick up another N64 someday. The N64 is the only Nintendo system I ever owned and probably will ever own. If it's not Atari, I'd rather it be Sega...but then, look where Atari and Sega are at today, maybe I'm just a sucker for the underdogs. But then I look at Nintendo again and there's nothing to attract me...

Who made that mistake with N64 being so blury?

Nintendo accidentally wound the spring on the GlumpGlump™ gourard line compressor system a bit too tightly. At least that's what I heard from other folks who have no idea what they are babbling about, so I assume it's 100% factual.

• Like 10

Well for starters, the Jaguar had Trevor McFur at launch. Nintendo had to make due with a knock off flying space animal in StarFox 64 which is a TERRIBLE Trevor McFur simulator.

Several reasons:

1.TMcF was actually one of the first games to allow use of custom soundtracks and was intended to be played that way! The developers knew individuality would trum any sort of music the could create so they left it up to you, the user to create your own personal eargasms. SF64 tried to make this a moot point by adding horrible voice acting and some meh unmemorable music. A

Advantage: Jaguar

2. TMcF is hard as balls and no amount of practice is going to avail you only luck and the possibility that the awesome soundtrack you make will increase your skills enough to beat the geometric nondescript horrors that await you. SF64 well when bosses have weak points and special weapons actually do harm them it makes it a cake walk. Plus who needs all range mode when you can just pick up a bunch of flying magnets to shoot at enemies? Need I also remind you that TMcF has MANY special weapons which only serve to stave off your inevitable demise vs. just bombs. variety FTW!

Advantage: Jaguar

3. Trevor McFur is actually A JAGUAR! so it's like you're playing a game on your Jaguar as a JAGUAR! The mind can't comprehend awesomeness like that. What does the N64 have on that? Are we paying Stario? Or ZeldaFox? or even a flying geometric N with 64 floating beside it? NO you play an anthromorphic FOX which as we all know is nowhere near the predator a Jaguar is. Nintendo can even get Trevor McFur right and its not even the best Jaguar game! How lame is that?

MASCOTVANTAGE: JAGUAR!

4. The Jaguar would run ALL its games withouth the need of a memory expansion.

Also....

The N64 got Daikatana ported to it. The Jaguar did not. This game is the equivaltent of having cancer, an abcess, and flesh eating bacteria all at once in the same spot. This alone would even out the playing field.

So in concusion, the Jaguar is an excellent game system which was hindered by a few luddite programmers who could not "do the math". Wheras the N64 was a state of the art fog generating machine with a knock off Trevor McFur...

/thread

Edited by Robocop2
  • Like 5

I have an uncle that is married to a person that was related to Mr. Nintendo himself. He told me that Nintendo actually contacted Atari to release the N64, much like the NES back in the day. Nintendo wanted to escape their reputation as a child's gaming system. They knew that Atari had more blood in Kasumi Ninja than Mortal Kombat could ever hope for. Kasumi Ninja even captured a true Chinese accent, due to the 32-bit DSP. The plan was for the Nintendo64 to be an add on for the Jag. It was going to add bits to the graphics to become the world's first 128-bit system. However, much like the SNES and SONY deal, Nintendo screwed up again and got stuck with the inferior hardware of the deal. It was like SNES/Playstation all over again. Atari had a wider bus system, so it could do the math (hence the advertising slogan), and N64 could ony push blurry polygons. As good as Trevor McFur is, it was actually not complete. It was actually 64 of the bits from Starfox.

• Like 7

Are you boys MOCKING the JAGUAR?!

THIS IS S E R I O U S B U S I N E S S !!!!1111sixtyfour

You're NOT supposed to have fun, KNEEL BEFORE THE 64-BITS OF POWA, WORSHIP THE ALMIGHTY AND TAKE IT UP THE DSP PORT LIKE GOOD LITTLE DRONES! You're all ruining the forum!

• Like 5

I had that mature (adult swim-like) platformer with that squirl or what ever too, was it Conk or conkers or something like that?

Concker's Bad Fur Day. Had a remake for Xbox, with better graphics.

I loved this game when I played it on a borrowed N64 when I broke my Ankle in 2005 (or was it ? I broke my ankle 2 days before the Pope JP 2nd died)

1.TMcF was actually one of the first games to allow use of custom soundtracks and was intended to be played that way!

What are you talking about here? Is this just something you pulled out of thin air as part of the overall joke?

Never mind, my mind is just working slowly today. I realized you were making a funny about the lack of a soundtrack on TMcF, it's been years since I played, so I had to remember there was no soundtrack.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I had that mature (adult swim-like) platformer with that squirl or what ever too, was it Conk or conkers or something like that?

Concker's Bad Fur Day. Had a remake for Xbox, with better graphics.

I loved this game when I played it on a borrowed N64 when I broke my Ankle in 2005 (or was it ? I broke my ankle 2 days before the Pope JP 2nd died)

Thanks for reminding me, I liked it too. I'll have to look for the sequel since I have an Xbox right now, but no N64. What was the sequal called?

Since Atari and Sega are gone, Xbox is my choice of consoles these days, for two reasons; it has system unique games I can't do without, like the Halo series for one instance, and second, it's the only American made console, and that is a big plus for me as an American. It doesn't mean I don't by foreign (Sega), but I buy American first, if I can (and as long as it's not a total crap product). I currently have the original Xbox, I also have a 360, but it's in my brother's hands at the moment.

Atari being American made (Jaguar) and an American company was one of several reasons I am an Atari fan, but certainly not the main reason, since back in the day there were plenty of American computer&console companies.

Edited by Gunstar

1.TMcF was actually one of the first games to allow use of custom soundtracks and was intended to be played that way!

What are you talking about here? Is this just something you pulled out of thin air as part of the overall joke?

Never mind, my mind is just working slowly today. I realized you were making a funny about the lack of a soundtrack on TMcF, it's been years since I played, so I had to remember there was no soundtrack.

Joke? The Jaguar is no joke my friend and TMcF is definitely no joke. It's the greatest animal space shooter of all time and the only real 64 bit system. Too bad that the big 3 conspired to make it nigh impossible to truly unleash it's powah. ;)

Though technically Nintendo had to rip off TWO Jaguar launch titles to make Starfox 64. Skylar was too much for them to take so they had to go mushy. Green Sinead O'conneresque faces shouting directions repeatedly are hardly family friendly.

Though in all seriousness, I'm in no small part thanks to this thread trying my darnedest to figure out how to create a skylar themed voice for a GPS.....

• Like 2

I like TMcF, for the most part. I don't really care for some of the weird creatures, I much prefer machines shooting machines in my shooters, and I hate the one level with the textured rectangles floating by, that level is just lame. Other than those things I like it, got pretty good at it and like most of the power-ups, etc. I think the graphics look great too, for the most part, they definately caught my eye in the advertisements for the Jag back in the day, but I was expecting massive layers of parallax scrolling too, and I was disappointed. But I like TMcF in spite of these things. Not to mention it's the only side-scrolling shooter (without looping&by-directional ala D2K/Protector) on the Jag, so i kind of have to like it. Yes, I realize TMcF graphics loop, but there's a progression past enemies and onto a boss, you don't loop back over the same place and same enemies missed before

Edited by Gunstar

• 1 year later...

Oh, c'mon guys. I realize that you are all partial to the Jaguar but history has already answered this question. The N64 had better titles, better marketing and dedicated 3D hardware, as opposed to software only 3D. The Jaguar could have competed with the PS1 (maybe) but even 20 years later I have yet to see a title that would compete with the PS1's 3D capabilities (even first gen releases on PS1).

You're right. Even the 3DO has a far better library and its not as powerful as the Jaguar. The Jaguar's library is relatively abysmal. But I love it anyway.

Oh, c'mon guys. I realize that you are all partial to the Jaguar but history has already answered this question. The N64 had better titles, better marketing and dedicated 3D hardware, as opposed to software only 3D. The Jaguar could have competed with the PS1 (maybe) but even 20 years later I have yet to see a title that would compete with the PS1's 3D capabilities (even first gen releases on PS1).

Ah, the laughs! Page 1 laughs, even!

NeoGeo64, you may want to reread this thread carefully, closely watching for sarcasm and humor.

Oh wow! Talk about the wrong topic for a first post. lol!

Don't worry NeoGeo64. There's active Jaguar developers and even Neo Geo homebrew publishers here at AtariAge. We know what we be do - just not what we say :)