IGNORED

Atari Jaguar vs the Nintendo 64

rhindlethereddragon

TBH, if you want your Jag games to look like they are being played on an N64, just smear Vaseline over your TV screen before playing them.. or if you wear glasses.. take them off/smear them in Vaseline.

N64, bringing fuzzy gaming to the masses! :D

Over aggressive filtering was certainly an issue on the N64 (and also the lack of storage space on the cartridge for higher quality textures), but I will say that there's a significant different when using S-VIDEO over RF or composite. It's one of the more dramatic differences you'll find on a classic system.

I don't think it would be entirely unrealistic to try and port Goldeneye 007 to the Jaguar hardware... now trying to port Halo 3 over to it would be a different story lol

Seriously, if you could do GoldenEye, why couldn't you do Halo 3? It would be similar type of concessions, i.e., both would be unrecognizable and probably not play anything like the originals. Unless I've missed something, I've never played anything on the Jaguar anywhere near the level of polygonal detail found on GoldenEye. We're talking master developers with a big budget on a more powerful system designed around 3D versus a system that we don't really know what it's ultimate potential is since we've likely never seen it... (and arguably, may never see it; isn't there some debate among devs that certain Jaguar architectural bottlenecks might be insurmountable obstacles to unlocking its full potential?)

• Like 2

Can the Jaguar handle as many polygons as the N64 on screen at the same time though, even with no textures?

No. No, no, no, no, no.

Why is everybody obsessed with 3D games on the Jaguar? It is not a 3D system. It is a 2D system with a few features that were supposed to make software-based 3D rendering faster, but it's not in the same league as a system that actually has 3D rendering hardware, such as later consoles. The best 3D engine on the Jag will maybe on par with a really bad 3D engine on the PS1, and I'm not even talking about the N64 (especially GoldenEye, made by Rare, whose 3D engine was among the best on the N64). It makes about as much sense as comparing a bike to a motorcycle.

Give it a rest. Stop dreaming about 3D ports from other consoles, even if they happened they would be like the SNES version of Doom : a technical achievement, but also something nobody enjoys actually playing.

• Like 10

This is just conjecture on my part but I think the Jag was in a transition period where console designers weren't really sure 3D was going to take off. I think many consoles of the time had to force themselves to be 3D oriented.

This was absolutely the case. Every system released within a few years of the PlayStation 1 (CD32, Jaguar, 3DO, and Sega Saturn in particular) was absolutely optimized for 2D first, with only secondary consideration for 3D (obviously Sega did put a lot of emphasis on it, but it was clearly more of an afterthought and showed in how well integrated it was in the system and how powerful the relative core feature-set was in comparison to the PS1). It's easy to forget that at the time it was a gamble for Sony to optimize the PlayStation for polygons over sprites, but that paid off handsomely obviously. While the 3D of that era was rough (to say the least), it was fresh and exciting. 2D was great and got better, but the wow factor wasn't there anymore because of how mature it was at that point. The key difference was that while the earlier systems could handle flat shading, gourad shading (properly lit and smoother polygons as well), like the PlayStation offered, was ultimately where it was at.

Still, none of this is new. Both the Jaguar and 3DO were clearly caught in-between generations, with the Sega Genesis and Super NES still at the height of their market powers and forthcoming next gen systems like the PlayStation right around the proverbial corner. It's possible that if 3D hadn't been of an interest to gamers it might not of mattered as much, but that obviously wasn't and hasn't been the case.

• Like 6

I wonder if the Nintendo 64 was powerful enough to do Kasuma Ninja's character selection screen. That's alot of polygons going on at once.

I also am curious if the N64 could handle a direct port of AvP.

Go ask on an N64 forum. I'm sure they'll welcome such interesting opportunities for thought and discussion.

/s

• Like 3

No. No, no, no, no, no.

It makes about as much sense as comparing a bike to a motorcycle.

N64 = Harley.

Jaguire = $199 single speed Schwinn Cruiser aka "Walmart special."

"Special" as in if you ride it out the store, you probably won't even make it home before it falls apart. Harleys, on the other hand, well, let's just say there were Harleys being sold in the 60s and 70s that are still on the road today.

But by that same horsepower logic, a dinosaur like the Atari VCS must be equivalent to a Penny-Fathing! :lol:

300px-Ordinary_bicycle01.jpg

Why is everybody obsessed with 3D games on the Jaguar? It is not a 3D system.

I think there are two reasons. One is the idea that the Jaguar is a throbbing, all-powerful supercomputer whose full capabilities were never fully unleashed. Another is the idea that a good game must necessarily set out to "push the hardware to the max". I've complained about that one before.

• Like 6

I think there are two reasons. One is the idea that the Jaguar is a throbbing, all-powerful supercomputer whose full capabilities were never fully unleashed. Another is the idea that a good game must necessarily set out to "push the hardware to the max". I've complained about that one before.

We don't feel its an all powerful supercomputer but we do feel its full capabilities were never unleashed. So you're half right.

because it seems to me that 2D games and other ideas which don't set out to somehow "prove" the Jaguar's 64-bitness are written off as "unworthy" of the Jaguar.

I think this is backwards. Every time a thread pops up in AA with anyone daring to wonder how far the Jaguar could have gotten a chunk of people assume that those wondering feel this way. When in fact we do not.

Edited by JagChris

We don't feel its an all powerful supercomputer but we do feel its full capabilities were never unleashed.

True enough. I thought of adding something like "it may well be that we haven't yet seen the Jaguar's upper limit, but that upper limit isn't as lofty as many seem to think it is", but I decided not to. Among certain people, saying such a thing about the Jaguar is almost like telling a Southern Baptist that the Rapture is never going to happen.

As for the other quote, I can recall thinking at the time of a few Jaguar game reviews I'd recently read, which said in effect that "This game is crap because it doesn't look any better than a Genesis game, even though the Jaguar is a 64-bit system!", or "Wow, this is a great game because you can tell it really pushes the hardware to the max!" My response to that is: who cares whether it does or not, as long as it's a fun game? Why does a Jaguar game always have to "look 64-bit" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean)?

• Like 9

True enough. I thought of writing something like "it may well be that we haven't yet seen the Jaguar's upper limit, but that upper limit isn't as lofty as many seem to think it is", but I decided not to.

And its probably loftier than others think it is. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Both of them lack end labels on carts, which makes collecting loose carts for them suck. Just my 2 cents...

Drawer, alphabetical order. Problem solved.

Edit: I do have some carts that I acquired from folks who put labels on them. Pretty nifty looking labels, too! I've often thought about doing that to all of them, since they look so nicely made.

Edited by o.pwuaioc

Crazy Climber, on 31 Oct 2013 - 2:05 PM, said:snapback.png

Both of them lack end labels on carts, which makes collecting loose carts for them suck. Just my 2 cents...

That's one of the things I love about NTSC SNES: They actually have end labels unlike PAL and JAP! Some Famicom games have end labels but most don't. Famicom carts also come in every color of the rainbow instead of just gray, which is cool.

For the record, about half of my Atari 2600 end labels have fallen off due to the crappy glue they used. :P

Yeah, it's a pain digging through my N64 carts (or on a store shelf), but I still prefer those over loose PS1 discs any day! :lolblue:

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1