IGNORED

10-17-2012 Found Air Raid with original box

AIR-RAID

Well, sometimes they do.

I'm not too damn trusting; you're just too cynical, Fox.

I mean: look at the subscription of your avatar.

I remember you being the first one to openly doubt the first Red Sea Crossing cart.

But sometimes things are simply what they seem to be: both Red Sea Crossings are genuine and the same goes for these three Air Raid boxes.

8)

I take that as a compliment Rom. Yes I am cynical and with good reason. I dont recall anyone coming forward veryfying the authencity of either red sea crossings (perhaps I missed that thread) and now after a couple of decades not one but three boxes turn up so I am entitled not to swept away with the hysteria of the moment and take a step back and review proceedings in a logical and calm manner. You are always the first to believe and I am always the last, the perfect balance to the universe ;)

• Like 2

Rarities always come in bunches, Fox. Same thing happened with Music Machine boxed. The one on Gamegavel is still the nicest looking one though (plus the instruction manual).

I wonder if Men-A-Vision cheaped out and didn't include the instruction manual with the retail version?

Not always Omega and not so soon after each other. I am not saying anything is fake, I am just saying I am having a very hard time believing it which is my right ;)

Not always Omega and not so soon after each other. I am not saying anything is fake, I am just saying I am having a very hard time believing it which is my right ;)

What is that rule again? Orifices razor? Until I personally know it's not going to hurt I'm not going to let you stick it there?

Safety and cynicism first, people! :)

I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread on page 4 that if another one showed up, it would probably not go higher than $5k. How convenient the Ebay listing is at $5k right now. It may go higher, it may not. But I'm feeling better about my dilemma if I ever found one of these. Price is probably going to come down big time when more show up. And notice I said WHEN.

Phil

It's not that surprising that another one suddenly popped up with all the media hoopla the GameGavel one is grabbing. Sadly, it couldn't have come at a worse moment, as it may affect user "Air Raid"s sale if more are shown to exist before the end of the auction. That said, the box is in banged up condition. That still doesn't prove that more than 25 of them were ever produced. Men-a-Vision's "Air Raid" was obviously a commercial failure, otherwise it wouldn't be worth a crapton of money now. The Baby blue cart with the "T" handle only adds to it's unique appeal.

I've got an Air Raid cart magnet from the AtariAge store laying around, but too bad it's not playable. I even added a handle to it!

post-33189-0-50137100-1351354690_thumb.jpg

http://www.atariage....aid-magnet-mod/

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Here is some insight why people suspect it to be genuine. It's the funky powder blue T shaped cart. People can fake boxes, but it's much harder to fake the cart. Because of that the person running the scam would have to find a completely different Air Raid cart at some yard sale, and instead of being OK with the $2,000 to $3,000 that it will bring they decide to up the risk by faking a box. Usually scam artist are not going to go through the trouble of acquiring a real previously unknown cart, and then faking the box. It's just not worth the hassle.

Edited by homerwannabee
  • Like 1

I like this part of the manual:

Look for Men-A-Vision video games wherever you buy game cartridges.

I'm pretty sure we've all been doing that already.

Ha! Had a good laugh there!

The back of the box has one grammar error, loan should be lone, and two spelling errors, skyscraper and onslaught.

What's with the incorrect drawing of the Atari joystick? Shows the red button in the lower left and the cord in the upper right, and says, "Hold your controller with the red button to your lower left toward your television screen." ?!

Here is some insight why people suspect it to be genuine. It's the funky powder blue T shaped cart. People can fake boxes, but it's much harder to fake the cart.

Nope. I know a lot of fellow action figure collectors/customizers that can match the color and make a mold for these pretty easily right in their own home.

Peace,

Chip

Here is some insight why people suspect it to be genuine. It's the funky powder blue T shaped cart. People can fake boxes, but it's much harder to fake the cart. Because of that the person running the scam would have to find a completely different Air Raid cart at some yard sale, and instead of being OK with the $2,000 to $3,000 that it will bring they decide to up the risk by faking a box. Usually scam artist are not going to go through the trouble of acquiring a real previously unknown cart, and then faking the box. It's just not worth the hassle.

I also think the locking store display case is an important piece of evidence that supports this guys back story.

• Like 3

Very interesting to see another boxed copy show up on eBay. I think it's healthy to be skeptical of this new copy--after all, we've gone 30 years and suddenly in the lsat two years we've seen three boxed copies of this game appear. I'm a bit surprised that another copy didn't surface soon after the first copy in 2010. After all the publicity the first game received, I'm sure many people hunted around to see if they had one. Since it took two years for another copy to appear, I really doubt we're going to see a flood of these games. Unless, of course, a pallet of them is found in a warehouse in South America, but I doubt that's going to happen. It's more likely that if some large stash of these games existed, they've long since been destroyed.

..Al

• Like 2

Nope. I know a lot of fellow action figure collectors/customizers that can match the color and make a mold for these pretty easily right in their own home.

Peace,

Chip

It's true, if you have an original to use then you can make a mold pretty easy. I was debating trying to make an atari cartridge mold (not for fakes, just for fun or maybe something cool for homebrews) here at the machine shop. I researched it quite a bit and there are actually some ways anybody can do it using plastics/resins/etc.. Make magazine has a really cool "how to" step by step on it that shows how you can do it at home. The problem I see with it though is the original can get damaged in the process so you would have to risk sacrificing an Air Raid cart to do it...

For the same price as an air raid you could probably contact an injection molding company and have a die made...

It's possible that the one on ebay is the rumored first boxed copy found (see this post). The auction mentions that he acquired someone's collection in a storage unit auction. He also has other rare games listed.

Pitfall Harry's post mentions that the owner ultimately left the hobby and was no longer interested. It's possible that he disowned the storage unit that Air Raid was in (not even knowing that Air Raid was in the storage unit).

• Like 1

Very interesting to see another boxed copy show up on eBay. I think it's healthy to be skeptical of this new copy--after all, we've gone 30 years and suddenly in the lsat two years we've seen three boxed copies of this game appear. I'm a bit surprised that another copy didn't surface soon after the first copy in 2010. After all the publicity the first game received, I'm sure many people hunted around to see if they had one. Since it took two years for another copy to appear, I really doubt we're going to see a flood of these games. Unless, of course, a pallet of them is found in a warehouse in South America, but I doubt that's going to happen. It's more likely that if some large stash of these games existed, they've long since been destroyed.

..Al

From the story for the second one, it sounded like it wasn't selling very well. Perhaps only the demo copies passed around to retailers has the instructions... or the instructions were simply lost to the other two boxed copies. Instructions are easy to lose.

I doubt a pallet full would show up, but I wonder how many boxed and unboxed ones are really out there. That is a complicated cart design. I used to know someone that worked in plastics, and custom molds are expensive. Seems unlikely someone would go through the trouble just to make 20-30 copies. Then again, perhaps it was a group that had some capital to burn, came up with the concept before it looked like the crash was on the horizon, and did go through the trouble. I guess we will never really know until someone that was legitimately with the company comes forward.