IGNORED

10-17-2012 Found Air Raid with original box

AIR-RAID

Name one.

...besides Grid Grabber, that is, though even that one was dumped (just not distributed). Name one unreleased NES game that has been "lost to time."

The Legend of Zelda 3: The Triforce Saga ;) :P

Seriously though, it's good to know that Grid Grabber was dumped. I didn't know that.

THERE'S A WHOLE CASE OF AIR RAIDs IN THE BASEMENT, I AM BUYING MY PLANE TICKET RIGHT NOW.

No kidding! I've got the Midas touch, well sort of. But instead of gold, everything I touch turns into Air-Raids. :rolling: Then I went to embrace my fiance... :_(

In all seriousness, user Air Raid "Gotsta Get Paid"!

Sorry couldn't help the ZZ-Top reference. That song popped into my head when I saw the $15800 price tag... :music:

Edited by stardust4ever

Agreed.

I've only seen pictures and video, I don't think anyone else has seen it in person yet except the sellers. If someone wants to fly me out there, I'd be glad to go look at first hand. However, if you're only 20 minutes away, that would seem like a no brainer. I will vouch for you. :)

..Al

10-4

That is not a bad idea as half of the bidders don't even have bidding histories.....

I also wanted to mention that I have been bombarded with requests to buy my copy and I go for this current one......not sure what to do at this point....been offered some nice amounts of $$ which makes it worthwhile for me to go for it since it might be an alternative and cheaper option for a collector. Oh, I did check the inside of my copy and there was no instruction manual.... LOL... :)

BTW, has this game been verified by somebody in the community??? This person lives in Pomona (that is like 20 minutes from me).....I don't mind verifying it (I can bring my copy to make sure as well)....especially if I can check out the Atari Display... ;)

You can verify yourself it once you win it and pick up in person. :twisted:

• Like 1

That is not a bad idea as half of the bidders don't even have bidding histories.....

I also wanted to mention that I have been bombarded with requests to buy my copy and I go for this current one......not sure what to do at this point....been offered some nice amounts of $$ which makes it worthwhile for me to go for it since it might be an alternative and cheaper option for a collector. Oh, I did check the inside of my copy and there was no instruction manual.... LOL... :)

BTW, has this game been verified by somebody in the community??? This person lives in Pomona (that is like 20 minutes from me).....I don't mind verifying it (I can bring my copy to make sure as well)....especially if I can check out the Atari Display... ;)

I think you being the one to verify it would be perfect. Just don't let the boxes touch though. The same matter occupying the same space will destroy your universe and ours. Yes, I know where your collection is. ;)

I think it's really cool that a lot of us are looking toward the preservation of the cartridge, box and manual. The stories behind the find AND the building where the company was supposedly headquartered both make for fun reading. I hope someone makes some notes of this for after the auction, cause once it's done, this thread is gonna get buried. ;)

It also appears the current owners bought it in 2004, so getting previous tenant names is probably not possible without locating the owner that had it in 1982.

The information will not be searchable online, but most every major city had a "City Directory". This is like a telephone directory, but it is also searchable by municipal address. It would list the various tenants in the building.

The LA Public Library has digitized a few directories, but nothing between 1973 and 1987.

http://rescarta.lapl...RcWebBrowse.jsp

Someone local to LA will have to make a treck to the library to check the 1982 edition. Since the address is known, it will be a 15-minute task to discover who the tenants were in that building.

In 1987, the space was occupied by the Million Dollar Drug Co.

http://rescarta.lapl...doc=1702 Sunset

ETA: A polite request to whichever department of the library holds these directories may get positive results; asking for a specific address for a particular year is a reasonable reference question.

Edited by jhd
  • Like 3

The information will not be searchable online, but most every major city had a "City Directory". This is like a telephone directory, but it is also searchable by municipal address. It would list the various tenants in the building.

The LA Public Library has digitized a few directories, but nothing between 1973 and 1987.

http://rescarta.lapl...RcWebBrowse.jsp

Someone local to LA will have to make a treck to the library to check the 1982 edition. Since the address is known, it will be a 15-minute task to discover who the tenants were in that building.

In 1987, the space was occupied by the Million Dollar Drug Co.

http://rescarta.lapl...doc=1702 Sunset

ETA: A polite request to whichever department of the library holds these directories may get positive results; asking for a specific address for a particular year is a reasonable reference question.

Nice job on the research, someone local needs to figure out this mystery. Finding the owner(s) of this company could answer all our questions about the game.

Million Dollar Drug, Inc. was incorporated on 4/28/1981, but had a main address of 301 S Broad St, Los Angeles CA 90013. Looking at the pictures on Google maps, it looks more like a residence than a business. This looks like a strong candidate as the company behind the game. People thought video games were just as bad as drugs back then. :)

Heh, heh. Sounds kind of silly, but I felt the same way getting the first bid in on the gamegavel Red Sea auction. It was all mine for several minutes....

I had the first bid for the eBay Red Sea Crossing. It was cool until I kept seeing notices that I was outbid and better bid again so I don't miss out as it was climbing into the $1,000s. Every time I'd see it I was like, "Duh!"

• Like 1

Yeah, get a picture of the two of them together! :D

Mitch

It appears to be clear that whoever was responsible for the game was in the Los Angeles area. Unfortunately, they did not register the company name "Men-A-Vision", or any variant, with the secretary of state, like a legitimate company would have.

Not true. In most states, you're not required to register your company until you gross around $3000 profit. Considering that, it explains why they wouldn't have registered. They were probably waiting to see how it would sell before they did that. Companies are legally allowed to function as companies without registering until they reach that amount. On another note, only $17K (or whatever it was before this current price) reserve! Man, I would not let this thing slide for less than $40K considering the price of the last one. I'd wait it out, in the current economy you might not get as much as you could. Hell, 17K is awesome, but it's highly unlikely another one like this is ever going to appear. The NTSC Mangia I have is one of only two, I believe, that have appeared in the last five years, and that game probably had a release within the hundreds at least, maybe only a few.