IGNORED

Donkey Kong XM Pre-order and demo

tep392

Crazy Kong has that bug, not?

Yes, it's Crazy Kong, not Donkey Kong. I used to play that all of the time back in the day. I always exploited that bug, and the one on the cement factory screen where you can 'put down' the hammer (drop the hammer in the down position) and it will destroy anything that comes in it's path - even after it disappears. :)

Bob

There's also a bug that you can jump out of the screen, first screen level 2.

And there's an invisible elevator second screen level 2.

Wow - never knew about these... I'd like to see those in action :)

Also, I stand corrected about it only being Crazy Kong. I did some research, and apparently an *early* version of DK had the same bug about jumping off the first girder and through the floor.

It was fixed right away, though. Don't know how many made it out there.

Bob

Wow - never knew about these... I'd like to see those in action :)

Also, I stand corrected about it only being Crazy Kong. I did some research, and apparently an *early* version of DK had the same bug about jumping off the first girder and through the floor.

It was fixed right away, though. Don't know how many made it out there.

Bob

Thanks to MAME, cheats, and no fear of losing 25 cents, I found that Mario can jump through the floor on ANY level. However, if he doesn't go through the bottom level, he just dies when he hits the floor below him. I also found that trick works in Crazy Kong, by jumping off of the Oil Can. Mario can jump onto the oil can, as long as he is not too close to center. If standing in the right place, jumping to the left will allow Mario to bounce off of the wall just right and fall through the floor.

Yes this does work on an older version of Donkey Kong. This version, funny enough, also has the same "How High Can You Try?", instead of "GET".

The Colecovision version had a similar glitch. Walk to the first half ladder, go up the ladder and back down. Move Mario slightly to the right, so that the right ladder leg is centered on Mario. Jump to the right, and Mario falls through the floor. On the Original release, he would bounce all the way UP to the top level, following a slight delay. On later versions, they fixed it to just clear the level.

I bought an XM, but I have not received an expansion XM.

I would like to buy this game, but I'm not sure you get the expansion XM

Hi Marco,

Not sure if you understood correctly in the thread you posted in a few minutes ago prior to positng here:

http://atariage.com/...50#entry2725025

XM expansions are coming, you have not been sent out yet due to health complications. No need to doubt a few minutes later if you are going to receive one after just praising in the other thread that you will receive one [Your words: "My XM will be over!"]

XM are coming and this game is a must have purchase for it. Unfortunately you missed the first round of ordering. There will be another batch. Be sure to get your copy to play on your XM which you will be receiving ;)

Hi Marco,

Not sure if you understood correctly in the thread you posted in a few minutes ago prior to positng here:

http://atariage.com/...50#entry2725025

XM expansions are coming, you have not been sent out yet due to health complications. No need to doubt a few minutes later if you are going to receive one after just praising in the other thread that you will receive one [Your words: "My XM will be over!"]

XM are coming and this game is a must have purchase for it. Unfortunately you missed the first round of ordering. There will be another batch. Be sure to get your copy to play on your XM which you will be receiving ;)

Yes, this game is really nice, I hope to take it to the second round

Any idea how long before there will be ordering for the next batch? I'm another who has an XM ordered an need to start getting in line for XM games. :-)

I'll start taking orders for the next batch in about 2 months. I need to get the game buttoned up and current batch shipped asap.

• Like 1

I posted another updated demo. Main change is to Mario's sprites. Both KevinMos3 and Defender_2600 did some great sprite updates but I ended up going with Defender_2600's. Thanks to both of them!

I also tweaked Mario's speeds up/down ladders, which ended up being fairly complicated due to the way the code works. Jump distance was adjusted to be more arcade like. Cement container speeds were slowed down a bit to match the arcade as well. For the Japanese screen order option I modified the barrel logic so they don't go down a ladder when Mario is on it. Same as Japanese arcade machine. :) Last change was to clear objects when Mario completes a level or dies.

There isn't a lot to do now except to add HSC support. My next, and hopefully final update will inlcude it.

• Like 2

FLAWLESS...The game is absolutely flawless.

I cannot believe you added this too: "For the Japanese screen order option I modified the barrel logic so they don't go down a ladder when Mario is on it. Same as Japanese arcade machine."

You sir, are 'Donkey Kong God'.

BTW, how the hell did you stick a Donkey Kong arcade machine in the 7800? :-D

• Like 2

I don't know if I would go that far, but thanks. :)

Humility...A rare quality in a god, will only bring more supplication and thanks. :-D

THANK YOU, PERRY!

This port is perfect, and seemed impossible to reach this kind of accuracy and feel of the arcade on the 7800...It is truly spectacular.

• Like 1

I posted another updated demo. Main change is to Mario's sprites. Both KevinMos3 and Defender_2600 did some great sprite updates but I ended up going with Defender_2600's. Thanks to both of them!

I was away when Marco posted those so I didn't say anything, but I definitely like the work he did. He was much more thorough than I was, since I didn't touch climbing and barely touched the head. I like the new head much better. Excellent work.

The only real concern I have at this point is the red used for Mario. It looks like he's using the same color as the hammer, Kong, and the dark color of the fireballs (a "2" color)... in other words, a color that is too orange/brown. I really think his red should go back to the "3" color he had originally so that it's a more true red (as red as the 7800 palette has anyway).

Because most everyone is seeing this only in an emulator, I'll post some pics with the pixel aspect ratio semi-corrected. A real 7800 displays with a screen width approximately 80% the width of an emulator (same thing with the 2600). Stella lets you set the width so you can account for this, but Prosystem and EMU7800 do not; I don't know about MESS. So, here are a few pics with Mario in different positions representing approximately how it will appear on the real thing. You can really appreciate the arcade resemblance even more.

post-9364-0-87072300-1364793794_thumb.png post-9364-0-71329800-1364793795_thumb.png post-9364-0-41287900-1364793796_thumb.png post-9364-0-09964300-1364793797_thumb.png

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

The only real concern I have at this point is the red used for Mario. It looks like he's using the same color as the hammer, Kong, and the dark color of the fireballs (a "2" color)... in other words, a color that is too orange/brown. I really think his red should go back to the "3" color he had originally so that it's a more true red (as red as the 7800 palette has anyway).

:thumbsup:

Agreed.

• Like 1

Because most everyone is seeing this only in an emulator, I'll post some pics with the pixel aspect ratio semi-corrected. A real 7800 displays with a screen width approximately 80% the width of an emulator (same thing with the 2600). Stella lets you set the width so you can account for this, but Prosystem and EMU7800 do not; I don't know about MESS. So, here are a few pics with Mario in different positions representing approximately how it will appear on the real thing. You can really appreciate the arcade resemblance even more.

MESS aspect ratio and viewable area is accurate at default and even let's you manipulate the image however you want (Vertical/Horizontal stretching and cropping).

This is another 'issue' I have with the Prosystem emulator, besides the no CRT/NTSC simulation. Prosystem's image display is too wide.

Unfortunately, due to this 'new' cart/image type (The current Prosystem public release only supports it due to a lack of accurate emulation), MESS does not have support for it and the game does not run under it.