IGNORED

Donkey Kong XM Pre-order and demo

tep392

I've updated the demo in the 1st post. These are no longer full versions. When you reach the rivet screen at the end of a level, the screen just repeats without advancing to the next level. You can start at level 1,2 or 3 by selecting beginner, intermediate or advanced difficulty from the menu.

These are the updates.

- Fixed misc bugs

- Kong animation and barrel throw rate on girder screen matches arcade.

- Implemented different throw rates and firefox/fireball speeds based on P2 A/B switch. A=arcade, B=easier than arcade

- Implemented US/Japan screen order selected with P1 A/B switch. A=US, B=Japan

- Barrels on Girder screen start to dissapear when bonus timer drops below 400

- Updated elevator speeds to match arcade.

- Made window for checking if Mario is above or below a ladder 40% wider to make it easier to climb/decend.

There isn't a lot to do at this point.

Todo:

- Looking at allowing 3rd fireball on girder screen.

- A few tweaks here and there with jump distances.

- Fix some color issues. PAL colors look washed out in emulation. Don't have PAL system to verify on.

- HSC implementation.

Since people have been asking about TIA sound, I did some test code to implement a simple POKEY to TIA note converter but it sounded like a$$. Sound effects were ok but music was terrible. I probably won't have space for it either, so at this point, I'm sticking to POKEY/XM only.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Yikes! I was using level one to play around with the bouncer spawn rate on the elevator screen and forgot to reset it. You will only see level 1 elevators if you play the Japanese screen order. It's set for the level 4 spawn rate from the arcade machine. The graphics get messed up because I havn't updated the display lists to handle that many springs on the screen at one time. I'll fix it on my next update.

And thanks for the compliments. I really appreciate it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

msg-33164-0-98202700-1361176769_thumb.jpg

msg-33164-0-05148200-1361176774_thumb.jpg

msg-33164-0-01847400-1361176778_thumb.jpg

msg-33164-0-40880600-1361176782_thumb.jpg

Hi guys

Here are some pics of my box i designed for Donkey Kong XM, Its a plastic hard case similar to a Megadrive/genesis case, Its almost the same dimensions an an original 7800 cardboard case but comes in about half an inch shorter in height, A 7800 game fits perfectly inside and i think it will be a nice safe place for this fantastic game, if anybody is interested inbox me.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Just want to let everyone know that I'll be sending the final ROM to anyone who's purchased a cart for use in emulation or flash cart.

Perry

Hi! Just wanted to see if you had already sent out the final rom. Home with a sick kiddo and thought I'd play some DK. Hope all is well! Can't wait to play the real cart!

DK Jr. might be interesting. I actually prefer the 8-bit computer version over the 7800 even though it's graphics are not as faithful. I plan on upgrading Dig Dug next taking advantage of the Yamaha chip.

Id love to see you re-work pole position, its a fun game but given sharpened for arcade authentic visuals and pokey arcade sound this could be brilliant

Hi! Just wanted to see if you had already sent out the final rom. Home with a sick kiddo and thought I'd play some DK.

I'm sorry for sick kiddo, best wishes for a quick recovery (I think I understand that it's nothing serious, I hope not to be wrong).

Hope all is well! Can't wait to play the real cart!

I understand the wait, but please we try to not be in a hurry. :)

Our patience will be rewarded with a product of incredible and rare quality.

Other hand, I do not think it's very fun to play without sound.

Thanks again for your kind comprehension.

:)

Marco

Hi All,

Sorry for not posting an update lately. Here's what i've done. Doesn't look like much but it took some time to get the barrel throwing right and add the 3rd fireball. Also had some bugs that were tough to chase down. At this point I'm satisfied with the game and just need to get the HSC support added. I've been studying Pacmanplus's code and think I have a handle on how to do it now. I'm hoping to get that done in the next week and then send out a release candidate for testing. I'm really anxious to get this finished so I can build and ship carts. You have all been very patient with me and I greatly appreciate it.

Updates:

- Added 3rd fireball to ramps screen. Sorry, but I can't match the 5 on the arcade machine.

- Refined barrel throwing on ramps screen to match arcade.

- Reworked sprites for oil can fire, and updated fire animation

- Reworked sprites for fireballs

- Fixed misc. bugs.

- Updated menu screen to show screen order and difficulty switch setting.

Todo:

- HSC support

- Send out release candidate for testing.

Perry

• Like 3

Thanks Defender! I just regret putting that project on the shelf temporarily. I'm having to recolor my sprites due to the 7800's "warmup" issues and it is putting me behind. The greens and browns in my palettes are a concern for me. I also have a second project that is taking priority at this time, but UN will be a treat I hope. Then maybe I can con someone into working with me on a Tutankham or Popeye port.

First, however, I will clear a week off my schedule to play the masterpiece that is DKXM!

• Like 1

Doesn't look like much but it took some time to get the barrel throwing right and add the 3rd fireball. Also had some bugs that were tough to chase down.

Your humility is amazing. You and Bob have to be two of the most humble, modest, and generous people to grace the community. I'm extra grateful that you both have such an interest in the 7800.

Seriously, this has been longed for since I can recall. Even up to a couple of years ago it was stated to be 'near impossible' or easier to write from scratch without source code.

The talent and ability shown here is just mind-blowing and very much appreciated, Perry. Take your time, no rush or deadline here. Again, THANK YOU for this amazing product, even more so being my favorite arcade game of all time.

I recall discussing stuff like this on the Nexus boards back in '98-'99. It's almost 15 years later...several more weeks or longer is nothing ;-)

• Like 1