IGNORED

7800 games that should have existed?

Jaynz

.............THANKS JACK TREMIEL, YOU BASTARD!!!..... :)

For what? Going into his own pockets to take Atari's consumer division out of the deep, deep shit it was in? For personally paying GCE for the 7800 launch games they developed and were holding "for ransom" after James Morgan and Atari Inc. couldn't pay? For being the reason we ever got the 7800 at all? Yeah, what a dick. :P

[/derail]

:(

Yeah, Tramiel was in a pretty much impossible situation by the time he got on board (which doesn't excuse his genuine mistakes, half-assing releases didn't help in the long run, after all). You need to go back a few years in Atari's history if you're really looking to demonize people over why the 7800, et al., was stillborn.

Dude, the edit button is your friend. Use it.

Tramiel made some good decisions for Atari in the short run, such as the much-needed liquidation of old stock in order to get operating funds for Atari going. His main mistake was mis-reading what was actually happening in the gaming market (he wanted to replace Commodore, effectively, and was on the road to doing that), and he's far, far, far, from being alone on that score at the time.

If I'm not mistakin, from what I read about Tremiel, he wanted Atari to stop making video game consoles all together and just focus on home computers....

You are mistaken. If that were true he would have simply left the 7800 in mothballs and wouldn't have bothered with the Lynx or continued support of the 2600.

The quote you are referring to has been going around for some time, and has been taken out of context for some time. In fact, I'm not sure that it was ever actually even said. I have yet to see an actual source other than "somebody on the internet said it a long time ago."

If he actually said that, I have to image he was talking about arcade machines.

And why in the hell did he release the 7800 2 years late????? Huh huh hu, come on, tell meeeeee why??????? WHY???

He released the 7800 "2 years late" because, amid the chaos of Atari Inc.'s consumer division closing and a lot of projects getting cancelled and bills left unpaid, Jack possessed no software for the 7800 at the time he took over. GCE, who developed the 7800, also developed its launch games under a deal with Atari Inc., before Jack was even in the picture. And as Atari Inc.'s consumer business went kaput, so did their deal with GCE. So GCE was sitting on these 7800 games it had developed under a previous contract but not been paid for; naturally, they wouldn't hand them over until they had been paid. Jack was the guy who paid them. And between getting that kind of money together and tooling up for production and things like that, it took a little time. Launching a game console isn't something that can happen overnight.

Whatever his faults, Jack Tramiel was anything but the colossal douche-tard he's been made out to be over the years. He took the consumer division of a bankrupt company and not only got it back in the black (at great personal expense), but made it a contender again. Under Jack we got stuff like the ST and XE lines of computers, the 7800, the XEGS, the Lynx, the 2600jr. and some of the best 2600 games this side of Homebrewland.

It's not like the 7800 and 2600jr were waiting in the wings before Jack came along, said "Nope!," and then changed his mind after the Nintendo came out, as has often been written on the internet. These platforms were sidelined and derailed by the collapse and sale of Atari Inc.'s consumer division; it was Jack who brought them "back to life," as he'd intended to from the beginning.

LoL......he should of changed his mind in 1984 BEFORE NES CAME OUT.........

It's not like the 7800 and 2600jr were waiting in the wings before Jack came along, said "Nope!," and then changed his mind after the Nintendo came out, as has often been written on the internet...

LoL......he should of changed his mind in 1984 BEFORE NES CAME OUT.........

That's easy to say when you aren't sitting in the ruins of a company with millions up uncollectible accounts receivable, contractual messes and being crushed under the weigh of an enormous debt.

One of those contractual messes was the 7800.

• Like 1

That's easy to say when you aren't sitting in the ruins of a company with millions up uncollectible accounts receivable, contractual messes and being crushed under the weigh of an enormous debt.

One of those contractual messes was the 7800.

So basically, Old Jack was sort of like Barrack Obamma stuck in Bushes mess.....Hmmm, I see.....I think I understand now.....Well a by golly gee wiz.........................................:)