IGNORED

7800 games that should have existed?

Jaynz

Would Galaga 88 have offered anything or gotten close to the Sharp X68k or PC Engine ports?

"Gotten close" to the aforementioned systems' as it relates to their 16-bit graphics - I would have to state no.

However, we could have received something very decent and acceptable - it would have "offered" something worthy of inclusion under the 7800. :)

Think of the difference of Double Dragon or any of the other titles found on both the SMS and Genesis.

Many of them under the Genesis is (near) Arcade perfection and the SMS pulls off a good job as well.

Concerning Galaga '88, the Sharp and PC Engine are (near) Arcade perfection and the 7800 could have pulled off a good job too.

• Like 1

What in-house games could Atari have ported. Their arcade games 1984-1986. Some of these might have been nice. Assuming not half-assed like many of their games.

From this selection I think Paperboy, Gauntlet (esp. if there was a way to MacGyver 4 player mode), Marble Madness (sold as pack-in with Trak-Ball) and Rolling Thunder would have shifted a few units.

TX-1 Atari 1984 Videogame 04.gifFirefox Atari 1984 Videogame 09.gifReturn Of The Jedi Atari 1984 Videogame 01.gifPaperboy Atari Games 1984 Videogame 09.gifE.T. Atari Games 1984 Videogame 00.gifLast Starfighter The Atari Games 1984 Videogame 08.gifMarble Madness Atari Games

Peter Pack Rat Atari Games 1985 Videogame 01.gifIndiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom Atari Games 1985 Videogame 09.gifRoad Runner Atari Games 1985 Videogame 01.gifEmpire Strikes Back Atari Games 1985 Videogame 09.gifGauntlet (PlayChoice) Atari Games 1985 Videogame 01.gifGauntlet

Atari Games

Super Sprint Atari Games 1986 Videogame 09.gif720 Degrees Atari Games 1986 Videogame 09.gifRolling Thunder Atari Games 1986 Videogame 09.gifChampionship Sprint Atari Games 1986 Videogame 01.gifGauntlet II Atari Games

1987 = Xybots, Road Blasters, APB and Blasteroids

Edited by godzillajoe

What in-house games could Atari have ported. Their arcade games 1984-1986. Some of these might have been nice. Assuming not half-assed like many of their games.

From this selection I think Paperboy, Gauntlet (esp. if there was a way to MacGyver 4 player mode), Marble Madness (sold as pack-in with Trak-Ball) and Rolling Thunder would have shifted a few units.

TX-1 Atari 1984 Videogame 04.gifFirefox Atari 1984 Videogame 09.gifReturn Of The Jedi Atari 1984 Videogame 01.gifPaperboy Atari Games 1984 Videogame 09.gifE.T. Atari Games 1984 Videogame 00.gifLast Starfighter The Atari Games 1984 Videogame 08.gifMarble Madness Atari Games

Peter Pack Rat Atari Games 1985 Videogame 01.gifIndiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom Atari Games 1985 Videogame 09.gifRoad Runner Atari Games 1985 Videogame 01.gifEmpire Strikes Back Atari Games 1985 Videogame 09.gifGauntlet (PlayChoice) Atari Games 1985 Videogame 01.gifGauntlet

Atari Games

Super Sprint Atari Games 1986 Videogame 09.gif720 Degrees Atari Games 1986 Videogame 09.gifRolling Thunder Atari Games 1986 Videogame 09.gifChampionship Sprint Atari Games 1986 Videogame 01.gifGauntlet II Atari Games

1987 = Xybots, Road Blasters, APB and Blasteroids

And ex-Atari Inc programmer Steve Woita could've coded Super Sprint for the 7800 just as he later did for Tengen's [Atari Games'] NES version.

Ditto on the people from Canada saying the SMS was more successful there. I was searching eBay the other day for cheap SMS games and fully half of the results were from Canada. Would be a nice grab if it weren't for the trumped up shipping charges.

Another thing I don't get about the 7800 library: Since Atari were behind the many excellent Tengen NES games, why the heck weren't most of the Tengen catalog released on the 7800? Makes little sense to me.

Why didnt he?

Because he didn't work for Atari Corp. He left Atari Inc, it imploded, the Consumer Division was sold to Jack Tramiel and became Atari Corp in July 1984 while Warner retained the arcade division [sometimes referred to as "Coin" or the "original" Atari] which became Atari Games and owned the IP to all "Atari" arcade games made in 1984 and thereafter. Atari Games wanted a chunk of the consumer gaming industry but couldn't use the name "Atari" outside of arcades so they came up with the name "Tengen". Steve worked for Tengen and coded the NES port of "Super Sprint".

Atari Corp and Atari Games Corp didn't like each other and Atari Corp didn't successfully license any of their titles for any Atari console until 1989 and thankfully the majority of them did end up available for the Lynx.

Warner retained Atari Games until selling a majority share to Namco circa 1985, then Namco held onto them until circa 1990 and washed their hands of the troubled subsidiary by selling the company to the Atari Games employees who then sold it back to [Time] Warner who then tried to phase out the name in favor of Time Warner Interactive circa 1995 but then sold the whole thing to WMS Industries in 1996 who then spun all of their video gaming interests as Midway Entertainment who restored the Atari Games name until about 2000'when it became Midway Games West which was closed down circa 2004, then Midway went bankrupt and Time Warner bought all of the assets up and now all of that IP is assigned to their subsidiary WB Games.

I keep hoping Time Warner will buy up Infotari, put it out of its misery and then merge the IP into WB Games and rename it all as "Atari".

• Like 1

some 2600 games that would have been nice

Activision

Enduro

Ghostbusters

H.E.R.O.

Pitfall II

Pressure Cooker

Private Eye

River Raid II

Robot Tank

Space Shuttle

CBS Electronics

Gorf

Mountain King

Imagic

Atlantis II

Demon Attack

Parker Brothers

Montezuma's Revenge

Spider-Man

Tutankham

Tigervision

Espial

Miner 2049er II

Homebrew has come a long way to get improved ports out there. Hopefully some enterprizing coders will get some of the requests in this thread made eventually.

Our good friend Robert "Bob" Decrescenzo aka PacmanPlus has contributed so many new and improved arcade ports esp the Pacman themed ones; as well Ken Siders contributed Beef Drop (Burgertime) and B*nk (Q*Bert). Hopefully more great games to come in the future.

Honestly the Homebrew scene breaths so much new life into the 2600/7800 the stuff coming out is incredible. I got into 2600 because I was curious. I purchased the 7800 for the homebrew. :)

The 7800 must have never sold in Canada. As master systems and nes were everywhere and 7800 was only a number on some of the atari games on the flyer that came with later 2600 games. Just like the 5200 wth was that??

It wasn't heavily distributed, but definitely was sold here. I bought mine at K-Mart back in the day and games for it at Toy City and Toys R. Us.

• Like 1

A good port of Rolling Thunder would definitely make up for Impossible Mission on the 7800. Tengen's [well, Namco did it] port to the NES is definitely Nintendo-fied.

If it were done and accessed the XM, some of the arcade audio code could be re-used since the YM2151 was one of the sound chips used in the original.

Edited by Lynxpro

A good port of Rolling Thunder would definitely make up for Impossible Mission on the 7800. Tengen's [well, Namco did it] port to the NES is definitely Nintendo-fied.

If it were done and accessed the XM, some of the arcade audio code could be re-used since the YM2151 was one of the sound chips used in the original.

XM? Quad POKEY! Right?

XM? Quad POKEY! Right?

Honestly its the only way it would have worked.

The earth's axis would have been tilted an extra 3 degrees then allowing Canadians to build stronger igloos impermeable to all USA bombs thus providing us a full scale attack on Sunnyvale. The increase in hockey games over ice hockey games would be tremendous. Americans today would be saying Zed Zed Zed providing godlike stardom to Zed on police academy 3. Also there when they talk about shingling there roof their dog wouldn't ruff ruff ruff.

"Oh quad pokey.. failure of the modern world. Killer of the electric car. Developer of the alberta oilsands the evil canadian pipelines and the great japanese tsunami."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...