IGNORED

Is the IDE PLUS 2.0 still available (not at Lotharek)

Marius

I gave my second device to ProWizard as he had none. So if there will be a second run I´m in with one, too. I always love to have a second device to show around and let others get hands on at meetings (which we luckily have lots of here in Germany).

Funny enough we are collecting pre-orders but no one announced to produce it. But this device is absolutely worth trying it.

@simius

Well THAT IS GREAT NEWS!

Sorry to ask... I did miss this in the first thread... what is the optional ribbon cable? Is that like the PBI cable on BlackBox (so you don't have to mount the IDE+ directly to the atari XL?)

Like I wrote before: count me in for 5 interfaces... for a start...

Sorry to ask... I did miss this in the first thread... what is the optional ribbon cable? Is that like the PBI cable on BlackBox (so you don't have to mount the IDE+ directly to the atari XL?)

I´m not Simius but I can tell you, that is exactly that. I totally forgot about it, as I never used it.

OK clear... one last question: will IDE+ 2.0 interface the same when you order ribbon cable with it? Is the ribbon cable in fact an extender of the PBI port of the XL? In BlackBox this is a bit different. On blackBox there is this 'male 50pin scsi connector' where the XL ribbon cable connects too. On IDE+ pictures I only saw a 50 pin cart connector to put it back on XL. So how is it connected with ribbon cable?

Is there a feature to do a cold boot atari without doing a power cycle? And if yes... is this also available without SDX?

I read docs... Do I understand right that when one has a non DOS partition on D1 a disk drive on sio is needed (or a cart) to run fdisk again to swap partition?

Wouldn't it be possible to add a button that generates interrupt on pbi so a built in fdisk will run (or a default partition is mounted to D1:

As follow up of last question: is there a way of swapping partitions during operation?

Thx.

M.

@ProWizard: I am not sure if you saw this: http://drac030.krap.pl/ide-plus-config-screen-reference.pdf The doc contains answers to the first two questions.

That's true that one will need another drive (serial or parallel floppy, sio2pc or such) to run FDISK. It is good to keep D1: not monted on the disk for that reason.

BTW. IDE+ FDISK is old: I would first try to use SIDE FDISK, which supports APT format. In the old (IDEa) format swappng partitions is not possible.

Since the BIOS allows to mount and/or load ATR files, non-DOS partitions are no longer needed. Unfortunately, there is no way to "swap" anything during operation, as the hardware lacks the button you mention (and SIDE has).

Edited by drac030

@drac030

Wow!!! I did not see that reference. What a fabulous feature(s). I love this interface already (and I even did not use it yet!)

Now I definitely want 5 of these + 5 ribbon cables. Interesting device!

Would'nt it be cool if these ATR files you mentioned could be loaded from a FAT32 partition in stead SDX partition. Would that be possible too?

Please add ABBUC-member "Eintreiber" to the list with one device. He doesn´t speak english, so I take care about that. I´ve opened a thread in the German based ABBUC forums and collect requests there.

Done.

I would take this opportunity to ask you the question. Do you know someone (e.g. also ABBUC member) who lives in Essen (nord-west border, close to the Bottrop or just in the Bottrop) and would be willing to help in personal matter?

tfhh made a good comparison about the differences between SIDE2, MyIDE2 and IDE+ 2.0 at the ABBUC forums.

But it seemed, that not everything about the IDE+ 2.0 is well known. I don't want to disrespect any of them. All three are great devices. But like tfhh, I just want to help, if can't decide which of them to use.

Of course the IDE+ 2.0 does work with cartridges on unmodified XL/XEs. There might be constraints, but I don't have any issues with the cartridges and machines I use.

kmk2_thumb.jpg

Click to enlarge

Big advantage: The cartridge port still is available, even on XEs:

kmk3_thumb.jpg

Click to enlarge

This is not true for MyIDE2 and SIDE2.

And of course the IDE+ 2.0 has a built in, battery puffered realtime clock:

Big advantage: The cartridge port still is available, even on XEs:

kmk1_thumb.jpg

Click to enlarge

SDX can easily be flashed, as the BIOS can be, too.

If you are not really into SDX and you still want to use big harddisk partitions, running SpartaDos 3.x (disk version) you can not use MyIDE or SIDE on unmodified atari. MyIDE can run SpartaDos 3.x (disk version) but it needs an OS replacement. Although it works really well, it's a serious disadvantage.

The MIO, Blackbox and IDE+ will boot this from harddisk on onmodified atari computer.

The IDE+ is a cool small device, although the MIO and Blackbox also have a few other great features.

It's hardly impossible to have all in one device. The benefit of the cart-solutions (MyIDE / SIDE) is that they are the smallest (very portable).

Is the "Atari File Partition" released for use with the IDE+2? (My apologies, I'm not sure if I got the name correct.) It provides something like 137 possible partitions. But I think that it is only available now for use with SDX?

...not that I'll ever, ever, ever have 137 partitions on an Atari drive. :)

And in the comparisons, don't forget the Intenal flash MyIDE (also with advantages and disadvantages). My favorite computer (this week) is an 800XL with excellent keyboard, 512K SRam, internal flash MyIDE, and Super Video 2.1.

-Larry

Is the "Atari File Partition" released for use with the IDE+2? (My apologies, I'm not sure if I got the name correct.) It provides something like 137 possible partitions. But I think that it is only available now for use with SDX?

...not that I'll ever, ever, ever have 137 partitions on an Atari drive. :)

If you mean APT, then yes - on Drac030's website. It provides for a theoretically unlimited number of partitions, but the only currently available partition editor for APT (i.e. mine) imposes a hard limit of 128 partitions. It should work with absolutely any DOS, though. I'm making some improvements to the "any DOS" version of FDISK, and this will be the partition editor to use going forward - once it's ready.

And yes: I doubt anyone needs even 128 partitions. The program would have been MUCH simpler if it didn't have to cater for such a large number. ;)

Edited by flashjazzcat