IGNORED

Is the IDE PLUS 2.0 still available (not at Lotharek)

Marius

Today I received IDE plus from SKR. Nice interface... VERY nice!

Although I have some strange things.

First is that I already found a few CF cards in my inventory that do not work properly, while they work on my MyIDE and also on my Blackbox with SCSI -> IDE -> CF adapter.

I really thought this eternal search for working devices would be 'gone' with this IDE device. Ok... obviously I was wrong about that. No problem since I have enough working CF cards.

Second is with firmware 1.2 (I already e-mailed drac030 about it). I can not boot MyDOS from Sio D3: ...

The drive boots the MyDOS disk, but as soon as I type 'DOS' from the prompt, it refuses to go to DOS, but it gives all PRRRRRR (error 138 timeout sound).

when I boot from Sio D2: everything works fine.

I presume this is a BUG in 1.2 firmware? I'm new to this device; so it is always hard to know whether it is a bug, or a PEBCAC.

I'll try to downgrade to another firmware. Perhaps that will work better.

Is there a chance that issues with certain CF media will be fixed in later versions of firmware, or is it just bad luck?

And when it comes to the non working CF cards:

It's really strange: KMKDIAG (all disk tests done) finds NO error. It reports that the drive can be partioned. Ok... I do that... seems to work fine. Great.

As soon as I want to format it, it reports all kind of errors. As soon as I access the partition the atari freezes.

With the good working CF cards this does not happen, so I guess my device is ok.

The question is: how can KMKDIAG report that the drive is ok, and as soon as I want to do some drive access on this same CF card that it does not happen to work.

Hi Marius-

Can you post a picture of your Partition Table? Presume you are attempting to use drive redirection by setting D3: as your boot drive in the partition table? So MyDos still thinks that D3: in the partion table is actually D1:?

I just set D5: as my boot drive, and it boots perfectly from D5:. I'm also using bios 1.2. Here's a picture of my Partition Table. Perhaps I'm not understanding something you're doing.

-Larry

post-8008-0-92322100-1363720976_thumb.jpg

Hi Larry (and others)

Now I understand the confusion: I thought, that when I set in the config Boot Drive D3: , that D3: is becoming D1: (which would btw. solve the incompatibilities with mydos) and D1: would become D3: (a swap).

So after boot, I still was expecting that my physical drive D3: was seen as D1: ... now I understand that the system actually tries to boot D3: while it IS D3: ...

This is what I did:

I had a 1050 D3: with a MyDOS disk

I had on my IDE+ a D1: and a D2: partition and I wanted to format D2: as MyDOS

So I thought: I boot from D3: and do the format D2: from there. That is a no-go.

Still following me?

I think so... You assigned the boot status to "3" in the partition table, and thought that you could boot from your 1050 D3:. But the only way that you could boot from an SIO drive is to hold down START (a most wonderful feature, IMO). I always refer to these Partition Table "slots" as D1, etc. but really they are P1, etc.

The way that I would do this is

1) Make D1: inactive. (I set the active drive to an empty slot in the Partition Table.)

2) Boot your chosen version of MyDos from SIO D1:. For safety, make sure you establish a MyDos ramdisk, typically D8:.

3) Press RESET. Since D1: is inactive, the IDE should pause a bit then reload DUP.SYS from the ramdisk.

4) The IDE is now active, but no D1:.

5) Format D2: and write the Dos files.

6) Execute FDISK2.COM and make whatever changes are needed to the Partition Table.

I don't have Sparta on D1:, but to verify that this worked, I used two different versions of MyDos. (I now believe that 4.53/3 is the best version, FWIW.) Also, I always keep APE/SIO D7: handy, being a full HD D1: backup. That way I always have easy access to files that I might need like FDISK2.COM.

There may be another way to do what you are trying, but I'm pretty sure the above procedure meets your needs.

-Larry

Today I received IDE plus from SKR. Nice interface... VERY nice!

Although I have some strange things.

First is that I already found a few CF cards in my inventory that do not work properly, while they work on my MyIDE and also on my Blackbox with SCSI -> IDE -> CF adapter.

I really thought this eternal search for working devices would be 'gone' with this IDE device. Ok... obviously I was wrong about that. No problem since I have enough working CF cards.

Is there a chance that issues with certain CF media will be fixed in later versions of firmware, or is it just bad luck?

I tried an 8GB card by Digital Film that boasts *Ultra High Speed* on IDE+ and it partitioned fine. KMKDiag didn't see any problems, but when I tried to copy more than 20 files to any partition, I would get a "Sector Not found" error when trying to add more files.

Just tried a 2GB Sony 133x and not having any big issues when copying 60+ files to a partition, only getting a seldom *File is Read ONLY* on copy.

On a toshiba mk2103 2 GB real drive, no problems at all...

On the blackbox with the scsi -> ide -> cf adapter I had similar experience with certain (especially larger cf cards) but that was simply fixed by using another cf card reader. Most of my readers only accepted till 512 mb cards and not bigger.

The I found a newer cf card reader and that issue with the bigger cards was solved.

I will try to find a better 44 pin ide cf card reader, since I only have one.

Perhaps it has something to do with not supported address lines in older readers, so not all memory can be addressed?

A rather good way of testing whether a CF card is REALLY 'safe' to use is running the FMTDIR program that was originally delivered with the blackbox. (It also runs on non blackbox expanded atari's)

This one has a verify disk function, which accesses all sectors on disk. All CF cards with 'problems' so far, do report issues with FMTDIR. If FMTDIR does not report any problem, I think one can be 'sure' that the CF card will function 100% error free too.

The error reports from FMTDIR are 'bad sectors' ... ofcourse these are not REAL bad sectors, but in the time that FMTDIR was written no flash media was used on atari 8bit; only real harddisks. Hence the name 'bad sector' in FMTDIR.

It's really strange: KMKDIAG (all disk tests done) finds NO error. It reports that the drive can be partioned. Ok... I do that... seems to work fine. Great.

The test KMKDIAG does is rather minimalistic: it aims to test the connection itself rather than the device. So if the data transferred looks stable and sane and there are no typical hardware problems (like lost bytes or spurious bytes, flipping bits etc.), it says OK. The MBR test only reads and writes the MBR (sector 0) in similar manner, if it is OK, it is said that the drivecan be partitioned, i.e. if the partition table will be written to sector 0, it looks like the data will be held there.

Of course, I could add a more extensive tests, but these would have to be destructive, i.e. overwrite a part of sectors. I am a bit reluctant to do that.

Maybe it would make sense to perpare a list of CF cards (and CF card adaptors) which make problems. This may hep to fix the problems, either in hardware or possibly even in software. I am myself using a real disk (with spinning platters) and have no problems whatsoever with it.

Edited by drac030

You guys with "card issues" might check out H2testW (for Windows). This has gotten a lot of good buzz. There is an included text file that explains the program.

There is a link on this page to the ZIP file with no "funny stuff."

http://androidforums.com/gome-flytouch-3/345645-h2testw-1-4-detecting-counterfeit-flash-drives.html

-Larry

@drac030: thanks for your reply! That makes a lot of sense! Thanks.

@larry: I'm going to watch that as soon as I'm home again.

I have some more experience now with the IDE+ and I am very excited about it.

I still have some issues to fix/understand... but I think this is a very nice interface.

And ... it's cool to understand that there is still development for it, so perhaps in future it will be even better!

Greetz

M.

OK I'll increase my order from 5 to 8 interfaces AND 8 ribbon cables. I have a collegue that is interested too, and my motto is: you have never enough of atari gadgets... so now we come close to 25 ...

Anyone else?

Oh and one other request:

is it possible to put a battery holder in stead of a soldered battery on the PCB?

Edited by ProWizard

OK I'll increase my order from 5 to 8 interfaces AND 8 ribbon cables. I have a collegue that is interested too, and my motto is: you have never enough of atari gadgets... so now we come close to 25 ...

Anyone else?

Are you sure? Of course, I welcome any declaration, but it may not be necessary.

Oh and one other request:

is it possible to put a battery holder in stead of a soldered battery on the PCB?

There is no space on the top of PCB.