IGNORED

Have the prototypes been preserved somewhere?

Doran

Try getting Tempest to reveal his PC4 surprise - Impossible Mission or what!?  

You'll have to wait and see! :D

Unfortunately through much testing we've discovered that the game really isn't all that playable. It looks as though it's in the early to middle stages of completion (maybe 35% to 40%), but alot of the gameplay hasn't been defined yet. Still it's pretty neat, and everyone should get a kick out of it.

Due to its incomplete nature I'm not going to be selling copies at the show, but I will release the rom afterwards.

Tempest

I hate it when people say that. If it's so confidential, what is the need for anyone to know about it?   :?

But doesn't that make a collectors life even more interesting? ;)

Not necessarily, as it most likely will only fuel the debate on ROM and prototype releasing, which we can all do very well without if you ask me... :ponder:

Cheers,

Marco

Not necessarily, as it most likely will only fuel the debate on ROM and prototype releasing, which we can all do very well without if you ask me... :ponder:

Oops, I didn't want to start a fire. Oh well, I guess I'm still to naive after all.

AFAIK those prototypes I mentioned are meant to be released soon. I hope that prevents any debate from starting.

Don't worry Thomas, I wasn't specifically talking about this or any other case. However, I've seen that debate start because of similar statements too many times. I understand it's kinda cool to say you own or know about previously unknown unreleased stuff (I probably have been guilty of it too...), but it only supports the ideas of people about inner and outer circles and other conspiracy theories.

Cheers,

Marco

I understand it's kinda cool to say you own or know about previously unknown unreleased stuff

Hey, I didn't do for that reason! I just wanted to give share the information that there is no end to unknow 2600 proto (as Glenn thought).

After all I don't need to prove that I am cool anymore. :)

BTW: If you'd know me better in real life you would probably call me the most uncoolest person you know. And I'm proud not to be cool! :D

The number of games known to exist but not in circulation are growing small.  That's why I closed down my VGAM egroups.

Here is the remaining list (from memory).

Cat Trax (will be dumped by AA)

I think the 2600 well is beginning to run dry, but there are still some very exciting protos for other classic platforms still to be circulated.

Like we still haven't gotten Mail Plane or Batter Up for the Vectrex, for instance.

I have think, there exist a Dump from Cat Trax. Yes, also known as Cat & Mouse. It appear on a pirate Multicart I think, and someone already dump it in the past.

Well there's a problem with that.  I know of many unreleased prototypes, but alot of them are to remain confidential (for now).  I'll try and give a list of the ones I know of that can be named.  

Thanks! I appreciate the info. Just curious - why are some kept confidential? Is there some legal reason behind it? Or just the wish of the owner to keep it out of the public eye? (I'm not looking for a specific answer, just some vague idea since I'm unfamiliar with the whole collecting scene).

Another question... the games on that list are known to exist. So, does that mean somebody actually has posession of them and they've been confirmed to be the real deal? Or are some of them in doubt? (ie. No real screenshots/video have been taken, no one has actually witnessed them running on a 2600, etc.) Are some of them thought to exist, but have never actually been located?

(I'm not trying to imply anything negative towards anybody with this. I'm just curious as to how a prototype becomes known to exist, versus something that's only suspected to exist.)

Also, has anyone ever found any evidence of Turbo for the 2600? I waited forever for that game to come out. Of course... it never did.

But here's why I was waiting:

From Electronic Games, September 1983, page 63, "Players Guide to Auto Race Games":

turbo.jpg

And from Electronic Games' 1983 Software Encyclopedia, page 33, Atari 2600 (VCS) section:

turbotxt.gif

Of course, I realize the screenshot is just a mockup. But I have to wonder if they hadn't been given a prototype for the review. Or would they have written that review based solely on that picture?

Thanks! I appreciate the info. Just curious - why are some kept confidential? Is there some legal reason behind it? Or just the wish of the owner to keep it out of the public eye? (I'm not looking for a specific answer, just some vague idea since I'm unfamiliar with the whole collecting scene).

A little of both. Some people are planning on releasing certain protos in the future and want them to remain a surprise until then, and some people have protos they're not supposed to have so they don't want to be identified.

Another question... the games on that list are known to exist. So, does that mean somebody actually has posession of them and they've been confirmed to be the real deal? Or are some of them in doubt? (ie. No real screenshots/video have been taken, no one has actually witnessed them running on a 2600, etc.) Are some of them thought to exist, but have never actually been located?

All the ones I've listed are in the hands of people with the possible exception of Mission Omega (although I believe he has it), Sharp Shot (which may be in the possesion of the Blue Sky Rangers), and possibly Unknown Activision Game #3 which was listed in the DP Guide addendum (first I've ever heard of it).

Also, has anyone ever found any evidence of Turbo for the 2600? I waited forever for that game to come out. Of course... it never did.

That's a toughie. To the best of my knowledge it hasn't been found yet, but enough evidence exists that it was a fully completed prototype and existed at some point. I saw someone selling one on Ebay years ago (97 maybe) but I don't know what happened to it and don't recall seeing any pictures. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has it and is holding onto it for a rainy day.

Tempest

Woo-hoo!  Geeks RULE.  :D

Me a Geek :?: Not at all :!:

I'm just way too lazy to pretend to be cool. :D

Dude, from my standpoint, being a Geek, Dweeb, or Nerd is actually a compliment. I'm not afraid to be proud of my Atari Geekness. :) That's no different from being "not cool" to me. ;)