IGNORED

Princess Rescue Now Available!

Albert

Princess Rescue would have been good as would have Halo. 10k isn't a huge amount but it is big. If a partner would get involved like PackRat and / or Good Deal it would help also assuming they don't all hate each other.

What happened to the guy who used to make translucent carts? I know he no longer does it but how did he do it and where are his molds?

Are you referring to the Star Castle guy, or someone else?

If Albert needs to raise money for an injection mold, then he could start a Kickstarter campaign and offer AA store vouchers as part of the reward tier. $35 for one game carts, $70 for two game carts, and so on. Any game in the store. I think clear plastic in addition to black would be an awesome material for homebrew.

I've bought similar games with clear NES shells; they are nice:

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=40

Yes, that. I'm told he went out of business and the former owner of PackRat bought the stock. I've been told by the new owner that only a handful of the clear carts are left. No idea about the rest. I like the colored carts even though I can imagine some collectors would cry if their games didn't all match.

Those carts are awesome! Pretty much just like the ones RetroUSB offers. Fact is, somebody paid for the injection molds to have these done. If the original molds still exist, and the wherabouts are known, they could likely be procured for much cheaper than tooling a new mold. It's a shame the boards only went up through 8k though.

Only problem is if Albert ever gets new cart shells made, my older AA homebrews will be insanely jealous! :lust:

Not for human consumption. :P

Unless you happen to be a termite! :rolling:

Finished the manuals and will be assembling, testing and labeling the carts in a bit. Had a busy weekend (participated in a 100K mountain bike race on Saturday) and didn't have time to work on these over the weekend. Still intend to get all of them out this week. :)

Manuals after I cut them on my heavy duty guillotine cutter (can cut a 1.5" stack of paper):

pr_manuals_1.jpg

And after I folded and stapled them:

pr_manuals_2.jpg

..Al

• Like 2

Had a busy weekend (participated in a 100K mountain bike race on Saturday) and didn't have time to work on these over the weekend.

Sounds like quite a workout. I'll bet your quads were pretty sore! :-D

Manuals after I cut them on my heavy duty guillotine cutter...

Whomp! :skull: Edited by stardust4ever

By the way, Princess Rescue got a shout out on Kotaku. Well done guys!

Can I ask how many worlds are in the final version? I have one the early ROMs on my Harmony cart that gets maybe half way through World 1-1 and I'm just curious what the final product ended up with as far as number of levels to play.

YouTube shows quite a few including the final boss.

Cool about Kotaku! Love some of the comments too.

I'm sure others could be more precise, but there are 4 Worlds of 4 Levels (some levels beginning to end are continued like the sky 1-3 Level has 2 segments) and the boss fight screens. So we're at 16 plus 4 boss plus 4 continued segments... More than 24 screens plus ending?

Go with 4 Worlds. :D

I haven't got past 2-4 yet.

I haven't spoiled the ending yet by watching YouTube. Only to the video of World 2 back when it still wasn't complete. I hear there IS a princess!

By the way, Princess Rescue got a shout out on Kotaku. Well done guys!

Can I ask how many worlds are in the final version? I have one the early ROMs on my Harmony cart that gets maybe half way through World 1-1 and I'm just curious what the final product ended up with as far as number of levels to play.

YouTube shows quite a few including the final boss.

Better yet, take a whiff of this. Wired's article just came out about it...

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/07/princess-rescue/

• Like 1

Cool about Kotaku! Love some of the comments too.

I'm sure others could be more precise, but there are 4 Worlds of 4 Levels (some levels beginning to end are continued like the sky 1-3 Level has 2 segments) and the boss fight screens. So we're at 16 plus 4 boss plus 4 continued segments... More than 24 screens plus ending?

Go with 4 Worlds. :D

You're making it too complicated. There are 4 worlds. Each World is divided into 4 levels. Each level is divided into two sceens a & b. The first screen of each level ends with Mario red plumber jumping down a pipe. The second screen of x-1, x-2, and x-3 levels end with Mario red plumber jumping onto a flagpole. The second screen of every x-4 level consists of a BJ battle. After the world 4 battle, you save the princess. Then you get to play the whole damn game over at increased difficulty.

So technically, there are 64 screens total (66 if you include intermissions):

intro screen - Mario red plumber paces back and forth inside a castle.

1-1a, 1-1b, 1-2a, 1-2b, 1-3a, 1-3b, 1-4a, 1-4b,

2-1a, 2-1b, 2-2a, 2-2b, 2-3a, 2-3b, 2-4a, 2-4b,

3-1a, 3-1b, 3-2a, 3-2b, 3-3a, 3-3b, 3-4a, 3-4b,

4-1a, 4-1b, 4-2a, 4-2b, 4-3a, 4-3b, 4-4a, 4-4b,

saves princess (replay all levels in hard mode, denoted by a star [*])

1*1a, 1*1b, 1*2a, 1*2b, 1*3a, 1*3b, 1*4a, 1*4b,

2*1a, 2*1b, 2*2a, 2*2b, 2*3a, 2*3b, 2*4a, 2*4b,

3*1a, 3*1b, 3*2a, 3*2b, 3*3a, 3*3b, 3*4a, 3*4b,

4*1a, 4*1b, 4*2a, 4*2b, 4*3a, 4*3b, 4*4a, 4*4b,

saves princess (star levels repeat ad infinitum)

Wow, that was complicated... :lol:

I haven't got past 2-4 yet.

I haven't spoiled the ending yet by watching YouTube. Only to the video of World 2 back when it still wasn't complete. I hear there IS a princess!

I haven't got past 2-4 yet either, sadly. There is still my video of me playing a beta of world 2 (also swearing a lot :ahoy: ) and several videos of the world 1 preview. Another beta tester uploaded at least one video of rescuing the princess. So far I've not seen an entire 100% playthrough of the final game yet. I haven't checked YT recently though. Edited by stardust4ever

Better yet, take a whiff of this. Wired's article just came out about it...

http://www.wired.com...rincess-rescue/

:

In putting together his recreation, Spry had access to some tools that Atari’s original programmers did not. A tool called Batari BASIC lets a would-be programmer use the well-known and simpler BASIC language to generate a 2600 program, as opposed to the more obscure and difficult Assembly language. And while contemporaneous Atari programs had to fit into ROM chips that were around four kilobytes in size because of the cost of the memory, that’s no longer an issue in 2013.

Maybe we'll see some new users in the bB forum soon.

Just read the Wired review, it sort of sounds like they cast it off as a novelty. Like anyone with a PC could whip it up on a rainy afternoon. Maybe I am a bit to nostalgic when it comes to the 2600, or just had a really lame game selection as a kid, but this is a gem!!!! My Mom was a big NES nut, I got her playing the 2600 again and bought her a copy of PR, every time I see her she tells me how much she plays/loves the game. And Dad tells me she needs a job. :) I just think it deserves a true review, by a hardcore Atari player?? Just my pennies worth.

Why; it's not like Nitnendo is gonna issue a C&D order??? |:)

maybe you remember the release of Gorf on CD for the Atari Jaguar. within a few weeks Midway sued the homebrew developer and it was "removed from the market".

I also wanted to write about it on my website, but I was afraid that maybe something similar happens.

W

maybe you remember the release of Gorf on CD for the Atari Jaguar. within a few weeks Midway sued the homebrew developer and it was "removed from the market".

I also wanted to write about it on my website, but I was afraid that maybe something similar happens.

Well, Wired is a pretty big media outlet, if things are still good after that I'd think that you'd be good to go for it.

• Like 1