IGNORED

Hive multi-cart - It's alive!

As far as I'm aware First Star have not given permission for a digital release of Boulder Dash. That means it won't run on an LTO Flash! either (unless of course you are running a pirate copy).

You are correct, First Star Software has not given permission for digital release. The folks involved with LTO have plans to demonstrate to them how it can be digitally released to specific individuals and remain under license.

Someone school me.

So, For example. A game, lets say Boulder Dash, will not work on the Hive because of the "Drm" that is written into the code?

Or

Because the Boulder Dash rom is just not compatible with the Hive?

What im getting at, is the reason a specific game just not compatible with Hive or CC3 BECAUSE it was written not to? And if whatever Drn code lock is taken out, will it work. Or is it because a game was written specifically for the JLP board. Can a game written for JLP board NOT have DRM?

Vica versa for any game written for Hive.

Sorry in advance for my lack of knowledge and if terminology is wrong. Cut me a break. ;-)

Edited by revolutionika

@Rev: Games written specifically for Bee3/Hive will typically make use of features that are not supported either by LTO Flash! or CC3. The accelerated Bee3 functionality that a game uses is game dependent which thus makes it hardware dependent. If you don't have the right multi-cart for a game designed to run on a particular consumer cart design, then that functionality will not be present and so the game won't run as expected.

DRM locks a game to a particular cart such that you can't pirate the game from the ROM image.

Games written specifically for Bee3/Hive will typically make use of features that are not supported either by LTO Flash! or CC3. The accelerated Bee3 functionality that a game uses is game dependent which thus makes it hardware dependent. If you don't have the right multi-cart for a game designed to run on a particular consumer cart design, then that functionality will not be present and so the game won't run as expected.

I totally agree. As is the case with LTO written games. They will not work on a Bee3/Hive, even without locking it to a particular LTO Flash. The exception would be D2K and DK, the ROMs Carl modified should work on an LTO, Hive, CC3 or Intellicart.

Someone school me.

So, For example. A game, lets say Boulder Dash, will not work on the Hive because of the "Drm" that is written into the code?

Or

Because the Boulder Dash rom is just not compatible with the Hive?

What im getting at, is the reason a specific game just not compatible with Hive or CC3 BECAUSE it was written not to? And if whatever Drn code lock is taken out, will it work. Or is it because a game was written specifically for the JLP board. Can a game written for JLP board NOT have DRM?

Vica versa for any game written for Hive.

Sorry in advance for my lack of knowledge and if terminology is wrong. Cut me a break. ;-)

We had the hardware compatibility discussion some pages back. To put it (hopefully) succinctly:

• If you write a program that requires features of a certain board, it will only work there...
  • UNLESS you can also write that program in a way to detect if the features are there, and if they are not, work around it

Example: Christmas Carol does this for a few things. If the hardware's not there, it just does things a different way, or not at all. In the case of Carol, it was nothing that affected the overall game play itself. IIRC it had something to do w/ level select in practice mode.

Another example would be saving high scores (or not), or using a "fast" random number or multiply feature, etc. Then again, if your game relies on hardware-accelerated features and is pushing performance so hard that the game really relies on that performance, 'graceful degradation' may not be possible.

In an ideal world, an author intending to release the ROM could detect 'GBFastMultiply' and use it if present, or 'LTOFastMultiply' and use that one if present. Even better, the Intellivision tool chain could make such things available so developers could take advantage w/o too much backbreaking effort.

I totally agree. As is the case with LTO written games. They will not work on a Bee3/Hive, even without locking it to a particular LTO Flash. The exception would be D2K and DK, the ROMs Carl modified should work on an LTO, Hive, CC3 or Intellicart.

I believe Christmas Carol will also work in an LTO Flash! and the HIVE. If the ROM map is different on the HIVE cart, then that's easily fixed.

So, now a intv programmer must choose to write a game for a certain 'platform'.

1. He can write a game compatible with cc3, hive, lto, they way everyone has always written games i guess.

2. He can take advantage of Lto specs and write a game for that 'platform', and it will only work on Lto unless specificly written to work on other platforms.

3. He can write a game that uses Specifics of Hive and it will only work on that specific platform unless specifically written to work on other platforms.

Is that correct pretty much?

Not saying anything is right or wrong, just trying to wrap my head around it all and bring it down to laymens terms.

Edited by revolutionika
  • Like 1

I believe Christmas Carol will also work in an LTO Flash! and the HIVE. If the ROM map is different on the HIVE cart, then that's easily fixed.

Hive adapts itself to the memory map it finds in the game's *.cfg file or in the information found as it "parses" the *.rom file for games. For legacy games it uses a "helper lookup table" so that you can copy BITD *.bin/*.int games onto Hive, without a corresponding *.cfg file and if it finds a match in its table it auto-configures itself. However, if it finds a matching *.cfg file for the BITD game it'll use that instead. That way, games can be temporarily patched for infinite lives/time etc.

Its been a while since I tested Carol on a Bee3 but it worked fine. Therefore I'm not expecting there to be a problem on Hive (they share common code).

• Like 2

Hive adapts itself to the memory map it finds in the game's *.cfg file or in the information found as it "parses" the *.rom file for games. For legacy games it uses a "helper lookup table" so that you can copy BITD *.bin/*.int games onto Hive, without a corresponding *.cfg file and if it finds a match in its table it auto-configures itself. However, if it finds a matching *.cfg file for the BITD game it'll use that instead. That way, games can be temporarily patched for infinite lives/time etc.

Its been a while since I tested Carol on a Bee3 but it worked fine. Therefore I'm not expecting there to be a problem on Hive (they share common code).

Is the idea for HIVE to support Game Genie type codes? If yes, that would so cool.

• Like 1

Is the idea for HIVE to support Game Genie type codes? If yes, that would so cool.

Personally, I thought that it'd be easier to have several copies of the BITD game and each would have a corresponding *.cfg that contained a cheat (or not). That'd be the modern equivalent ;). Having said that, I think its a neat idea to have manual Game Genie code entry, so I'll probably add that (if its feasible) but but it won't be in the 1st version.

• Like 1