IGNORED

Hive multi-cart - It's alive!

Nice pro LTO Flash! and DRM speech there SoulBuster . Oddly, I still don't feel the urge to go and promote Hive in any LTO Flash! threads because I'm not that desperate or insecure .

So, now you can upgrade to DRM on LTO Flash! .

Fixed that for ya!

I guess I do not understand your hostility. My post was not meant as a promotion, but rather to address questions and concerns that appear in this thread. Had they been posted in an LTO thread I would have responded there.

Just so everyone understands clearly what the upgrade means. Someone purchases the LTO Flash without the capability of playing Elektronite protected ROMs on it and later decide they want to. The upgrade gives your LTO Flash the capability at no extra charge. Without the capabaility you are still able to play every ROM that the CC3 can. With the capability you add the ability to play Elektronite games.

My post was not meant as a promotion, but rather to address questions and concerns that appear in this thread. Had they been posted in an LTO thread I would have responded there.

You say that its not a promotion but you mention Elektronite 7 times and LTO 8 times in a single post, thats definitely a promotion in my book :lol:.

Just so everyone understands clearly what the upgrade means. Someone purchases the LTO Flash without the capability of playing Elektronite protected ROMs on it and later decide they want to. The upgrade gives your LTO Flash the capability at no extra charge. Without the capabaility you are still able to play every ROM that the CC3 can. With the capability you add the ability to play Elektronite games.

And just so everybody understands, Hive plays every ROM that the CC3 can, every game that uses Bee3 acceleration and it doesn't have DRM :P.

You say that its not a promotion but you mention Elektronite 7 times and LTO 8 times in a single post, thats definitely a promotion in my book.

OK.

And just so everybody understands, Hive plays every ROM that the CC3 can, every game that uses Bee3 acceleration.

OK.

How much RAM is available for games to use? Is part of the RAM used for the game's "ROM" space? Just curious on that part of the specs. Thanks.

Its not set in stone but its roughly 7.5K words. It maybe a bit more or a bit less, depending on how much space I need to implement the remaining features before release.

Small ROM images that don't use RAM are loaded completely into RAM. However, small ROM images that use RAM are programmed into flash to leave all the RAM free for their use. If ROMs don't use RAM its not available in the memory map.

As my basic desire is just for a multi-cart to play existing games, I think I will opt for this product, mainly due to lower cost. I have nothing against the "DRM" as it has been explained for the LTO version.

I don't think it has been specifically stated, but I was wondering if the development of this board was something needed to support the production of the games who's release was delayed. If that is the case, the promotion of this ahead of their release would make sense. Or maybe just chronic multi-tasking.

Anyhow I am in, put me in the lottery.

• Like 1

I don't think it has been specifically stated, but I was wondering if the development of this board was something needed to support the production of the games who's release was delayed. If that is the case, the promotion of this ahead of their release would make sense. Or maybe just chronic multi-tasking.

The Bee3 was developed first and then Hive came along later. The Bee3s need a $40 microcontroller programmer to put a game on the PCB (via an edge connector) but that set-up isn't useful for collectors and gamers who just want to get to the "fun stuff". As I mentioned previously, the major thing that has held up game development is an acute lack of free time.

Thats pretty much what you had to do for the CC3 as well. The Hive will be supplied in a Mattel shell without a side access hole. Which means that developers can make an access hole (if they want) and collectors can leave it as is (if they want).

Once you've topped up the Hive's microSD with the ROMs you want to play then you'll most likely only need to access the memory card sporadically (as homebrews are released - should people release a ROM). As a developer, you might want to make an access hole in a donor cart shell and use that instead. As an example, the access hole in my own CC3 isn't pretty, but it certainly does the job :lol:.

Although I don't doubt most people won't need to access the microSD very often, I'm still curious as to why you didn't decide to have the microSD slot accessable from the top for convenience as most flash carts these days do? Also where are you getting the Mattel shells?

• Like 2

I'm still curious as to why you didn't decide to have the microSD slot accessable from the top for convenience as most flash carts these days do?

It just seemed more natural to me to have it at the side because thirty year old plastic tends to be quite brittle. Making a neat looking slot on a sloped surface of brittle plastic would be even more problematic, given that its quite challenging on a straight side (for me at least).

Also where are you getting the Mattel shells?

The usual place... commons ;).

It just seemed more natural to me to have it at the side because thirty year old plastic tends to be quite brittle. Making a neat looking slot on a sloped surface of brittle plastic would be even more problematic, given that its quite challenging on a straight side (for me at least).

The usual place... commons ;).

Is MicroSD and SD the same thing, but just a different form factor?

for example: could I make a small pcb with SD slot and then wire it to the MicroSD slot on HIVE?

• Like 1

Is MicroSD and SD the same thing, but just a different form factor?

They have the same electrical interface but different plastic cases. If you've ever taken a full-sized MMC/SD card apart to see whats inside, you'll see far more plastic than electronics.

for example: could I make a small pcb with SD slot and then wire it to the MicroSD slot on HIVE?

To be honest, its probably much easier and far cheaper just to purchase a standard microSD card, than it is to make a bespoke PCB. The microSD connector on the PCB is whats known as push-push, which in itself might cause a bespoke adapter to be unreliable. Actually, its a good question because it isn't something I thought anybody would want to do :lol:.

• Like 1

!!!! Breaking news !!!!

I'm proud to announce that the full version of CollectorVision's "Sydney Hunter & The Shrines of Peril" will be available DRM free on the deluxe version of Hive :D. Many thanks to J-F and his team for making that possible.

It's funny how you banging on this DRM thing. The fact is, Sydney Hunter will be running on a LTO Flash, but Boulder Dash will not work with a Hive cart.

• Like 1

It's funny how you banging on this DRM thing. The fact is, Sydney Hunter will be running on a LTO Flash, but Boulder Dash will not work with a Hive cart.

Yep! Its true that Sydney Hunter does not require Bee3/Hive functionality so it will run on an LTO Flash! However, the game will only be shipped with the deluxe version of Hive.

As far as I'm aware First Star have not given permission for a digital release of Boulder Dash. That means it won't run on an LTO Flash! either (unless of course you are running a pirate copy).

Yep! Its true that Sydney Hunter does not require Bee3/Hive functionality so it will run on an LTO Flash! However, the game will only be shipped with the deluxe version of Hive.

As far as I'm aware First Star have not given permission for a digital release of Boulder Dash. That means it won't run on an LTO Flash! either (unless of course you are running a pirate copy).

retroillucid: Although, as for CollectorVision, we always share the rom files once the game is soldout

Sidney Hunter and Space Raid will come to all Multi Carts (sooner or later).