IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

1 hour ago, FarmerPotato said:

Yeah. It's a shame that those DS990s probably will get junked.  And the world will have 2 less 8" floppy drives. 

I try not to be bothered by the amount of historical stuff which we never see winding up in the skip.  Fortunately, I have my 8" floppies :)

2 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

Yeah. It's a shame that those DS990s probably will get junked.  And the world will have 2 less 8" floppy drives. 

I wonder if the boards collection came out of the one with no keyboard?

Possibly but I saw at least some boards in that one through the faceplate hole (Where the right hand tape unit would go on a Model 770), I'm guessing they won't be junked, though.  If it the same person bid on the Lanier (and the FD1000 and the VDU), probably a collector, or a hobbyist. If the same person also bid on the /1 w/o kbd, probably not a keyboarder. Hope I'm right about that, anyway.

Edited by jbdigriz

2 hours ago, jbdigriz said:

Cool. For what machines?

I am not certain from what machines they came.  These are just 8" mechanisms and I picked them up from a couple of colleagues.  I had at one time used one of them with a KryoFlux to read my System/34 disk from high school with a copy of my library and the JCL scripts I wrote.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 3:49 PM, 9640News said:

Not Ebay, but someone may be interested.  Texas Instruments FD 1000

Lot - Texas Instruments (auctionzip.com)

I thought I would copy the auction photos here.  

All the TI lots sold for $2 - $12. I got the loose cards (Lot 493), but the rest was "Pickup Only". My hope is that the cards came out of the DS-990 (Lot 427)

FD1000 Dual 8 inch floppy Lot 430.png

DS-990 Parts Lot 493.png

DS-990 Intact Lot 433.png

DS-990 Shell Lot 427.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dhe said:

A little weekend humor, I purchased this item from the 'bay. After I make my millions - I will share the algorithm with you less fortunates. ?

image.thumb.png.1c53d5a34d68c47832ddc82da829dbac.png

I remember how local BBSes were flooded with programs like this. Oh, the days.  It was also easier to find fairly good hurricane trackers, but that is a little more niche.

5 hours ago, Switch1995 said:

This poor TI looks like it has been operating a coal mine shaft elevator for 40 years...and then got shipped to a Russian tank.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133947049546?hash=item1f2fddc64a:g:ukQAAOSwOeFhWi2e

Image 2 - Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer Video Game Console System in Box PARTS

At least they didn’t spray paint the keyboard!… But hey, the Wall of Overlays took a little work with copier, scissors, and Scotch tape.

7 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

This is a very fair price for a tested/working PHP1250 and PHP1240

Probably not a lot of folks here who have a PEB but still need a full height SSSD disk drive and controller, at this point in history. 

But a reasonable option, if for some reason one did. 

That is a good price for someone just getting started, I still have my Full height drive, but installed 2 Half heights 30+ years ago, now I have one 5.25 and 3.5  There are a few PEB's on ebay at the moment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GDMike said:

No, the photos deliberately taken of the 384K ram disk means that you can have it at a separate price, even though it wasn't removed from the peb, so there! Pooey on yooey.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185247931161?hash=item2b21a31b19%3Ag%3AHtYAAOSwQeNh2ebJ&LH_BIN=1

Ah yes, misleading photos and woe-to-the-buyer-who-doesn't-carefully-read-the-description approach to selling.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Ah yes, misleading photos and woe-to-the-buyer-who-doesn't-carefully-read-the-description approach to selling.

Sellers need to be careful when doing this.  eBay has approved claims of “not as advertised” if something is pictured in the item and if it’s not included.  They demote they description on their mobile app, and a lot of people look through pictures only as as the condition that is described in the status.  If you put an item as “used” for the status but put “for parts or not working” in the description, it likewise is an inconsistency and opens you to claims. 

• Like 4

Vintage Texas Instruments 1500 Computer S1505 25Mhz Motorola 68030 8mb Ram

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313771609454?hash=item490e3ecd6e:g:wk0AAOSwOGFhoviH

s-l1600-2.thumb.jpg.d908693313a3aea4181e5866c747dd39.jpg    s-l1600-9.thumb.jpg.b15d1186c867fd41c07d218fe4c0f46a.jpg

This is a Texas Instruments Small Business 1500 computer. A complete break from the 9900 family, it shipped with TI UNIX, a derivative of AT&T System V release 3.  TI UNIX was shipped from 1987-1992. They also branded TI X and TI Motif for graphical interface. 

The SB1500 is notable for introducing NuBus, a system architecture which TI acquired by purchasing NuMachine in 1983.  CPUs (multiple) and peripheral cards plugged into a common NuBus backplane.   TI used the 68020, 68030, or 68040 CPUs.

Hardware of the SB1500 is compatible with the TI Explorer, a LISP machine, which was the goal of NuMachine. (by rumor, SB1500s get dismantled by Explorer owners, for parts.) 

NuBus also appeared in Apple's Macintosh II, and NeXT's workstations. 

Bitsavers has a few manuals.

• Like 8