IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

I just heard about this yesterday and cant wait. I havent had a Intellivision in a long time and have been playing thru emulation with less than ideal controls. I cant wait to play Night Stalker to way it was meant once again.

If you ever buy an actual Intellivision, you may be interested in this:

378;514;43bf8fdf6bf03a151c724b9a09a58ca5

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sure we need something with a cart slot. Why can it be possible for the Sega versions and not the rest? I have original carts in perfect shape, that haven't seen the light of day since my INTV 3 gave out in 1992 or so. Not willing to dive into an ebay console with no way to repair it and not enough personal knowledge to mod it. Also have full documentation and boxes as well. There are so many great titles out there BT, Diner, He-Man just to name a few. Never see them again w/o a cart slot. If the game list follows Intellivision Lives there is not much to get excited about other than a fully functional Intv controller

• Like 1

Sure we need something with a cart slot. Why can it be possible for the Sega versions and not the rest? I have original carts in perfect shape, that haven't seen the light of day since my INTV 3 gave out in 1992 or so. Not willing to dive into an ebay console with no way to repair it and not enough personal knowledge to mod it. Also have full documentation and boxes as well. There are so many great titles out there BT, Diner, He-Man just to name a few. Never see them again w/o a cart slot. If the game list follows Intellivision Lives there is not much to get excited about other than a fully functional Intv controller

It's just not going to happen. However, there are some wonderful modded Intellivisions on eBay. Not too long ago I got both an Intellivision Master Component and an Intellivision II, each with composite mods, that I'm very happy with. Starting around $120 if I recall correctly, the price of entry is not that high either.

It's just not going to happen. However, there are some wonderful modded Intellivisions on eBay. Not too long ago I got both an Intellivision Master Component and an Intellivision II, each with composite mods, that I'm very happy with. Starting around $120 if I recall correctly, the price of entry is not that high either.

Is it costs that makes the Intv cart unfessible or something in the build?

Is it costs that makes the Intv cart unfessible or something in the build?

There are many factors, but cost is certainly one of them. Think about it. This is a mass market product meant to retail in the $30 - $60 range and target those who are nostalgic for the platform, but not necessarily still active with it. What would the main audience this is targeted to do with a cartridge slot? Where would they get cartridges? Who do they go to if those 35 year old cartridges don't work? Etc.

For the cartridge audience, we still have original hardware that has proven to be pretty reliable. As was stated, eventually an FPGA solution should come forward to take care of the original hardware issue (which might not be an issue for another 20 years). With that said, I consider it a HUGE victory for our community that both the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks will come with controllers interchangeable with the original hardware. To this point, those have proven to be bigger failure points than the consoles themselves (though, to be fair, the original ColecoVision hardware does have consistent power switch issues).

• Like 4

I agree with that. Control was what was wrong with the last round of console remakes. Is there anybody doing mod work for pay if I can find a solid unit? Being disabled I can't tackle it myself.

This has been my go-to guy for pre-modded systems: http://www.ebay.com/sch/glennfre/m.html?item=171353918622&hash=item27e57d4c9e&pt=Video_Games&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Sadly, I think any of the Disney stuff will be excluded on all platforms, even with stripped licenses. We'll see, though. To me, the biggest loss on all of these is Activision stuff, simply because we not only lose their stuff, but also all the Imagic stuff. In fact, it slips my mind at the moment, but I think Activision has another publisher's catalog in their IP stable as well. I can't possibly imagine why Activision would care, especially since I'm not aware of their own such product, even a digital only one, but there you go.

Sadly, I think any of the Disney stuff will be excluded on all platforms, even with stripped licenses. We'll see, though. To me, the biggest loss on all of these is Activision stuff, simply because we not only lose their stuff, but also all the Imagic stuff. In fact, it slips my mind at the moment, but I think Activision has another publisher's catalog in their IP stable as well. I can't possibly imagine why Activision would care, especially since I'm not aware of their own such product, even a digital only one, but there you go.

There were compilations of Activision games for the Atari 2600 for Windows - which you can actually make play on a Win 7 machine. There was also a C64 completion. And Telegames did a compilation of CV Activision titles for the PC.

Activision really does not know what it owns -- it may have given rights to the Intellivision games to the BSRs. But it is big enough to cause trouble. Not having it does not hurt an Atari 2600 or Genesis library but it is a bit of a limiting issue for the Intellivision or the CV.

Still I look forward to the systems,

Edited by mdoerty

There were compilations of Activision games for the Atari 2600 for Windows - which you can actually make play on a Win 7 machine. There was also a C64 completion. And Telegames did a compilation of CV Activision titles for the PC.

Activision really does not know what it owns -- it may have given rights to the Intellivision games to the BSRs. But it is big enough to cause trouble. Not having it does not hurt an Atari 2600 or Genesis library but it is a bit of a limiting issue for the Intellivision or the CV.

Still I look forward to the systems,

Well, most of those Activision did themselves, and they also licensed a dedicated Activision TV game and usage on an earlier Flashback. In most of those cases it was JUST Activision stuff. If I remember correctly, the Telegames release was just the stuff they already owned from the original license transfer agreement and I have a feeling they wouldn't be able to do it again. Frankly, I think Activision is just too big and otherwise focused at this point to bother with the relatively small income that involving themselves with stuff like this would bring.

I disagree about the limiting factor thing. I think it's a loss on all but the Sega stuff. Activision was obviously definitive and historically important on the Atari 2600, and had some solid releases on the Intellivision, and, to a lesser degree, the ColecoVision. Still, even though there is no Activision stuff on any of these, what is there is solid. It also looks like the Imagic stuff has been decoupled from Activision, so there's that.

"It also looks like the Imagic stuff has been decoupled from Activision, so there's that."

Really? What's that about? Imagic on Intellivision was unique and cool, and would immensely increase the appeal of a Flashback for me (as would Parker Brothers and Coleco's arcade ports, but I won't be greedy).

Some of my favorite games from that era haven't been remade or bettered elsewhere (Activision's Dreadnaught Factor, Imagic's Microsurgeon -- wouldn't it be amazing to see those concepts with Pixeljunk graphics?)

"It also looks like the Imagic stuff has been decoupled from Activision, so there's that."

Really? What's that about? Imagic on Intellivision was unique and cool, and would immensely increase the appeal of a Flashback for me (as would Parker Brothers and Coleco's arcade ports, but I won't be greedy).

Some of my favorite games from that era haven't been remade or bettered elsewhere (Activision's Dreadnaught Factor, Imagic's Microsurgeon -- wouldn't it be amazing to see those concepts with Pixeljunk graphics?)

Sorry to give false hope with my clumsy statement, but the Intellivision Flashback has no third party stuff, just Mattel and INTV titles. The ColecoVision Flashback is the one with a wide range of third party stuff on it (no pure Activision stuff though, of course).

Yes, I understand that we won't see Activision or Imagic titles on this Intellivision flashback, but what did you mean about Imagic being decoupled from Activision? Since we haven't seen any Imagic collections since "Intellivision Rocks" except for little cameos on the PSP Activision collection, I've wondered why these titles have disappeared from release. Are you saying Activision doesn't own them anymore?

The whole "who owns what" issue in video game licensing really needs a wiki of its own.

Yes, I understand that we won't see Activision or Imagic titles on this Intellivision flashback, but what did you mean about Imagic being decoupled from Activision? Since we haven't seen any Imagic collections since "Intellivision Rocks" except for little cameos on the PSP Activision collection, I've wondered why these titles have disappeared from release. Are you saying Activision doesn't own them anymore?

The whole "who owns what" issue in video game licensing really needs a wiki of its own.

I agree that it would be wonderful to have a master resource for who owns what. That would be a truly massive undertaking, obviously, but certainly something that I think would not only be helpful for corporate entities, but also homebrewers.

All I can say for now is that based on what's included in the ColecoVision Flashback, I can only assume that Activision no longer controls the same classic third party IP properties that they did just a few years back. It could be a peculiarity of the ColecoVision licensing structure, though, meaning that Activision didn't gain the rights to the ColecoVision stuff for whatever reason. It might be as simple as that since the Intellivision Flashback could in theory have some of the same third party stuff that the ColecoVision Flashback does, but it doesn't. I'm really not in a position to investigate further, though.

Thanks for the quick answer, Bill. I have strong feelings about unpopular old things, like Imagic on Intellivision and the whole Odyssey 2 library. The popular stuff keeps coming back in every form imaginable, but the B list is often only playable in the original form or emulation. I buy all the retro compilations I can in order to compensate for this, to reward those who bring back the old games for us to enjoy on new hardware.

This comic also applies to ROMs.

steal_this_comic.png

• Like 2