IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

What would they put on a 7800 one? The list of unlicensed 1st party titles isn't a long one. And for really strong entries, you're just left basically with Centipede, Food Fight, and Asteroids. Everything else is going to require licenses from additional companies.

And even if you get Namco and a few of the smaller and less significant coinop sources onboard (and hopefully get some of the enhanced releases and homebrews like Space Duel from PacManPlus), it's still just all arcade ports on a forgotten Atari console. Unless their hardware can't handle arcade emulation, why not just deal with the real material instead? The only chance it has is if they could easily emulate the 7800 and were seeking out some of these licenses anyways such as to get the more popular 2600 versions out on a Flashback.

Only Atari's 8 bit library has enough strength in the unlicensed department where I think there's a glimmer of hope based on the merits of that lineup alone to see it added to future Atari Flashbacks. They have enough content there and enough people that were exposed to these games back then where it might be justifiable to emulate.

Edited by Atariboy

Techno Source also got around this particular license by using "Crown of Kings" for their Intellivision 10 2nd Edition, so there is definitely hope that it will show up as an Intellivision Flashback built-in game!

:cool:

I know that Tron Deadly Discs was renamed for one of the plug-n-play clones too ... but it was an NES-on-a-chip and not very good. I would love to see all those games make a triumphant return. Both D&D games were beautiful crude examples of the era.

I'd like this a million times better with the Imagic games (Demon Attack, Beauty and the Beast, Microsurgeon) and licensed games (Burgertime, Bump n Jump) on board, though.

• Like 1

I know that Tron Deadly Discs was renamed for one of the plug-n-play clones too ... but it was an NES-on-a-chip and not very good. I would love to see all those games make a triumphant return. Both D&D games were beautiful crude examples of the era.

I'd like this a million times better with the Imagic games (Demon Attack, Beauty and the Beast, Microsurgeon) and licensed games (Burgertime, Bump n Jump) on board, though.

Sadly, I think any of the Disney stuff will be excluded on all platforms, even with stripped licenses. We'll see, though. To me, the biggest loss on all of these is Activision stuff, simply because we not only lose their stuff, but also all the Imagic stuff. In fact, it slips my mind at the moment, but I think Activision has another publisher's catalog in their IP stable as well. I can't possibly imagine why Activision would care, especially since I'm not aware of their own such product, even a digital only one, but there you go.

Aww poop. Imagic on Intellivision was brilliant. Their stuff appears on the second CD-ROM collections. Activision was just OK, but The Dreadnaught Factor was brilliant on Intellivision.

Tell me you got Tower of Doom?

It doesn't affect these projects, but I suppose Disney also owns all the early LucasFilm Games such as Ballblazer and Rescue on Fractalus? Perhaps we should we do a Kickstarter to liberate these old properties from their neglectful owners? They're not doing anything interesting with the properties.

859314_10152378430789004_263330731905635

Keith Robinson posted this on Facebook.

"Ray and Traci Roux test a prototype of the Intellivision Flashback. Traci was one of the official game testers at Mattel Electronics in the early 1980s. She and husband Ray dropped into the Intellivision Productions, Inc. office to test the upcoming Flashback release: a miniature Intellivision console with 60 built-in classic games. Scheduled for October 1, 2014."

• Like 11

Great picture! According to the BSR site, after the problems that Matel had on some bugs in games in B-17 Bomber and Hearts, Traci was authorized for the final authority on all future releases. NOTHING got released unless she signed off on it...and by all reports, she was brutal. But the work paid off -- no bugs reported in games she signed off on. Hopefully she has the same life or death power here. ;)

Mahhvelous!

Nice pic. I like the straight cords. I wonder how hard it is to install 9-pin D-subs on the original console ...

I thought someone had posted here (grips?) about such a mod, challenge being choosing a location for the ports such that other mods like A/V could still happen.