IGNORED

Breaking news: Intellivision flashback coming to retail

Rev

We're also talking about a company (Intelivision Lives) that can't afford to pay a ton of money either. Fair price to them may not be fair priced to us.

As far as I know, Intellivision Productions is just the licensor that has granted a license for the name and the software lineup. AtGames is the company producing this and releasing it. Same sort of relationship that they have with Atari, Sega, etc.

And I definitely understand that even a reasonable licensing fee still might be too much for AtGames. I'm just pointing out that the licensing cost probably isn't overvalued since G-Mode is in the business of doing this. So they likely have a good idea of what something like the license for Lock 'N Chase is worth.

Edited by Atariboy

As far as I know, Intellivision Productions is just the licensor that has granted a license for the name and the software lineup. AtGames is the company producing this and releasing it. Same sort of relationship that they have with Atari, Sega, etc.

And I definitely understand that even a reasonable licensing fee still might be too much for AtGames. I'm just pointing out that the licensing cost probably isn't overvalued since G-Mode is in the business of doing this. So they likely have a good idea of what something like the license for Lock 'N Chase is worth.

I know how much it's worth.....$500. :lol:

Seriously, how much have you seen them do anything with Data East properties the last 5 years, save for a couple of horrible remakes?

• Like 1

One of us should try to contact them and see what we can learn! We are making a lot of assumptions and speculations, which are fun but don't answer the real world questions.

There was a Colecovision Kickstarter last year that attempted to collect a lot of money, and at the time there was mention made of a third party who dealt in "monetizing old properties." Most mentions of that group seems to have been scrubbed from the internet (obviously colecovision.com isn't up either).

I would think they'd be in the business of squeezing as much as possible while still making a deal.

Side topic -- I could have SWORN when the talk about these new Flashbacks from AtGames first came up, there was mention of a 4th -- besides the Atari Flashback 5, the Intelivsion Flashback, and Colecovision Flashback, also a new Genesis Flashback, to update the one from 2012. Now I can't find anything on it. I must have gotten confused or read someone wrong.

Toys R Us did have all 4 available for preorder, I ordered all 4 the day they became available.

Here's the link:

http://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/product.html?type=TRU_product_us&url=%2Fproduct%2Findex.jsp%3FproductId%3D35291136%26cp%3D%26parentPage%3Dsearch&domain=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toysrus.com

Edited by Hyperboy

There it is! I knew I wasn't dreaming.

It didn't come up when I searched for it earlier, but that's cause it's not called a Flashback. Now I know what I did wrong.

Thanks Hyperboy.

• Like 1

I know how much it's worth.....$500. :lol:

Seriously, how much have you seen them do anything with Data East properties the last 5 years, save for a couple of horrible remakes?

I haven't paid that much attention, but G-Mode content has appeared on several of Nintendo's Virtual Consoles, PSN in several different forms, Data East Arcade Classics on the Wii was 100% G-Mode owned content, at least one remake, etc.

I don't know if AtGames will have any of it, but that Colecovision Kickstarter that failed also included some G-Mode owned content in the list of licenses they had arranged.

Edited by Atariboy

One thing I thought I should note for those who care about such things so you're not surprised and/or dissapointed, is that per usual practice there will be at least one small variation out there of the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks, in this case for Dollar General, which will get a version with one additional game. I can say on the Intellivision side the extra game is not a big deal in the slightest, but on the ColecoVision side, the extra game might be a big deal to some.

Variations! Oh noez!

BTW. Toys r us had already put out 2 different boxes on their site. Both pics are on my flashback page.

Any other variations?

Also, will these have serial numbers? I've never bought a flashback unit before.

All I can do is repeat what I said earlier about the packaging. There is no final packaging just yet, so anything Toys "R" Us has posted to date has been works in progress, so those aren't actual variations. The game mixes were fluctuating slightly right up until a few days ago, at least on the ColecoVision side. Right now, I think all of that is finalized. As far as I know there will only be the one variation, with the one extra game, for the one retailer. Otherwise, it should all be the same until what may be the inevitable variation like we've seen with the Atari Flashback 3/4 where there are interim releases with a different mix of games (like the Atari Flashback 64, which was the 4 with a different game mix).

I don't recall if the Flashbacks have serial numbers. I imagine that they would, but I don't have access to any at work at the moment.

Otherwise, it should all be the same until what may be the inevitable variation like we've seen with the Atari Flashback 3/4 where there are interim releases with a different mix of games (like the Atari Flashback 64, which was the 4 with a different game mix).

The original Atari Video Computer System, with its programmable cartridges, was designed in response to exactly this kind of embedded software. Oh, the irony, it hurts.

• Like 1

It's one additional game to the standard count, but believe me when I say that the extra game is not worth it on the Intellivision side, i.e., not something to stress over.

So, no way in the world DG will get the Dollar General Burgertime exclusive!!!!!!

But instead its probably Vectron. Haha.

If the plug n' play includes Night Stalker, Space Hawk, and Thunder Castle, its a must have. Night Stalker is much better on the original controllers.

Space Hawk is part of your must have list? Controllers where you can't move and shoot at the same time is better than what exactly?

post-5812-0-07397000-1403299550_thumb.jpg

Space hawk will definitely be on the flashback hardware, it is one of the first party titles and is on every other collection. It is a good fit for original controllers, because it uses all 16 directions, and is kind of quirky that way. I believe it's not that it is a great game, but that it represents the original type of intellivision software very well.

Space hawk will definitely be on the flashback hardware, it is one of the first party titles and is on every other collection. It is a good fit for original controllers, because it uses all 16 directions, and is kind of quirky that way. I believe it's not that it is a great game, but that it represents the original type of intellivision software very well.

post-5812-0-42908800-1403301057.png

• Like 1

Space Hawk is part of your must have list? Controllers where you can't move and shoot at the same time is better than what exactly?

attachicon.gifnotsureifserious.jpg

Its a must have for ME because I played it for hours a kid. I've never liked any of the collection on the ps1 because of the controller. Night Stalker sounded horrible back on the ps1. I think most of them didnt sound good or like the actual hardware.

Edited by fast eddie

Its a must have for ME because I played it for hours a kid. I've never liked any of the collection on the ps1 because of the controller. Night Stalker sounded horrible back on the ps1. I think most of them didnt sound good or like the actual hardware.

The PS1 collection was horrible! That was the first anthology I had, and my re-introduction to the Intellivision 10 years ago. I hated that every time you wanted to use the keypad, you had to essentially pause the game and bring up the controller interface so that you could press a key. It was really bad.

You should try getting the Intellivision Lives! and Intellivision Rocks! collections for PC. Those are good and you can play them on your computer.

-dZ.

The PS1 collection was horrible! That was the first anthology I had, and my re-introduction to the Intellivision 10 years ago. I hated that every time you wanted to use the keypad, you had to essentially pause the game and bring up the controller interface so that you could press a key. It was really bad.

You should try getting the Intellivision Lives! and Intellivision Rocks! collections for PC. Those are good and you can play them on your computer.

-dZ.

The DS version is pretty good as well.

The DS version is pretty good as well.

I was disappointed with that one, even though I went whole hog and got the signed special edition one, etc. I think an analog stick would provide a closer experience to the disc than an 8 direction d-pad, and of course the touchscreen is not quite as responsive or has the same feel as the bubble pad or real buttons. It will be a similar not-quite-there experience on the digital versions for touchscreen devices. It's better than nothing, but the Intellivision is one of the few consoles where you really need the bizarre/unique original controller to have a decent experience on many of the games.

• Like 1