IGNORED

ColecoVision App

VGC1612

I'm OK with a project like this, of course, cool idea. In a personal note, I do prefer the real deal when possible. :grin:

I'm surprised no one mentioned that Ms Space Fury IS a homebrew game ... that I've coded... for the 10th anniversary of DigitalPress. :?

It's quite flattering to see one of my games in a big project like this to represent our 80s childhood in a sense.

Oh well, I do hope at least DigitalPress is aware of this since Ms Space Fury is their game.

They claim they got the rights? I would like to see the proof of that to be honnest.

And if I think about it... Jumpman wasn't released for the ColecoVision, it is a homebrew project never was a commercial or even prototype for the ColecoVision. Anyway...

Edited by newcoleco

I'm OK with a project like this, of course, cool idea. In a personal note, I do prefer the real deal when possible. :grin:

I'm surprised no one mentioned that Ms Space Fury IS a homebrew game ... that I've coded... for the 10th anniversary of DigitalPress. :?

It's quite flattering to see one of my games in a big project like this to represent our 80s childhood in a sense.

Oh well, I do hope at least DigitalPress is aware of this since Ms Space Fury is their game.

And if I think about it... Jumpman wasn't released for the ColecoVision, it is a homebrew project never was a commercial or even prototype for the ColecoVision. Anyway...

At least SOMEONE here cares.

Again, you're wrong!

I DO CARE about EVERYTHING COLECOVISION!

I just hate to pay for air ....

What will happen with Ipad/android tablets in 10 years?

See my point?

Release a 3DS physical copy and I INVEST RIGHT NOW!

:)

What part of they will release this on other platforms if high interest via exceeding goal don't you understand?

I'm sure they will put up a stretch goal for a physical release

If you want it.. go to them and demand it

Don't alienate people from making this project get funded by shoehorning your complaints on others

You didn't compaint when they did this for Vectrex, What makes Colecovision so special that deserves you to scold them?

And don't you dare tell me that "nobody cares about my opinions" and other hateful rubbish

Again, If you have a beef with them

Do a one-to-one chat with them and see if you try to do your Michael Moore-ish attitude on them

Edited by CyberKFox

What part of they will release this on other platforms if high interest via exceeding goal don't you understand?

I'm sure they will put up a stretch goal for a physical release

If you want it.. go to them and demand it

Don't alienate people from making this project get funded by shoehorning your complaints on others

You didn't compaint when they did this for Vectrex, What makes Colecovision so special that deserves you to scold them?

And don't you dare tell me that "nobody cares about my opinions" and other hateful rubbish

Again, If you have a beef with them

Do a one-to-one chat with them and see if you try to do your Michael Moore-ish attitude on them

You're taking all this the wrong way

I'm not telling people to not invest, people are free to do what they want

I did not complained about ANY ipad/androids apps, simply cause I don't use them

Same things goes for emulation and I did distribute our rom files because we still know that some people prefer emulation

What I mean to say is, I'm kind of bored to pay for "air games"

I've been pissed by Capcom when they choose to not release Megaman 9 and 10 as phisical copies

Like I said, I would be MORE THAN HAPPY, to invest into a 3DS physical copy

That said, I contacted the team to see if I can help

Cheers :)

BTW: you sounds pretty rude toward me simply because I share my opinions, wich i think can help them making it just better

Edited by retroillucid

Hey Guys

Thought I would jump in here and say hello (we're the guys doing the ColecoVision Kickstarter).

We've had a lot of negative comments in the last few days!

Ultimately all we're trying to do is give people the opportunity to play - fully legally - around 20 original ColecoVision games for $10. We wanted to wrap those games up in an awesome interface - show the world what the ColecoVision was all about, get some great box art, have a way of competing against everyone in the world on scores, getting achievements and having a great time.

We thought that was a pretty great deal!

Happy to answer any questions if you've got any.

Thanks,

Anton.

• Like 1

Hey Guys

Thought I would jump in here and say hello (we're the guys doing the ColecoVision Kickstarter).

We've had a lot of negative comments in the last few days!

Ultimately all we're trying to do is give people the opportunity to play - fully legally - around 20 original ColecoVision games for $10. We wanted to wrap those games up in an awesome interface - show the world what the ColecoVision was all about, get some great box art, have a way of competing against everyone in the world on scores, getting achievements and having a great time.

We thought that was a pretty great deal!

Happy to answer any questions if you've got any.

Thanks,

Anton.

It's not a bad idea at all!

But i think you should already promise a physical copy of it for 3DS and PSPVita as well

I will be in for sure if there is a physical copy for sure! :)

Humm..... Should do that with my PSP , and since I've a PSP store display, maybe I could sell it as a ColecoVision Store Display :D :P

This is the PSP softmod (or to be correct... HEN) that I use on my PSP-1000. I never looked into whether there were others mainly because this HEN worked great with every emulator that I threw at it as well as playing PSP game ISO files.

http://wololo.net/hen/

Something tells me it won't be long before before we see some cool pics of that PSP Store Display modded up ColecoVision style!!! :grin:

• Like 1

It's not a bad idea at all!

But i think you should already promise a physical copy of it for 3DS and PSPVita as well

I will be in for sure if there is a physical copy for sure! :)

The problem with physical copies is that it makes it much more expensive to make and distribute. If we got the backing we would definitely consider as a stretch goal a digital release on something like Vita, but I can't see a physical copy happening at the moment - unless there is massive demand...

The problem with physical copies is that it makes it much more expensive to make and distribute. If we got the backing we would definitely consider as a stretch goal a digital release on something like Vita, but I can't see a physical copy happening at the moment - unless there is massive demand...

That's why you should at least try to announce right now a stretch goal for a physical release

Maybe more people would want this instead....... Including myself. :)

Announce a strech goal for physical release and I bet you will get alot more people interested ;)

And for all of those who think I hate this project, let me say this,

I contacted them and proposed my help

I will get them some homebrews games and some ideas, etc...

;) :)

Well as someone who has decided to support the project I thank you :)

Have been reading the posts with interest and thought I would chime in as to my main reason for supporting the project. I like to use emulators on occasion when it would otherwise be inconvenient to use the real thing - such as travelling to work on the train - where I'm sure I would get very strange looks pulling my ColecoVision out of my bag and searching for a power socket. Basically, when I want a quick fix of ColecoVision joy I tend to fire up blueMSX on my PC. There are also those times when the family are using the TV and I don't want to kick them out of the room. Being able to pick up my iPad and have instant access to some CV games is a nice option to have and one I embrace. Yes, the iPad and the app will not be around forever - but neither will I and I'm quite happy to sink $10 or more into the project to allow me to have one more option for those times when a quick fix is all I need.

Now for those longer play sessions and access to my full cart library the real console can never be replaced.

I wish the RantMedia team all the best in completing this ColecoVision IOS App... more exposure for this great system can only be a good thing afterall.

The one thing that I would like to be included is the ability for the end-user to add in his or her own rom images seeing that there will probably be a large number of games where the license can't or won't be acquired. It would be a shame not to be able to experience the complete CV library through this App as well as new Homebrew releases that may be made years from now and you guys aren't around to offer further updates to your App.

Don't lock it up, leave it open for the end-user to add games and hopefully more and more games will get the full RantMedia treatment down the road.

• Like 2

Well as someone who has decided to support the project I thank you :)

Have been reading the posts with interest and thought I would chime in as to my main reason for supporting the project. I like to use emulators on occasion when it would otherwise be inconvenient to use the real thing - such as travelling to work on the train - where I'm sure I would get very strange looks pulling my ColecoVision out of my bag and searching for a power socket. Basically, when I want a quick fix of ColecoVision joy I tend to fire up blueMSX on my PC. There are also those times when the family are using the TV and I don't want to kick them out of the room. Being able to pick up my iPad and have instant access to some CV games is a nice option to have and one I embrace. Yes, the iPad and the app will not be around forever - but neither will I and I'm quite happy to sink $10 or more into the project to allow me to have one more option for those times when I quick fix is all I need.

Now for those longer play sessions and access to my full cart library the real console can never be replaced.

You're welcome :)

I'm actually in talks with the team amd give them my ideas, approach of the whole thing etc..

I will also make sure to have homebrew games for them at the release, and later also

I'm going to trow some money on their Kickstarter campaign, nothing serious but something that can help them anyway

Guess only fools doesn't change their mind ;)

I do still hope they will announce a physical release though

• Like 2

I wish the RantMedia team all the best in completing this ColecoVision IOS App... more exposure for this great system can only be a good thing afterall.

The one thing that I would like to be included is the ability for the end-user to add in his or her own rom images seeing that there will probably be a large number of games where the license can't or won't be acquired. It would be a shame not to be able to experience the complete CV library through this App as well as new Homebrew releases that may be made years from now and you guys aren't around to offer further updates to your App.

Don't lock it up, leave it open for the end-user to add games and hopefully more and more games will get the full RantMedia treatment down the road.

I look forward to RantMedia's response to this. I suspect it will be out of their hands and that Apple will insist on the app being locked down.

The initial game list doesn't seem that interesting. Plus, Sega licensed Space Fury and Zaxxon for this? I would find this surprising even though Sega never does seem to care about their 80's arcade games. Remember when arcade comps were all the rage? Sega never did one, short a few bonus games in Genesis/Megadrive collections. I don't know who owns the Exidy properties now but that would be for Pepper II. Epyx would be for Jumpman Jr. and I believe a British company bought their assets. Montezuma's Revenge was Parker Bros. who was bought by Hasbro but I don;t know that extended to videogame assets. Frenzy was Stern and I've no idea who owns those rights. Plus, as stated, Jumpman and Ms. Space Fury are homebrews. Obviously, Nintendo games have little chance of showing up which is a shame when Donkey Kong is probably the most well know game for the system.

Maybe licensing for the Vectrex was easier since everything was done by the Vectrex team and only had 2 licenses (Berzerk & Pole Position) which I don't even know are available on Vectrex Regeneration.

They claim they got the rights? I would like to see the proof of that to be honnest.

DP was not asked, but Joe thinks this may have been a misprint. This is an admirable goal, but even if $250K is truly needed, I can't imagine they will get half that amount, so this KS is doomed.

Guys,

When we spent the time:

- securing the licenses (Yes, we do have them. Yes, there is a cost)

- creating the concepts, refining the pitch, filming the video, creating the website and prepping the campaign (this took over 2 months)

We thought we were doing something that yes - may be considered strange to some in the wider gaming community - but at least would be supported by the community we are a part of - the retro gaming community.

It's a huge disappointment that this doesn't seem to have happened so far (we haven't given up yet!!). It's a shame that people don't seem to understand that we're not just planning on delivering a simple emulator here. We want to showcase the ColecoVision. We have an opportunity to show people that these games are awesome. And we want to do that in a fully legal way.

So far the objections seem to follow a couple of lines:

- dislike of Apple / the App Store: when we've been clear that we want to bring to as many platforms as possible! The App Store is a starting point to get the ball rolling.

- annoyance at asking for $250k: without realising that we will be left with around $140k after costs, and that delivery will mean a total-studio-effort lasting 5 months. This is not going to be a profitable enterprise for us - we wanted to do it because we've got a passion for it! We do other games for other people, and this was something that was close to our heart. Remember, we are not asking you for $250k - what we're actually asking you for is $10 in return for a fantastic app with about 20 fully legal, licensed games. 50 cents per game. Why does this seem expensive??

Bear in mind that the first release of Angry Birds - a very simple, physics-based game by just 3 guys cost in the region of $150k over 4 months. Games development is expensive guys - Reckless Racing reputedly cost $2m to make for iOS.

When it comes down to it, the success or failure of this Kickstarter is not in our hands - it's in yours! I hope you can help us make it happen.

Well I do appreciate you sharing the costs with us. Most gamers scoff at crowd funding, because they insist there is a game fountain where you dip your hand and pull out thousands of dollars. I think you're requests are quite reasonable, just skeptical on whether the $ goal is actually achievable. Also keep in mind 2013 has seen untold classic game crowd funding campaigns, many with massive $$$ goals that have no chance at succeeding and a lot of people may be burned out.

Well I do appreciate you sharing the costs with us. Most gamers scoff at crowd funding, because they insist there is a game fountain where you dip your hand and pull out thousands of dollars. I think you're requests are quite reasonable, just skeptical on whether the $ goal is actually achievable. Also keep in mind 2013 has seen untold classic game crowd funding campaigns, many with massive $$$ goals that have no chance at succeeding and a lot of people may be burned out.

You're probably right on the funding fatigue point. Time will tell I guess. Thanks for the comments.

I should also say that I'm aware a lot of the guys on this forum have backed us and helped us get the word out - really grateful for that.

rantmedia,

Here's my suggestions...

1. Pursue talks with Collectorvision, Team Pixelboy, Opcode Games, newcoleco, AtariAge, and any other independent homebrew programmers/producers, so see if they have games suitable for your product. Unfortunately, there may be some licensing issues with some of the games, but definitely not all of them. It might be nice to bump up the game count, especially with some exclusives. You can add my Squares! game in this product, if you like (it ain't much, but it's something ;) ).

2. Talk to Albert (AtariAge owner) to see if he can put something up on the front (news) page.

3. Search out every "retro" or video game website you can find, and send them the link to the Kickstarter page, to see if they can advertise or promote this for you.

4. Many people don't know what a ColecoVision is, and their memory of even the Atari 2600 is faded at best. However, I think the ColecoVision/Atari5200/Atari800XLetc/Commodore64 era is what people actually do or want to remember. Better graphics than the 2600, but simpler than most of the consoles that followed. Okay, maybe this isn't a suggestion, but there's opportunity to be taken advantage of here.

5. You say "the success or failure of this Kickstarter is not in our hands - it's in yours". I know what you're trying to say, but thinking like that is not the way to proceed, I think. You can't just start a Kickstarter or other project and walk away. You need to be active in the advertising and hype of the product.

I'm sure you're already pursuing all or at least some of these suggestions (you're here, after all), but I thought I'd put this out there, just in case. Best of luck (or skill) in your endeavor to highlight the awesome ColecoVision.

• Like 3