IGNORED

ColecoVision App

VGC1612

1. Pursue talks with Collectorvision, Team Pixelboy, Opcode Games, newcoleco, AtariAge, and any other independent homebrew programmers/producers, so see if they have games suitable for your product. Unfortunately, there may be some licensing issues with some of the games, but definitely not all of them. It might be nice to bump up the game count, especially with some exclusives. You can add my Squares! game in this product, if you like (it ain't much, but it's something ;) ).

This is a great suggestion and having a number of homebrew games (that don't come with hefty licensing fees) would be a great way to differentiate the campaign and the product, i.e. one that is supported by the homebrew community. BTW - I love Squares! - it's one of those classically simple games on the surface but one that keeps you coming back for just one more go.

• Like 1

This is a great suggestion and having a number of homebrew games (that don't come with hefty licensing fees) would be a great way to differentiate the campaign and the product, i.e. one that is supported by the homebrew community. BTW - I love Squares! - it's one of those classically simple games on the surface but one that keeps you coming back for just one more go.

I would love to hear which titles 5-11under, Ikrananka and many others do have in mind for homebrew titles in this project.

I do think that Jeepers Creepers is probably my best title for this project, with levels, lives, scores; the controls are simply fire left and right, move left and right, and press a number at the menu.

I would love to hear which titles 5-11under, Ikrananka and many others do have in mind for homebrew titles in this project.

I do think that Jeepers Creepers is probably my best title for this project, with levels, lives, scores; the controls are simply fire left and right, move left and right, and press a number at the menu.

Any that are available (license/permission wise), or at least the decent ones. I don't have any specific ones in mind... although... any of your games from the last ~12 years.

I agree with you that Jeepers Creepers would be an excellent choice for inclusion with this ColecoVision App and it should be part of the original release... not a game that is added later on down the road. You have made so many great CV games over the years, but this one is my personal favorite of yours.

There is a huge selection to draw from, but with a large number being ports from other systems or arcade games, the whole license dilemna comes into play for RantMedia. However, a title like Side Trak would be a no brainer and probably would be an easier possibility for inclusion whereas another that should really be included, Mario Bros., has no possibility for inclusion... probably.

If RantMedia is paying attention, another Homebrew title which no one may mention that you should try to include is Frog Feast. I could go on and on with other suggestions!

Guys,

When we spent the time:

- securing the licenses (Yes, we do have them. Yes, there is a cost)

- creating the concepts, refining the pitch, filming the video, creating the website and prepping the campaign (this took over 2 months)

We thought we were doing something that yes - may be considered strange to some in the wider gaming community - but at least would be supported by the community we are a part of - the retro gaming community.

It's a huge disappointment that this doesn't seem to have happened so far (we haven't given up yet!!). It's a shame that people don't seem to understand that we're not just planning on delivering a simple emulator here. We want to showcase the ColecoVision. We have an opportunity to show people that these games are awesome. And we want to do that in a fully legal way.

So far the objections seem to follow a couple of lines:

- dislike of Apple / the App Store: when we've been clear that we want to bring to as many platforms as possible! The App Store is a starting point to get the ball rolling.

- annoyance at asking for $250k: without realising that we will be left with around $140k after costs, and that delivery will mean a total-studio-effort lasting 5 months. This is not going to be a profitable enterprise for us - we wanted to do it because we've got a passion for it! We do other games for other people, and this was something that was close to our heart. Remember, we are not asking you for $250k - what we're actually asking you for is $10 in return for a fantastic app with about 20 fully legal, licensed games. 50 cents per game. Why does this seem expensive??

Bear in mind that the first release of Angry Birds - a very simple, physics-based game by just 3 guys cost in the region of $150k over 4 months. Games development is expensive guys - Reckless Racing reputedly cost $2m to make for iOS.

When it comes down to it, the success or failure of this Kickstarter is not in our hands - it's in yours! I hope you can help us make it happen.

I haft to say I would buy your app, but I do have some fears, as I don't own and don't ever plan to own anything apple so if you don't reach you stretch goal, I won't be able to ever use this app.(I can't pay for something I can't use of course) If there was even just a PC or Android ver. I would be happy to jump on board especially if you add homebrew games to your list, but right now all I can do is hope and wish you guys good luck (I'm in for a $1) . Also I was wanting to ask did you ever release a PC or Android ver. of your Vectrex app? I would love to get that also as long as its on something I can play.

I haft to say I would buy your app, but I do have some fears, as I don't own and don't ever plan to own anything apple so if you don't reach you stretch goal, I won't be able to ever use this app.(I can't pay for something I can't use of course) If there was even just a PC or Android ver. I would be happy to jump on board especially if you add homebrew games to your list, but right now all I can do is hope and wish you guys good luck (I'm in for a $1) . Also I was wanting to ask did you ever release a PC or Android ver. of your Vectrex app? I would love to get that also as long as its on something I can play.

They never did do the Vectrex Android app and I asked for a year until I finally gave up on it. I don't intend to ever own anything Apple either so donating for something that would probably never reach the stretch goal I need it for would probably be a foolish idea.

Edited by H.E.R.O.
  • Like 1

They never did do the Vectrex Android app and I asked for a year until I finally gave up on it. I don't intend to ever own anything Apple either so donating for something that would probably never reach the stretch goal I need it for would probably be a foolish idea.

Ya just looking at there history with the Vectrex app it makes me even question if (big IF) they did hit there stretch goal, would they stay true to the promise of bringing it to Android when they never brought a competed Vectrex app to Android.

Thanks for all the comments.

We definitely want as many homebrew titles on there that we can - obviously just the ones that don't have any rights issues at this stage.

The idea is to provide a new platform for homebrewers to get their games out there to a wide audience (and get paid obviously!). If you're reading this, and you're interested in getting your homebrew game onto the app, then please contact me via the messenger or directly at hello@rantmediagames.com.

The reason why there is yet to be an Android version of Vectrex is not down to lack of desire or capability - it's about financing it! We are still looking for ways of getting the money together to do it. Please remember we are not EA - we're a super-small games studio, and that means it sometimes takes time.

Anton

My 2 cents:

1. Ditch the whole 3D artist rendering, thus ditching the costs for it. It's cosmetic, and doesn't really add anything to it

2. Don't have Android be a stretch goal. I don't have any ioS devices, and contributing money for a platform I don't have, just hoping others will kick in the stretch goal = no money up front for Android users. You are going to have to make it for both platforms at once.

2. All money removed for 3D artistry can be spent towards getting more licensed games for it. That's where it counts.

The main roadblock I see licensing wise is that the most iconic game on the system will not be on there. There is no way Nintendo would license Donkey Kong for it and people who have not kept up with the retrogaming scene when looking at the app and consider buying will more often than not go "Where's Donkey Kong?" and pass on it.

I'm sure the licensing fees were probably cheap on the Super Action Sports titles but it probably would have been better to leave them off the initial list. I think, except in rare cases like NHL '94 or 2k Sports NFL 2k5, people don't want to play old sports games (I'm talking just straight delivered no frills sports. I still enjoy playing 2020 Super Baseball from SNK or NFL Blitz).

Didn't the head of Exidy release some ROMs for free for use in MAME? Maybe Rantmedia can see about how they can work the Exidy Coleco ports into the package. They already have Pepper II but there's Venture, Mouse Trap, & Victory as well.

We definitely want as many homebrew titles on there that we can - obviously just the ones that don't have any rights issues at this stage.

The idea is to provide a new platform for homebrewers to get their games out there to a wide audience (and get paid obviously!). If you're reading this, and you're interested in getting your homebrew game onto the app, then please contact me via the messenger or directly at hello@rantmediagames.com.

The reason why there is yet to be an Android version of Vectrex is not down to lack of desire or capability - it's about financing it! We are still looking for ways of getting the money together to do it. Please remember we are not EA - we're a super-small games studio, and that means it sometimes takes time.

Anton

I don't have a smart phone, so not having a PC/Steam release is killer for me.

I'm sure the licensing fees were probably cheap on the Super Action Sports titles but it probably would have been better to leave them off the initial list. I think, except in rare cases like NHL '94 or 2k Sports NFL 2k5, people don't want to play old sports games (I'm talking just straight delivered no frills sports. I still enjoy playing 2020 Super Baseball from SNK or NFL Blitz).

Didn't the head of Exidy release some ROMs for free for use in MAME? Maybe Rantmedia can see about how they can work the Exidy Coleco ports into the package. They already have Pepper II but there's Venture, Mouse Trap, & Victory as well.

Since the Coleco sports titles are already part of the core group of titles that are to be included, it will be VERY interesting to see how the RantMedia programmers handle the controls for each of the games. Rocky (er Super Action Boxing) will be pretty easy, but the others (Baseball, Football and Soccer) use all or most of the Super Action Controller buttons and speed roller... so there will be a lot going on when using the touch screen and an iCade doesn't supply all the necessary controls.

Exidy did release roms of their Arcade games for MAME and possibly to the Public Domain as well, just not sure of all the titles involved. Hopefully Spectar and Side Trak were included in this release seeing as these CV Homebrew titles are both very well done and the programmers deserve to reap some more rewards for their hard work finally bringing these titles to the CV.

Since the Coleco sports titles are already part of the core group of titles that are to be included, it will be VERY interesting to see how the RantMedia programmers handle the controls for each of the games. Rocky (er Super Action Boxing) will be pretty easy, but the others (Baseball, Football and Soccer) use all or most of the Super Action Controller buttons and speed roller... so there will be a lot going on when using the touch screen and an iCade doesn't supply all the necessary controls.

Exidy did release roms of their Arcade games for MAME and possibly to the Public Domain as well, just not sure of all the titles involved. Hopefully Spectar and Side Trak were included in this release seeing as these CV Homebrew titles are both very well done and the programmers deserve to reap some more rewards for their hard work finally bringing these titles to the CV.

From the Exidy Wikipedia entry -

In 2007, the MAME website announced[6] that H.R. Kaufmann had released the first of what would become a sizable group of Exidy games downloadable for free, non-commercial use, adding Circus to the already-released Teeter Torture. By 2011, with the help of Reinhard Stompe, the list of ROM images included Circus, Robot Bowl, Car Polo, Side Trak, Ripcord, Fire One, Crash, Star Fire and its unreleased upgrade Star Fire II, Targ, Spectar, Hard Hat, Victory, Teeter Torture, Fax, and Top Gunner. The ROM images were cleared only for non-commercial use and may be downloaded from the MAME website after the user acknowledges the terms of usage.

Anton

A few questions to you. What is the time left for CV homebrewers to select, modify or even program for scratch games to be in this app? What is the "ideal" deadline? Can a collaboration be possible to make things easier to integrate our CV homebrew games into this app? And can this app be a portal to promote our upcoming CV games (like a blog? or downloadable demos?) so users can check this app for news too?

I do know that it needs time to make something good enough to be generaly appreciated specialy when it's not based on an actual commercial success. As an homebrewer mostly specialized in making original titles, I'm basicaly alone to make these new CV games. Just thinking of the weeks spent on writing ideas, designing concepts and screen levels, calculating for memory management, drawing graphics and animations, composing sounds and musics, coding, optimizing by using various methods like data compression and rewriting some crucial parts in ASM language, tweaking speed, fluidity and precision, testing, debuging, retesting, fixing last details and publishing or not depending if I've the ressources. I do all this by passion, risking each time my reputation without any clue if it's gonna be well or badly received; this makes me put a lot of pressure on myself each time, trying to renew myself, to explore new ways and game ideas, to bring originality and my imagination into game cartridges for this great console from my childhood. So yes, being a small studio isn't ideal but it can work with time and effort.