IGNORED

ColecoVision App

VGC1612

Honest question: What specifically is the appeal of a CV flashback system?

Simple. An inexpensive way for nostalgic buyers to experience the ColecoVision again in a low risk, hassle free manner. Not everyone is like us, willing to invest in the real hardware and everything that involves.

5-11under, on 10 Oct 2013 - 9:34 PM, said:5-11under, on 10 Oct 2013 - 9:34 PM, said:

Honest question: What specifically is the appeal of a CV flashback system?

LOL :lol: another colecovision system I guess, I just love coleco stuff :lol: Also it would be cool to have something my kids could play without me in the room. I'm worried they will break my system if I'm not there and with my Ultimate SD and the system itself its way to much money to trust them. If I can have a CV flashback system that cost $20 or $30 each of my kids could have one in there room and if they break it no big deal.

Edited by RelliK111

A Plug N Play CV system for $20 - $30 is impossible, simply because of the liscencing

hence why this IOS kickstarter campaign hope to reach $200,000

The best bet would be a CV system (small unit) with a cartridge slot and SD card slot as well

The SD would act like the Atarimax SD cartridge

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 1

Last year I got each of my kids a handheld that takes a SD card and has every sega genesis game on it plus you can hook it up to a tv or play it on the go! I paid $40 for it (I can show a picture of the system if someone wants) They really loved it, this year I plan to get the same thing but it has every Nintendo game on it (cost about $20). I would love to have a handheld with a SD card that had every colecovision game on it where you can play it on the go or hook it up to a TV! Anyone want to help me start a kickstarter! :-D :thumbsup:

Edited by RelliK111

Last year I got each of my kids a handheld that takes a SD card and has every sega genesis game on it plus you can hook it up to a tv or play it on the go! I paid $40 for it (I can show a picture of the system if someone wants) They really loved it, this year I plan to get the same thing but it has every Nintendo game on it (cost about $20). I would love to have a handheld with a SD card that had every colecovision game on it where you can play it on the go or hook it up to a TV! Anyone want to help me start a kickstarter! :-D :thumbsup:

Yeah, but i bet all games were created by Sega

Coleco liscenced almost EVERYTHING

Even the games Coleco created were liscenced

And THIS is the problem with including CV games with something like that

Edited by retroillucid

retroillucid, on 10 Oct 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:retroillucid, on 10 Oct 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

Yeah, but i bet all games were created by Sega

Coleco liscenced almost EVERYTHING

Even the games Coleco created were liscenced

And THIS is the problem with including CV games with something like that

Well you wouldn't haft to include games, people could just load roms onto the SD card. Maybe include one default game (a original homebrew to avoid any licensing problems) with the system. People could load the roms on there own free will

Edited by RelliK111

Well you wouldn't haft to include games, people could just load roms onto the SD card. Maybe include one default game (a original homebrew to avoid any licensing problems) with the system. People could load the roms on there own free will

I think the best aproach is what 5-11under is currently doing (new pcb)

He could sell the Replacement Motherboard and offer a complete console solution as well

Get a new small console mold made and voilà! :)

• Like 1

I use a Sony PSP-1000 for exactly this. All you have to do is SoftMod the system (which is extremely easy to do... copy the SoftMod to your SD Card and the PSP is modded), copy the Coleco emulator and rom files to the SD Card and away you go. The latest SoftMods offer far better compatibility than the older mods and now even allow for the running of copied PSP games that are in ISO or CSO format. Years ago, a more involved process was required as well as the purchase of a Pandora Battery, but that's not needed anymore with the latest SoftMods.

What's great is you have a wealth of emulators available for use on the PSP all the way up to the N64 and most are very well done and PSP-1000s can be had fairly cheaply.

Never looked into hooking the PSP up to a TV, but I'm sure it can be done.

• Like 1

I use a Sony PSP-1000 for exactly this. All you have to do is SoftMod the system (which is extremely easy to do... copy the SoftMod to your SD Card and the PSP is modded), copy the Coleco emulator and rom files to the SD Card and away you go. The latest SoftMods offer far better compatibility than the older mods and now even allow for the running of copied PSP games that are in ISO or CSO format. Years ago, a more involved process was required as well as the purchase of a Pandora Battery, but that's not needed anymore with the latest SoftMods.

What's great is you have a wealth of emulators available for use on the PSP all the way up to the N64 and most are very well done and PSP-1000s can be had fairly cheaply.

Never looked into hooking the PSP up to a TV, but I'm sure it can be done.

Humm..... Should do that with my PSP , and since I've a PSP store display, maybe I could sell it as a ColecoVision Store Display :D :P

• Like 1

I think the best aproach is what 5-11under is currently doing (new pcb)

He could sell the Replacement Motherboard and offer a complete console solution as well

Get a new small console mold made and voilà! :)

I do plan on future revisions/variations/expansions of the CV PCB that could enable some of the features of a flashback unit. The only problem is that I doubt they'll ever hit the price point that the masses are looking for.

Back on track with the thread maybe... when I first saw the Kickstarter page (before seeing this thread), I thought it was going to be a physical console. I was kind of disappointed that it was an app. I'm sure it will/would be good and all, but for me, if I'm using a tablet (Android), I stick with games that are free and more conducive to the touch (and tilt) screen.

Here's the pitch video

I know it's a bit much but we're dealing with a console that's fading into obscurity (ask the gamers of today and they will assurantly tell you that they never heard of such a console) and it's up to all us to

1. make sure it gets funded to keep the legacy alive

2. exceed it by reaching all of it's stretch goals (android, 3DS, etc.)

Keep in mind while the Vectrex library is in the public domain, This time we're dealing with a console that has library that's laden with licensed goods

and by exceeding the Kickstarter in hopefully Mighty No. 9 purportions - we may see more licensed games coming to it

All we need to do is show support and pledge with all our might instead of bicker

Edited by CyberKFox

I know it's a bit much but we're dealing with a console that's fading into obscurity (ask the gamers of today and they will assurantly tell you that they never heard of such a console) and it's up to all us to

1. make sure it gets funded to keep the legacy alive

2. exceed it by reaching all of it's stretch goals (android, 3DS, etc.)

Keep in mind while the Vectrex library is in the public domain, This time we're dealing with a console that has library that's laden with licensed goods

and by exceeding the Kickstarter in hopefully Mighty No. 9 purportions - we may see more licensed games coming to it

All we need to do is show support and pledge with all our might instead of bicker

I haven't noticed any bickering, at least not in the "arguing" sense of the word. Discussion and opinion, for sure!

If the app project doesn't get funded, don't worry... the legacy of the ColecoVision doesn't rely on just this single project. It's being kept alive in many other ways: console refurbishing, new games, converted games, flash carts, new controllers, an expansion module, a book hopefully, and I'm sure many more things in the future. That's pretty good for a system that lives in the shadows of the 8 bit giants Atari and Nintendo.

• Like 6

A Plug N Play CV system for $20 - $30 is impossible, simply because of the liscencing

hence why this IOS kickstarter campaign hope to reach $200,000

The best bet would be a CV system (small unit) with a cartridge slot and SD card slot as well

The SD would act like the Atarimax SD cartridge

That's not impossible, actually. While I'm sure the retail price of such a system will be $50, as is usually the case with these systems, if you catch a sale, it will be as low as $30. There will never be a cartridge slot, but an SD slot for a future version is a real possibility if the first one does well.

Announcements will happen soon about apps and TV game consoles from other companies. Hopefully it's very soon. With that said, I really like the Vectrex iOS app and there *may* be room for more than one app, but it really is a rather high goal they're going after on Kickstarter. Regardless, if it doesn't make its goal, rest assured that's not the only ColecoVision product coming.

The problem I see with this project is we don't even know what will happen in the next years with Ipad technology

I mean, what would it be in , let's say 5 years?

That's why I would prefer a Plug n Play or a completely new Colecovision

Sure, it's always great to see some new CV stuff, don't get me wrong

I truly admire the efforts that goes behind this project

But I do think they ask A WAY TOO MUCH!

They explained why they asked $250,000 , ....

From what I understand, the pledge is high because they wanted everybody to have a little something when they invested

But, why no lower the amount they ask and simply don't give goodies with

Anyway, I wish them the best but as for me, I'm not going to invest into this

My money goes into 5-11under's new CV motherboard

That's not impossible, actually. While I'm sure the retail price of such a system will be $50, as is usually the case with these systems, if you catch a sale, it will be as low as $30. There will never be a cartridge slot, but an SD slot for a future version is a real possibility if the first one does well.

Announcements will happen soon about apps and TV game consoles from other companies. Hopefully it's very soon. With that said, I really like the Vectrex iOS app and there *may* be room for more than one app, but it really is a rather high goal they're going after on Kickstarter. Regardless, if it doesn't make its goal, rest assured that's not the only ColecoVision product coming.

It looks like you know something we don't. ;)

I think those of us on this board are a special class of consumer. I think most of us try to support everything to advance our collective classic gaming interests. Certainly most of us are into the real hardware and all that involves, but it's important to consider the mass of people who are nostalgic but don't want to invest in the real thing. There's a definite halo effect from an influx of mainstream consumers that I think would benefit our particular interests in some manner.

• Like 1

I think those of us on this board are a special class of consumer. I think most of us try to support everything to advance our collective classic gaming interests. Certainly most of us are into the real hardware and all that involves, but it's important to consider the mass of people who are nostalgic but don't want to invest in the real thing. There's a definite halo effect from an influx of mainstream consumers that I think would benefit our particular interests in some manner.

I agree

But by questioning a project with high potential, It's pretty contradictional to the interest of this board whom are a "special class of consumer"

They stated that if the kickstarter exceeds it's goal (via high interest) it will go to other platforms

They hinted to me that the 3DS is a possibility for this

It would be best if you ask them your concerns, I assure you they did listen to our complaints about the goal - thus why they DID issue the explaination earlier today

and by punishing the project by letting it suffer ala River City Ransom: Underground (during the pledge runs of both Mighty No. 9 and Shantae: Half Genie Hero respectively) [i.e.: Ignoring it and hope it fails or never reach any of it's stretch goals on time] it also contradicts the passion of retro gaming this board and those outside of it are suppose to uphold

From the pitch video, They have shown passion for this project

This should show that they are not puliing off a Neo Geo X Gold here (i.e. stealing an existing emu and use it as a basis and slap tech and casing on it) but a compilation that's truly faithful to the legacy of Colecovision

Edited by CyberKFox

and by punishing the project by letting suffer ala River City Ransom: Underground (during the pledge runs of both Mighty No. 9 and Shantae: Half Genie Hero respectively) [i.e.: Ignoring it and hope it fails or never reach any of it's stretch goals on time] it also contradicts the passion of retro gaming this board and those outside of it of which we are suppose to uphold

From the pitch video, They have shown passion for this project

Contradicts the passion or retro gaming on this board!?

Why? Because some peoples did not find appealing the idea of a ColecoVision EMULATOR for the IOS

They said, it's not a simple emulator, really!? What else is different beside having a TV and a CV system pictured

It's a beautifull emulator, but it's still emulator

I say, forget about the IOS emulator and release the thing as a physical format for 3DS/PsVita and next gen consoles and I WILL INVEST SOME GREAT MONEY

And don't ask me to funds the project with, "if we ever get XXX amount of cash, then physical release willl happen"

Do it the other way! ask people to funds the physical release and you get XXX amount of cash, you would do a IOS release

My two cents

• Like 2