IGNORED

PC Game Deals

JamesD

2 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

Steam's Winter Sale started yesterday. Lots of hot deals to be had. I was surprised to see Robocop: Rogue City on sale for 30% off already, so I picked it up.

Ugh yeah they went all out this year.  I have a wishlist I expanded recently having decided to finally order my new computer, and also get rid of my gamecube as well.  So much stuff at the 50-75% off mark now.  Also that new Sonic game from October is already at 40% off as well.

My big problem with the Steam sales is always trying to sift through the tens of thousands of games they have on sale to find stuff I want to buy. Not their "featured" stuff, as much of that is either stuff I don't want to play or is already in my library. And certainly not the stuff they think I want to play. That's why I nabbed Robocop when I saw it on sale. Something I don't have that I was definitely interested in, in fact I had it on my wishlist.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Also that new Sonic game from October is already at 40% off as well.

Yeah, I see that. You're right, they're hitting it hard.

11 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

My big problem with the Steam sales is always trying to sift through the tens of thousands of games they have on sale to find stuff I want to buy. Not their "featured" stuff, as much of that is either stuff I don't want to play or is already in my library. And certainly not the stuff they think I want to play. That's why I nabbed Robocop when I saw it on sale. Something I don't have that I was definitely interested in, in fact I had it on my wishlist.

Yeah, I see that. You're right, they're hitting it hard.

You know I agree, it was more for GoG for years, but now that I'm stepping up to a new computer whenever it arrives and no longer buying consoles as they're just kneecapped walled garden versions of PCs.  Steam I was a lesser bit of a fan since you don't get the GoG downloads, but they've proven over time to let stuff roll over OS and decades even so I'm willing to start buying on there again vs(over?) GoG depending on what.  I tripled my wishlist, but I won't buy all that right now.  I also found some nice lists online, lost one, but bookmarked the other that lists all the Dramcast releases that had PC versions so I can scoop those, the Gamecube I forgot to.  GC I saw that Symphonia, RE4, Killer7 and a few others (including the DC-GC overlap) were on there which is nice.

I think the best choice outside say if you wanted something really fresh like that Sonic game, it's best to wait at least until a 50% or really 60%+ discount before biting to space it out.  50% would be those that perpetually won't go lower due to the developer like the NGPC Collection Vol1+2.

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

You know I agree, it was more for GoG for years, but now that I'm stepping up to a new computer whenever it arrives and no longer buying consoles as they're just kneecapped walled garden versions of PCs.  Steam I was a lesser bit of a fan since you don't get the GoG downloads, but they've proven over time to let stuff roll over OS and decades even so I'm willing to start buying on there again vs(over?) GoG depending on what.  I tripled my wishlist, but I won't buy all that right now.  I also found some nice lists online, lost one, but bookmarked the other that lists all the Dramcast releases that had PC versions so I can scoop those, the Gamecube I forgot to.  GC I saw that Symphonia, RE4, Killer7 and a few others (including the DC-GC overlap) were on there which is nice.

I think the best choice outside say if you wanted something really fresh like that Sonic game, it's best to wait at least until a 50% or really 60%+ discount before biting to space it out.  50% would be those that perpetually won't go lower due to the developer like the NGPC Collection Vol1+2.

l told myself I wasn't even going to get into this generation of consoles, and I wound up with both a Series S and a PS5, but I'm really starting to wonder why. The games worth playing are on PC with better options for resolution, customizable experiences, etc. Plus, mouse and keyboard. I think the Series S has more games that support mouse and keyboard than the PS5 does, but on PC all of them do. I even installed Starfield using my XBOX app a while back on my PC and I find that it loads faster from my Western Digital NVME drive than it does from the Seagate expansion drive that I paid too much for. Both drives are 1TB, but the WD NVME drive is faster and cost a heck of a lot less. So, yeah, I'm not really feeling the love for this current generation of consoles. Plus, I built my PC myself, as I usually do, so it's a more personal experience. And I have 292 games on Steam and 194 on GOG. And I have a great mix of stuff from old 80s DOS games up to recent releases and everything in between. Not counting retro collections like the Atari, Sega, TMNT, etc. collections, you can't really play anything that spans generations like that on any console.

Back to the sale. Yeah, except for Robocop, which I just got because I'm a huge Robocop fan and I wanted that game, I'm really only going for deep discounts. I got Gotham Knights for $8.99 USD plus tax last night. That's 85% off the usual price of $59.99. Now that's what I call a deep discount. Also, when I was buying Robocop, I bought all of the DLC I was missing for Planet Coaster, most of which is 60% off.

I'll keep it from going huge quoting you @scifidude79 and say I caught on a bit before.  I got a bit leery seeing the previous generation start nearly what a decade ago now with the PS4 and that XB console, if you can call them consoles.  The XB since day one has been a P3 chip on that, and computer since, Sony post PS3 and even then comparable output, was largely like one too.  With MS being on the forefront of PC gaming, having their colors, their controller, their nomenclature over everything on Steam, (newer indie, etc) GoG, etc releases it started to smell.  That generation a vast majority of console exclusive vanished, they were on PC, same time, and usually out of the gate for a little less, and within weeks or a season (quarterly season sales) on Steam, steam key sites, and GoG were already going 20-50% less at/after launch.  Those very games easily ran to a TV with a basic HDMI cable(I do this) ran at the same resolution (1080p or 1440p) at a rock solid 60FPS if not higher which those consoles couldn't hack at all.  Yet I got a PS4, saw a sweetheart bundle deal I grabbed, sold the crappy extras/games off and nabbed it for just $200, and for the two years I had it, my 2014(black friday) PC beat its sorry ass (even still matched the PS4Pro too) so I had like Godzilla and a few others, very few others, so it sat, then was used as a movie player...then I was like WTF and cashed out, broke even with the games and console, no loss thankfully.  After that I was done, it was a waste of my time, money(almost), space on my TV space for systems, hdmi port, you get the idea.  I've ignored this generation, Switch gets the pass because 1st/2nd party games and those 3rd party solid ports from whatever from indies, mobile, etc that are great as it's a dockable handheld.

I'm over it.

I have a new sager/xoticpc gaming laptop coming again 9 years later whenever it's build, tested, shipped (I hope before I get back to work...grr.) i9-13900HX, GeForce RTX 4060, 17.3" FHD screen at 144hz, 64GB of 5600mhz ram, a 500GB boot ssd with a 2TB samsung NVME SSD Gen4, added copper cooling plates to both those drives, also added in a 4port USB 3.0 hub for my devices and a all in 1 usb memory card reader as I need those.  Ordered on the side an LG blu ray/dvdrw usb device since I watch a good bit of movies and use optical still.  I got some discounts, and a solid set of 3 freebies a 6fan cooling stand, a raptor bluetooth headset/mic combo, and this strange oversized led lit mouse pad.  I grabbed the XoticPC 970SND/NP70SND machine from them and boosted a few things.  That'll last me a long time coming just like this one, which is slighty on rare occasion twitchy and on its second keyboard now too, it'll be a backup if I ever have issues.

Since I have a PC swap coming, holding off buying since the sale I think is until the 4th, so I don't have to download crap twice.

• 4 weeks later...

GOG has quite a few "full" games that are free forever. But it can be quite difficult to find them in the store page. Selecting the "Show only free games" filter will also show demo versions of paid games resulting in a long list to browse. But there is a "hidden" URL that shows only the free games (thus excluding free demos and free DLC) which saves a lot of browsing:

https://www.gog.com/partner/free_games

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At one point years ago I just added anything they handed out, but it got overwhelming and a good bit of it just really isn't that good.  There are some hard core gems in there like the Jill of the Jungle trilogy among others so I'd advise skim the list, watch the clip, read the player comments and go for it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

At one point years ago I just added anything they handed out, but it got overwhelming and a good bit of it just really isn't that good.  There are some hard core gems in there like the Jill of the Jungle trilogy among others so I'd advise skim the list, watch the clip, read the player comments and go for it.

This describes my Steam, Epic and GoG libraries. 100's of games I snagged for free that I probably will never get around to playing meanwhile Forza 4, Slay the Spire and Skyrim get all the attention. 🤣

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ClassicGMR said:

This describes my Steam, Epic and GoG libraries. 100's of games I snagged for free that I probably will never get around to playing meanwhile Forza 4, Slay the Spire and Skyrim get all the attention. 🤣

Yeah I got turned off by Steam a long time ago when GoG kicked off, and I went through gog/humble bundle and ended up with a 200-300 game spread of paid and largely unpaid to dollar or less titles.  Steam though I had binned stuff you can recover, and used the end of the year sales for very cheap to grab what I had of value on GoG both had and picked that up since it's my primary 'console' gaming system now here on this new computer since I have a rock solid 360 PC/USB pad.  GoG I've basically gaslighted at this rate most of my buys because they've been kind of rude and unhelpful on a few features I'll ask yearly about with a runaround of the wishlist they utterly ignore anyway.  GoG now I have installed galaxy and still in a months time NOT installed the few remaining games I kept on it that are exclusive (the blizzard stuff, wing commander/origin games, a few others... at most 30 titles, and really they're franchise spreads from WC, pinball, etc.  Steam though, that's right around the 100 mark and a wishlist in the low 60s at the moment I'll get around to slowly as the price cuts rack up into the 66% and higher levels. :)  I never really saw Steam but rarely give stuff away like GoG does to get attention now though.

• Like 1

Yeah, I learned not to just grab games because they're free or on a great sale. I'm not knocking anyone who does, but I have to sift through some crap in both my Steam and GOG libraries because I nabbed them 80% or more off. Especially GOG, I got a lot of stuff in a massive sale years ago because the games looked OK and every ____ purchase got you more free stuff. I did that on the PS4 at one point too. The difference is, those games were AAA titles and they still aren't that good to me. 🤣

@scifidude79 The sifting is a real burden, GoG refuses to follow a big request people have to de-list games like Steam has allowed for ages.  It comes out of your game list, not just stuffed in hidden, but it's pseudo-GONE GONE.  You can if you remember what you have, through the website only, go in and hit a support page for X game and say you wanted to re-add it to the account since they keep financial records and get it back.  That's partly why I have 100 steam games about right now because I had nuked a good number when GoG did the chaining to get a copy over there, or they had a 75+% off sale so I paid a few bucks and swapped over.

But they refuse to allow you to remove games, you can kind of hide them, but they still perpetually email, put green dots, and harass you about anything you ever bought even if it's so-called hidden.  They said they don't plan to do it, don't want to do it, and said you can keep wishlisting it and that's about it.  I kind of f'ing had enough of them ignoring wishlists on features, basic shit too, not just that, let alone games that they should get or get correctly.  They'll get a good number of titles Steam has, but they will keep them 1+ versions out of date, not add the DLC even to buy or even acknowledge it, etc.  They largely seem to only have value if you want something they have a long term/permanent exclusivity over and that's it.  I'm just over their shit trying to act like they take the higher ground because DRM... because DRM doesn't mean gaslight and ignore your buyers.  I've yet to get all my gog goodies up on steam, but I bookmarked them on that side for a steep cut sale, then I'll carry it over which is part of the 60~ wishlists I have.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

You can if you remember what you have, through the website only, go in and hit a support page for X game and say you wanted to re-add it to the account since they keep financial records and get it back.

You can do that through the desktop client also. At one point, I went hard into Linux. I removed every single Windows or Windows/Mac only game from my library, I only kept my Linux games. After I started using Windows 11, I went through my purchase history on the Steam desktop client and got my Windows games back. Of course, now I wouldn't do that with Proton being a thing. I just put together a PC and I have Kubuntu installed on it, upon which I'm currently installing the Mass Effect Legendary edition to see how it runs. 😊

I agree, the ability to remove games from GOG would be nice. I do have several things hidden in my library, but they're still there. Lurking. Though, to be honest, I want that function on the PS5 also and I know that's been requested. These big companies just don't like listening to the features people actually want, and instead like adding features that nobody or not a lot of people asked for. 🙄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zeptari said:

Anyone here play this? Any good? worth getting on Steam sale?

I've been watching it for a while but have never pulled the trigger.  I hear pretty bad things actually.  While I saw the post above, I decided it was not worth signing up for Prime just to get it.  

Will be watching for a DEEP discount.

That reminds me when I found another way to look up steam buys using the family setup, I found like 30 games I had been bundled or bought as far as a dozen years ago, and one of them was Atari Vault that has been since delisted.  It's an interesting mix of the old ehhh console but a number of the arcade originals as well.  Anyone here ever get and play much with it while it was still an active listing?

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That reminds me when I found another way to look up steam buys using the family setup, I found like 30 games I had been bundled or bought as far as a dozen years ago, and one of them was Atari Vault that has been since delisted.  It's an interesting mix of the old ehhh console but a number of the arcade originals as well.  Anyone here ever get and play much with it while it was still an active listing?

I have it.  It is pretty much the exact same lineup as the Atari Flashback classics that were released in separate volumes a few years later (and have now been replaced with Atari 50).  Eventually Flashback Classics had more games and some from the 5200 and 7800, but initially it was all the same.  There are no special features or interviews aside from cabinet views etc.

There are some nice unique achievements in there that are kinda fun.  Makes playing the old games (again) somewhat interesting.  Although I find their achievements for the old games to be either ridiculously easy or insanely hard.  I own an Asteroids Deluxe cocktail and the achievement (in Flashback Classics) is to get to 40k without dying.  I can't even score that much on 3 lives.  (Maybe I just suck).

To view my Steam library along with Gog, Epic, Xbox, PS, Itch.io, I use the Playnite manager.  Very helpful.  I also use this website A LOT - Steam library filters (lorenzostanco.com).  Once you get your library in there, the cookies will bring it up every time.  Super helpful.

• Like 2

Fanatical's got a new ($15+ charity bundle) for SafeInOurWorld, which seems to be mostly a news/media site. An 'interesting' funding angle for that, in the days where such outlets are mostly dying, but I digress. 

It's a really sweet bundle, that I normally wouldn't share, but it's got a lot of the new-Atari stuff, and is more up our alley than most.

Atari's got Akka Arrh, Mr. Run-and-Jump and some of the recharged: breakout, centipede, caverns of mars.

Also of note are: Arcade Paradise, Vampire Savior, and Zool Redimensioned

And enough young kids' games, (peppa pig, paw patrol, etc) that father's can plausibly pretend 'it's for the kids'

I haven't been hugely 'into' the new-Atari stuff. Even on sale it was a bit much, but this bundle certainly changes that.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Reaperman said:

Fanatical's got a new ($15+ charity bundle) for SafeInOurWorld, which seems to be mostly a news/media site. An 'interesting' funding angle for that, in the days where such outlets are mostly dying, but I digress. 

It's a really sweet bundle, that I normally wouldn't share, but it's got a lot of the new-Atari stuff, and is more up our alley than most.

Atari's got Akka Arrh, Mr. Run-and-Jump and some of the recharged: breakout, centipede, caverns of mars.

Also of note are: Arcade Paradise, Vampire Savior, and Zool Redimensioned

And enough young kids' games, (peppa pig, paw patrol, etc) that father's can plausibly pretend 'it's for the kids'

I haven't been hugely 'into' the new-Atari stuff. Even on sale it was a bit much, but this bundle certainly changes that.

Well, I may have to create a Fanatical account now.  That looks pretty great.

• Like 1