IGNORED

Fighter pilots needed in sector wars...

PacManPlus

Hi Guys:

Ok - just tried both games (Astro Blaster and Super Circus AA) on physical carts.

Astro Blaster: I think I hear what you are referring to, although it isn't that noticeable (to me) even with the volume loud. Unfortunately it isn't something that can be removed as it's from the toggling of the different, single frame tones that is used for the enemy drone. :(

With regard to Super Circus, you must have your volume really loud! Again, I do hear what you are referring to, but it is very low on my system :(

I'll see what I can do about it.

Thanks for the feedback,

Bob

Thank you :) It seems to only happen on the real thing. Again, it is because each sound is only 1 frame long, and that constant changing frequency is what is causing that sound.

@AtariBrian & Yurkie: I've posted the 'static free' version of Super Circus AtariAge in the respective thread. Thanks for alerting me to that issue. ;)

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks, Nathan!

Funny you should mention that... I was in the shower, and I thought that I should put some text just above the player when (s)he is running low on fuel or the laser overheats.

I've alreay done it, but had to leave for work so I'll post it as soon as I get home. :)

Bob

Regarding Sector 8 I will give one hint, because I know nobody will find it otherwise:

It's the old well-known combination of directions, done at a certain point during the game when not controlling the player. :D

• Like 1

In the latest build, in Sector 4, where the rocket-shaped enemies fly down at you diagonally (first from one corner, then the other), I didn't hit anything, didn't shoot anything. I just dodged them, they didn't come back, and I got secret bonus 16.

Is that supposed work that way?

post-2641-0-28494300-1389787195_thumb.png

(Screenshot is from the demo mode, but this is the level it happened on.)

Edited by Nathan Strum

How cool would it be if this game worked with atarivox and talked and said everything like the arcade did ! Love the label btw

I did suggest that, but maybe it can be hacked in after the cart, or It leaves the option of me doing a 2600 version with AtariVox+ speech.

I am really new to this game and am even unsure how to get the secret bonuses . But when playing the other day Im ( pretty sure ) I got a secret bonus and didnt shoot the enemies in any order or anything that should of got me a secret bonus . Cant remember the board so I should play more and try to find it or any others . Is there a list of the secret bonuses or is that kind of a secret ?

LOL - thanks guys :)

I am really new to this game and am even unsure how to get the secret bonuses . But when playing the other day Im ( pretty sure ) I got a secret bonus and didnt shoot the enemies in any order or anything that should of got me a secret bonus . Cant remember the board so I should play more and try to find it or any others . Is there a list of the secret bonuses or is that kind of a secret ?

http://www.donhodges.com/Astro_Blaster_Secret_Bonus_01.htm

Make sure you use the latest binary - I just fixed an issue where you still got a specific secret bonus if you let all of the enemies (without shooting them) exit the bottom of the screen.

I find that the graphic for a 7800 game looks quite modest. Lauter monochrome sprites on a black background. Could be that the original has just been seen, but the 7800 can do more.

*I can't reply to you on the site that this originated from, because it is in German and I cannot speak German.

I believe I've already explained why the ships are monochrome. There isn't enough Maria time to have multi color sprites in one zone. There are 10 enemies in one zone in certain stages, and it approaches the limit as it is when there are shots involved as well. Also, when updating during the VBLANK, you'll notice that when there are 16 enemies on the screen (like the very first stage), fewer shots are made by the enemies because it couldn't handle updating all 7 shots + all enemies + player every frame.

I'd be willing to bet that nobody can get all enemies and all shots on the screen with 320B mode, especially in the 3rd squadron of sector 1 and the last squadron in sector 2 - with everything moving as smoothly as they do here *moving every frame*. (I say that because I was toying with the possibility of moving them every other frame - like Asteroids does with the rocks - but things didn't look right).

:)

• Like 2

Lauter monochrome sprites on a black background.

*Goes to look up "Lauter" - finds reference to beer - now really confused* :grin:

Anyhow, the monochrome nature looks worse than it is for this game under emulators, especially if you don't have CRT emulation incorporated/turned on. Ditto, if you play this on a modern flat-panel display. Under a CRT with (NTSC) artifacts the difference can be huge. A great example is Tower Toppler from the original retail line.

Astro Blaster's graphics (And the 320 modes of the 7800 overall) can be enhanced by automatic utilization of features that are found when played on the original target devices (I.E. Actual 7800 console on an actual CRT).

Tower Toppler ('Monochrone' 320 Mode): http://www.atari7800.org/screenshots/Tower_Topplerscreen.htm

Play Tower Toppler under Prosystem, it looks 'bland' compared to the shots from a CRT linked above.

Regardless, the game is still awesome and another 'hit it out of the park' port by Bob. The action and gameplay is intense, you don't even have time to focus on the number of colors the enemy ships contain when you're actually playing the game ("Playing the game" would be key here).

Even more so than the "inspired" Megamania on the 2600, this game is so damn good, it doesn't matter if the ships have 1 or 10 colors - the most important factor - gameplay - is rock solid. I rather have this game with less colors and playing smooth with near arcade perfection, than more colors with less engaging, responding, or/and poorer controls and 'botchy/rough' on-screen action.

• Like 2

Even more so than the "inspired" Megamania on the 2600, this game is so damn good, it doesn't matter if the ships have 1 or 10 colors - the most important factor - gameplay - is rock solid. I rather have this game with less colors and playing smooth with near arcade perfection, than more colors with less engaging, responding, or/and poorer controls and 'botchy/rough' on-screen action.

I whole heartily concur

• Like 1

Some sound effect comments--

The latest build seems to have broken the "sonar" sound during docking. I hear... something, but it doesn't sound anything like it used to.

Compared to how spot-on the rest of the sounds are, the enemy firing sound seems really "crunchy" and out of place. Listening to the arcade version, it seems like the enemy firing sound is supposed to kind of sound like the player firing sound in reverse.

Asteroids make no explosion sound when shot.

Is there any way to get TIA to approximate the deep rumble sound during the asteroid phase?

Also, I noticed that the player can still fire after getting killed, while the explosion is playing. The arcade version doesn't allow that.

Edited by ZylonBane