IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2014!

Charlie Cat

13. Street Fighter Alpha 2 - Playstation 2 (Anniversary Collection)

Cleared Arcade mode with my boy Akuma.. I enjoyed this one a lot more than the first game (as most people do it seems). Not a lot I can say.. Will be replaying I am sure.. Also looking forward to "Gold" although I'm not sure what the difference is.

14. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan - 3DS

Wow. What an amazing game. First Person Dungeon Crawler, done right. Beat the final boss(es) at around the 47 hour mark, but there seems to be quite a bit of post game content that I am going to work on before I put this one down.. Fantastic game.. GOTY for me thus far.

• Like 1

13. Street Fighter Alpha 2 - Playstation 2 (Anniversary Collection)

Cleared Arcade mode with my boy Akuma.. I enjoyed this one a lot more than the first game (as most people do it seems). Not a lot I can say.. Will be replaying I am sure.. Also looking forward to "Gold" although I'm not sure what the difference is.

I'm currently having a blast playing "Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix" from that collection. Totally over the top button mashing, but also tons of fun :)

I'm currently having a blast playing "Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix" from that collection. Totally over the top button mashing, but also tons of fun :)

Haha right on! I never really could get the hang of it.. But I will definitely revisit it at some point.. That collection is really fantastic!! Still need to track down the collection that hast Hyper SF2 and Third Strike... Really want to play both of those!!! I am most likely going to get Third Strike Online for ps3 also! SO MUCH STREET FIGHTER!

• Like 1

Returning to the topic, during the last couple of days I completed Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix (PS2) with all twelve characters :)

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2 & Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix

• Like 1

Tonight, I finished Blackwell Unbound. I think the second entry has more interested in the overall story than I was at the end of the first game. I'm really curious now to see the story progression, and I actually want to go ahead and start the third game (though I'm going to make myself wait until tomorrow).

I finished out the Blackwell Bundle with Blackwell Convergence and Blackwell Deception. I'm looking forward to getting Blackwell Epiphany and finishing the series. It's been an entertaining series, and it's been interesting seeing the evolution of the games (though I actually think that Convergence was better than Deception both aesthetically and narratively).

I also beat How to Survive, playing the entire game via online co-op with a friend who is new to gaming. I know that there are plenty of complaints about this game, but we had a lot of fun. However, that might not have been the case were I playing alone.

27. Steel Harbinger (PlayStation)

This third-person shooter is something like a cross between Robotron: 2084 and Gauntlet Legends, but with a female mutant protagonist and a fixed-camera perspective that perennially foregrounds her exposed backside.

I wanted to like Steel Harbinger, and for a while I was entertained by its trashy aesthetic and thoroughly '90s sensibility -- it could easily be a 3DO title. But the stages are overlong and dull, the design is confusing and often suspect, and the free-roaming gameplay is mostly an illusion since you pretty much have to be in collectathon mode to earn enough money to pay your fare to the next area. Still, shooting stuff is fun for a while, and kept me interested long enough to finish the game. C.

28. All-Star Tennis '99 (Nintendo 64)

This crude-looking specimen of earlyish 3D seemed to have little meat on the bone since, as soon as I fully grasped the controls, I was able to plow through exhibition matches and Tournament mode with ease. Even on Hard, none of the opponents seemed able to withstand my character's big groundstrokes. However, World Tour mode offered real resistance, suggesting that victory could only come from developing an all-court game that mixed steady defense and well-timed offense.

But just as I was getting good (and warming up to the game despite its erratic controls), I realized that every match could be won trivially by simply slicing the ball short, over and over again. Sometimes it took just one or two shots (Bjorkman), sometimes it took seven or eight (Conchita Martinez), but sooner or later my opponent would inevitably overhit the ball and lose the point. From that point on, it was 6-0 or 6-1 all the way -- and while I like a good junkballer as much as anyone, that's excessive. Alas, the novelty Bomb Tennis mode lives up to its name, so what's left? D+.

29. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (GameCube)

There's a lot that one might criticize about this cel-shaded beat-'em-up, especially the irritating camera that never seems to be in quite the right place -- it's always zoomed in too much or tilts at the wrong angle. And in 2P mode it won't expand past a certain point, creating invisible barriers that can awkwardly pin one or both players at the edge of the screen.

But it says something that my other half and I sunk hours into the game, ultimately beating it with all 4 turtles on all three difficulties, and unlocking and winning the extra battle with Oroku Saki. (I also beat the game solo on Hard.) It manages, in other words, to be fun, and isn't that the point? B+.

• Like 1

15. Street Fighter X Tekken - Playstation 3

Continuing the trend of Capcom fighters, bought this even tho I have the free version on the Vita, because I wanted to play with a stick. And I must say, I don't quite understand all the hate for this game! I think it has a lot of redeeming qualities.. I really liked the cross/tag team mechanics.. I have zero experience with Tekken, so I can't really judge from the Tekken perspective, but I really like a lot of the characters used.. Needless to say, if Tekken X Street Fighter ever finds its way to console, I will probably give it a Shot.

16. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Xbox 360

Been a long time coming for this one.. Played the piss out of the multiplayer when it was new, but never touched the campaign.. Was home sick for a couple of days last week, and wanted to play a FPS, so I threw this in one of the days, and blasted straight thru it.. Very enjoyable..

• Like 1

Phew... during the last fourteen days I completed Rival Schools (PSX Arcade Disc) with all sixteen characters twice, once for the "good" and once for the "bad" ending... :)

I figured early on that I'd have to make a decision for either the Arcade or the Evolution disc, since they didn't share the save games. I chose to play the Arcade disc then, since it offered the "story" mode of the game.

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix & Rival Schools

• Like 1

Just finished MDK (GOG version). This was my on/off game for almost half a year, I was only occasionally playing it when the TV was occupied by my kids and I got bored with Facebook or something like that :)

I remember how I was blown away when it originally came out 17 years ago, but it has really gotten old since then ;)

30. Rad Racket: Deluxe Tennis II (NES)

The umpire's cry of "YUK A RAT" is the main thing that saves this unlicensed tennis game from the bottom of the barrel, though the claim that you can instantly win the game by hitting the rat turned out to be unfounded (I guess you probably need to hit it multiple times to kill it). Otherwise, this is basically like a slightly less annoying version of the original NES Tennis (one of my least favorite games of all time), except with fake players and a court-surface-based difficulty system. Hard court is exactly what it sounds like, and I beat the CPU 6-1 6-1 6-1 with (ahem) "John Macaroni". D-.

31. Platoon (NES)

Not quite as bad as people claim; I didn't have a hard time mapping out the infamous, maze-like first level at all, and got some satisfaction from beating it. But maze navigation is practically the whole of the gameplay, unless you count a few trial-and-error moments designed to artificially extend its shelf life. What's left is like a mixture of Contra, Golgo-13, and Impossible Mission, except that it's terrible. D.

32. Tama & Friends: 3 Choume Dai Bouken (Famicom Disk System)

This hop-'n'-bop platformer got a brief review near the end of Chrontendo Episode 42, and something about it caught my eye. Despite the kid-friendly theme it seemed unexpectedly cheap and difficult (just as advertised by Dr. Sparkle), until I figured out that there were secret areas sprinkled all through the stages, including garbage cans and vents that are opened by jumping on them 3x while holding Up (or something like that). These offer much-needed health refills, some given by trapped cats who are always found in a kind of "twilight world" that briefly mirrors the brightly-lit stages; sounds like a mission, but if rescuing them leads to a better ending then I must've overlooked one, since this guy didn't bother and he got the same ending I did.

Anyway, it was a decent way to spend an hour, but the platforming is sketchy, the hits often cheap, and the boss fights one-dimensional. Nice music in a couple of the underground areas, though. C-.

17. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Xbox 360

18. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Xbox 360

Not a whole lot I can say about these two, that one couldn't say about the first game.. Its a shame that the campaigns are PAINFULLY short, with each clocking in under 5 hours of play time.. Which is fine for the used price I got them at, but not if you're paying full retail. Should have just put the 2 together to make 1 game..

I have some experience with the MW2 multiplayer, which is fantastic, but never touched it in MW3..

All in all, despite the reputation Call of Duty has these days, the Modern Warfare trilogy is a fine set of FPS games, with a great story.

19. Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 3DS

Not going to win any awards, but I will definitely say this game is not as bad as i thought it would be..

With all it's flaws I still had a good time with it.. That said, I'm glad its over.

• Like 1

33. Circus Caper (NES)

I'd beaten this long ago using savestates, but decided to play through it semi-legitimately -- the semi- because I was able to skip most areas, and go straight to the boss fight, simply by jumping to the upper-left at the start (with the aid of a block). That doesn't help with the last area, though, which gets a bit tricky. As for the game itself, it's pretty much the essence of mediocrity. D+.

34. Ren & Stimpy: Veediots! (Game Boy)

As I recently said of another game, there's one thing that saves this game from the bottom of the barrel: some of the puzzles in the Stimpy levels show flashes of cleverness. Otherwise, this is truly dreadful, plagued with slowdown, questionable controls, and inscrutable environments. Making matters worse, the sound effects are bugged out about 75% of the time, and I suspect that this title is somehow incompatible with the Game Boy Advance -- or at least I hope that's the case, since if the game actually shipped this way it should be a hanging offense. D-.

35. Captain Silver (US version) (Sega Master System)

I know I always say this when I beat Master System games, but sometimes I wonder how on earth Sega hoped to compete with the NES's rich library when they were releasing games like this. Slow, clunky, and pathetically easy except for a section of irritating platforming near the end, I was able to beat it within about an hour of playing it for the first time. The FM soundtrack is of little benefit, and the graphics are amateurish, so what's left? That said, this version was massively cut down over the EU/JP release, so maybe I'll try that one and see what I think. D.

• 2 weeks later...

20. Final Doom: TNT Evilution - PC

This is fantastic! I never hear much about Final Doom, but I thought these maps were great. Nothing new or groundbreaking, its just Doom 2, with a new layout. But was definitely a lot of fun. Looking forward to playing the other half of the set, "The Plutonia Experiment".

21. Mario Picross - Gameboy

Love me some Picross.. This game has exactly zero to do with Mario... Purely a selling device, that clearly didn't work. That said, I loved it! 192 boards total. 64 easy, 64 medium, and 64 hard. Well worth the nintendo club coins I spent on it! Put around 21 hours into it!

I'm on a freakin roll.... Naw not really.. Just finishing up some short games, some of which have been incomplete for a while..

22. Mario Kart 8 - Wii U

I haven't beat all the races, but I've done enough for me to call it beaten.. Gold cup on all 50cc (all 3 star) and about half the 100cc races. Still enjoying the multiplayer online with my wife. (Anything to keep her interested in my hobby that she normally views as a waste of time and money :grin: )

23. Mystery Case Files: Millionheir - DS

Pretty fun "I spy" style point and click game.. I thought it utilized the DS pretty well! Dual screens, stylus and even the microphone.. Good stuff. Very short, funny dialogue & some clever puzzles.. I rather enjoyed my 7 hours playtime with it.