IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2014 (Season 7)

MY WEEK (March 24th-30th):

Atari 2600:

1) Centipede - 161 minutes

2) Chuck Norris Superkicks - 42 minutes

3) Kung Fu Master - 9 minutes

4) Dig Dug - 111 minutes

Atari 7800:

1) b*nQ (Q*Bert Homebrew by Ken Siders) - 123 minutes

Check out the following videos:

1) 7800 b*nQ: Easy Variation - 1,014,470 points

2) 2600 Centipede: Standard - 1,000,000 points (Rolled The Score)

3) 2600 Chuck Norris Superkicks and Kung-Fu Master (2 IN 1)

4) 2600 DIG DUG: Normal - 1,537,670 points

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqq-qsZ_Q9I

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 3

Tandy1000-

Ms Pacman- 20min

Blockbuster- 1hr 10min

I should classify the Tandy 1000 under "PC (DOS)", right? I'm not sure whether the PCjr. lineage should have its own category or not.

I remember looking at that computer in Radio Shack catalogs BITD; it always looked pretty tasty. BTW the Wikipedia page for the Tandy 1000 starts with a hilarious picture -- someone had some fun!

• Like 2

My times for the week:

Atari 2600:

2048 - 2 min.

Porky's - 11 min.

NES:

Hot Slot - 22 min.

Iron Tank - 2 min.

Game Boy:

Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle - 70 min.

Maru's Mission - 3 min.

Super Hunchback - 1 min.

Urban Strike - 4 min.

Genesis:

Bare Knuckle III - 4 min.

3DO:

Jurassic Park Interactive - 385 min.

Don't be deceived by the big numbers on Jurassic Park Interactive -- a fair amount of that is loading time. The designers stupidly forgot to give you the option of quitting back to the main menu if you lose a character, so if you want to restore from a saved game, you have to reboot and whether it's warm or cold it takes about two minutes (a cold reboot is faster, since you skip several splash screens, but obviously puts more wear and tear on the console). I didn't have to deal with that too much when I beat Normal mode, but in Advanced mode I'm lucky to beat the spitting dinosaurs 10% of the time, so that's a lot of restarts. But hey, at least I got some work done while I waited.

Otherwise I tried out some new acquisitions, tested out some theories about VCS Porky's and NES cheesecake title Hot Slot (just a coincidence that they're both "blue" games, honest!), and reached the boss fight in the Moon stage of Rocky & Bullwinkle.

In non-tracker gameplay, my other half and I also beat Easy mode in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for GameCube, and got to the last area in Normal mode. However, there's an extra boss fight against Shredder that can only be unlocked if you complete the main game with all four turtles -- and 2P's selection doesn't count, as it's only an "assist". I was Donatello in the first playthrough, and Michelangelo in this one, so two left after this. The first fight against Shredder is tough, but fortunately, making it through the next-to-last area unlocks a special attack that I think should help.

• Like 3

I should classify the Tandy 1000 under "PC (DOS)", right? I'm not sure whether the PCjr. lineage should have its own category or not.

I remember looking at that computer in Radio Shack catalogs BITD; it always looked pretty tasty. BTW the Wikipedia page for the Tandy 1000 starts with a hilarious picture -- someone had some fun!

Funny, I'm actually using the model pictured: 1000EX. :) My SX and TX are still waiting on a keyboard to use, so I've upgraded the memory of the EX to 640k of the higher systems. ;)

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 13, running from March 24 - 30. We logged 2745 minutes of eligible play, playing 57 games on a total of 17 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 523

2. Jurassic Park Interactive (3DO) - 385

3. Funky Fish (Arcade) - 349

4. Centipede (Atari 2600) - 161

5. Virtua Racing (Sega Saturn) - 150

6. Dig Dug (Atari 2600) - 133

7. b*nQ (Atari 7800) - 123

8. Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (Game Boy) - 70

8. Blockbuster (PC (DOS)) - 70

10. Armor Attack 2 (Atari 7800) - 45

10. Aero Fighters 2 (Neo Geo CD) - 45

10. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES/Famicom) - 45

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 523

2. Funky Fish (Arcade) - 349

3. Centipede (Atari 2600) - 161

4. Dig Dug (Atari 2600) - 133

5. b*nQ (Atari 7800) - 123

6. Armor Attack 2 (Atari 7800) - 45

7. Funky Fish (Atari 2600) - 43

8. Chuck Norris Superkicks (Atari 2600) - 42

9. Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator (Atari 5200) - 40

10. Failsafe (Atari 7800) - 30

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (939)

2. 3DO (385)

3. Arcade (349)

4. Atari 7800 (268)

5. NES/Famicom (159)

6. Sega Saturn (150)

7. Game Boy (113)

8. PC (DOS) (100)

9. Atari 5200 (65)

10. MSX (45)

10. Neo Geo CD (45)

Every time the 3DO makes the Top 10, Trip Hawkins gets a little tear in his eye and imagines what might have been. But this week let Trip's weeping be not too bittersweet, as with the 3DO at #2, it's still bested by our favorite explosive entertainment.

Thus does Kaboom lead the Atari 2600 to the top spot across the board, and thus does it boldly continue into the uncharted spaces of >10^5 of gameplay. Und so ist es auch wieder heut'.

• Like 3

Atari 2600

Mission 3,000 A.D.: 2 min

Space Rocks: 25 min

C64

Australopithecus robustus: 5 min

Hägar der Schreckliche: 9 min

Game Boy Color

Dexter's Laboratory Robot Rampage: 10 min

Was able to squeeze in a tiny bit of HSC playtime, fiddled around a little with some platformers I found on the GB64 site and tested one Gameboy game I picked up for a buck at a flea market. Dexter's Lab is basically "Elevator Action". Nothing to write home about.

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (March 31st through April 6th)... (that habit of mine giving the dates reminds me of the fact that I actually learned how to abbreviate English numbers like this by looking at the rank display of the arcade game "Traverse USA")

Amiga 500:

Fairy Tale Adventure - 39 min.

Arcade:

Funky Fish - 417 min. in 6 sessions

Kangaroo - 91 min.

Emerson Arcadia:

Funky Fish - 11 min.

Online (non-eligible):

Mini Metro - 39 min.

My main game was, again, the arcade version of Funky Fish, but I'm somewhat stuck in that I never manage to complete Level 5. I briefly replayed the Emerson Arcadia version of the game, but it isn't too much fun compared to the original version.

Then I replayed Kangaroo which is based on the same hardware as Funky Fish. In both games, shading is done by alternating columns of different colors (each pixel only being able to be one of the 8 primary colors), but it's done in Kangaroo to a much greater extent than in Funky Fish.

Then I tried Fairy Tale Adventure which is said to have a very big number of screens, but I thought there must be a trick to it, and this is in fact true, as I found out. There's a map for it available online, and the map is actually divided into 107x112 tiles (this number may differ for the Amiga version, however), which are again divided in 8x16 subtiles each, which are again divided into 2x4 characters, which are 8x8 pixels in size each. ;-)

Finally, Mini Metro is a game about planning metro lines in an ever growing city in order to connect all points of interests so that people wanting to get to another point get apprioriate transportation.

• Like 4

Then I tried Fairy Tale Adventure which is said to have a very big number of screens, but I thought there must be a trick to it, and this is in fact true, as I found out. There's a map for it available online, and the map is actually divided into 107x112 tiles (this number may differ for the Amiga version, however), which are again divided in 8x16 subtiles each, which are again divided into 2x4 characters, which are 8x8 pixels in size each. ;-)

I really liked the Genesis version of Faery Tale Adventure. The game world is very empty, but that's exactly what I appreciated about it: instead of feeling like the whole world is set up to serve the protagonist and his interests, it almost feels like you're in a real wilderness that's mostly indifferent to your presence, occasionally punctuated by run-down castles and half-abandoned dungeons. In one of the underground areas, if you go left instead of right (or the equivalent), you'll come upon a huge cave complex...with nothing significant in it! You could easily skip the whole thing, or never know it existed, and yet it just is, nonetheless.

And it takes time to walk from place to place, through a landscape that's anything but linear -- the game came with a map, but there aren't a million and one markers telling you where to go, so it actually feels like walking in the wilderness. It can be overwhelming, and it's certainly flawed (combat is mostly a joke, for one), but I found FTA far more memorable than the cookie-cutter JRPGs that normally dominate the console library.

• Like 1

MY WEEK (March 31st - April 6th):

Atari 2600:

1. Dishaster - 203 minutes (I played all 4 variations)

2. Bugs Bunny - 1 minute

3. Road Runner - 1 minute

4. Spider-Man - 1 minute

5. Bachelor Party (adult game) - 1 minute

6. Beat 'Em and 'Eat Em (adult game) - 1 minute

7. Philly Flasher (adult game) - 1 minute

8. Laser Gates - 8 minutes

9. Space Rocks - 23 minutes

10. Fire Fly - 19 minutes

Check out the following videos:

1) Dishaster - Game 1 - 502,680 points

2) Laser Gates - 39,269 points

3) Space Rocks (homebrew by SpiceWare) - 38,440 points

4) Fire Fly - 9,999 points

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 1

My times for the week:

NES:
Marvel's X-Men - 111 min.
Racket Attack - 345 min.

3DO:
Jurassic Park Interactive - 290 min.
A fairly efficient week, in that I beat every game I've listed! Thoughts on all three here. Finishing off the last three matches in Racket Attack was especially satisfying; the final match against Bernard was tough indeed, and took several attempts before I found a winning strategy.
My other half and I also beat Normal mode in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for GameCube, and we've reached the next-to-last area in Hard mode, as Leonardo (who's surprisingly mediocre) with Donatello assisting. I'll need to play through once more as Raphael, probably in 1P mode, before we'll be able to unlock the extra battle with Shredder.
  • Like 3

Atari Jaguar:
Atari Karts - 55 min.
Raiden - 15 min.

Tempest 2000 - 75 min.

PC (MS-DOS):
Screamer - 10 min.

Sega Dreamcast:
Daytona USA - 45 min.

Sega Saturn:

Daytona USA - 40 min.

Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition - 45 min.

Xbox:
Outrun 2 - 30 min.

Edited by twoquickcapri
  • Like 3

Have I played Atari today? Hell yes, I did. Sitting in front of my brand new entertainment center in our living room. My girlfriend and I moved together into an appartment much larger than we had before, and I was finally able to install a decent setup. I'll attach some photos.

post-34656-0-79007600-1396891724_thumb.jpg

post-34656-0-68753100-1396891737_thumb.jpg

• Like 2