IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2014 (Season 7)

VIC-20-

K-Star Patrol- 20min

Donkey Kong- 10min

Dig Dug- 5min (testing)

TI99-

The Attack- 5min

Chisholm Trail- 5min

Moon Patrol- 15min

Pole Position- 25min

Donkey Kong- 10min

Poker&Blackjack- 30min

Parsec- 5min

Jawbreaker II- 5min

Jungle Hunt- 20min

Ms. Pacman- 25min

5200-

Blueprint- 35min

• Like 3

Atari 2600

Aufruhr im Zoo: 2 min

Bermuda: 3 min (hack, not clone, of River Raid)

Chopper Command: 5 min

Gefährliche Mäusejagd (aka Mole Hunter): 3 min

Ice Hockey: 6 min

Im Reich der Spinne (aka Spider Droid): 5 min

Skiing: 5 min

Winter Games: 10 min

A little bit of Olympic Winter Games for AtariAge, and a bit of testing. Expect more testing next week, since I just returned from a flea market, where I made some nice finds.

Arcade

Galaga: 8 min

Galaxian: 12 min

Ms. Pac Man: 5 min

Played on the Namco Museum compilation for GBA.

Game Boy Classic

Battleship: 45 min

Choplifter II: 15 min

Fortified Zone: 27 min

More Gameboy playtime to be expected in the future... In 6 weeks, my gf and I will move, which means a pretty long travel to and from work with bus and cable car.

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 2

BBC Micro:

Bounty Bob Strikes Back - 3 min.

Firetrack - 2 min.

Krakout - 1 min.

Zap! - 11 min.

MSX:

F-1 Spirit - 17 min.

Ink Exxon Surfing - 15 min.

SNES:

Cool Spot - 7 min.

Dr. Mario - 1 min.

Fever Pitch - 8 min.

Nigel Mansell's World Championship - 38 min.

Pit-Fighter - 5 min.

Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt - 10 min.

Spindizzy - 4 min.

Starwing - 17 min.

Striker - 3 min.

Super James Pond - 9 min.

Super Mario All-Stars, SMB 1 - 20 min.

Tetris - 1 min.

Yes... I recently bought a lot of SNES games. Some are more to my likings than others.

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (February 17th through 23rd)...

NES / Famicom:

Slalom - 5

Somari - 71 min. in 2 sessions

Online (non-eligible):

Fall Out Boy Trail - 42 min.

TI-99/4A:

Road Hunter - 230 min. in 8 sessions

I continued to play Road Hunter on the TI-99/4A which received at least 2 more updates this week, the last one containing a version that can be put on a cartridge. Since the last updates, the game is a bit easier since most of the time you don't bounce as long as before, and it seems like at least on the first levels you get more guns so that you can spend considerable time blasting away (at) the enemy cars.

Then I've played Fall Out Boy Trail, which is a variation on Oregon Trail (which I haven't ever played myself). It's kind of a strategy game where you tour across the USA and try to keep all four band members alive through the whole trip. It reminds me a bit of the arcade game "Journey Escape". There are minigames to play simlar to Rock Band, Asteroids and other games. I stumbled across this game, which was put out by the band Fall Out Boy, because they've produced a new game, Fall Out Bird, which is a take on Flappy Bird, but with a selectable band member head in place of the bird and guitar necks in place of the pipes. Oh, and the soundtrack has changed as well.

Then I tried Somari after learning that this is in fact a game made in Hong Kong, not a real homebrew as I thought it was. Somari is in essence Sonic the Hedgehog with Mario in place of Sonic. It's actually more comparable to the SMS/GG version of Sonic than to the Mega Drive one, although it has some game elements from the Mega Drive version which the SMS/GG Version doesn't have, such as the looping. The levels, however, are different from both versions, and pretty repetitive. There are some screens appearing twice side by side, or multiple times in one level, and some screens from Green Hill Zone Act 1 reappear in Act 2. In that respect, the repetition is similar to Tour de France on the C-64 which I played some weeks ago. There are also some subtle differences, like you don't get an extra life for 100 rings collected, and Mario spins at each jump, but isn't able to roll without a jump.

Finally, a short game of Slalom after I learned that this was in fact Rare's first NES game. This is in fact more similar to a racing game than to a skiing game. But it's an attempt at a 3D skiing game from back in 1987 which isn't bad at all.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 2

My week:

System Game Total

Atari 7800 Ballblazer 5

Atari 7800 Dig-Dug 10

Atari 7800 Galaga 35

Atari 7800 Jinks. 5

Atari 7800 Joust. 10

Atari 7800 Ms. Pac-Man. 20

Atari 7800 Pole Position II 30

Atari 7800 Robotron 2084 20

Atari 7800 Xevious 15

Atari 8 Bit BC's Quest for Tires 10

Atari 8 Bit Donkey Kong 10

Atari 8 Bit Gateway To Asphai 45

Atari 8 Bit Pitfall 10

Atari 8 Bit Pharoahs Curse 15

Atari 8 Bit River Raid 15

• Like 2

My times for the week:

NES:
Bubble Bobble -- 86 min.
Deadly Towers - 16 min.
Dragon Power - 15 min.
Racket Attack - 46 min.
Game Boy:
Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle - 20 min.
Fish Dude - 2 min.
Stargate - 3 min.
3DO:
Crime Patrol - 40 min.
Star Control II - 2 min.
Trip'd - 23 min.
Wolfenstein 3D - 24 min.
Jaguar:
Hover Strike - 308 min.
Sega Saturn:
Solar Eclipse - 2 min.
PlayStation:
Agile Warrior F-111X - 2 min.
Finished playing through Bubble Bobble with my fiancée. I beat it solo as a kid but I may have used a stage select password at some point (not sure), and beating it legit with two players is obviously more fun. Still, I used the old "hit select at the end" trick to resurrect her with one of my extra lives. Despite having no lives left when I faced the final boss, I beat him on my first try, earned an extra credit in the process, and brought her back to get the best ending.
I also resumed working on Hover Strike (on Easy), and cleared the 3rd and 4th levels. A few of the 4th level missions are a real hassle, with tons of impassable cliffs and confusing level design. Not too much left now, I hope; not sure how soon I'll want to try Normal on this one.
Otherwise I tried out a few new acquisitions, won another match in Racket Attack, futzed around with Dragon Power (which I beat legitimately in 2012) and Deadly Towers (which I've only beaten with savestates and a walkthrough), and played 3DO puzzle and lightgun games with my other half before starting Wolfenstein 3D on the easiest difficulty.
  • Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 8, running from February 17 - 23. We logged 3170 minutes of eligible play, playing 94 games on a total of 20 systems.

Top 10:

1. Final Fantasy VII (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 465

2. Hover Strike (Atari Jaguar) - 308

3. Winter Games (Atari 2600) - 231

4. Road Hunter (TI-99) - 230

5. Hard Drivin' (Atari Lynx) - 180

6. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 126

7. Bubble Bobble (NES/Famicom) - 86

8. Mario Kart 64 (N64) - 80

8. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES) - 80

10. Somari (NES/Famicom) - 71

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Winter Games (Atari 2600) - 231

2. Road Hunter (TI-99) - 230

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 126

4. Megamania (Atari 5200) - 60

5. Gateway to Apshai (Atari 8-bit) - 45

6. Caterpiggle (Atari 8-bit) - 40

7. Blueprint (Atari 5200) - 35

7. Galaga (Atari 7800) - 35

9. Pole Position II (Atari 7800) - 30

9. Poker & Blackjack (TI-99) - 30

Top 10 systems:

1. PC (Windows 95/98) (505)

2. Atari 2600 (394)

3. TI-99 (375)

4. Atari Jaguar (368)

5. SNES (263)

6. NES/Famicom (239)

7. Atari 8-bit (180)

7. Atari Lynx (180)

9. Atari 7800 (150)

10. Game Boy (112)

For the second week in a row, we've logged exactly 94 different games, and this week we've hit even higher numbers for system diversity and total minutes! The PC port of Final Fantasy VII takes the main charts by a solid margin, but the real drama is in the pre-NES charts, where Winter Games beats out Road Hunter by just one minute to take the top spot.

Speaking of high drama and small margins: Atarian7, you're now at exactly 99,975 minutes of Kaboom logged! I was expecting to make the big milestone announcement weeks ago, but you've certainly supplied some extra suspense. That said, unless you deliberately play for less than 25 minutes this week, I expect you'll roll over to 100k in Week 9. :)

• Like 4

"Speaking of high drama and small margins: Atarian7, you're now at exactly 99,975 minutes of Kaboom logged! I was expecting to make the big milestone announcement weeks ago, but you've certainly supplied some extra suspense. That said, unless you deliberately play for less than 25 minutes this week, I expect you'll roll over to 100k in Week 9. :) "

I don't think he can put down the paddles that long. ;)

• Like 3

Lynx:

Hard Drivin'. (1 hour) HSC winner!

Robotron 2084. (1 hour). Lynx HSC game for March. Please come and join us. Handy emulator works great. ROMs available on Atari Age. Or PM me if you need links. I think this is the best port of Robotron on any computer/system, albeit lacking in arcade-style controls.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222646-lynx-hsc-2014-round-3-robotron-2084/

C64:

Robotron 2084. (30 min) Okay, but sadly lacking in the audio department.

Temple of Apshai. (1 hour) So far I'm liking Sword of Fargoal better. I still need to really get into this game though.

Flappy Bird. (1 hour) Addictive. Plays well but no music. Would like to try Happy Flappy which has a soundtrack. High score so far = 7--correction I just scored 13!

Edited by BillyHW
  • Like 4

Atari 2600

Decathlon: 1 min

Die Springteufel (aka Infiltrator): 3 min

Keystone Kapers: 4 min

Mouse Trap: 2 min

Pele's Soccer: 2 min

Phantom-Panzer (aka Phantom Tank): 3 min

Phoenix: 7 min

Pressure Cooker: 2 min

Robin Hood (aka Save our Ship): 3 min

Quest for Quintana Roo: 3 min

Winterjagd (aka Ski Hunt): 2 min

Z-Tack (aka Base Attack): 3 min

As announced last week: I scored on a flea market and came round to testing my finds. Despite the fact that some of the carts look like they got pulled out of a sewer, all work perfectly and I was able to close a few holes in my collection, as well as picking up some doubles which I can sell to refinance the hobby. Atari carts are very rarely seen here in Germany in the wild, so you got to pick up what you can IF you happen to find some. It was a box of stuff a reseller brought along. I know the guy for some time now and he's really nice. Made me a bulk price (1,60 to 2 Euro apiece), which is really good for german standards. Not all resellers are assholes.

C64

Card Sharks: 220 min

Remembered this game last week and downloaded the ROM right away to relive my childhood. You play Poker against caricatures of Gorbatchev, Thatcher and Reagan, while they keep repeating a handful of stupid jokes. Good friendly cold war Texas Hold'em fun.

Game Boy Classic

Battleship: 30 min

Just killing some time during bus rides. The game really isn't big news...

Nintendo 64

Doom 64: 8 min

F-Zero X: 5 min

Waialae Country Club Golf: 3 min

Testing some pickups and a console. I'm not sure if I like the N64 version of Doom. Picked it up cib for cheap on a flea market and later saw that it commands some good money on ebay. I'll probably flip it, since I don't have room to have the N64 set up permanently anyway - and I can use the money to expand my 2600 collection :-).

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 3

Turbografx:

Galaga '90 - 20 min - fired up the Turbo Express for this one. Unfortunately the TE isn't making any sound. I'll need to look into getting it fixed.

Naxat Stadium - 22 minutes - Another in our collection of TG baseball games from Japan. The batters turn into angels and float away when they get out running the bases. Isn't the best graphically and nearly impossible to get an infield hit. We lost 3-0.

Rom Rom Baseball - 24 minutes - Unlike Naxat, there are lots of infield hits (at least for them). Every few innings there's a short break showing a girl watching baseball (presumably our game) on TV. Ironically we were losing this one 3-0 also but in the top of the 8th we got a couple of guys on with two out. My son got hit by a pitch to load the bases and I hit a grand slam. The girl that was watching TV went wild (yep, she must have been watching our game and cheering for us). We hung on to win 4-3 even though we were outhit 16-5.

• Like 3

Famicom:

Bump'n'Jump - 23 min.

Magic Jewelry - 20 min.

Onyanko Town - 7 min.

Tengen Tetris - 125 min.

SNES:

Nigel Mansell's World Championship - 11 min.

VIC-20:

Gladiator - 6 min.

Hero (typed in by Lee) - 6 min.

Speed-Ski - 8 min.

The Dark Dungeons - 5 min.

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (February 24th through March 2nd, 2014)...

Arcade:

Speak & Rescue - 15 min.

Atari 2600:

Flappy - 4 min.

Commodore 64:

Enduro Racer V1 - 6 min.

Online (non-eligible):

Caveman Simulator - 12 min.

PC (non-eligible):

Birdyworld - 542 min. in 10 sessions

Frolicking Furballs Safari Resort - 5 min.

TI-99:

Road Hunter - 106 min. in 3 sessions

At first, I continued to play Road Hunter. With the new version, I managed to cycle through all 3 tracks twice. Then I played a simulator of the handheld game Caveman by Tomy which I used to own. Then Enduro Racer V1 on the Commodore 64, which is a different version to the released one. Notable is that in this version, the lower screen border goes up and down according to the street wobbling. Then there was Speak & Rescue, the obvious "original" to the game "Bandits" by Sirius which I liked to play on the C-64. Actually, Speak & Rescue doesn't seem as polished as Bandits, although it does contain speech which, sadly, isn't understandable, at least in the version I played. Astro Blaster has got better speech, but it's a different game.

Finally, the bird games. Meanwhile, Flappy Bird has been ported to the Atari 2600 (as Flappy or Flappo Bird), the Sinclair ZX-81 (as Quack), the Vectrex (as Veccy Bird) and the Commodore 64. Myself, I considered a Videobrain port of it, but I'm afraid I don't have enough time to do it. However, I played one of the Atari 2600 ports, "Flappy", which is programmed in Batari Basic. Then I went to the homepage of the creator of the C-64 version and found out that he did quite a lot of other games, among them Frolicking Furballs Safari Resort, which is a 3D furball hunting game in the woods in only 10K, which for today's PC's is quite an achievement. However, that creator's games seem rather chaotic, but he took part in a competition called Assemblage, so I went to see which other games that competition brought forward, and that's how I stumbled upon Birdyworld.

Birdyworld, at first glance, looks like a NES game, but without sound. You play a bird in a non-scrolling Zelda-like environment where if you leave a screen, the playfield quickly scrolls to reveal the next screen. However, nearly all content is user-generated, that is, if you enter a screen which hasn't been done yet, you get to create and upload it, and it subsequently gets inserted into the game world for all subsequent players. In a similar way you can also populate the screens with enemies, populate shops and set dungeon entrances... until the world is full. Currently there are two finished worlds, and a third one still in the building stage. I played that game for 9 hours this week (!), and in the last hours, I tried to map out Dungeon 1 of World 1.

• Like 2

Vic-20-

Dig Dug- 15min (testing)

Road Race- 5min

Jupiter Lander- 5min

Poker- 5min

Pacman- 10min

Jungle Hunt- 15min

Bug Attack- 10min

5200-

Blueprint- 20min

Dreadnaught Factor III- 15min