IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2014 (Season 7)

Baseball Stars (NES) - 47 minutes

Two more games. We split by beating the first place team (American Dreams) 6-5 and then we lost to the last place team (Ninja Blacksox) by a score of 2-1. Still sitting at a solid 10-5 almost 1/3 of the way through the season. My 8 year old just loves this game.

• Like 3

My times for the week:

NES:

Alien Syndrome - 11 min.

Exodus - 104 min.

Genesis:

Columns - 8 min.

Rampart - 73 min.

Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan - 48 min.

Sega CD:

Iron Helix - 38 min.

Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan is a Chinese beat-'em-up, well-regarded amongst Genesis fans. We thought we were taking on the middle difficulty level (of three), but discovered that it was only Practice mode, which we'd played through back in 2012 and which ends after 4-5 levels. I tried to puzzle out the difficulty settings beforehand, but since I only know a handful of Chinese characters, it was a lost cause!

(Actually, I knew a few of the ones that were in there, but you try figuring out whether Normal corresponds to "small + something I don't know" or "female child + something I don't know." But oddly enough, the characters for "female child" apparently mean "good" in Chinese, so there you go.)

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 4, running from January 20 - 26. We logged 2126 minutes of eligible play, playing 37 games on a total of 14 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 417

2. Final Fantasy VII (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 390

3. Baseball Stars (NES/Famicom) - 313

4. Exodus (NES/Famicom) - 104

5. Worms 2 (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 84

6. Rampart (Genesis) - 73

7. Tour de France (C64) - 62

8. Gridder (VIC-20) - 57

9. Flipull (Tandy MC-10) - 50

10. Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan (Genesis) - 48

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 417

2. Tour de France (C64) - 62

3. Gridder (VIC-20) - 57

4. Flipull (Tandy MC-10) - 50

5. Astro Blaster (Atari 7800) - 45

5. K.C. Munchkin (Odyssey^2) - 45

7. Tetris (Tandy MC-10) - 33

8. Failsafe (Atari 7800) - 30

8. Scramble (Atari 7800) - 30

10. Road Hunter (TI-99) - 26

Top 10 systems:

1. PC (Windows 95/98) (474)

2. Atari 2600 (463)

3. NES/Famicom (446)

4. Genesis (171)

5. Atari 7800 (150)

6. C64 (109)

7. Tandy MC-10 (85)

8. VIC-20 (73)

9. Intellivision (45)

9. Odyssey^2 (45)

Unlike Stanislas Wawrinka's recent victory at the Australian Open, you probably won't get a big payoff if you bet that Kaboom would take the #1 spot on both individual charts this week. But in a very tight three-way race for the top of the system charts, the Windows 95/98 platform edges the VCS out, thanks to a plateful of fantasies with a side of vermicelli.

Meanwhile, the MC-10 breaks into the top 10: a real triumph for the little computer that time (and Tandy) forgot.

• Like 4

Pardon, but you seem to have misplaced my 33 minutes of Tetris, also on the MC-10.

And you know, I think I even double-checked that. Or maybe I only double-checked the VIC-20? Regardless, I believe the exact moment that I was interrupted while inputting the stats was when I was putting in your times...and the poor MC-10 paid the price. :( Yet another indignity, yet another neglect -- will it ever end?

• Like 4

Baseball Stars (NES)- 28 minutes

Unfortunately the NES has 'lost' our team. It doesn't show up any longer in any of the menus other than the current season. We have a big delimna. We can finish this season but we're unable to upgrade any of our players or use this team in any subsequent seasons. Since our ultimate goal was to build a superior league of teams (and then beat them) it's a waste of time playing with this team. On the other hand, this team's current skill level makes it a good challenge for this season. Decisions, decisions.

In the meantime we've played some other games.

Beamrider (Atari 2600) - 32 minutes; still a great game. Had a fair game going but lost a ton of ships in Sector 18 and eventually died in Sector 22. I'm very rusty.

Muncher (Atari 2600) - 12 minutes; I have a goal to play, or at least try, more homebrews this year. Muncher is a simple concept but fun. Reminds me a little of Qix although it's not all that much like it.

Voodoo Castle (Vic 20) - 30 minutes; my 8 year old really loves this game. I wasn't sure what he would think about a text adventure but he's all in. I only wanted to show it to him but it looks like we're going to play this one out.

Dungeons and Dragons (Mattel Electronics hand held) - 35 minutes; we replaced the batteries, found some paper and a pencil and were ready to go. Simple game involving you, a grappling hook, some pits, an arrow, a bat, and a dragon. Find the arrow, find the dragon, don't fall in a pit, and kill the dragon. Again, he loved it. We played once with me showing him and then he beat it (Level 1) on his own. I don't know how level 2 or 3 is different but I'll bet that we find out soon.

• Like 3

Frogger '07 is a homebrew by Glen "Victragic" Richards. It is present on the Mega-Cart, but could be loaded with any 16K memory expansion. I'm unsure how it looks on a NTSC machine, part of the screen might not be visible. It is much better than both Sega's own Frogger port for the VIC-20, and frankly all other clones from back then. I'm not sure what to compare it with - if not the arcade game, at least it gives the Intellivision (and perhaps also ColecoVision) version a run for the money.

We broke out our MegaCart last night and found Frogger '07. You are right, it's very good...

Frogger '07 (Vic 20) 10 minutes

Donkey Kong (Vic 20) 8 minutes

Muncher (2600) 5 minutes

Bowling (2600) 35 minutes

• Like 3

Atari 8-bit:
M.U.L.E. - 65 min.
Mogul Maniac - 16 min.
Yoomp! - 27 min.

I made it to level 9 on Yoomp!, named Fear Play.

Famicom:
F1 Race - 5 min.
Flipull - 4 min.
Xevious - 23 min.

All played at 1 AM, laying in bed with the console in my lap, using long A/V cables.

VIC-20:
Harvester - 19 min.

This was one of the very first computer games I ever played. I never thought it was much fun 30 years ago, and I agree today. However it inspired me for a "remake" with changed and improved rules that may perhaps become fun to play, at least if computer AI could be added to this rather simple board game.

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (January 27th through February 2nd)...

Commodore 64:

Tour de France - 30 min.

TI-99:

Road Hunter - 179 min. in 3 sessions

I played the same two games as last week. I completed the map of the first stage (ètape) of Tour de France and then analyzed it. The complete way of scrolling is still a mystery to me, but it seems that most track sections repeat about four times throughout the stage.

Road Hunter received an update and now has two different tracks. Two more are planned. My goal was to complete the two tracks twice, but I didn't quite manage to do that.

• Like 3

My times for the week:

Genesis:
Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan - 218 min.

SNES:
Art of Fighting - 2 min.

Atari Jaguar:
Hover Strike - 160 min.

Beat 水滸風雲傳 with my fiancée on the Brave Man (medium) and Hero (hard) difficulty levels. Thoughts on that game, and on Traysia and Heart of the Alien from previous weeks, here.

Otherwise, with aspirations of beating my first Jaguar game ever, I started playing through Hover Strike on Easy. My first foray into the game was aborted by an apparent voltage spike (the furnace came on at the same time) which crashed the system, but eventually I made it to the second set of missions, and finished all but one of them. It's not without its charm, but when going over a hill does you more damage than getting hit by a missile, something's not right in the gameplay.

EDIT: Let me add one that's actually from last week and I forgot to put into my times:

Handheld/Tabletop:

Tandy-12 Computerized Arcade - 15 min.

My fiancée picked this up a couple weeks back and we played around with it a bit. Pretty colors!

• Like 3

Here's the summary for Week 5, running from January 27 - February 2. We logged 1847 minutes of eligible play, playing 38 games on a total of 16 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 464
2. Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan (Genesis) - 218
3. Road Hunter (TI-99) - 179
4. Hover Strike (Atari Jaguar) - 160
5. M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-bit) - 65
6. Super Circus (Atari 7800) - 60
7. Galaga '90 (TG-16/PC Engine) - 57
8. Armor Attack 2 (Atari 7800) - 40
9. Bowling (Atari 2600) - 35
9. Dungeons and Dragons (Mattel) (Handheld/Tabletop) - 35

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 464
2. Road Hunter (TI-99) - 179
3. M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-bit) - 65
4. Super Circus (Atari 7800) - 60
5. Armor Attack 2 (Atari 7800) - 40
6. Bowling (Atari 2600) - 35
6. Dungeons and Dragons (Mattel) (Handheld/Tabletop) - 35
8. Beamrider (Atari 2600) - 32
9. Crazy Brix (Atari 7800) - 30
9. Tour de France (C64) - 30
9. Mecha-8 (ColecoVision) - 30
9. Voodoo Castle (VIC-20) - 30

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (556)
2. Genesis (218)
3. TI-99 (179)
4. Atari 7800 (160)
4. Atari Jaguar (160)
6. NES/Famicom (110)
7. Atari 8-bit (108)
8. ColecoVision (90)
9. VIC-20 (67)
10. TG-16/PC Engine (57)

是的,这是毫不奇怪,KABOOM赢得更多的时间。不久Atarian7,KABOOM伟大的圣人,将获得万物的一致好评天下的旗帜。就像是一个巨大的碗玉,他的手已经抓住了百莲花瓣,一千倍。(或者是一千花瓣一百倍?六一,另一半打,我猜。)

• Like 4