I bought a sio2sd from Lotharek. I made a print of our

conversation in this thread. Now I start over again, doing

all you told me step by step.

Let's see....

Stefan

Hi!

cool!

If you need help: ask!

And my offer to investigate your Atari is still there. So if nothing works, ship the whole stuff to me, and I'll check it out, and send it back (working I hope!)

How did it end?

I can see you had to resort to a SIO device in the end, sorry for the extra expense.

Be as it may, did you manage to achieve your goal to flash U1MB to your convenience?

On a side note, how do you like SIO2SD?

I kind of liked the idea at the time but I heard that it is slower than CF solutions and all that button pressing not so convenient, that is why I ended up with SIDE2 renouncing to compatibility with a few games that have custom SIO routines but saving some money with respect to SIO2SD cased (which looks really nice though).

How did it end?

Huh, err, its still in progress... I had to stop spending my time because of something called life ;)

I can see you had to resort to a SIO device in the end, sorry for the extra expense.

Don't worry about it. It was on my wishlist anyway. But it tooked time to have "money left" for it.

It is much more comfortable to make all the test - instead of using a real disk drive.

did you manage to achieve your goal to flash U1MB to your convenience?

Iḿ not sure. Because the two pices of hardware still does not work together in harmony.

That is, why I want to figure out is there a problem with the Ultimate, or the MyIdeII, or both,

or is it just me :roll: ...

I unplugged the MyIDEii to test the ultimate as a stand allone device.

All the Mem test programms I found crawling the web telling me the

expanded memory is o.K.

Then I thought, If I had a demo or animation to test it?!

Here are the results, using Stock in Ultimate, and the correspondig Mem config.

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=2.+Grafika&tg=TIP+Animator+anims+for+extended+memory#TIP_Animator_anims_for_extended_memory

willy_fog_1088K.xex works fine

sindbad320k.atr works fine

pitfall_576k.xex works fine

Demo NUMEN.atr (dont ask me, where I got it from... I uploaded it here:

works for nearly 2 minutes - than chrashes. Video of that moment ist here:

(1088K Men choosed) sometimes it chrashes a couple of seconds later.

or even 2 minutes later.

Can someboby confirm this problem, or is it a problem with my hardware?

Another program, that denied running in the past is working now.

LastWord3.x. If I set Ultimate SpartaDosX on, loading the (sparta) disk image, it runs.

(It does not work in MyIDE environment so far, if I copy it into a folder on the MyDos partition...)

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I already flashed the second Slot of the Ultimate with MyDos again. Everything in the Menu is "green".

So far so good.

I made a print of all the suggestions / step by step advises Prowizard gave me.

I will start again now, answering all his questions, and post the results / videos / pictures

within this weekend.

So please be patient... :-D

Gretings

Stefan

Dear Prowizard,

I definitely killed the Bios of the Ultimate, while trying

to flash MyBios again. (I had still problems between

Ultimate and MyIDE-II - so I Thought it´s a good idea...)

No chance to do another flash from a SIO device.

May I ask you to give your offer a try?

Do you have the equippment to flash the ultimate with a

"programmer" ? The ROM is available on Lothareks site.

In case of "yes" - I already made a packet ready - able to send

- äh - what do you need?

Greetings stefan

Yes I can do all those things. I hope you are not in a hurry, since I'm rather busy the next weeks.

Feel free to send it all to me, and I'll investigate all issues, but there are chances I can not send it back before september, which is a long time from now.

Huh, err, its still in progress... I had to stop spending my time because of something called life ;)

Don't worry about it. It was on my wishlist anyway. But it tooked time to have "money left" for it.

It is much more comfortable to make all the test - instead of using a real disk drive.

Iḿ not sure. Because the two pices of hardware still does not work together in harmony.

That is, why I want to figure out is there a problem with the Ultimate, or the MyIdeII, or both,

or is it just me :roll: ...

I unplugged the MyIDEii to test the ultimate as a stand allone device.

All the Mem test programms I found crawling the web telling me the

expanded memory is o.K.

Then I thought, If I had a demo or animation to test it?!

Here are the results, using Stock in Ultimate, and the correspondig Mem config.

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=2.+Grafika&tg=TIP+Animator+anims+for+extended+memory#TIP_Animator_anims_for_extended_memory

willy_fog_1088K.xex works fine

sindbad320k.atr works fine

pitfall_576k.xex works fine

Demo NUMEN.atr (dont ask me, where I got it from... I uploaded it here:

works for nearly 2 minutes - than chrashes. Video of that moment ist here:

(1088K Men choosed) sometimes it chrashes a couple of seconds later.

or even 2 minutes later.

Can someboby confirm this problem, or is it a problem with my hardware?

Another program, that denied running in the past is working now.

LastWord3.x. If I set Ultimate SpartaDosX on, loading the (sparta) disk image, it runs.

(It does not work in MyIDE environment so far, if I copy it into a folder on the MyDos partition...)

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I already flashed the second Slot of the Ultimate with MyDos again. Everything in the Menu is "green".

So far so good.

I made a print of all the suggestions / step by step advises Prowizard gave me.

I will start again now, answering all his questions, and post the results / videos / pictures

within this weekend.

So please be patient... :-D

Gretings

Stefan

You should not flash MYDOS in the second slot, but MYBIOS ... I hope you made a typo.

If you select another OS in Ultimate... are you still not able to reboot your atari?

You should not flash MYDOS in the second slot, but MYBIOS ... I hope you made a typo.

Yes - wrong... Of course I flashed MyBios. And something went wrong while flashing.

I´m still able to boot from SIO devices, but when I press [Help] the whole Ultimate screen is

trash. If I use UFLASH.XEX, realy ALL Slots are filled with small triangles.

I will make pictures this evening and post it.

So.. here are the results of the german votes uh, I mean

I got after flashing the Ultimate with the last atr you made.

(MyBios with the new UFlash version)

While flashing, Uflash was frozen.

post-38469-0-02689400-1403541826_thumb.jpgpost-38469-0-70348500-1403541834_thumb.jpg

I can get a suitable JTAG-> USB device.

Would it help?

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both

I made a few tests. I can change the ammount of memory, by acting "blind" on the ultimate screen.

When switching the atari on, sdx is running.

I tried to flash slot 2 again. UFlash freezes.

I tested both versions with the same result.

I also tested to flash the whole rom (That 512k File from Lothareks site)

It also freezes.

Something is very strange. Is it possible, that something is totaly wrong

with the sio on the Atari computer? Maybe it is "swallowing" some bits?

I ask, because as soon as I try to copy/flash whatever from floppy or

Sio2SD, it doesn´t work correctly.

Stefan

If sio works you could reflash your Ultimate 1MB with a stock config ATR.

I'm sure someone can provide you this ATR. In the meantime: do not any further experiments please.

Can you still enable SDX in Ultimate 1MB? SDX is needed to reflash the Ultimate 1MB with the atari.

Well, well....

after waiting half an hour, Iḿ pretty sure, it went wrong.

You may have a look at the appended picture.

When flashing came to Bank 4 - the progress stopped.z

The computer was frozen. Keyboard and function keys

no response.

Switching it off/on, results in a yellow or pink screen.

I guess now it's time to get a JTag programmer?

Greez

Stefan

post-38469-0-52152200-1403718291_thumb.jpg

Well, well....

after waiting half an hour, Iḿ pretty sure, it went wrong.

I've dealt with an awful lot of Ultimate equipped machines and this simply looks to me like an unstable Atari. Who installed the Ultimate 1MB?

EDIT: I see that Lotharek pre-installed it. You may send it to me for repair if you like... this is likely what Lotharek would suggest anyway. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

ProWizard, on 26 Jun 2014 - 07:50 AM, said:

Do you have a hammer too? [:D]

:evil: I was about to ask the same :D

I've send you the whole equippent (but the monitor of course ;) )

A hammer was to heavy to put it into the packet.

If you need a window, so you can throw the xl out of it, give me a note.

Iḿ sorry but I can't send you our towel to throw in - I allready did that

yesterday by my own. roll.gif

Thank you for helping me !

As one who also "threw in the towel" on installing an updated-cpld V1 version in an 800XL, I think it would be interesting to find out how many people had similar issues with this. I still may try to install it in another machine, but thinking about this in retrospect, a 4-in-1 OS by Dropcheck and a plug-in ram module like the Ram320 XL (or the possible 320/512K XE model) now seems a lot more appealing to me. (A drawback is that the user must have access to an eprom burner for the OS module.)

Now, what would be really good is a flashable 4-in-1, hopefully with just a few connecting points inside the machine -- no big ribbon cables, big daughter board, etc. The model for this is the Internal MyIDE, but it only has one flashable OS and one "failsafe." An updated version was at one time considered, but now is very unlikely to happen. To the rescue may come Bob's XL14 accelerator which may have loadable OS slots. As Bob has mentioned, a drop-in upgrade (assuming you have a socketed XL). Nice!

-Larry

Do you have a hammer too? :D

:evil: I was about to ask the same :D

I've send you the whole equippent (but the monitor of course ;) )

A hammer was to heavy to put it into the packet.

If you need a window, so you can throw the xl out of it, give me a note.

Iḿ sorry but I can't send you our towel to throw in - I allready did that

yesterday by my own. roll.gif

Thank you for helping me !

I have a hammer, towel, something to throw the towel in, and a window out of which to throw the computer. There's a lot of really advanced troubleshooting equipment here. :)

As one who also "threw in the towel" on installing an updated-cpld V1 version in an 800XL, I think it would be interesting to find out how many people had similar issues with this.

Let me be absolutely clear: the issues with Ultimate 1MB installations which I've been asked to look at over the past few years have always been caused by one of the following:

• Poor or marginal Phi2, R/W, Halt and Reset hook-up points, often deviating from Candle's original installation guidelines. Fix: install the wires properly.
  • PLCCs "mixed and matched", resulting in unpredictable behaviour. Fix: use an Amic or SST PLCC.
  • External issues: dry solder joints on other upgrade boards (Stereo Pokey, for example), making diagnosis maddeningly difficult. Fix: repair the other board.
  • Improperly fitted, loose, or otherwise marginal ribbon cable connections. Fix: replace ribbon cables and Harting connectors (assuming they are not soldered directly to the motherboard, which I have witnessed recently with absolute dismay).

In every case where there were problems, the Ultimate boards themselves were fully functional: installation or external issues were to blame. A neat, elegant concept like Ultimate can easily be spoiled in its execution. ;)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2