IGNORED

Atari 7800XM - 3.5 years later - Where is it?

Lendorien

I would never do it, but I am so tempted to go visit Curt and hand him some cash for an XM... since I live about a half hour from him. :( But I get that those who funded the project up front should get these first. I just hope nothing gets in the way of a second batch being made. I absolutely have to have one of these. :)

• Like 1

I would never do it, but I am so tempted to go visit Curt and hand him some cash for an XM... since I live about a half hour from him. :( But I get that those who funded the project up front should get these first. I just hope nothing gets in the way of a second batch being made. I absolutely have to have one of these. :)

Do you know if the BIOS issues have been resolved? I don't think it's as easy as just visiting Curt to get one of these. If they were ready to go, I'm certain he would have shipped them. Maybe I read too much into his post but he said he was "hoping" to ship them on the 7800 anniversary. That's certainly not a guarantee, especially if he's still working out some kinks.

Do you know if the BIOS issues have been resolved? I don't think it's as easy as just visiting Curt to get one of these. If they were ready to go, I'm certain he would have shipped them. Maybe I read too much into his post but he said he was "hoping" to ship them on the 7800 anniversary. That's certainly not a guarantee, especially if he's still working out some kinks.

No, I'm talking about when the XM's are totally 100% ready to go. Once all the people that have been waiting for years and invested into the development get theirs, I fear that the same situation as the CC2 will happen. Some people make a few batches and call it quits... then the item becomes so rare and hard to get, it's not even worth the effort. I'm hoping this doesn't happen and the XM is available in abundance. But yeah... assuming I'm lucky enough to secure one, all I have to do is meet up with Curt and get it. :)

No, I'm talking about when the XM's are totally 100% ready to go. Once all the people that have been waiting for years and invested into the development get theirs, I fear that the same situation as the CC2 will happen. Some people make a few batches and call it quits... then the item becomes so rare and hard to get, it's not even worth the effort. I'm hoping this doesn't happen and the XM is available in abundance. But yeah... assuming I'm lucky enough to secure one, all I have to do is meet up with Curt and get it. :)

I know what you mean. Curt threatened to throw everything in a woodchipper at one point in time. After everything that's gone on, I'd be surprised if a second batch gets produced.

• Like 1

Here's a thought:

Over on Lotharek's site is a project to recreate an Atari ST or Amiga in a box. The project is named Mist:

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96

Could this also be used to house the hardware for the 7800+XM? Along with the necessary connections for the XE keyboard, SIO port for 1050 floppies, etc? It might be another means of getting the XM hardware out there too.

Maybe I read too much into his post but he said he was "hoping" to ship them on the 7800 anniversary. That's certainly not a guarantee, especially if he's still working out some kinks.

Maybe you are. He actually said he was "hoping to keep things under the radar".

• 1 month later...

:roll: to this whole thread!

It stayed pretty civil, and there is no harm in asking a question. As one of the 1st to order (and pay) I was also curious, and would not appreciate getting dumped on for asking a question in a polite manner.

• Like 3

What does this even mean? "Soon enough" ??? I seriously doubt it. Did you mean, "we will know eventually"?

Announcement of the system's release was in May 1984 with June 1984 seeing the start of the original release of the Atari 7800. According to Curt, he was "hoping to keep things under the radar and just ship [the XM modules] out on the 7800 anniversary". So, "soon enough" we will know whether the shipment of the XM's occurs, or what was stated here, that the shipment of the XM's for the 30th Anniversary is "not a guarantee".

Nonetheless, the community as a whole has been extremely patient and understanding and it's extremely clear Curt needs to deliver them. I'm sure he's just as anxious to ship those XM units as much as we are to receive them. Curt's provided no uncertain terms on when they would ship now, and from my experience has been a man of his word. Surely he knows and understands the weight of his word and such a statement at this very delicate juncture.

Even with ample time and consideration towards his statement, during the summer of this year, at the latest, would mean Curt has kept his word within reason.

Announcement of the system's release was in May 1984 with June 1984 seeing the start of the original release of the Atari 7800. According to Curt, he was "hoping to keep things under the radar and just ship [the XM modules] out on the 7800 anniversary". So, "soon enough" we will know whether the shipment of the XM's occurs, or what was stated here, that the shipment of the XM's for the 30th Anniversary is "not a guarantee".

Nonetheless, the community as a whole has been extremely patient and understanding and it's extremely clear Curt needs to deliver them. I'm sure he's just as anxious to ship those XM units as much as we are to receive them. Curt's provided no uncertain terms on when they would ship now, and from my experience has been a man of his word. Surely he knows and understands the weight of his word and such a statement at this very delicate juncture.

Even with ample time and consideration towards his statement, during the summer of this year, at the latest, would mean Curt has kept his word within reason.

No doubt... Thanks for the clarification. ;)

I still don't see Curt's statement as providing "no uncertain terms". The BIOS wasn't ready and the programmer had left the project when this was written. He was hoping to get these out in time for the anniversary. He wasn't sitting on a pile of finished XMs just waiting for the right moment that was still a couple of months away. He would have sent them if they were ready.

I also don't see this as a very delicate juncture. Opinions were formed regarding Curt a long time ago. Most of his supporters will continue to support him even if he misses this "deadline".

I think you guys all need to chill, in regards to the XM. I am already partially regretting putting this much money into 7800 hardware development, without asking for stupid Kickstarter crap or pre-orders, he was smarter than that. Does anybody actually think that he is not going to deliver? What, the finished cases and silver decals (look into what that would cost you), they are all rendered? What if I had come up with the MCP devkit a few years ago, collected your money, then got sick, have my partner shit in my backyard and you'd still be waiting? Not to mention the public stoning Curt took from people who didn't even frigging order one in the first place? Sort of like the crap Yurkie pulled on opcode.

Give me a break, I wish I had the funds for custom enclosures for my devcart interface. To give you an idea, the case for the prototype encased version, that Rev posted a picture of, it costs $7.00 and requires Dremel work and drilling. Is that worth it to the customer at that price? Not in my opinion.

I have not offered my opinion on this before, this will be the only time I do.

EDIT: I'd love to buy one, from someone who has a slot.

Jessie Pinkman: Flame away, bitch!

• Like 8

Give me a break, I wish I had the funds for custom enclosures for my devcart interface. To give you an idea, the case for the prototype encased version, that Rev posted a picture of, it costs $7.00 and requires Dremel work and drilling. Is that worth it to the customer at that price? Not in my opinion.

This has nothing to do with your main point (which is spot on). I would pay for that extra bit of dremel work. That way I get to appreciate your handiwork without accidentally ESD discharging on it like a Sith lord. :)

• Like 1

The hyper sensitivity on this whole thing is just amazing to observe.

People should be able to ask simple questions and get straight answers without being attacked or insulted. Just as people who buy software and hardware should appreciate those who create it, those creating it should be appreciative and of those who have an interest in buying it.

Not being forthcoming and straight with answers creates misunderstanding, confusion and leaves things open to speculation. That's not good for anyone.

I've been vaguely aware of this whole thing, off and on, for the years over which it's been around. There have been spans of time where I've frankly forgotten about it.

Would I be interested in buying one? Maybe. Depends on the price and how useful I'd think it would be for me - software is needed to go with the hardware. But it doesn't seem like buying one will be possible - an "under the radar" release to early supporters only doesn't make it sound like it will be available to even consider buying. I'm just glad the AA store doesn't operate this way.

I fully expect someone to now attack and insult me for what I've just said. None of what I've said is meant or intended to be an attack or insult against anyone, and not on any individual. If anyone sees it that way, that's your interpretation.

These kind of things shouldn't spiral out of control like this. Communication would go a long way to preventing that.

• Like 6

My guess is that people can get passive-aggressive. Peeps wanting status updates don't ask. The makers only give status updates when concrete statements can be made. This leads to a build up where patience runs out and comments get nasty. The maker feels even less like updating his project and the cycle continues. This is just a guess mind you. If true there must be a middle ground.

• Like 1

I supported this project from day one with my money. I am sure it will be done some day. A long time has passed. For some that are not used to these type of projects, that can be hard to understand. Communication could have been handled whole lot better which is alot of the issue. I wish nothing but the best for all who were involved with this project. I will continue to support it, and will purchase games that will be made for this project.

• Like 5