IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

Here's a nice article from Supagemy regarding Neo Turf Masters

https://www.supagemu.com/reviews/neo-turf-masters

wbjoggg7j7k5s5pws9js.jpg

Nazca Corporation, a now extinct studio composed of former Irem staff members, is famous for having developed the legendary Metal Slug, but the company’s first independent release was Neo Turf Masters (Big Tournament Golf in Japan) in early 1996.

qu3ajmdzcnnjzqvwyqgi.jpg
AuthorGustavPublished 21 January 2017

Tasteful people will enjoy Neo Turf Masters' very unique, relaxed, yet elegant atmosphere

Nazca Corporation, a now extinct studio composed of former Irem staff members, is famous for having developed the legendary Metal Slug, but the company’s first independent release was Neo Turf Masters (Big Tournament Golf in Japan) in early 1996. For Nazca to start with a golfing game might seem surprising at first, but if you take a closer look at Irem’s works, you will notice that at least four Nazca members (Kinte, Zen, Hirokun, and Ken-Kui) worked on Major Title 2, a golf simulation released in the arcade in 1992 by Irem. Kinte also worked on the first Major Title game. So Nazca already had experience with golf games before tackling the Neo Turf Masters project.

fcloza3q7aw5q3nvvwuk.jpg

Smoothness and directness

That experience partly explained how Nazca was able to build up one of the best golfing game ever, if not the best. If you compare it with Minna no Golf (Hot Shots Golf in the US), which was one of the best golfing game from that era (1997), some of the differences that will first strike you are the pace and the simplicity of Neo Turf Masters. The latter is much faster and smoother than most other golfing games. Furthermore, there are a lot less options in Big Tournament Golf than in Minna no Golf and other domestic golf simulations. This pace and directness make it more exciting and perfectly suit an arcade game, whose goal is to quickly suck up your quarters. The controls are also easier to handle than Minna no Golf’s ones, making Neo Turf Masters a game that provides immediate gaming pleasure and that you can enjoy playing with your friends even if they have never tried it before. By contrast, Minna no Golf puts players who never experienced it at massive disadvantage versus seasoned players, because its timing and controls are harder to get.

A very unique, relaxed, yet elegant atmosphere

Another characteristic of Big Tournament Golf is its liveliness. The colorful graphics and characters make it a lot less stern than most other golfing games, one notable exception being the Mario Golf series. But while the Mario Golf series probably goes too far in the silliness (some characters simply look ridiculous, and all of them can scream to distract their opponents as in Minna no Golf), Nazca’s baby remains classy. The first impression left by Neo Turf Masters is one of a distinctive delectable taste. Tasteful people will enjoy its very unique, relaxed, yet elegant atmosphere. Simply listening the exquisite jazzy-fusion soundtrack and watching the game run induce esthetic pleasure. Indeed, all the themes sound fabulous (music is played during the play of a hole), and the stylish visuals aged extremely well (as always, 2D graphics age much more gracefully than 3D ones). They are very clear and include some breathtaking scenes such as the Grand Canyon or waterfalls.

d5io0wvtoaqljd0tpdwz.jpg

Straightforward, but deep enough and challenging

Fortunately, the gameplay is on par with the audio-visual aspects. It actually might even surpass them. What proves it is that the excellent Neo Geo Pocket version, which is stripped of the audio-visual greatness, is as addictive as the arcade one! The secret lies in the simplicity of the controls, which yet succeed in providing enough depth. You simply have to aim, press A to adjust the power, and then tap A again to set the height of your shot. That’s it! The shot execution is fast and painless (there is no latency to deal with), giving you the incentive to see how the next shot goes.

However, don’t draw the hasty conclusion that Neo Turf Masters is an over simplified golfing game. First, you can add a slice or a hook effect to curve the ball. Those effects can prove useful to avoid trees for example. Secondly, there is also the less known option of adding a retro or a top spin effect. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing the ball rolling back into the hole! Finally, some pretty challenging holes require extreme accuracy, making the game hard to beat in normal mode. As a side note, the difficulty settings does not seem to have a significant impact on the courses but rather on the level of your opponents. A -2 score will probably be enough to rank first on easy mode, but you will need to perform even better to win on harder difficulties.

rwc3laco4oq6dcauqvw4.jpg

Great for both the arcade and domestic use

Neo Turf Master’s depth will probably satisfy most arcade players, but might leave some golf experts wanting for more. Obviously, it does not have the depth and options of the most elaborate simulations, but it is not THAT left behind in terms of length, characters, and parameters compared to console golfing games of its time. There are four courses to choose from: U.S.A, Germany, Japan, and Australia (note: the first course to be displayed on the select screen depends on the hardware version: for example, the Japan course will appear first on a Japanese Neo Geo console), while Minna Golf and Mario Golf 64 include 6 courses for example. It is interesting to note that even a “serious” golfing simulation like PGA tour Pro (PC, 1997) only provides two courses (plus one as a bonus)! Besides, doing the same courses over and over never gets too repetitive: Neo Turf Masters generates a different green (distance, hole’s position and relief) every time. Distance varies from 2 to 5 per cent. Consequently, learning the holes by heart is not possible. Parameters such as wind and grain (on the green) must of course carefully be taken into account before shooting. As a side note, weather effects are limited to the wind ones (there is no rain in this game).

There are six golfers to choose from:

• Georges Spinner (the « Young Hero »), USA: an all-rounder who will be a perfect choice for beginners
  • Thomas Stewart (the “Technician”), UK: very good accuracy and recovery ability, excellent skill, rather poor driving
  • Frank Adams (the “Veteran”), Australia: great recovery skills and technic, poor for everything else
  • Robert Landolt (the « Shot Maker »), Germany: definitely one of the best player: very good driving, excellent accuracy, and great putting, the only downside being his inability to easily recover from mistakes (shots in a bunker, rough, or water hazard)
  • Fernand Almeida (the “Power Golfer”), Brazil: excellent driving, poor skills for everything else. Definitely not a good choice for beginners, but some expert might find his raw power interesting.
  • Toyoshige Takeno (the “Putt Master”), Japan: awesome putting, decent driving, poor recovery ability. He is kind of similar to Robert Landolt, but has less power. On the other hand, he has got better putting and technic (resulting in better effects).

By contrast, Minna no Golf features 10 characters, while PGA Tour Pro and Mario Golf 64 both offer 14 characters (+ 4 who can be imported from the Game Boy Color of Mario Golf version using the transfer pack). So Neo Turf Masters falls short on characters, but does that really prove important? Seriously, who is going to master all 14 characters of Mario Golf 64? Six is already plenty, especially if you plan to win courses with each one of them.

The kind of option that is actually missing from Neo Turf Masters is for example the possibility to freely browse around the courses to precisely locate pitfalls and to measure distances. You will have to memorize the map and the distances that are briefly displayed before each hole. Some may argue that it makes the game even more interesting since it forces you to judge distances by yourself, but I think it only adds some randomness. This shortcoming was fixed in the Neo Geo Pocket version, in which a graduated map is always displayed, enabling you to exactly know where your shot will end up. Furthermore, bonuses, experience points, camera change, mini-golf, trophy room, and unlockable clubs, characters, and courses are obviously missing from Neo Turf Masters, but that was to be expected from an arcade game, and frankly, that is not so bad!

mmkdbujfh7rjor0vghgf.jpg

siehtxm09ihfhilthsqv.jpg

mmkdbujfh7rjor0vghgf.jpg

Anthony...
Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

This evening were with Mathew from Matropolis. After having a friendly conversation from the kind fellow, Mat mention that he made a few Neo-Geo videos onto his channel. So after receiving permission from Mat to allow me to post some of his Neo-Geo uploads, were going to see his first works from his early days from his channel. So let's start of with Metal Slug and see what he has to offer shall we.? :)

You know were going to enjoy it for sure! :)

From the decryption,

"My Metal Slug challenge attempt!:

Anthony..

Hi guys,

SSR【暴走する蒼き炎】八神庵(ぼうそうするあおきほのお やがみ いおり) 所持スキル:百式・鬼焼き(ひゃくしき おにやき) 仲間の武将の防御を特大UP #ヤマクロ #ヤマトクロニクル覚醒 #KOF

Translated from Japanese by BingWrong translation?

SSR [runaway Blue Flame: Iori Yagami (bladder Aoki flame to do so and only Iori) possession skills: baked 100 formulas-OGRE (風 inbetween you Sidle) defend against fellow warriors big UP #ヤマクロ #ヤマトクロニクル覚醒 #KOF

C4g3upMUMAA9kNE.jpg
0 replies51 retweets36 likes
Retweet
Liked

Anthony...

Hi guys,

SSR【猛き炎の伝承者】草薙京(たけきほのおのでんしょうしゃ くさなぎ きょう) 所持スキル:百八式・闇払い(ひゃくはちしき やみばらい) 仲間の武将の防御を大UP #ヤマクロ #ヤマトクロニクル覚醒 #KOF

Kyo Kusanagi SSR [legend of Takeshi ki炎] (bamboo when flame dennshou burishi yabu Kusanagi-no-today) possession skills: 108 / dark thrust (風 is knowledge yamibarai) fellow warriors defending big UP #ヤマクロ #ヤマトクロニクル覚醒 #KOF

C4g3b6GUoAAER28.jpg
0 replies34 retweets23 likes
Retweet
Liked

Anthony...

Hi guys,

本日よりSNKコラボ第二弾、「ザ・キング・オブ・ファイターズ」とのコラボレーションイベント開催中です! コラボイベント期間:2/13~2/26 23:59 #ヤマクロ #ヤマトクロニクル覚醒 #KOF

Today is a collaborative event held in and SNK collaboration part 2, "the King of fighters'! Collaboration event period: 2 / 13-2/26 23:59 #ヤマクロ #ヤマトクロニクル覚醒 #KOF

C4g3DRbUoAALwno.jpg
0 replies20 retweets13 likes
Retweet
Liked

Anthony...

Hey NEOphiles,

Here's another entry in my 90s series-- this is entry #11 in the 20 From 1996 series entitled WAKU WAKU 7. For those not in the know, this is NOT a sequel-- the title refers to onomatopoeia of excitement (like "woo hoo!" or something like that) and the number 7 refers to the number of magic balls each fighter is determined to collect by beating the other fighters, which will grant them a wish from a fairy. The game is beautiful in its anime-style presentation but gained notoriety for the cheapness of the opponents, which is apparent as you get further and further in the game. The final boss is just so, so unfair. But as you look further there are plenty of damaging moves to learn and there's an intriguing science to the Power Bar angle.

• Like 1

I am such an idiot, I accidentally posted my old password for this account on the post! I'm glad no one tried it. Anyway, if anyone has questions they can be posted on the original thread, but I would prefer people to go on the Facebook page. Also, could people please like the Facebook page so I can see how many people are interested, thank you.

Also, fdurso224, thank you for taking an interest in this project, just to say, my name only has one l not two.

Hello everyone, I have Neo Geo related news, full details on this thread.

b0n3sCLARI$ax

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/262116-neo-geo-game-by-game-podcast/

Hey Phillip,

Thank you for participating on, The Official NEO-GEO Thread. Welcome bro! :waving:

We didn't know you're doing podcast of Neo-Geo and SNK content. That sounds awesome and will take a look at it no doubt. Thank you. :)

Please enjoy your stay with the many entertaining postings that we have to offer to the community. Were glad to accept new members here and happy to have you partake to the many conversations that we have on the Neo-Geo thread. We can't wait to see what you have in store for us! :)

If you have any inquires that pertain to the Neo-Geo, feel free to post here onto the thread. Will be thrilled to answer you as prompt as possible. You're also welcome to retract on the many pages that we accumulated here on the Neo-Geo thread as well. Hopefully, we have a posting that will be to your benefit for you . :)

Thank you again Phillip for posting. Its a pleasure meeting you. Hope you have all the fun here on the Neo-Geo thread! :)

Anthony...

• Like 1

I won two more ebay auctions (same person on those) on some nice MVS carts. The prices involved on them too basically made one slightly cheap and the other game free so a win win there. :) I hope I see them by the end of the week.

Awesome to know Tanooki. We can't wait to see what they are for sure! :)

Anthony..

I am such an idiot, I accidentally posted my old password for this account on the post! I'm glad no one tried it. Anyway, if anyone has questions they can be posted on the original thread, but I would prefer people to go on the Facebook page. Also, could people please like the Facebook page so I can see how many people are interested, thank you.

Also, fdurso224, thank you for taking an interest in this project, just to say, my name only has one l not two.

You're welcome Philip. Glad to have you on here. I'll take a look at your Facebook page at this moment and see what you have to offer. Thank you again kind sir. :)

Anthony...

Okay Philip.

I just went on and now following you. Nice page you have and can't wait to see what you have in store for us in the community! :)

Anthony

Hi guys,

Back with Trouble Plant doing another amazing gameplay and revirew with Nick, Kyle, and Keith. Here was see them playing Magician Lord in which they accepted my request to do so. Let's dive right into the action. :)

From the description,

"For us, this title is borderline impossible to remember for some reason. We just really want it to be Wizard something. Maybe it’s the generic fantasy trappings, maybe it’s the unrelenting difficulty which prompts our minds to purge all thought of it from our short-term memories. Due to the felinity of the requestor’s name, Nick’s boiling rage is wrongly unloaded on noted British folk singer Cat Stevens. Sorry about that Cat(s)! It was an unfortunate accident. It won’t happen again, probably.

On a related note, Nick keeps making flippant allusions to something along the lines of “doggy was an ice cream cone,” which he asserts has something to do with Cat Stevens. Well… Google’s got nothin’. Not calling Nick a liar, here, but… gosh. What a thing to say. Hope Cat ain’t mad.

Further, I hope Magician Lord isn’t Charlie Cat’s favorite game or anything, because repeat playings in one day sure brought out the rage in old Nick. I surely hope this vituperative outing doesn’t sour you on our enterprise! Hopefully this game represents a demon from your past, and beholding another’s struggle with this title has brought you vindication and catharsis, as several videos have done for people before. In any case the opinions and assorted ejaculations of the commenters are their own and we cannot be held accountable for Nick. He is a violent, rage-filled elder god who is destined to perish in the presence of no fewer than twelve police officers. "

Anthony..

Hi guys,

餓狼MOWを買い、その分の金を取り戻そうと色々使わないものを売ると6万手に入れる。金あるやん→ROM見るか・・買いたくなる・・買ってしまう。 これもう病気や ネオジオROMの病気や そして天草降臨とKOF2002を買うという うん、働こう #ネオジオ #NEOGEO #レトロ

Get 60000 and sell the things you don't use I bought bout Wolf MOW and get back the money. Money and I → see ROM?, want to buy, and end up buying. It is already sick and online KOF2002 and wars and neo-geo ROM illness that yes, work #ネオジオ #NEOGEO #レトロ

C30jcVeVYAALM3-.jpg
3 replies0 retweets7 likes
Retweet
Liked

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Back with fellow Atariage member, Neo Turbo Manic doing what he does best. Here we see the kind sir doing a great comparison video of Samurai Shodown III from the Sega Saturn and the Sony Playstation. Let's take a look at the difference in this excellent video.

From the description.

" Here is a comparison video of Samurai Shodown III between the Saturn and PlayStation. Both games were recorded on their original consoles in S-Video. The Saturn version made use of the 1MB RAM cart."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfhhZ-gWv2k&t=6s

Anthony...