IGNORED

Intellivisionaries episode 8 is up!

8 directions as it uses a standard 4 microswitch joystick.

I also make a custom 3d printed 4-way gate for games like Carol, D2K, Burgertime, etc.

It uses a Xilinx CPLD to adapt arcade common ground type controls to the what the Intellivision wants. Controller has single AA battery, which should last for a few months of use.

Here is the thread

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/213043-intv2-arcade-controller-pre-order-interest-list

I have 3 left to sell.

Awesome. Nice work, man.

My only problem (and this has nothing to do with your work), is that... much like on MAME cabinets, I am not a fan of the left handed joystick / right handed button layout. I like the reverse of that. For whatever reason, it's OK with a game pad, but when it's a joystick, I gotta use the right hand. When I built my MAME cab, I made it a single player (one joystick, one trackball - roughly center mounted) with an ambidextrous button layout (3 on each side).

Awesome. Nice work, man.

My only problem (and this has nothing to do with your work), is that... much like on MAME cabinets, I am not a fan of the left handed joystick / right handed button layout. I like the reverse of that. For whatever reason, it's OK with a game pad, but when it's a joystick, I gotta use the right hand. When I built my MAME cab, I made it a single player (one joystick, one trackball - roughly center mounted) with an ambidextrous button layout (3 on each side).

I have a Genesis to Intellivision adapter coming out towards the end of 2014. It has built in keypad.

One could use pcb10 on any arcade type controller, but one would have to find a source for right hand controllers.

• Like 1

great work grips, though 230 is way out of my price range. My spending limit on such things is around 100 bucks, so the genesis controller option will be interesting to see.

Genesis adapter should be around $100.

Even what I sell the arcade controller for I lost around $2K in development costs and around 7 hours build time per controller. If the arcade controller makes people like the Intellivision more, its worth it. :)

Edited by grips03

Just reached the first hour mark... by the way, to that guy who wrote from the UK (and anyone else who might be interested) looking for a controller circuit matrix, a local auction site here in Venezuela is selling them for about US$10 a pair. Maybe I could serve as a middle man and have them shipped to you, although I'm not sure how much would it be (I guess they can fit inside a envelope, thus reducing the cost). Here are some pictures of it, please notice that they are only compatible with Intellivision I type controllers.

post-38122-0-03646500-1398725298_thumb.jpg

post-38122-0-19786600-1398725300_thumb.jpg

Just reached the first hour mark... by the way, to that guy who wrote from the UK (and anyone else who might be interested) looking for a controller circuit matrix, a local auction site here in Venezuela is selling them for about US$10 a pair. Maybe I could serve as a middle man and have them shipped to you, although I'm not sure how much would it be (I guess they can fit inside a envelope, thus reducing the cost). Here are some pictures of it, please notice that they are only compatible with Intellivision I type controllers.

How many pairs can you get ahold of? Maybe a group could in together and have shipped to USA as a lot, then distributed? Just an idea.......

How many pairs can you get ahold of? Maybe a group could in together and have shipped to USA as a lot, then distributed? Just an idea.......

Well, I just asked the seller and unfortunately he only has a single pair in stock, I will ask him if he can get more and let you know if that's the case.

Edit: Apparently he can renew stock but price might be higher, I requested a quote anyway.

Edited by dcasa

Well, I just asked the seller and unfortunately he only has a single pair in stock, I will ask him if he can get more and let you know if that's the case.

Edit: Apparently he can renew stock but price might be higher, I requested a quote anyway.

Interesting, thanks dcasa.

I'm going to look into getting these made. I'm not a hardware guy, but surely it can't be that difficult to replicate - Mylar plastic and some circuit traces. Well, I'm simplifying it a little, but really, there's not that much to these. And they are definitely a common failure part.

I want a right hand controller too.

The guys on the No Quarter podcast were talking about his a few episodes back... why was it, exactly, that the entire gaming industry made the switch from right handed-centric controls to lefty? NES, Sega, Jag, PS1, PS2, PS3 etc... Growing up playing the classic at home and in the arcade, my brain is hard-wired to play joystick games with my right hand - and most definitely, hard-wired to play Intellivision with my right [thumb].

why was it, exactly, that the entire gaming industry made the switch from right handed-centric controls to lefty? NES, Sega, Jag, PS1, PS2, PS3 etc.

My guess is with gaming in the golden age, direction was a more complex action than the simple action of pressing a fire button. Therefore it was reserved for the right hand in controller design. In the silver age, games started requiring multiple action buttons. Multiple buttons can be viewed as a more complex action than directional control, and therefore it was given to the right hand. The number of buttons have only grown since that time. In modern FPS dual stick games, aiming requires more precision than moving, so that task is given to the right stick.

but i have no way to back any of this up... its all theory

My guess is with gaming in the golden age, direction was a more complex action than the simple action of pressing a fire button. Therefore it was reserved for the right hand in controller design. In the silver age, games started requiring multiple action buttons. Multiple buttons can be viewed as a more complex action than directional control, and therefore it was given to the right hand. The number of buttons have only grown since that time. In modern FPS dual stick games, aiming requires more precision than moving, so that task is given to the right stick.

That makes a lot of sense. <strokes evil beard>

I've heard that theory before. It's logical. Since I never really got into the arcade fighters in the '90s, I guess my brain never received its game industry reprogramming.

Here's a screen shot I took of the NHL Hockey bug (where the player comes out of the penalty box right as you are called for another penalty, and remains in the "laid back" stance). He moves around the ice, and can even be controlled by the disc, but can't pick up the puck, and can't be tripped. He remains that way until the end of a period (or until a goal is scored, presumably)...

NHL_Hockey_bug_R2.jpg

• Like 3

Finished EP 8.......im actually disapointed it was only 5 hours!!!!!!!!!!

I expect the one year anniversary episode to be at least 10 hours!

I enjoyed the interview of Dave Akers. He has alot to talk about, im sure you could have him on a few times a year. I had forgotten what an influence I had on him making the Pong game Paddle Party! I still want just a plain old generic black and white basic PONG game!!!! Hey, a CIB would be nice, right Nurmix? ahaha But Paddle Party is still a nice game. :grin:

Edited by revolutionika

Finished EP 8.......im actually disapointed it was only 5 hours!!!!!!!!!!

I expect the one year anniversary episode to be at least 10 hours!

I enjoyed the interview of Dave Akers. He has alot to talk about, im sure you could have him on a few times a year. I had forgotten what an influence I had on him making the Pong game Paddle Party! I still want just a plain old generic black and white basic PONG game!!!! Hey, a CIB would be nice, right Nurmix? ahaha But Paddle Party is still a nice game. :grin:

Or 1 hour for the 1 year anniversary episode - just to keep people guessing...

Agreed about Dave. And yes, everything should be CIB!

:D

Got word from the seller and pricing is still $10 a pair, I guess I could get as many as necessary. Perhaps this deserves a separate "interest check" thread in the marketplace.

Interesting, thanks dcasa.

I'm going to look into getting these made. I'm not a hardware guy, but surely it can't be that difficult to replicate - Mylar plastic and some circuit traces. Well, I'm simplifying it a little, but really, there's not that much to these. And they are definitely a common failure part.

Yeah, who knows, maybe you could even create a more resistant version, although the original set is not too expensive here. I don't have a Facebook account, so you can point the UK guy to this forum in case he is interested.

Hi nurmix,

Thanks for sharing video - I'm not sure if I ever remember that and I played this one a LOT even by myself since pc goalie was good so I would just see how many I could score in a period. What are exact mechanics of bug? You trip someone at same exact time as your guy is coming out of box? Just not sure how 1st guy gets on his but and stays down. I mean I see bug in action, just not sure how you got there - very interesting. Please explain further if you don't mind.

Thanks again for sharing.

Joe.

Yeah, a penalty to your team needs to end at the exact moment you trip someone and get called for another penalty. I'm not certain, but I believe you might also have to be right next to the penalty box door as well.

And the position your guy stays in is the "laid back" penalty box position, which is a different 'animation' / position than a guy is in when he's tripped and sits on the ice.

It was a total fluke that this bug happened shortly before interviewing Ken Smith. I have probably only seen it happen one or two other times in my life.

Glad I caught a bit of video. And it was great that it happened while I was playing with my childhood friend David, who is the one who lived next door to me when we were kids, who got the Intellivision before me. Playing his was pretty much why I ended up getting one.