IGNORED

It's official, Atari Inc did create a Dual 7800 ProLine Joystick Coupler

Lynxpro

Thanks Trek! I made four of the boards actually, one was somewhat marred by a moment of me not thinking (measure twice, cut once, I should write it on my gd forehead) but the other two are just fine. When I get the rubber feet I hope to trade the remaining two for some 7800 gear here as DIY robotron "kits" that would come with the board, velcro, zip ties, and decals. (though part of me thinks it looks better sans decals).

IMG_0555.jpg

• Like 3

Well, inspired by AtariChris' "Redneck Edition" (really a very good idea) and Walter's very nice custom work, I decided to see if I could do something similar, albeit with 3/4 AC plywood. The graphics are from a 30 year old pack of colorforms "rub ons"....a little faded but they still work! I used zip ties like Atari Chris but also used a wide strip of industrial strength Velcro on the bottom of each controller. Neither solution on it's own was enough (I tested both singly) but between the two, the controllers are now basically part of the board. I've put in about 5-6 hours of frantic Robotron on it and they didn't budge a millimeter. It's not like they are easily detachable (though they are detachable) but considering I'd never use these controllers anyway, for me that is no big loss.

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

I wish I had use semi-gloss (I think it's too shiny) but gloss enamel was what I had on hand. I'm waiting on some rubber feet (so it will sit solidly on a tabletop, the bottom has the other ends of those zip ties).

For other people who won't use their stock 7800 controllers (or have extra) and really want to play Robotron right, this works great--and it's the most fun Ive ever had with this stock controller. And even a simple board (10x6 3/4 ply)+zip ties+velcro gets the same result, without paint or decals. Very easy to make if you want to try one yourself, you only need to cut the board and a drill to makes holes for the zip ties. And what a difference when you actually play!

Now that's a work of art! Too bad you probably aren't attending the Sunnyvale Atari Party and showing that off in-person this Saturday !

I think Yurkie might've been premature to end offering his ProLine ball top modification services with items like these being created...

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

Now that's a work of art! Too bad you probably aren't attending the Sunnyvale Atari Party and showing that off in-person this Saturday !

I think Yurkie might've been premature to end offering his ProLine ball top modification services with items like these being created...

Thanks Lynx! Wish I was close enough to attend an Atari gathering...even amongst my game playing friends, when it comes to Atari, this guy is basically on his own.

It would be very interesting to play this controller with ball tops...I am stunned at how well the 7800 controllers work for robotron when mounted (I got my high score--by a lot--last night) but with a shorter throw it would probably work even better.

• Like 1

I got to try out the prototype joystick coupler today at the Atari Party and it's absolutely incredible! Shame it never got released.

Where was it? I kept going around looking at the tables when I could, but I did not see it. I looked at Dan Kramer's area, but I only saw his trak-ball stuff. I am guessing I missed it during one of the busier times at my table or during one of the talks...

Where was it? I kept going around looking at the tables when I could, but I did not see it. I looked at Dan Kramer's area, but I only saw his trak-ball stuff. I am guessing I missed it during one of the busier times at my table or during one of the talks...

It wasn't broken out until after lunch. It got incredibly zany in there and some of us were just trying to make sure collections didn't get mixed or expensive items broken. There were a couple of kids that were way to rough with my NeoGeo stick for the 5200 [via grips03] that I almost packed it up but there were plenty of other people who were happy enough to play with it that made it worthwhile to keep it out.

Don't worry, the coupler project will get 3D printed in about a month's time. I'll need to find out if Atari will be okay with the file being posted online with their logo part of it or if we'll have to tweak it to remove it first.

Here's a few more pictures. Sorry Walter I do not have a ruler with centimeters on it.

Thanks Mitch, those captures (especially with the measuring tape) are perfect and cover what i was wondering about.

For the curious, reports vary concerning distance of controllers on an Arcade Robotron cabinet from 8 5/8" - 10".

• Like 1

I would like to get one of these Lynxpro ... especially if it says Atari on it . Would it still be black ?

It would depend on the color you used to 3D Print it. I have to check with Atari Legal if they'll allow it to be posted online on Thingiverse. The only point of contention would be the logo. If they nix it, We'd have to eliminate the logo on the 3D print file...maybe substitute Dan's initials in there.

Here's a few more pictures. Sorry Walter I do not have a ruler with centimeters on it.

Mitch

Just curious

i also asked Dan about selling his coupler.

Only one mail,that he has many people ,who want it and he will let me know ...,.. :(

Never got a 2nd mail :(

But it is in good hands Mitch

greetings Walter

Edited by gambler172

Thank fiddle, I actually used a holesaw on two sides of a larger than necessary board, then just ripped the board on both sides through the middle of the holes. I'm awful with a jigsaw!

Hi GW
was not in this topic for many days.....
Lmk if you still need my measures
greetings Walter

It wasn't broken out until after lunch. It got incredibly zany in there and some of us were just trying to make sure collections didn't get mixed or expensive items broken. There were a couple of kids that were way to rough with my NeoGeo stick for the 5200 [via grips03] that I almost packed it up but there were plenty of other people who were happy enough to play with it that made it worthwhile to keep it out.

Don't worry, the coupler project will get 3D printed in about a month's time. I'll need to find out if Atari will be okay with the file being posted online with their logo part of it or if we'll have to tweak it to remove it first.

Count me in for a repro :)

greetings Walter

Hi GW

was not in this topic for many days.....

Lmk if you still need my measures

greetings Walter

No prob Walter I approximated after some testing and am happy where I ended up, I'm good.

(Price dependent) I'd still be interested in a 3D printed version of the real deal though. That thing is cool!

• 6 months later...

It would depend on the color you used to 3D Print it. I have to check with Atari Legal if they'll allow it to be posted online on Thingiverse. The only point of contention would be the logo. If they nix it, We'd have to eliminate the logo on the 3D print file...maybe substitute Dan's initials in there.

Any update on this? I finally have access to a 3D printer, and I'd love to make an authentic coupler. Given the number of Atari things on Thingiverse, I can't imagine there'd be any issue. At worse, whoever has the Atari name today would ask Thingiverse to take it down (along with the dozens of other Atari things). Even if they had the will and money to track down whoever posted it and try to sue them, they'd still have to prove damages. Given all the junk that has carried the Atari name over the past few years, it would be hard to argue the brand was damaged by a reproduction of an unreleased peripheral for a 30 year old console. Plus, since they had no plans to produce the hunk of plastic themselves, it's not like they could claim lost revenue. If was worth more than a dollar, Tramiel would have released it in the 80s.

Any update on this? I finally have access to a 3D printer, and I'd love to make an authentic coupler. Given the number of Atari things on Thingiverse, I can't imagine there'd be any issue. At worse, whoever has the Atari name today would ask Thingiverse to take it down (along with the dozens of other Atari things). Even if they had the will and money to track down whoever posted it and try to sue them, they'd still have to prove damages. Given all the junk that has carried the Atari name over the past few years, it would be hard to argue the brand was damaged by a reproduction of an unreleased peripheral for a 30 year old console. Plus, since they had no plans to produce the hunk of plastic themselves, it's not like they could claim lost revenue. If was worth more than a dollar, Tramiel would have released it in the 80s.

The Tramiels didn't have it. The designer had the original schematics when he left Atari, and Dan Kramer liberated the only 2 that he knew of when it looked like everything was going to be trashed. But the chances are, the Tramiels wouldn't have released it anyway if it cost more than a dollar to make.