IGNORED

Congratulations - To All 100 PMP 30th Anniversary Cart Gift Winners!

Trebor

I'm also convinced no game will ever be 100% compatible with every 7800. I have two and what one plays fine no doubt the other will hate. I never find any rhyme or reason to it.

Yes, revisions of motherboards are a frigging nightmare. I came up with some tech a while back, to map every single unused memory location, to be cartridge RAM. It works on 1 out of 5 systems, it was tested on. :|

Nobody's perfect and this isn't some big company with 100's of testers and such. This is a homebrew so expect some bugs. Even I make games with Multimedia Fusion 2 and I'm pretty sure there are bugs and issues with my games as well, so it's not easy to code, program, debug then distribute. So give the guys involved with the multicart a break. Put yourself in their shoes for once with all the craziness and frustration, then have some irate fellow barking at you for a technical issue. Trust me, when someone yells at you, it doesn't feel good at all.

• Like 3

Well said frankodragon. One reason why I was hesitant to get a 7800 was the revision issues. My Best AV 7800 was not an early revision like others, but it plays Food Fight so I'm happy. Yes, I imagine homebrew testing to be a nightmare, especially when utilizing undocumented instructions. 2600 carts simply work on official 2600 hardware (4- and 6- switch models at least) but it looks like the 7800 is another beast entirely. I can certainly say that my limited exposure so far to 7800 homebrew has been an adventure. I hope no one is upset with me for posting videos of the Space Invaders or Moon Cresta glitches, but I feel it needed full disclosure. I also hope that the glitch hasn't prompted people to return their games or refuse payment, but at this point I wouldn't hold it against someone if they decided to flip it. Space Invaders is a bust but there's still other great titles in the collection. I'm loving the "random maze" and "plus" modes on the Pacman Collection. I haven't even scraped the other games yet. :)

• Like 3

I guess I've been lucky so far, no 7800 game I've gotten has failed to work on the NTSC 7800 I own (bar the 30th Ann cart, but we all know why that screws up). I will await and see when I get this cart in my hands to see if the same thing happens. Annoying yes, but sadly no way to completely prevent it from happening given the various motherboard revisions as CPUwiz states.

• Like 1

I have three up and running and one not so much 'running' more like limping (bad chip -somewhere) - I have a choplifter glitch but everything else plays if it fits, I figure that one may have the best chance of playing nice with this cart- we'll see-

Mine's received- and bugged on first test machine- I DID find the MC plays beautifully on EASY - none of the enemies are invincable-

the way I shoot on these games it's hard to tell if it's invisible or not (the right most pair is missing an enemy not sure if this is correct)

After playing till the um... rainbow enemies after the docking challenge on EASY I switched to Normal ... wow how fast that is- but The pattern was the same so the 'mystery enemy' can be killed and on my machine it seems to be the top or bottm most right ememy- but I'll check again later and update if needed- (when the enemies first appear pause and see if all of them are present)

This means it makes NORMAL mode more challenging as the enemy seems to be at the right place and time just invisible... or maybe I"m just lucky- its when the enemy can 'reappear' behind your ship - (not present in EASY) that seems to be the 'bug' not sure if ya'll are camping out in the middle- if I miss an enemy I run left or right to the edge of the field till it shows back up- Maybe collision detection is not allowing the enemy 'coming from behind' to show but that's what's happening. (I do not own this game as a cart)

HARD seems to replicate NORMAL's bug- and I'm not that good...

SI as all others does not play after (about)5 ufo's or 1/3 enemies or 1/2 shields ...

----------------

I do have a C2 if I could remember how to program the cussed critter. If I can help at all.

You say all carts that have paid have shipped? How many, besides myself, have not received their carts?

30+ carts were shipped today - So you will have at least over 30 people that have not received their carts.

Concerning all others that have been confirmed paid, at the time a "SHIPPED" status was posted indicates the cart for that AtariAge member was shipped that day - shortly after it was brought to the Post Office.

For domestic 'ship to' addresses provided USPS Priority Mail indicates up to 2-3 days, for International 'ship to' addresses provided USPS Priority Mail indicates up to 6-10 days.

Your cart, "77. gilsaluki", was among the members that was just updated today with a "SHIPPED" status.

You provided a domestic address, so figure you will see the cart in 2-3 days - Wednesday or Thursday.

Space Invaders seems to crash shortly after the first UFO on my machine. MC does have a ghost ship that kills me for no reason. The other games seem to work fine though. Still very happy with the cartridge. I like all of the other games. It's worth having even with the bugs.

Edited by Master Phruby

Got mine. Unfortunately, mine has the same issues with Space Invaders and Moon Cresta. Haven't thoroughly tested the other games yet, but Pac-Man Collection is fun and Scramble works as far as I can tell. Space Invaders looks so great, so it's a bit of a bummer (about equal to my disappointment with the Xevious problems on the 30th card).

Oh, well... thanks for trying guys. Innovation on old hardware is tough. It will still be played and enjoyed!

Thanks for the shipping update. I understand the issues/frustrations some are having. Heck, I don't mind. I know I am fortunate to live in a time (30 years past the prime of this system) where caring people still make this fun. I don't think Atari even meant for this, or any of it's consumer goods to have a life this long. We should, ourselves, be so fortunate.

I just got done playing an epic game of Crazy Bricks. I used the "easy" setting because I wanted to see how far the game went. Man, played for hours before the stages looped. Many of the later stages were also pretty sadistic. Got 258 thousand points! Don't know how long it actually took but I had to leave the 7800 paused several times during the interim while I had to take care of other business.

After the game looped, it started back on the first stage with the balls moving much faster and continued to speed up the longer I kept them in play. Then I think the stages play back in some type of seudo-random order during the second loop because the sequence was vastly different. Either way I quickly used up my remaining stockpile of balls with the second loop's turbo mode. You get an extra ball added to the queue for every 10,000 points you earn, so I blew through about 25 of them during the course of the game :P

Needless to say, I'm pretty much gamed out after playing that epic marathon. I will play it again sometime, but I'll wait a while.

I'll play my 8-in-1 multicart some more later to see what other goodies are available. Thanks for the tip FireTiger that Moon Cresta is still playable in Easy mode without the invisible enemies. All in all, 7 out of 8 working titles (well really 6.5 because Moon Cresta half works) ain't that bad. One thing I love about multicarts, if I don't like one game, it's not a waste of money if the others are worth playing. Of course, I DO like Space Invaders, but some things can't be helped.

PS: One more thing, I'd like to give a shout out to CPUWIZ, you've been a real pal through all of this!

Thank you for the "free" gift!!! ;) :thumbsup:

EDIT: Correction - in my demonstration video (a couple pages up) I played the game on EASY setting and there were still enemies which were rendered invisible. You can see me blast the "invisible" enemy at 2:09 and advance to third round.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

I got my cart today and confirmed that the SI crash and MC bug are present on my main 7800. I'll try my other 7800 later in the week.

That said, I didn't have Crazy Brix or Meteor Shower before today and I am very happy with those games. Crazy Brix is the JAM! I also absolutely love the update to Scramble. On my stand alone cart I have always found the scrolling to be a little distracting. This fix is a marked improvement. I hope that future copies of Scramble at the AA store use this version of the game.

Thanks to PMP, CPU and Trebor for getting this out to us!

• Like 1