IGNORED

Project -L

voltron

Sign me up... I had to go out for a bit just before the special podcast was released... seems like I was right with the flashcart! Woo hoo! I'm in for one please! If this is available at CGE this year, I will really be excited to go. (Still haven't received confirmation of holidays... hope to get everything settled in a few days!)

Congrats to the Fantastic Four... and this is something I believe Keith will be most interested in!

speaking of hoarding, we need to get some drones out there to keep cmart away..he will hoard em like he did wi Spiker! :)

:) Like Joe will be leaving Vegas with any copies. Not on my watch!

A few thoughts.....

First of all, thank you to all of you for doing this. As someone who owns both an Intellicart and a CC3 and truly can't figure out how to use either of them, this will be a godsend. Rev and I seriously should be the idiots you guys test these on for end user usability. We truly are "special" cases, our absolute lack of tech savvy really shows through with these multicarts. I pray we don't break these.

The amount of effort you guys have put in to this project speaks volumes about how much you care about our goofy 35 yr old system and that truly is awesome. Joe mentioned a "Renaissance" in Inty development and he's right, it really is genuinely exciting seeing all these projects going on. The fact that this new technology may make it easier for other games to be developed is very cool.

I am so buying Joe, and anyone else involved who shows up, beer and pizza. William, Voltron and Steve will you be coming?

Maybe this will spur others to go to CGE?

I will be buying multiple copies, but then you all knew that. Apparently I'm going to need bigger luggage for this trip.

Clear shell, cool box, mini manual? You had me at Lesbian. Once again great to see a project done up right. Stay classy Inty folks, stay classy.

Very cool use of an Intellivisionaries podcast to get this out....well played Sirs, well played. Paul this makes me think we really should try to get some sort of round table discussion podcast put together at CGE with whomever shows up. Nice of me to volunteer your services and skills me thinks. :)

I need to go and book my flight, room and CGE ticket very soon.

• Like 3

:) Like Joe will be leaving Vegas with any copies. Not on my watch!

Folks, I think I just discovered how to fund the second, third and fourth production runs of LTO Flash!, as well as my retirement. ;-) How big is your suitcase again? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

First of all, thank you to all of you for doing this. As someone who owns both an Intellicart and a CC3 and truly can't figure out how to use either of them, this will be a godsend. Rev and I seriously should be the idiots you guys test these on for end user usability. We truly are "special" cases, our absolute lack of tech savvy really shows through with these multicarts. I pray we don't break these.

I put considerable effort into bulletproofing the hardware for normal use. (Don't strap it to a Van de Graaff generator in a thunderstorm... that's just silly.)

The only piece I worry about is the USB connector itself, but the one I selected is a beefy connector used by many other projects out there. It's a Hirose ZX62-B-5PA(11) for those of you who might care. The one scare I had where it looked like the connector might be flaky/easily damaged turned out to actually be a crappy cable. So far, I can't kill the connector. What lesson did I learn? Buy awesome cables, not crappy cables. As a result, LTO Flash will come with very high quality cables.

That leaves the software. If software breaks, that's a less big deal. Yes, bugs suck. But, LTO Flash! is field upgradable, as is the GUI. So, if you manage to break the software, we can fix that pretty easily.

The amount of effort you guys have put in to this project speaks volumes about how much you care about our goofy 35 yr old system and that truly is awesome. Joe mentioned a "Renaissance" in Inty development and he's right, it really is genuinely exciting seeing all these projects going on. The fact that this new technology may make it easier for other games to be developed is very cool.

I don't think I was the one who mentioned a Renaissance in Intellivision development. I certainly agree with the sentiment 100%, though. :-)

I need to go and book my flight, room and CGE ticket very soon.

Actually, so do I. I'm planning on taking off some additional time from work ahead of the show so I can get as much as possible assembled and ready. I may not have a booth at CGE, but I certainly do want to bring as many LTO Flash! with me as possible.

:)

I've managed to use the Cuttle Cart 3, but I did have professional Intellivision help to make it so. I still can't get the emulator to work on the Mac. So if you need a really lame tester, I'm your guy. I'll even pay for the carts I'm testing. :-)

:)

I am so buying Joe, and anyone else involved who shows up, beer and pizza. William, Voltron and Steve will you be coming?

My contract in the States ends sept 12, which means Sept 13 looks like a good day for me to check out CGE Edited by voltron

Thanks!

BTW, here's another pic of the board.

same LTO case or was it modified for the micro usb port?

I hope R1 can be found :)

Looks to be designed for single pass through a pick and place machine, single component side

nice and close on the decoupling caps

2-layer?

Edited by grips03

Games can be copy protected and be set to ONLY run on LTO Flash! or a SPECIFIC LTO Flash! cartridge. Therefore, we will be much more willing to sell roms for LTO Flash! knowing that they won't be useable on other cartridges or emulators.

The LTO Flash! sounds like a great product, and it definitely will open up some fantastic possibilities for the Intellivision and its community. However, I truly hope that DRM does not become the defining feature of the future of the Intellivision.

Nonetheless, great work to all involved! I really look forward to great things to come, and of course, to getting one for myself. :)

-dZ.

P.S. What's the official name, I thought it was "LTO Flash!"?

Edited by DZ-Jay

It means that games like Match 5 that require JLP carts in order to function fully with high score saves, will work with LTO Flash!

Games can be copy protected and be set to ONLY run on LTO Flash! or a SPECIFIC LTO Flash! cartridge. Therefore, we will be much more willing to sell roms for LTO Flash! knowing that they won't be useable on other cartridges or emulators.

Sounds like a win-win situation. It will also give collectors who don't have the $$ to buy 7 copies of every homebrew flexibility to pick and choose what games they actually want to buy CIB.

However, I truly hope that DRM does not become the defining feature of the future of the Intellivision.

I believe the point is that ROMs can be protected. This would be up to the party who owns the rights to said ROM. By offering the feature, those who wish to can use it. It's opt-in.

• Like 1

The LTO Flash! sounds like a great product, and it definitely will open up some fantastic possibilities for the Intellivision and its community. However, I truly hope that DRM does not become the defining feature of the future of the Intellivision.

Nonetheless, great work to all involved! I really look forward to great things to come, and of course, to getting one for myself. :)

-dZ.

P.S. What's the official name, I thought it was "LTO Flash!"?

Thank you dZ for the backhanded compliment.

However, I don't think hyperbole is necessary.

'DRM' is not the 'defining feature' of LTO Flash!

DRM on LTO Flash! (the official name of the cartridge) gives us MORE flexibility not less. Games such as Kroz that are very well protected by JLP and virtually 'undumpable' would never see a ROM release without the DRM and Flash RAM features of LTO Flash!. We would not want to offer the ROM for a small amount only to be passed around and the very expensive CIB package sitting unsold.

Games such as Match 5, The Lost Caves of Kroz and Boulder Dash ® all use features of JLP that are not available on other multi-carts. There is certainly nothing wrong with being able to control the distribution of ROMS even on LTO Flash! itself......knowing that you can compile a game that only runs on LTO Flash! number 63 for example, encourages low cost ROM sales.

Elektronite and First Star Software have an agreement for CARTRIDGE ONLY copies of Boulder Dash and having DRM at least opens the possibility of a cheaper solution for playing the game. No agreement exists right now, but LTO Flash! gives us an opportunity to make that deal. Again, the ROM would never be sold otherwise.

Booked the Riviera Hotel for all 3 days at CGE. I was sitting on the fence about going and this made my decision.

The prices are very good. Im looking at Sat. my last day at work fri, hopefully they find a replacement for me sooner and i can be done with work sooner and be there for more days.