IGNORED

LTO Flash! - Intellivision Flash Cartridge Information

Besides getting bogged down in discussion on 'how to pay for LTO Flash!', it is kind of an unexpected announcement that it is 'finished'. I've known that for a while, but I kind of thought it would get a big announcement. ;-)

Some testers already have them. In fact, testers of Defender of the Crown will begin to use LTO Flash! to start testing DOTC in a couple of weeks.

Just need to get that manual done, figure out a way to take payment and start shipping. Yay!!

• Like 3

Besides getting bogged down in discussion on 'how to pay for LTO Flash!', it is kind of an unexpected announcement that it is 'finished'. I've known that for a while, but I kind of thought it would get a big announcement. ;-)

Some testers already have them. In fact, testers of Defender of the Crown will begin to use LTO Flash! to start testing DOTC in a couple of weeks.

Just need to get that manual done, figure out a way to take payment and start shipping. Yay!!

It's not finished until I have manuals and can start shrinkwrapping and shipping these things. I'm not making a big announcement until I'm ready to ship units. :)

Finished means "now shipping."

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 6

There is no money order from Germany, Western Union transfer is a mess and I don't think I have cheques that you get money with.

In the end, I have to send you the money in cash, like the oldest Internet days when I paid my first international Intellivision buys this way.

• Like 1

Money order and cheques pretty much exclude all overseas interested buyers which is a shame. So no LTO for me.

There is no money order from Germany, Western Union transfer is a mess and I don't think I have cheques that you get money with.

In the end, I have to send you the money in cash, like the oldest Internet days when I paid my first international Intellivision buys this way.

Like I said, I'll work with everyone that wants one. I'm certain we'll be able to work something out.

• Like 3

They have a habit of seizing the accounts of people selling flash cartridges.

In fact, before I start selling this, I need to make sure to move my "house in California down payment fund" to an account that has never been linked to PayPal, just in case.

I thought the problem you had was because you took pre-orders and after a while, some people complained that they hadn't received theirs yet. This resulted in PayPal seizing the funds until all orders were shipped.

Wasn't that what happened? If so, just don't do it that way, and sell only when ready to ship.

I thought the problem you had was because you took pre-orders and after a while, some people complained that they hadn't received theirs yet. This resulted in PayPal seizing the funds until all orders were shipped.

Wasn't that what happened? If so, just don't do it that way, and sell only when ready to ship.

Don't get me started on this DZ, Groovy Bee took many pre-orders for many games to produce his Hive 3 years ago and where is that at this point? Remember Rocketeer, Mars Minis etc.?

You know this, and maybe Groovy should use the business model you are asking for to sell when ready to ship.

Don't call someone out for what you think they are doing wrong when you already back someone for doing it. Good day sir!

It's not finished until I have manuals and can start shrinkwrapping and shipping these things. I'm not making a big announcement until I'm ready to ship units. :)

Finished means "now shipping."

It's not finished until cmart can smell the shrink-wrapping? :)

Don't get me started on this DZ, Groovy Bee took many pre-orders for many games to produce his Hive 3 years ago and where is that at this point? Remember Rocketeer, Mars Minis etc.?

You know this, and maybe Groovy should use the business model you are asking for to sell when ready to ship.

Don't call someone out for what you think they are doing wrong when you already back someone for doing it. Good day sir!

To be fair Wolfy, I don't think he was saying that 'taking pre-orders is bad'.....he was saying that he believes that it was the reason that funds were seized by PayPal.

I can't speak for INTVnut, but I don't think that was the case. They wanted 'proof of delivery'. I don't think he took money in advance. It was probably because of the sudden influx of funds.

This situation however, is different. PayPal has a clear policy against flash cartridges, and you are taking a chance by selling them on PayPal that they will do nasty things.

• Like 1

They have a habit of seizing the accounts of people selling flash cartridges.

In fact, before I start selling this, I need to make sure to move my "house in California down payment fund" to an account that has never been linked to PayPal, just in case.

Is selling them through the AA store an option?

https://www.merchantinc.com

How about this?

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070603200441AAj1vGp

http://www.merchantmaverick.com/reviews/ipayment-review/

Summary:They are a reseller/subsiduary of Ipayment, The second link lists som important fine print like contract length etc.

The issue with Space Patrol, etc. was indeed that I started accepting orders before I was able to ship. I don't even know if anyone complained, as I was up-front about the fact there would be a delay.

I started accepting orders once I had pulled the trigger on manufacturing, and there was going to be a roughly fixed timeline until I'd be able to ship. It was "preorders" in the sense that everyone understood that I couldn't ship that day, but I had burned all the EPROMs, and I was getting boards fabbed, boxes printed, etc.

But it ended up screwing up my ability to pay my day to day bills because I'd assumed (incorrectly) that I'd be able to use the incoming funds to offset what I had just paid out for manufacturing. (I don't remember if they clawed back from my checking; however, others have complained that happened to them.) Eventually I recovered because PayPal did unfreeze my account. It was a bad experience, but I recovered because PayPal was ultimately satisfied with proof of delivery.

That said, just Google "paypal flashcart" and read any number of posts about PayPal going further and freezing indefinitely for violating their Terms of Service. Proof of delivery doesn't settle that situation. They either force you to refund the money or effectively keep it for themselves. So, if I end up shipping a bunch of units, and then PayPal says "sorry, you will never see this money," that leaves me in a rough position. If they refuse to give the money back to the buyer (because the buyer also violated the TOS), that leaves both of us in a rough position.

I'll put it in large print in case you missed it: Space Patrol did not violate PayPal's TOS. Flash carts do. "PayPal also prohibits transactions for devices that allow domestic video game consoles to play back-up or import versions of video games, including mod chips, game enhancers, and boot disks."

ROM images == "back-up versions."

My direct bad experience with a legitimate use of PayPal has led me to want to avoid a worse experience with a direct violation of their TOS.

I can't speak for INTVnut, but I don't think that was the case. They wanted 'proof of delivery'. I don't think he took money in advance. It was probably because of the sudden influx of funds.

It was "in advance" in the sense I couldn't ship that day, but rather had aimed at about 3 months later. At one point, I had my incoming boxes held up in customs for something like 6 or 8 weeks. A second, larger shipment of Space Patrol boxes arrived before the first one, by a over month, IIRC. It was something crazy like that.

Remember, this was the bad old days where I had to burn all the EPROMs before building everything. The game was "done" the moment I started burning EPROMs, so there wasn't any further development to wait on. Just the purchase and manufacturing of hard goods. But the order-to-ship timeline was above PayPal's (apparently) 30 day threshold.

I now budget everything so that I don't count on incoming funds to manufacture everything. I save up, pay out of pocket for everything, and then recoup on the sales. I assume it will take a "long time" to get money from PayPal, in case they freeze my account again. I don't want to get into TOS-violation territory, though, where they freeze me indefinitely and/or force me to refund all the money after I've shipped. Section 16.8 doesn't look pleasant.

And to be clear: I'm not against other folks accepting preorders! How others conduct their business is between them and their customers. I personally choose not to do preorders.

Anyway, I'm sorry I brought it up before I had worked out what the replacement is. Rest assured I'm working on it.

I know for a fact that Chad did not accept PayPal for the Intellicart and CC3, and yet both of those sold out, so I'm sure we can make this work.

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 2

I'm aware of that. I'm just saying I think you might be overthinking the problems with Paypal. They won't know what you are selling. If you call it an LTO Cart in the descriptor for payments you don't have the risk of them caring.

Piggy Bank was not a flash cartridge.