IGNORED

What's the latest games you've played on your Wii U?

Ransom

• 2 weeks later...

Just started playing my physical disc of Steamworld collection. I am really grooving on Steamworld Heist right now, being very impressed with this mixture of turn based strategy and action. The randomly built levels are a nice touch, and I was wondering if the loot drops are random as well? Anyone know this?

I picked up Zelda yesterday on the Wii U and am having a good time with it. It's definitely a fresh take on the formula.

How is the performance? I already asked in the Switch thread as I have read some articles that the Switch version can struggle to keep up at times.

Of course, the Wii U version only need to go at 720p and not 1080p.

How is the performance? I already asked in the Switch thread as I have read some articles that the Switch version can struggle to keep up at times.

Of course, the Wii U version only need to go at 720p and not 1080p.

It chops up at times but is fairly smooth/consistent overall. I have been streaming it for the last two days and several people have popped into the chat to tell me the Switch version is nearly identical from a performance angle, just with a slightly higher resolution on the TV.
  • Like 1

Yeah its 900p not 1080p correct? I do plan on picking up the Wii U version for posterity and to see if they did anything cool with the game pad. Did they? :)

There are gyroscope functions. The ones for aiming your bow can be turned off, the ones for certain puzzles in specific shrines cannot. One of them that stood out to me plays like one of those old wooden marble maze toys (example). They have been the exception to the rule so far and I'm not sure how they function with the Pro Controller.

Yes, I saw the shrine that was like one of those wooden table top games with the steel ball that you had to navigate through the maze.

Gyroscope control is only optional for aiming. Any puzzles that rely on motion control must be played with the Wii U gamepad.

Edited by Atariboy

I played. :)

My copy hasn't arrived and Amazon says I have to wait until Friday, but I've messed around with the Wii U version for about an hour so far with a friend on his system. That ball labyrinth temple just happened to be the one that I had the opportunity to check out on his save.

So I suppose I can't state with 100% certainty that whatever other gyroscope based puzzles there are in the game, don't have a non-motion workaround. But I very much doubt it when this one didn't.

I actually haven't watched much about this. Perhaps 20 minutes of the E3 build in motion, the trailers, and I watched the opening portion they showed on Giant Bomb before they loaded up an advanced save that was late in the game.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Eurogamer now has a deeper analysis of how the Wii U version stacks up. Switch unsurprisingly wins now that they've dug deeper, but as someone that still loves Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask which both supposedly run at 20 fps, I don't mind seeing it drop down to a consistent 20 fps in busier areas like Kakriko Village or care that it drops momentarily when the action heats up.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-switch-vs-wii-u-face-off

And my copy arrived yesterday. several days earlier than expected. I just have to figure out how to catch up with this franchise now, since I've yet to finish Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD sits here sealed, and I've never played Skyward Sword at all and have yet to take the shrinkwrap off it.

Going to be tough to wait if I decide to play these in chronological order. :)

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 months later...

Played Darksiders: Warmastered Edition, and man, these God of War 'action' games are so cookie cutter. There's virtually no difference from one to the next. This one in particular is very similar to Dante's Inferno, but I loved that one. I don't see anything special about Darksiders. I don't think I'll finish it. The genre reminds me of the old days when all the beatemups were very similar, but I had alot of fun with those. Maybe I'm just sick of it all.

I'm really craving some good board games or good strategy games on the new consoles, and I'm just not able to fill that need right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently playing Dues Ex Human Revolution. Pretty good game, this is the first one of the series I've tried. I like how you can talk your way through some missions, as well as settle it with combat, or stealth if you want. I enjoy using the WiiU gamepad for handling the upgrade screen, as well as the hacking mini-game. Very good utilization of the gamepad in this game. Fun game so far.

I was playing Wind Waker HD a bit, a week or two ago.

Took the shrink wrap off Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero, but I don't really have time to play it...plus, I have so many other Shantae games to beat first!

Edited by Asaki

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just read that you will be able to add points to the Wii shop until march and that it'll close after 2018 is over:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/nintendo_has_announced_the_end_of_the_wii_shop_channel

I need to check wether there's other rare SNES exclusives like Super Turrican still worth getting on it...

I've just started Lego City Undercover. I love the humor, but the load times are long and the driving controls are waaaaay too sensitive.

Recently played Lego City Undercover, spot on.

Also played some of the mini games in Nintendo Land, surprisingly good.

Now playing Splatoon (single player, appears no one plays online anymore, or moved to Splatoon 2), as well as Super Mario Galaxy 2 in Wii mode