IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback Controller Adapters

nurmix

JANUARY 12, 2015

More cables being made this week / weekend!

------ PAID & SHIPPED --------------------------------
[AA] Oscar G. | Quantity: 2 <PAID>
[AA] Intellfan | Quantity: 2 <PAID>
[AA] Rook3 | Quantity: 2 <PAID>
[AA] DoctorTom | Quantity: 2 <PAID>

------ PENDING -----------------------------------------
[AA] Certifiable | Quantity: 2 <PAID>
|WEB| Stanley M. | Quantity: 4 <total due sent>

----- NEXT IN LINE --------------------------------------
[AA] scott9771 | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Dane S. | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Robert K. | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Joel . | Quantity: ?
[AA] BBWW | Quantity: 2
[AA] SiLic0ne t0aD85 | Quantity: 2
[AA] m-crew | Quantity: 2
[AA] First Spear | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Al L. | Quantity: 2
|WEB| David G. | Quantity: 2 <PAID>
|WEB| Joseph L. | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Frank O. | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Justin . | Quantity: 2
[AA] Raspookin | Quantity: 2 <total due sent>

----- RESERVED / ON HOLD --------------------------
[AA] spaceman | Quantity: 2 <future shipment>
|WEB| Bill M. | Quantity: 2 <future shipment>

-------------------------------------------------------------

Small price increase from this point on

due to more expensive supply cables
(adapter cables are $13 each / two for $24)

-------------------------------------------------------------

[AA] Intellivisioner | Quantity 2
[AA] UberArcade | Quantity 2
|WEB| Glenn G. | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Brian S. | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Kevin R. | Quantity: 2

Edited by nurmix

Hey, guys.

Just to let you know, I have the parts in for original console adapter cables now, and have put together a couple test units.

That said, there are a few ways I can go about this, so I'm hoping for some feedback here.

(1) Build short plug/connector conversion cables that go from the Intellivision motherboard pin headers to a male db9 plug. These would be long enough to route out the console, and would lie in the recessed controller area. The plus side of doing it this way if you would have the option to use Sears (or.. not sure why.. but also Intellivision II) controllers with your original console. If you want to use a Flashback controller, you could plug in one of my existing adapters, and you're good to go. More controller options this way, but you still need the Flashback adapter cable.

(2) Build short plug/connector conversion cables with Flashback adapted wiring that go from the Intellivision motherboard pin headers to a male db9 plug. As above, these would be long enough to route out the console, and would lie in the recessed controller area. The plus side: no need for an additional Flashback adapter cable. The minus sides: You can't use a Sears (or Intellivision II) controller, only a Flashback controller. Finally - and this could either be a positive or a negative, depending on how you look at it - you don't get the additional 6 foot length of my current Flashback adapter cables, which means you also don't have a 6 foot cable 'permanently' attached to / hanging off of your console.

(3) and (4) Build 6-foot versions of above.

(5) [not sure I want to go this route] Build something that allows you to keep your existing controllers attached, but also allows attachment of Flashback controllers either through db9 extensions routed out of the console through the controller storage area, or perhaps through 'serial port' connectors on the back of the console (or the front). This would require case modding, and is probably not something most people want to do.

So... Thoughts? Suggestions? Interest?

Edited by nurmix

#2 would be my vote; when I get around to building this for myself this is what I'll be doing (basically waiting on cheap AtGames controllers to appear). There's simply no way I'd ever be using anything BUT a FB controller once going down this path. INTV II controllers are garbage, and the odds of having Sears controllers handy without a unit that could take them are slim at best.

And DB9 extension cables are cheap enough if I ever wanted one. I'd rather not have extra cord always kicking around on a unit if I can avoid it.

• Like 1

#2 would be my vote; when I get around to building this for myself this is what I'll be doing (basically waiting on cheap AtGames controllers to appear). There's simply no way I'd ever be using anything BUT a FB controller once going down this path. INTV II controllers are garbage, and the odds of having Sears controllers handy without a unit that could take them are slim at best.

And DB9 extension cables are cheap enough if I ever wanted one. I'd rather not have extra cord always kicking around on a unit if I can avoid it.

Good points, Freeweed. Thanks.

Also, I forgot to mention, I may just make all options available with different pricing, if there is demand / interest.

Also, I forgot to mention, I may just make all options available with different pricing, if there is demand / interest.

It'd be uber keen if the cost would be the same to make everything modular - adaptor, extension, etc. Then people could build what suits them personally. Unfortunately I know that won't be the case due to the cost of the various plugs involved, if nothing else. But yeah - if you're basically producing these on demand to some degree, then that would be the best of all worlds - just have people pick and choose.

#5 without case modding is also interesting. I have some units where the controllers are fine *now*, or they work for most games, but one or 2 keypad buttons don't work. Might be handy to have the ability to add new controllers down the road, when and if these break. Keep in mind that I may not be your target audience as I'm just gonna wire this stuff up myself once I get a line on controllers, so take my comments with a grain of salt :)

Goddam hard-wired controllers. Mattel, you guys suck.

• Like 2

More options means less time for you to do other things and would make it harder for you to get in the zone while hand making these. I say do #1 or #2, not both. Then you have to decide at what point you are tired of making these things and move on to different challenges that are more in line with some of your other talents and interests...

• Like 1

More options means less time for you to do other things and would make it harder for you to get in the zone while hand making these. I say do #1 or #2, not both. Then you have to decide at what point you are tired of making these things and move on to different challenges that are more in line with some of your other talents and interests...

Another good point. This is, after all, a side project / hobby. If it starts to become too much work / drudgery, I won't be too keen on keeping it up (nor will my wife). :-D

Another good point. This is, after all, a side project / hobby. If it starts to become too much work / drudgery, I won't be too keen on keeping it up (nor will my wife). :-D

Again, just a reminder, you do have other important intellivision related activities. Just sayin. ;)

• Like 1

Me too. I would love long cords but as I get older i get closer to my tv. A 6 footcable is long enough for me! thanks, Wolfy

IMO your target audience would benefit most from implementing option 2. Didn't the traditional 'hardwired' consoles outsell the Intellivision II and Super Video Arcade by quite a lot?

The only 'tricky' thing to these is getting the orientation right when installing them. Those connectors aren't keyed, IIRC.

If people want to extend these, they can get an extender on their own. The FB controllers already have cables a few feet long. Or is the cost of doing the shorter vs. extended versions only incremental?

Again, just a reminder, you do have other important intellivision related activities. Just sayin. ;)

Hmm... January 19th. Group segments in the can. One interview in the can. Two more to do. No editing or production done yet though... you might be on to something!

:?

IMO your target audience would benefit most from implementing option 2. Didn't the traditional 'hardwired' consoles outsell the Intellivision II and Super Video Arcade by quite a lot?

The only 'tricky' thing to these is getting the orientation right when installing them. Those connectors aren't keyed, IIRC.

If people want to extend these, they can get an extender on their own. The FB controllers already have cables a few feet long. Or is the cost of doing the shorter vs. extended versions only incremental?

You're probably right, Steve.

By the way, I intend to 'key' my connectors with a label of some sort to avoid confusion. Although the good thing is even if you put it in wrong, you aren't going to short anything out. Your controller just won't work!

Shorter is cleaner in this case (no jokes, Freeweed!) :-o... but since I'm already starting with a 6' cable, the cost there is more or less the same. However, the cost over my current db9 to db9 adapter cables increases due to the price of the 9-pin connector housings and pins, not to mention additional assembly time.

I'm leaning toward the short version, if longer cord length is desired, buy an extension. Which just got me thinking... I can always sell extension cables too from my supply cables, if there are a few people who want that.

Hello all,

I don't know that length really matters except for how "neat" you want to keep the interior of your machine. Otherwise, going with 6 foot gives you the most options. I will agree though that 6ft extension with the flashback controllers is a little long but you never know, someone might want that. I should mention though that I'm biased because I make my own cables and they happen to be 6 ft. Here are some pictures of a machine with two 6 foot cables installed in different configurations. I'll let you guys be the judge. Let me know what you think.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233792-original-intellivision-flashback-controller-adapters/?p=3158385

Edited by Intellinate

JANUARY 23, 2015

First and foremost, even though Intellinate beat me to it by a week or so, my Intellivision 1 (original Master Component, INTV System III, INTV Super Pro, Radio Shack Tandyvision, GTE/Sylvania Intellivision, etcetera) adapter cables are now available. These are approximately 18 inches in length motherboard (9-pin female SIP connector) to male db9 connector cables.

They allow using a Flashback controller with any of the above mentioned consoles. You do have to take the top cover off of your console to install them (only 6 screws) but it's not a difficult thing to do. The cables exit through the existing controller cable holes, and the Flashback controllers will replace your existing Intellivision controllers. The motherboard connectors will be labeled for trouble free installation.

They will have different packaging than my existing cables (pictures will be posted soon), and they are only sold in pairs. They are more labor intensive to make than my current adapter cables, and require additional parts. That said, the price is a bit lower than my current adapter cables: $22/pair + shipping (due to the decreased cable length). For those who have already ordered my original adapter cables, the price is only $20/pair + shipping.

For those wanting longer cords than the Flashback controllers come with out of the box, you can pick up your own extension cables on ebay, etc, or you can purchase 6 foot extension cables from me for $7.50 each - keep in mind I only have limited quantities of these available.

Post here or send me a PM if you are interested.

[AA] Oscar G. | Quantity: 2
[AA] Intellfan | Quantity: 2
[AA] Rook3 | Quantity: 2
[AA] DoctorTom | Quantity: 2
[AA] Certifiable | Quantity: 2
|WEB| David G. | Quantity: 2

|WEB| Stanley M. | Quantity: 4 <total due sent>
[AA] scott9771 | Quantity: 2 <total due sent>
[AA] SiLic0ne t0aD85 | Quantity: 2 <total due sent>
|WEB| Joel . | Quantity: ? <second email sent>

[AA] First Spear | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Al L. | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Joseph L. | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Frank O. | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Justin D. | Quantity: 2
[AA] Raspookin | Quantity: 2 <PAID>

[AA] Intellivisioner | Quantity 2
|WEB| Glenn G. | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Brian S. | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Kevin R. | Quantity: 2
[AA] bussinrounds | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Terry W. | Quantity: 2 >>> Sears to Flashback adapters <<<
|WEB| Steve B. | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Luis T. | Quantity: 2

[AA] spaceman | Quantity: 2 <future shipment>
|WEB| Bill M. | Quantity: 2 <future shipment>

----- awaiting contact ------------------------------------
|CGE| Mic | Quantity: ? <<emails sent >>
|CGE| Greg B. | Quantity: ? <<emails sent >>
|WEB| Vinny . | Quantity: ? <emails sent>

• 2 weeks later...

February 1, 2015 - UPDATE:

[AA] Oscar G. | Quantity: 2
[AA] Intellfan | Quantity: 2
[AA] Rook3 | Quantity: 2
[AA] DoctorTom | Quantity: 2
[AA] Certifiable | Quantity: 2
|WEB| David G. | Quantity: 2
[AA] SiLic0ne t0aD85 | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Stanley M. | Quantity: 4

[AA] Raspookin | Quantity: 2 <PAID>

[AA] scott9771 | Quantity: 2 <total due sent>
[AA] spaceman | Quantity: 2+4+2 <total due sent>
[AA] First Spear | Quantity: 2 <total due sent>
|WEB| Al L. | Quantity: 2 <2nd email sent requesting address>
|WEB| Joseph L. | Quantity: 2 <total due sent>
|WEB| Frank O. | Quantity: 2 <total due sent>
|WEB| Justin D. | Quantity: 2 <total due sent>

------------------------------------------------------------
* Note: PRICE INCREASE FROM THIS POINT
* (Inty II cables are now $13 each or two for $24)
------------------------------------------------------------

|WEB| Glenn G. | Quantity: 2 <email sent requesting address>
|WEB| Brian S. | Quantity: 2 <email sent requesting address>
|WEB| Kevin R. | Quantity: 2 <email sent requesting address>
[AA] bussinrounds | Quantity: 2
|WEB| Terry W. | Quantity: 2 + 2
|WEB| Steve B. | Quantity: 2 <PAID - check>
|WEB| Luis T. | Quantity: 2 <total due sent>
|WEB| Rick | Quantity: 2 <email sent requesting address>