IGNORED

Paypal lock account after buying coleco homebrews?

youki

Pfff...

Paypal locked my account for totally false reasons. And said "there is no way to contest that decision". And of course they don't answer to complain... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just curious does for one of you Paypal locked your account relativly shortly after you bought some colecovision Homebrews or other homebrews. ?

Since the last five year I used my paypal account exclusivly for homebrews , and paypal locked my account because something is supicious and does not follow the rules... and they pointed me to that a set of rules , i read all the rules and i don't think i did something against except that article that could apply to certains homebrews...

D'après notre Règlement sur les utilisations autorisées, PayPal ne sauraitêtre utilisé pour la vente ou l'achat d'objets qui enfreignent ou violentun/une quelconque droit d'auteur, marque déposée, droit de diffusion oudroit lié à la protection de la vie privée ou tout autre droit depropriétéconformément aux lois d'une quelconque juridiction. 

roughly translated it means :

Paypal can not be used to sell or buy object with copyright issues....

Pfff...

Paypal locked my account for totally false reasons. And said "there is no way to contest that decision". And of course they don't answer to complain... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just curious does for one of you Paypal locked your account relativly shortly after you bought some colecovision Homebrews or other homebrews. ?

Since the last five year I used my paypal account exclusivly for homebrews , and paypal locked my account because something is supicious and does not follow the rules... and they pointed me to that a set of rules , i read all the rules and i don't think i did something against except that article that could apply to certains homebrews...

D'après notre Règlement sur les utilisations autorisées, PayPal ne sauraitêtre utilisé pour la vente ou l'achat d'objets qui enfreignent ou violentun/une quelconque droit d'auteur, marque déposée, droit de diffusion oudroit lié à la protection de la vie privée ou tout autre droit depropriétéconformément aux lois d'une quelconque juridiction. 

roughly translated it means :

Paypal can not be used to sell or buy object with copyright issues....

Wow, that sucks... I've not had that problem...

I guess it's country specific

I.E .... If I listed something on ebay and included the word , ebay will pull out the item

My advice, simply avoid using the word homebrew when buying something off Paypal

I seriously doubt that the logic PayPal uses to lock accounts (if there is even such a thing as logic when it comes to this) has anything at all to do with the algorithms eBay uses to end auctions for prohibited items.

..Al

I seriously doubt that the logic PayPal uses to lock accounts (if there is even such a thing as logic when it comes to this) has anything at all to do with the algorithms eBay uses to end auctions for prohibited items...Al

I could'nt say , really

From my experience Ebay always pull out my items if they are mark as Homebrew

For Paypal, I'm quite surprised to be honest, but again it can be country specific

Although, I'm not completely sure about that

I could'nt say , really

For Paypal, I'm quite surprised to be honest, but again it can be country specific

That's horrible. I guess they don't know the difference between "homebrew" and "reproduction"? :(

• Like 2

Don't think "homebrew" was the red flag here. Let's see if the O.P. has some more details.

I could'nt say , really

I've seen them pull listings when "reproduction" is used. I don't undertand why the would automatically associate the word homebrew to copyright infringment. There are plenty of original homebrew's out there. Seems that they are being overly conservative.

eBay isn't very consistent with this--perhaps once they pull one of your auctions containing a certain term, that account is flagged and they routinely check it for the same term. I'm not sure I've ever had a game removed form eBay for using the term "homebrew". Not even sure why eBay would flag such a term, that's being overly aggressive and just hostile. But not surprising.

..Al

• Like 1

Sure! If we can help you, ask us and we will be happy to assist you J-P

Thanks J-F , but this year i didn't buy Collectorvision game... it is because i wanted to order one from you last batch i discover that my account was really locked.

I use to receive regulary spam from hacker imitating "paypal" saying "verify your paypal information" , "your account has been locked"..etc.. just to try to hack my account.

So when last week i received the mail from paypal saying my account is restricted i didn't pay attention. but this week when i try to order one of your game, i discovered my account was really restricted.

the last thing i did with my account was to buy Joust.

That easy for Robot from Paypal to deduct you buy Homebrew. In cutting across all the information they possess on the transactions from paypal and ebay, buyers, sellers and what you type as message with the transaction they deduct what you kind of thing you bought.

But for me it is more difficult from them to determine if the homebrew you bought has copyright issues or not.

I have more the feeling they are trying to "clean" their customer base. guy like me are not interresting for paypal, i don't do enough transaction per year, i don't let money on my paypal account ... so i'm not an interresting customer. I believe they calculated that maintening my account cost more than that they win... So they try to force me to cancel it. Just a guess.

I've seen them pull listings when "reproduction" is used. I don't undertand why the would automatically associate the word homebrew to copyright infringment. There are plenty of original homebrew's out there. Seems that they are being overly conservative.

I think PayPal's reasoning might be that a homebrew game is an unlicenced game i.e. no one paid Coleco Industries for the right to make games for their console like Electronic Arts pay Sony to make games for the PS4.

I seriously doubt that buying homebrew games had anything at all to do with PayPal locking the account.

..Al

Exactly what i thought! If that IS the reason by chance, that is the strangest thing i ever heard!

Edited by Rik

I use my account exclusivly for homebrew, and they claim my last transactions are suspicious and that are only transaction to buy homebrews.

Of course no answer, they don't answer to mail , impossible to reach them by telephone.

I did some search on various forums , i'm not the only one in that case. And they are some guys who have lot of more problems than me. One of them (a professionnal seller) had its account locked without valid reasons (or let say verified reason) with more than 137 000 euros on it for 180 days. And having its account restricted , he can not do its business anymore , he goes to bankrout.

It is may be country specific. But seems it is quiet commun in europe. :(

I guess it's country specific

I.E .... If I listed something on ebay and included the word < Homebrew > , ebay will pull out the item

My advice, simply avoid using the word homebrew when buying something off Paypal

Ebay allows homebrews. If you put "repro" in your auction or keywords, expect it to be pulled in short order.

I did some search on various forums , i'm not the only one in that case. And they are some guys who have lot of more problems than me. One of them (a professionnal seller) had its account locked without valid reasons (or let say verified reason) with more than 137 000 euros on it for 180 days. And having its account restricted , he can not do its business anymore , he goes to bankrout.

:o Unless paypal can prove that the money was from fraudulent activity, they have to give it back. Guy should have sued. That's a lot more than a small claims... :mad:

Edited by stardust4ever

impossible to reach them by telephone.

Where are you located? I've never had a problem contacting PayPal by phone. Honestly, their process is pretty painless. You log in to your account, choose to contact them by phone and they give you the phone number and a unique support call. A rep will pick up within only a couple minutes. I can personally verify this process in Canada, USA, UK, Germany, Hong Kong and Australia.

Ebay allows homebrews. If you put "repro" in your auction or keywords, expect it to be pulled in short order.

:o Unless paypal can prove that the money was from fraudulent activity, they have to give it back. Guy should have sued. That's a lot more than a small claims... :mad:

For NES I have had EVERY auction with the word Homebrew pulled. This has been at least a dozen times before I figured out is was NES specific. For Atari I have never had one pulled, same goes for other systems (sega/etc..)