IGNORED

Carol vs. The World 2014 Championship

DZ-Jay

My step daughter decided to go into labour last night, and my wife and I were pulled into emergency "grandparent duty" to take care of their five year-old son, Victor R.. This morning, he saw the box of Christmas Carol on the table and commented that it looked like "Minecraft" (which apparently is the only low-res graphical display kids nowadays have ever seen :roll: ) and he wanted to play. After trying for all of 40 seconds, he complained that it was too hard and gave up.

I played a few levels and showed him the cut-scenes and the other stages and he decided to play some more. He managed to get the hang of it, enough to pass the first level. He event devised his own strategy to avoid the Ghost: when the Ghost comes too close, he manœuvres Carol into a corner and stands still, waiting for the Ghost to finish his bit and go away. :)

His final high score was 86 points on level #2. Good job, Victor R.!

post-27318-0-50492900-1418908399_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Christmas Carol Fun Fact:

The "Boss Level" was originally intended to have Carol find a twiggy snowman arm and use it to beat the Bad Toy as a bonus, sort of like a Donkey Kong hammer. Then, at the end of the level, the Bad Toy explodes and Carol must light up the stick with the sparks and melt the frozen "ice-cube" Ghost in order to complete the stage. Oh, and if you walked too close to the center during the level, the "ice-cube" Ghost would shake violently and still one of your presents!

Well, that turned out to be much too difficult to implement, not to mention very complicated. The game-play mechanics were significantly different from the existing ones that I didn't think it was practical. So the Bad Toy stayed, the Snowball stayed, the shaking "ice-cube Ghost" stayed (but without the ability to steal presents); and the rest was put in the end-game cut-scene as a little movie. That was hard enough to get right, but in the end it all worked out.

Still, people want a torch to melt the Snowman. :lol:

Very interesting.

It reminds me one of the early and crazy ideas I had about the custom game.

I imagined the ice-cube Ghost joining forces with the snowball to fight the bad toy.

Snowman would 'regain' his body by jumping onto the ice-cube Ghost. The team thus formed would attack the bad toy but could harm Carol if they touched her.

Then I thought ice-cube Ghost + snowball would be very tall and wouldn't fit twisted toyland narrow spaces and I had other ideas too. ;-)

• Like 2

His final high score was 86 points on level #2. Good job, Victor R.!

attachicon.gifentry-0263.jpg

Welcome Victor R to the competition. Practice will make you better.

The ghost is sneaky but it only comes after you when you pick up a gift AND it (the ghost) is moving.

Sometimes it is a good idea to wait until the ghost stops to pick up a gift ;)

Cheers from Belgium, the land of the smurfs...

• Like 1

Phew! So much activity... and I realized I missed a few entries from Wednesday. In particular, First Spear's initial entry.

So... Welcome First Spear! That's not a bad score for a first try. As I keep reminding everyone, most of the veterans here started with scores more humble than that. In any case, in the CvW Championship, every score is a high score! :)

Welcome Victor R to the competition. Practice will make you better.

The ghost is sneaky but it only comes after you when you pick up a gift AND it (the ghost) is moving.

Sometimes it is a good idea to wait until the ghost stops to pick up a gift ;)

Cheers from Belgium, the land of the smurfs...

Thank you, Oscar G., I'll make sure to tell him your message. In fact, my step-daughter decided to hold out on giving birth for another day, and Victor R. spent another night over at Mr. DZ's and Ms. Shera's (that's what he calls us). So, he got to play some more and completed the first stage!

For that he earned a Snowman sticker, which he proudly wore to Kindergarten on his shirt.

Entry name: Victor R.

Score: 154

Level: 3

post-27318-0-32812500-1418994572_thumb.jpg

(Oh, and by the way, I am now officially a "grandpa." Bleh! :P )

• Like 2

OK, so the first year I played this (2012) I managed to achieve Ranger status (Level 36 - 3152). Last year (2013), despite my best efforts, I only managed to reach Helper status (Level 32 - 3150). I suspected that I would be doomed to Helper again this year, but tonight I prevailed!

My personal best score ever.

Great job, JasonlikesINTV! It's great to see you advancing through the ranks with all that practice. Unlike some other elves who like to camp out in the lower ranks... :ponder: You know who you are, Santa's keeping an eye out on you! :P

• Like 1

Haven't been playing the game due to schoolwork and holiday travel, but I'm still in the competition! I just got finished playing my first game in a while, and I almost beat my high score! Please don't bother posting this score to the leaderboard, DZ-Jay. I'm just posting this to show that I haven't stepped out of the competition.

post-34393-0-19207200-1419000037_thumb.png

post-34393-0-13568400-1419000044_thumb.png

post-34393-0-77779800-1419000051_thumb.png

• Like 2

No worries. The leaderboard is automatically updated with the highest score and level submitted by a player. This ensures that only your best work will be exhibited. However, we encourage all to share their progress, even if they can't beat their best score. All the entries go into the database, and the achievements are calculated from it. :)

And by the way, good job on those perfects!

-dZ.

Let me make that clear to all, just to be sure: Posting a lower score than your previous one will not lower your ranking. You can submit any and all scores, in any order and magnitude, and your highest one will determine your position in the leaderboard.

Likewise with the levels: your highest level attained will determine your rank in the leaderboard. Even if your new highest score is on a lower level than before, you retain your rank.

Santa only counts progress forwards, never backwards. ;)

Now, get cracking and post some scores! :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Fuuuuuuu......!!!!!! I am doomed to never get 2000 points

image.jpg

Last year I hit a similar wall. I played countless games, but could never beat the Robot level the second time around. dZ thought I was intentionally holding back, but I just sucked :) I'm not sure what happened this year. I guess I got lucky a few times. I'm hoping to do even better in the next few weeks depending on how much I can play.

My advice....watch some videos of Liduario playing and try to match his patterns on practice mode. Definitely utilize the practice mode for the levels you struggle with to master your technique. I play better when I'm relaxed and not bound to my bad repetitive habits. Good luck!

Also, one thing that really helped me was mastering how the effects of picking up snowflakes and presents affect the snowman and the ghost. The Ghost reverses direction when you pick up a Present. The Snowman temporarily chases the Ghost when you pick up a Snowflake. Knowing this, you can slightly time when you actually pick these up to help your situation.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 2

Actually i know how to get a perfect in every round. I even had perfect in both twisted toylands on this game as well. I never watched videos to study them. My problems mostly are when i try to go say up i may go left right or down. Also my thumb gets very cramped playing this.

• Like 1

Actually i know how to get a perfect in every round. I even had perfect in both twisted toylands on this game as well. I never watched videos to study them. My problems mostly are when i try to go say up i may go left right or down. Also my thumb gets very cramped playing this.

this is exactly why I use a 4-way joystick, it really helps

I also just go for presents after I go through once

Edited by grips03
  • Like 2