IGNORED

Thank you Jeff Minter. All hail the Yak. King of the Webs.

CyranoJ

If Llamatron has the blessing of Jeff Minter, then I wonder if this game could be brought to completion, polished up, and released on cartridge?

With regard to implementing "twin stick" movement and firing controls, I would suggest the joypad on player 1 controller for movement, with the following user-selectable options for firing:

1. Joypad on player 2 controller in normal orientation (especially good for those with arcade sticks)

2. Joypad on player 2 controller in upside-down orientation (turn the whole controller upside down, and use your right thumb to press the joypad--try it!)

3. Buttons and/or numeric keypad on player 1 controller (redefinable by the user--this would allow ProController buttons to be used as well)

Jeff still does excellent work today. I bought TxK for PlayStation Vita the very day it was released last year, and it was also one of my motivating factors for my recent purchase of a PlayStation TV system. I'd love to try his VR-enabled versions someday as well!

• Like 2

OK sample player fixed about as good as it's going to get.

Different frequency playback trapped and emulated.

Pause [PAUSE] and resume [OPTION] along with the magic fractal key - emulated.

UP/DOWN on main menu for 1/2 players

LEFT/RIGHT on main menu for AI droid on/off

Enjoy!

Llamatron.ABS

The more I dig into this, the more I'm impressed! The sample player is genius, and this is probably the earliest game I've seen using self building immediate sprite routines!

• Like 5

I must say fantastic job getting this going on the Jag - that's something I never thought I'd see!

I remember Richard Miller at Atari telling me how he received a copy of Rude Llamatron from me and he tried it on his office TT - he said he was playing it and all the regular samples were playing loudly and his secretary came in to see what was making the noises, and as she entered the room he died and the game yelled out "Bollocks! Pissflaps! Cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt! You bastard! Fuckpig!" and his secretary fled from the room }:-D

I can't claim credit for the sample playing code, IIRC I robbed that from some code that came with a sampling doohickey I had that I used for making the samples. As for the sprites, I remember I had the game running at one point but it was way too slow and did a complete rewrite of the sprite routines to get it how it was in the final game. Sprites exploding Robotron-style was my main goal back then :).

Top work from CvranoJ here!

• Like 23

I must say fantastic job getting this going on the Jag - that's something I never thought I'd see!

I remember Richard Miller at Atari telling me how he received a copy of Rude Llamatron from me and he tried it on his office TT - he said he was playing it and all the regular samples were playing loudly and his secretary came in to see what was making the noises, and as she entered the room he died and the game yelled out "Bollocks! Pissflaps! Cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt! You bastard! Fuckpig!" and his secretary fled from the room } :-D

I can't claim credit for the sample playing code, IIRC I robbed that from some code that came with a sampling doohickey I had that I used for making the samples. As for the sprites, I remember I had the game running at one point but it was way too slow and did a complete rewrite of the sprite routines to get it how it was in the final game. Sprites exploding Robotron-style was my main goal back then :).

Yak, thanks for letting CvranoJ do this conversion of Llamatron!

post-2841-0-40738700-1422829587_thumb.png

Edited by walter_J64bit
  • Like 8

And thank you, Yak, for stopping by our stomping grounds here on atariage and letting CyranoJ port Llamatron over to the Jaguar for us die hard Jaguar fans. Btw, I love your coding style, all your colorful games and beautiful lightsynthesizers - it reminds me of lsd, mushrooms and the peace and love of the 1960s hippie culture. lol

• Like 2

I remember Richard Miller at Atari telling me how he received a copy of Rude Llamatron from me and he tried it on his office TT - he said he was playing it and all the regular samples were playing loudly and his secretary came in to see what was making the noises, and as she entered the room he died and the game yelled out "Bollocks! Pissflaps! Cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt! You bastard! Fuckpig!" and his secretary fled from the room } :-D

Thanks Jeff, that means a lot. This is a great game! Every time I tested something I was patching for Jaguar in it I'd end up playing it (even when it was broken!) LOL.

I still remember handing you 5GPB for this at an Atari show (in the Novotel?) London :)

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 8

Also, I need to hand out some other credits here - for Llamatron and all the other ST ports this month.

SCPCD / Jagware - for the insanely optimized planar to chunky conversion routine.

LinkoVitch / U235 - for the U235 Sound Engine.

ggn for the additional support / testing / bug-finding / helping sort through raw 68000 code.

ZeroSquare - for some very nice audio work.

None of these would be possible without the above, they are all vital pieces of the puzzle.

• Like 11

to me that's always an indication that a game is going right, if when you start testing you end up just playing :).

We had such a great response to the shareware release of this game back then. It was amazing, people really loved that we'd released this game on trust for a fiver.

These days you release something on iOS and people will complain if you dare charge 69p for it. Times change I guess }:-].

Aphex Twin still owes me a fiver. I did come close to collecting it in 2002 but it didn't work out }:-D.

Can't wait to try this on a real Jag. And no, the Jag controllers weren't the worst in the world, for all that they were large and unusual.

Surely the worst must have been the controllers on the Amiga CD-Rom game console.

• Like 11

to me that's always an indication that a game is going right, if when you start testing you end up just playing :).

We had such a great response to the shareware release of this game back then. It was amazing, people really loved that we'd released this game on trust for a fiver.

These days you release something on iOS and people will complain if you dare charge 69p for it. Times change I guess }:-].

Aphex Twin still owes me a fiver. I did come close to collecting it in 2002 but it didn't work out } :-D.

Can't wait to try this on a real Jag. And no, the Jag controllers weren't the worst in the world, for all that they were large and unusual.

Surely the worst must have been the controllers on the Amiga CD-Rom game console.

Is this address and donation opportunity still open? And whats a british fiver in american dollars?

• Like 2

Now that I remember it, since diagonals on the jagpad suck a bit (well, a lot!), people might want to try playing alongside with the AI droid. If I'm not mistaken, press left/right on the menu and it'll switch between 1 player and 1 player/AI. Oh and up/down for 1/2 players. Also, I dunno if CJ mentioned it yet but if you select a 1-player game and press fire on pad 2, you get twinstick which is ORGASMIC on ST with joysticks (dunno if it's that fun with 2 jagpads though :)).

Just thought I'd mention these now that I remembered!

Edited by ggn
  • Like 1

Also, I dunno if CJ mentioned it yet but if you select a 1-player game and press fire on pad 2, you get twinstick which is ORGASMIC on ST with joysticks (dunno if it's that fun with 2 jagpads though :)).

You might have waited for me to emulate that first.... like.. in the binary below....

Llamatron.ABS

Also...

2,3,5,8 on DPAD1 will move the screen around, because I've seen a few pictures where it wasn't centered. So now you can center it.

I've also converted two of the most called sprite routines to the GPU, so PAL sufferers can hopefully get up to speed. As usual, let me know.

And 'if you enjoy this game and would like to see more and better stuff from Jeff in this format, please support him by paying Llamasoft a 5GBP Shareware fee' (BAAAAAAAAAH!) and maybe, just maybe, I'll look at Revenge of the Mutant Camels and GridRunner next :)

• Like 9

5.00 Great British Pounds (GBP)

5.00 GBP = 7.53763 USD British Pound US Dollar 1 GBP = 1.50753 USD 1 USD = 0.663338 GBP

Source - http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=5.00&From=GBP&To=USD

If you want to be fair, use the inflation calculator with 1991 as the initial date, you get $13.00 :0)

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

• Like 1