IGNORED

If you could change one thing about an existing Jaguar title...

Rick Dangerous

A lot of good points but What's up with the hate for Syndicate's Zoom? I mean it is useless so I never used it, but it's not like it is breaking the game. The slowdowns do as they do in theme park and I am sure it wasn't necessary. So I would change that.

Multiplayer for the IS games as in BS would be great. Mega destruction Party with 16 consoles:)

Make the power ups in Atari karts to be sprites and not textures and as someone said, make them useful.

Add music to Attack of the mutant penguins, Cybermorph and some others that could need it. Highlander maybe I got sick of its ambient sounds.

Make Skyhammer save properly and not crash everything else is quite alright even with slowdowns

Is hiring a programmer that can't write music into a game that has PC music for a system touting 64 bits, when a 32 bit computer can play it, not sabotage? I think the real team behind Doom stood to make more off of the Doom/Doom 2 PC double packs all over the place rather than worry about an already sinking ship that was the Jag in it's own time! Not conspiracy, and yes, people sabotage things! They could have told someone that the companies reputation was on the line, but as it sits it makes the system look like it can't handle it's own titles! I didn't think it really was as much an act of sabotage as an act of throwing something out the door unfinished. I very much enjoy the PC games music and play it by itself with the sound effects turned down because I like my midi that has nice little violin sounds and a real orchestrated feel to it. I also felt this way about the Jaguars music. It didn't stop me from buying it eventually, but I think that if the original team for Doom was going to suffer at all from the sales of the Jag port, they would have stuck a foot in and said "Wait, we NEED MUSIC during the GAME!"!

I also think that if my suggestion is sabotage then every single arcade to NES port that was ever made (with the exception of Gyruss, which is considerably better than the arcade version) would also have to be shoes being thrown into the machine!! When companies were forced to sign on with Nintendo to sell a watered down version of their awesome Z80 and 68000 based games it was quite a downgrade to the art within the programs, the music, and in many cases the playability of the game. This was to protect the profits of Nintendo and not to better suit the companies who could have sided with other hardware manufacturers simultaneously and made even more profit and directed the consumer away from Nintendo.

The Sega Genesis did this to the western world programmers when they refused to license already existing 68000 games like Desert Strike, Bubsy, Road Rash and so many other long cartridge style unlicensed titles! The companies wanted more profit from the already existing titles, while Sega wanted to protect their own programs like Hang On or Afterburner II from being passed over for games like F-15 or Road Rash. I don't know if it's sabotage, but the Genesis versions of those games are extremely good and must have cut into profits for Sega!

So, yeah..I think that if a 64 bit system with great midi sound can't play music on a 32 bit computer game port it STINKS, sabotage or not, and if you hire a programmer who can't code the music into the game in motion it seems like a big shoe thrown into the machine!

32 bit RISC CPUs that drop textures to maintain framerate always perked up my eyebrow, as I was never a really big fan of the Playstation! The competition at the time did not do this type of stuff and rather halved the RAM of already existing Arcade titles (like the Saturn and the Dreamcast arcade ports) to bring the console versions out. More people bought the PS because of the Sony marketing machine.

I was (and still am, to a degree) a 'made in the U.S.A' enthusiast when the Jag first came out, so I thought "Oh, loyalists will support this no matter what!"! If they had, then would Atari have signed on a ton more PC to Cartridge ports? I think so! Would we have ever seen a Square game on the system? Who knows?

"Sabotage" is not the word you're looking for, which literally means "deliberately destroy, damage, or obstruct (something), especially for political or military advantage." There was nothing deliberate or malicious about it. The point I think you're more or less trying to make (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the Jaguar was a second (or third) class citizen in terms of allocated resources (whatever those may be, financial, talent, etc.), be it from Atari themselves or third parties. In that regard, I don't think you'll find anyone who disputes that.

Hey, did you learn the root meaning of sabotage from Star Trek VI? :lol:

"I didn't think it really was as much an act of sabotage as an act of throwing something out the door unfinished".

This. And par for the course when it came to Jag releases. Would also explain the buggy link feature.

Actually sabo means "shoe" and tage means "throw" or "toss"..

I agree that the Jag didn't get the 'citizenship' it deserved, yes..

..I will program on it, though!! :D

What it "deserved" is open for debate. It didn't necessarily offer anything compelling over the competition and the design of the original controllers was questionable. Really, it was up to Atari (as it is all console creators) to lead the way, which they failed to do on several fronts. With that said, we probably didn't see the platform's full potential realized, which is always unfortunate when that happens. It's much more fulfilling as a gamer to see hardware pushed the way it was meant to be.

My 'hate' for the Zoom mode in Syndicate is that it really is pointless.If your going to add extra features to a version, i'd rather they were useful, so it's more the 1 thing i'd change...about Jaguar Syndicate.It's a cracking version and yes, frame rate could be better, but it did'nt stop me enjoying the game/getting to final mission, i just wish developers had put something useful in, Jaguar specific, or not had it in at all.

Like O.P said, this is just a bit of fun.

My 'hate' for the Zoom mode in Syndicate is that it really is pointless.If your going to add extra features to a version, i'd rather they were useful, so it's more the 1 thing i'd change...about Jaguar Syndicate.It's a cracking version and yes, frame rate could be better, but it did'nt stop me enjoying the game/getting to final mission, i just wish developers had put something useful in, Jaguar specific, or not had it in at all.

Like O.P said, this is just a bit of fun.

Yeah no worries, I just wondered that two people picked up on something that can be completly ignored. It's not as if the game forces you to use it but I agree that they could have chosen something cooler for the Jag specific version. My comment wasn't that serious as you can see I participated with my own ideas of what I would like to change in some games.

• Like 1

:-) If there's any such Tin Foil Hat thread created, i feel it must be called:The Jaguar:We woz robbed (blind).

In it surely must go how different things would have been IF only Atari more Jaguars ready at launch (this would nicely gloss over FACT that in Dec'94 Sony was woo-ing around 100 developers behind closed doors with the then only 30% complete PS1 chipset demo's, sign your NDA, then we'll let you see it).

Quake, Tomb Raider, Daytona USA etc all perfectly do-able on Jaguar.

And clunky, months after other systems conversions would have turned everything around.

Oh and Panther would have bought Atari time it needed.

Don't think i've missed anything.

Look, i've turned my tin foil hat into a little sailing boat.

Not a serious post...

• Like 1

Atari just didn't have the money to launch the Jag. They tried a re-launch with the Sega lawsuit money, but it looks like the Tramiel's changed their mind and took what money they had left and ran. Really no conspiracy and the whole Tomb Raider and Quake stuff seemed to be fabricated by the UK gaming press, not by Atari fans.

• Like 2

Having that typical inability to restrict things to just one title... here's a general list:

1. Make BattleSphere a currently licensed and produced title via SongBird or similar etc. Almost criminal shame that this quality title is out of reach for the sane gaming majority

2. Battlemorph - Cartridge Version (like Dr Clu said)

3. Checkered Flag - framerate and playability

4. Club Drive - CPU opponents to race against!

5. Doom - music and better resolution

5. Fight for Life - should've ported VF1 instead

6. Iron Soldier II on Cart - Music please!

7. Pitfall - framerate please!

8. Raiden - rapid fire option, increased in game fire rate and better frame rate

9. Ruiner - pseudo-analog flipper control (more like PF)

10. Supercross 3D - framerate

11. Total Carnage - proper support for Pro Controller (SNES style 8-way fire face buttons)

12. Ultra Vortek - 60fps

13. Wolf3D - Knife and stealth elements retained

Maybe more ;)

• Like 2

Like most...

Doom: Music and network code that isn't buggy.

Checkered Flag: The control.

Club Drive: Smooth out the graphics. Have the two player race mode in San Francisco be like the single player level. Jag-Link compatible.

Towers II: Have the maps save completely. Jag-Link co-op mode. Have the original Towers game as a hidden Easter egg.

Wolfenstein: Jag-Link for co-op and death match.

Cybermorph: In game music.

Pitfall The Mayan Adventure: Have the Atari 8-bit version of Pitfall II as an Easter egg instead of Pitfall.

Syndicate: Have the full intro and cut scenes from the Amiga version.

Already done. Its still a shit game.

To 'fix' the steering it's the frame rate and input lag that need addressing as playing in Virtual Jaguar shows. Maybe they had the game control the way it does in an attempt to work around these problems, or maybe it was just what they had when the decision was made to stop working and ship it.

AVP wise:I'd have prefered a fallback/last ditch (ie pretty bloody useless, but beter than nowt..) weapon, kinda personal sidearm, maybe pistol? or even a grenade, ie 'im going out, but i'm taking these bastards with me' type scenario.

More could of been done with the Alien Campain, maybe more along lines of Colony stuff, i dunno, it just was'nt a campain i spent time with or returned to.

Nothing at all otherwise, the Jaguar would have been so successful that Nintendo, Sega and Sony would have run into bankrupcy for long and the Xbox would have never existed :D

Today there would habe been no other choice than Atari in consoles :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The more I think about this, there is at least one thing that could be changed about most jaguar games, and games in general, to make them a little better. Some out there do get it 100% right but it's definitely the exception not the rule.

I was playing Worms last night, and reflecting on how awesome it is and how we are lucky to even have a port of it on the Jaguar.

The one thing I would add, and I can't believe it doesn't have is a battery backup save feature. Its such a no-brainer for this type of game. Putting in you teams names each time is a pain, it would be nice to be able to save team stats, and how about an ongoing league play save? Oh well, still fun enough as is.

Most people complain about how you have to pass the controller around for four player worms. I learned recently that that was a franchise thing all the way up to the first Worms on Dreamcast. The second Dreamcast Worms (World Party I think?) finally let you use four controllers..

I would add a fist or knife to AvP as well. I hate running out of ammo and just standing there like an idiot while some alien mauls me to death.... even the option to "buttstroke" with the rifle would be nice.

Or the ability to jump over those damned acid pools the Alien's leave behind. Wha, wait… it's acid… shouldn't it be eating its way down through floors, etc.? Hop over a hole or acid. Nah… let's just make the player trudge right through the standing acid. Yeah, that makes sense! :lol: