IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Wow, that was quick! So that probably means that they've gone back to the previous BeagleBone Black design.

It'll be interesting to see if they've ditched the expensive FPGA and just decided to focus on the Unity steam-games-on-a-cart collector crowd, or if they're still trying to be all-things-to-all-people.

It's hard to believe that they'll go with Woita's desired FPGA system and just concentrate on targeting people like me ... at this point I suspect that most of us old-folks would rather just wait to see what Kevtris comes up with.

Agreed. it looks like a steam-in-a-cart machine is in it's infancy, not the FGPA machine we desired

Agreed. it looks like a steam-in-a-cart machine is in it's infancy, not the FGPA machine we desired

If that's what it takes to get the console back to $150, then they have a chance. The average consumer and their potential backers neither know nor care about FPGAs, it is not a selling point to them. It is a selling point to us but our group is more inclined to support Kevtris and would only use the RVGS' FPGA to compare and ridicule against Kevtris' console. Maybe it'll hurt the RVGS to take out the FPGA after it was teased in the first campaign, but even so a $150 console will sell much more than a second attempt at a $250-300 console that's lost all of its good will.

More relevant for us in Retroland, the XRGB-Mini Framemeister is an FPGA inside, the Retron5 has a tiny one to handle the multiple cart connections, and the Everdrive/SD2SNES are FPGAs inside. There's quite a bunch around :)

Wow. I never knew that.

• Like 3

But can they buy back goodwill with promo codes for Retro magazine? (honestly, this thread is way more entertaining than anything they could hope to produce)

..... I put my name down to see what the free RETRO magazine looked like, because I genuinely hoped that it would hold interesting retro gaming content. Ironically enough page 2 of socal Mike's magazine features a full page OUYA advertisement

• Like 1

It may have been mentioned 100 pages or so back, but a finished open FPGA box called MiST already exists and is shipping:

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96

It already supports quite a few machines, with more cores being ported all the time: NES, Atari 800, 2600, 5200, ST, ColecoVision, SMS, PC Engine, Amiga, C64, Apple II, Genesis...

Unless they get Kevtris on board, I'm holding out for a Zumba 3000. :grin:

• Like 4

I think it is time for me to come clean.

I am the new member on the Retro VGS team. As some of you may know, I have a background in ***tech, which primes me for replacing John Carlsen. I will be in charge of hardware development and I will also head the department that is poised to make sure that games are fault free.

I have earlier worked on several projects, including work on a small thing.

The new motto is: "YOU are going to buy it all day long"

See you on KS!

Nicholas

• Like 5

Unless they get Kevtris on board, I'm holding out for a Zumba 3000. :grin:

Nothing stops Kevtris from compiling and releasing cores for it without giving out the source. I'm sure several people would pitch in to get him a board if he was willing to take that route.

But I guess its more fun to design one own's box, and in any case its good to have diversity.

Ah, but are you an "aggressive hands on engineering manager from Silicon Valley?"

I meant "smoke and mirrors"...*embarassed smiley*

Yes, as a matter of fact I am! Also, I just finished an iron man to show the corporate world that I mean BUSINESS!!!

• Like 3

The Kevtris Zimba Field Programmable Gate Array 3000 Multi Videogame Simulating Machine

TKZFPGA3000 for short.

Still a better Name for a System than naming the third xbox console an xbox one.

And Don't even get me started on the WiiU.

Even Retro VGS and Zimba 3000 are not that bad if you just look at what These companies have been doing...

Now "Kevtris" sounds totally rad.

• Like 3