IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

I'm not interested in padding the coffers of some imaginary company that has done nothing for me. It sounds like they want a good portion of the pledges to go toward paying working salaries.

But hey! If they got Konami on board, maybe there'll be a Gyruss sequel.

• Like 1

That Retro Gamer Q&A is interesting because he says "we will have a prototype in the next few weeks" which isn't good news for the RGR podcast. True to their word, the last podcast wasn't about the RVGS and so that episode is probably going to air a month from now. By then they might be playing with very outdated information, I said it before that delaying that episode was a big mistake. Then again, I shouldn't have to tell you to take Mike's promise with a heavy grain of salt.

One more thing, the RVGS Indiegogo campaign FINALLY ends tonight at around midnight depending on where you are. Good lord that's a long campaign, can you imagine if it actually went that long without being abandoned?

• Like 1

One more thing, the RVGS Indiegogo campaign FINALLY ends tonight at around midnight depending on where you are. Good lord that's a long campaign, can you imagine if it actually went that long without being abandoned?

Looks like I'll be getting my $10 back soon... :grin:

Time to bury this dead horse:

http://crowdcharts.com/campaign/retro-vgs/daily

That Retro Gamer Q&A is interesting because he says "we will have a prototype in the next few weeks" which isn't good news for the RGR podcast. True to their word, the last podcast wasn't about the RVGS and so that episode is probably going to air a month from now. By then they might be playing with very outdated information, I said it before that delaying that episode was a big mistake.

I really don't think they really give a damn about when they're covering it. I don't think they're operating on the YouTube clickbait philosophy. They just do their Thing, if People watch it fine, if they don't, whatever. This is for the People who actually care, not for the yolo YouTube Kids or the hipster colectards. So they're going to tell People what happened, and that's it. If they WERE actually operating on the Youtube mindset, first Thing they'd BE on YouTube. lol.

I'm also disappointed that the RGR folks haven't told their story yet, but in an odd way, it might turn out to be more timely to air that information next month (or whenever they end up airing it) instead of immediately after the demise of the Indiegogo campaign.

For those who haven't been following the RVGS project closely, memories of exactly how bad it was (both in its concept and its execution) will begin to recede as time passes, especially as the next "iteration" of the project gets its own press. Having a new insider retrospective from RGR at just that moment will be a useful reminder that there are deeper problems with the project than a flawed fundraising campaign—problems that, given their evident lack of introspection, are unlikely to have been worked out before the second campaign (if there is one).

• Like 1

If they WERE actually operating on the Youtube mindset, first Thing they'd BE on YouTube. lol.

They ARE on YouTube, lol.

retrogamingroundup_8bit.jpg

Which one do you guys think is Mike? I'm thinking it's the guy in the back wearing Kim Kardashian's ass as a hat.

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 8

Which one do you guys think is Mike? I'm thinking it's the guy in the back wearing Kim Kardashian's ass as a hat.

Is that a roundabout way of calling Mike an asshat??? There we go again, still festering with negativity toward this project ... all because we're out to ruin classic gaming!

(j/k)

I'm not interested in padding the coffers of some imaginary company that has done nothing for me. It sounds like they want a good portion of the pledges to go toward paying working salaries.

But hey! If they got Konami on board, maybe there'll be a Gyruss sequel.

Gyruss is amazing. Gotta love the NES port of the game. once you find the right control method for yourself this game is addictive. The music always gets me pumping.

41615_front.jpg

• Like 1

Gyruss is amazing. Gotta love the NES port of the game. once you find the right control method for yourself this game is addictive. The music always gets me pumping.

41615_front.jpg

Yeah make sure you're playing with the Tempest control style. The four quadrants style of control sucks ass. Great hidden gem for the NES. I need to play it more. I heard if you input the Konami code "esrever ni," you'll get a boat-load of extra lives.

• Like 1

Ugh; still with the name dropping. Quit insinuating Sega or Capcom or Konami will have ANYTHING to do with this. The only mistake he made, apparently, was launching without a prototype on Indiegogo. Everything else, clearly, was ROCK SOLID.

Mike; c'mon. You are still perpetuating the same exact mistakes. Your credibility is in desperate need of rehab; quit with the name dropping, already!

I still can't believe that he was saying that the NG:DEV Team are on board as well. It's hard to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, when he has demonstrated that he has no shame when it comes to releasing misleading information. NG: DEV Team left no room for misinterpretation that they didn't want to be involved in any future endevour. If anything, being associated with Mike would unfortunately damage their brand and the goodwill that NG:Dev team have built up with retro games.

Mike also mentions "it is exciting to think that we can lower the price of Neo-Geo ports". If you didn't know the facts about the console and the history of the development, then you would be left to believe that this thing still had the FGPA and cores of a Neo Geo console - especially considering his earlier claims that this would be included in the system.

I actually would have liked Mike to have swallowed his pride, regrouped and developed a real product to the niche market. It is hard to imagine it possible that Mike will succeed with the approach of outright lying, misleading and exaggerating claims to potential customers.

I still can't believe that he was saying that the NG:DEV Team are on board as well. It's hard to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, when he has demonstrated that he has no shame when it comes to releasing misleading information. NG: DEV Team left no room for misinterpretation that they didn't want to be involved in any future endevour. If anything, being associated with Mike would unfortunately damage their brand and the goodwill that NG:Dev team have built up with retro games.

Mike also mentions "it is exciting to think that we can lower the price of Neo-Geo ports". If you didn't know the facts about the console and the history of the development, then you would be left to believe that this thing still had the FGPA and cores of a Neo Geo console - especially considering his earlier claims that this would be included in the system.

I actually would have liked Mike to have swallowed his pride, regrouped and developed a real product to the niche market. It is hard to imagine it possible that Mike will succeed with the approach of outright lying, misleading and exaggerating claims to potential customers.

If Mike hasn't learned his lesson yet, he probably never will. I'm concerned that this negative publicity will wreck any chances of future projects getting off the ground. Gamegavel and Retro mag were great ideas even if the final product was a bit underwhelming. I've searched games on the Gavel a few times but there's so little stuff up for sale I hardly ever find what I'm looking for. And my 2nd year subscription Retro mags have been mostly sitting unread so I probably won't renew. And I've only gotten like two or three issues out of the six they promised so far.

How many people really know anything about Neo Geo homebrews though? The Neo Geo FPGA inclusion always baffled me because it looked great on paper, but the cost in putting it in the system seems to be astronomical for a small group of people, not to mention it doesn't exist yet. I know literally nothing about the Neo Geo dev guys, but if they don't put their games onto actual Neo Geo CD which is actually legit and a more affordable way to attract buyers, what hopes does the RVGS team have in working with them to put out an affordable cart for their system when they're trying to still sell their own actual carts? And do these guys even really release that many games to begin with? Not saying their games don't seem cool and wouldn't sell somewhat, but it just all reeks of Retroland Kool-Aid. It's like these guys read off bullet points that were brainstormed up with little to no thought behind them and this Mike guy just spews it out like it's gospel. I keep bitching about it because he keeps doing it and no matter what they do, this shit is all going to just be brought up again in campaign #2, prototype or not, and it's gonna be the same dog and pony show all over.

I would just like to ask these guys, "Hey, I subscribe to Indiebox. I'm going to be getting physical, CIB Collector's Edition style copies of both of these games in the next two months... for $20 each. Explain to me why I need to buy a console for $200 and carts for God knows how much CIB compared to this:"

axiom-verge.png

screen3.png

Edited by bretthorror

Did the RVGS campaign get some troll pledges at the end?

It's showing:

$81,158USD
raised by 241 people in 1 month

Or are those overall numbers including canceled pledges?

I think it was probably fake pledges because it screwed up crowdcharts too. Their final numbers read:

$17,750 PLEDGED
69 BACKERS

Did the RVGS campaign get some troll pledges at the end?

It's showing:

Or are those overall numbers including canceled pledges?

I think it was probably fake pledges because it screwed up crowdcharts too. Their final numbers read:

I noticed that, too. It's weird because there is only one new $700 pledge within the last month, so maybe the final total really does include cancelled pledges. Even so, it's a pretty embarrassing finish to an embarrassing campaign:

retro_vgs_final.png

Something just occured to me... You know what I would do if I were in Mike's place? I would design a motherboard to put inside the Jag enclosure that would essentially be the cartridge-based console equivalent of a MAME cabinet. Each cartridge would contain the actual arcade ROM dump, and the console would run a faithful reproduction of the original arcade game via HDMI output. So it would be like a NeoGeo console, but with a wider library than just SNK titles.

The beauty of this proposition is that all Mike would need to do software-wise is score licenses for old arcade games, so that he can release them legally on cartridges. No new software to develop, just use the arcade ROMs as-is. I guess these ROMs could be slightly modified so that the high score tables would somehow be stored on the cartridges (using an EEPROM or whatever). That would be a nice feature.

The price of a cartridge would depend on the game: An old arcade game like Congo Bongo would sell for something like 10 bucks, while some of the more advanced arcade games (like Street Fighter II for example) would sell for around 30$ each.

I'm not sure what form the console hardware would take (a Linux machine running MAME would probably be best, although custom emulators would need to be programmed if MAME cannot be used because of legal issues) but I can't imagine this hardware being too costly to develop given's today's technology. An FPGA setup could also be devised, but then custom cores would have to be coded to cover the subtleties of each arcade game, and that would increase development costs. But each core could be stored on the cartridge and loaded into the FPGA at boot, and that could be an elegant solution.

I know this idea may sound rather lame, especially for those who already have a MAME cab or have MAME fully installed and running on their PCs, but it still think it's a better idea than trying to shoehorn "modern" indie games into a cartridge format like Mike wants to do.

• Like 1