IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Just a quick midnight update: they added six more backers and $1,624 yesterday, enough to recover their losses from the previous day and start Day 6 at 193 backers and $67,580 raised. They're still hovering at 3% of their goal, and the latest CrowdCharts prediction is that the campaign will end at $112,575, or 6% of their goal. According to my calculations, in order to make 100%, they'd have to raise at least ~$46K per day for the remainder of the campaign.

Here are their totals at the start of each day that I've been keeping track:

Day 3 (09/21): 172 backers, $60041 raised
Day 4 (09/22): 186 backers, $66188 raised, +$6147
Day 5 (09/23): 187 backers, $65956 raised, -$232
Day 6 (09/24): 193 backers, $67580 raised, +$1624

• Like 2

A working circuit board is the part they don't have. They seem to think it is the least important part.

Not having a prototype wouldn't be too bad if they showed a drawing of a routed PCB and/or schematics. That would be the least they could have done the last few months and would at least give an impression that they thought about the design and that they are ready to build a prototype. They must already have the design software as they showed a rendering of a "unrouted" PCB created in Altium so it can't be the costs.But they didn't even show a simple block diagram of the system.

Robert

• Like 3

Not having a prototype wouldn't be too bad if they showed a drawing of a routed PCB and/or schematics. That would be the least they could have done the last few months and would at least give an impression that they thought about the design and that they are ready to build a prototype. They must already have the design software as they showed a rendering of a "unrouted" PCB created in Altium so it can't be the costs.But they didn't even show a simple block diagram of the system.

They can't have a routed design if they're adding and subtracting FPGA's every 2nd day, and I can assure you that it would only be the tip of the iceberg. That PCB rendering was complete BS, discussed elsewhere on this forum.

I asked for a block diagram weeks ago, and it never went answered. The C-One had two FPGA's, three with the expander board, but it was still a stinking pile of poo. Depends on how it's all hooked up.

Edited by tcdev
  • Like 1

I do have a day job and a part time job after that to worry about (not to mention two sites to run). Otherwise, yes, I would be up all night editing this (I would be if it was Friday night).

Sorry, but I find this really hard to understand. Why does this have to be edited? Wouldn't just doing a live Podcast be much better?

Also, what are the RVGS Crew waiting for? If they have the Information, why isn't it on their IGG campaign page and on their official Website? ASAP

I have a Feeling we'll hear more deflecting and conjectures, and not the simple direct answer to the questions we want.

One Thing you should be able to tell us right now: Did they refuse to answer any of your questions?

• Like 1

Let him edit. Most of the podcasts out there are edited because when people are on the spot things can get boring, lose pace or just have an empty transition period.

I don't mind, If there's this much suspense, it must be good.

This might be the first "real" interview with these guys. All of the podcasts we've heard have just given them a platform and asked a few softball questions, partly because some of the hosts have a personal tie to the team and don't want to upset that (see AllGenGamers, RetroGamingRoundup), partly because they don't understand the tech, partly because they're unsure of how to react to this kind of idea for a product. Also this will be the first podcast interview after the IGG campaign when live.

• Like 4

What I can't understand is not really related to triverse, but more to the RVGS Team. The IGG page is up, they're asking for Money. They know what the community is asking. Why is this Information not up already? They should post all common questions' answers on Facebook ASAP and by the next day that stuff should make it to their own Website and IGG page.

So now they do a Podcast. That's great. But will they just really wait it out, and once htis is up just link it on Facebook and leave it at that? Is this what they call being transparent?

I hope I don't light a torch and go join the angry mob that wants to burn them down, but I'm seriously irritated with this behaviour.

But then again, I guess I already know the answer to all These question. I just don't want to believe it.

• Like 1

Robert

Yes indeed! If they at least had a blueprint of somethng that looked real, it would kill a lot of criticism.

• Like 1

What I can't understand is not really related to triverse, but more to the RVGS Team. The IGG page is up, they're asking for Money. They know what the community is asking. Why is this Information not up already? They should post all common questions' answers on Facebook ASAP and by the next day that stuff should make it to their own Website and IGG page.

There can't realistically be any major bombs for them to drop or anything. I just hope the interviewer pressed them for real information and not just matey PR fluff the other interviews have amounted to.

They have taken some steps to tidy up their campaign page. The game shop video went and it's just the sizzle and the molds videos now. That ridiculous chart is gone. There's more emphasis on games, without actually detailing how porting them might be possible and what compromises will have to be made in doing so to an offline box (modern pixelated indie games might look the part, but they also often feature the kinds of extended features games these days expect, much of it facilitated via a net connection).

They still deny the existence of the Vita TV/PlayStation TV "RETRO VGS is the first new video game system to play new games from cartridges in nearly twenty years.". Neither here nor there really as, despite its indie credentials and striking parallels of what it has delivered to what RVGS seems to want to deliver, the Vita is dead (or legacy as Sony put it), even if it did manage a higher install base than Wii U.

There's still stuff like this that basically mocks the industry they wish to tempt their way "Never patch a game. Games are tested thoroughly before release, just like they used to be." Surely the wording could be more tactful than that.

• Like 1

It's funny how nostalgia works on some People. I grew up on Atari 2600, NES, MSX Computers, even gamed on one of those old apple PCs. It's so easy to Claim the games are going to be amazing good like in the old times. Well, guess what. Most games weren't amazing good. Most were actually pretty much crap.

They also Forget that making a 8 bit game with no bugs is way easier than making a modern game with no bugs. They're charging 300 bucks for the console to bring those larger indie games into the platform as if it's going to be super easy to make them bug free.

They're not forgetting the Vita TV. They're forgetting EVERYTHING. You don't NEED to patch a PS4 game. If People wanted to make a physical release of an indie game for PS4, put it in a box complete with no online Support, no DLC, and bug free so you don't Need any patches they would. But they'd have to Charge you 30 bucks for a game that online would cost you 10, so it's pretty obvious what's the better choice.

You can also just sell your Windows or Linux PC game on a DVD, CD, thumb drive or SD Card, have it complete, with no online funktions, and sell it the same way. Or you can just sell it on GOG.com DRM free. If someone has a cartridge fetish, Needs to have sex with physical copies of games, they can get their DRM copy of the game, write it on Flash Memory, slap it into a cartridge Shell and go fulfill his sexual fantasies. I'm personally fine running the games from my SSD.

But it doesn'T end there. If somene has a game they're making for the SNES. Why the F*** do you Need a 300 bucks crazy ass hybrid retrotard/Emulation/ARM/ponyfarts System to make the game, when the SNES costs you 50 bucks? Or you can buy one of the many clone alternatives?

Seriously. I haven't been laughting at this and throwing rotten tomatoes for a while because of actual good will. Because I am already looking this from the most optimistic perspective possible. But even so it's pretty hard to justify. But with all the Major conceptual flaws this System has, they were able to pile up PR and technical incompetence? Seriously. I'm going to go AVGN here. This is like puking on a pile of shit.

But then some F* moron Comes along and says: "if you'Re not interested, why don't you just go away?" Because some People are trying to help These same morons to invest their Money in a rational manner.

Seriously. After they said they were going to put the 9 pin connectors in this I should have writen it of as some stupid Project from a bunch of clueless People. If it was an Emulator machine it would make perfect sense. But if the oficial Controller for the System has 2 analog sticks and 4 Trigger Buttons, why the hell do you want 9 pin connectors?

There are so many good USb Controllers out there, and so many Adapters to use almost any Controller at all through USB. What Kind of Retard stcks in These ports on a console when they're trying to Keep the Price down?!

I just can't take this anymore. Where's my torch?

Edited by leods
  • Like 6

Ermagerd, it's a spot-on parody

http://youtu.be/yH76tRLVTQw

I don't know Mike Kennedy, but I know he's come through on some projects and that at least some (if not many) people here respect him. The above video is another reason I believe it's time to just pull the plug and regroup before his reputation is irreparably damaged.

The video was clever and indeed hits close. But by the time the ISIS thing rolled around I just felt bad for not only Kennedy but also Woita and Carlsen.

Seriously. After they said they were going to put the 9 pin connectors in this I should have writen it of as some stupid Project from a bunch of clueless People. If it was an Emulator machine it would make perfect sense. But if the oficial Controller for the System has 2 analog sticks and 4 Trigger Buttons, why the hell do you want 9 pin connectors?

The 9-pin connectors are the vestigial remnants of the Retro VGS' former FPGA specs.

Though, I guess it may appeal to a niche (has favorite 9-pin controller) of a niche (wants modern retro games on carts) of a niche (likes modern retro games)?

I don't know about you, but I don't feel the faintest whiff of nostalgia over the bent pins of retro controller connectors. Nor do I pine for the day that I could have the privilege of buying an artificially scarce plastic box (with full color instruction booklet!) from behind a glass case in a pawn shop (ok, "retro game shop," if you must) rather than from a mainstream store.

I had not watched the original pitch video with the dead-eyed three stooges reading off the TelePrompTer in the game shop, but WOW, I am NOT buying what they're selling. The way they talk about firmware updates "separating people from their games" is like one of those silly infomercials where everything goes wrong. "There's got to be a better way!"

Perhaps someone with more time and talent than I could make a spoof of how much better the limited RVGS is SO much better than the highly available, well supported, and similarly priced PS4. After all, up to several times a year, you sometimes have to wait ENTIRE MINUTES while the system updates. And there is a possibility that in fifty years, you might not be able to play FIFA 2014 on PS4 hardware. But since cartridges are forever, we'll always have Trevor McFur on the Atari Jaguar! Winning! Quality over quantity!

• Like 1

Ahh, nostalgia. Remember when?

Hey guys!

I just wanted to address the cartridge pricing. We will be doing all manufacturing of both the consoles and cartridges here in the USA (PCB's however, will be contract manufactured and arrive to our facility as a sub assembly), under our own roof, in Southern California. Carts will be priced based on the games that are on them. For example, a new game from a fledgling indie or homebrew developer might be priced $19.99 while a popular franchise sequel might be $40-$50 depending on licensing costs mainly! And everything between. So the short answer are carts will be priced from $19.99 to $49.99.

We are targeting the console to be $149.99. The retail box will include the console with four controller ports ( x 2 USB for the x 2 pack-in controllers and x 2 9-Pin ports for classic controllers), a pack-in game (possibly up to three pack-in games only for Kickstarter buyers), HDMI cable (and possibly composite and/or S-Video too) and AC Adapter. There is a small chance this might have to price out at $179.99 based on system hardware which will be a gamers and developers delight. . . . but doing all we can to try and stay at that $150 price point.

More details will be revealed about system hardware and development criteria soon.

I just concluded my interview with the RETRO VGS team (all three members). There were some heated moments and some really tough questions were answered. I will be releasing the edited MP3 later this week (probably on Saturday) along with a transcription on my site and a Youtube vid with pertinent pics so that this reaches the maximum number of people. It is quite interesting. Some of the stuff answered include how they came to those funding amounts, where the prototype is and the bug in a published game situation among others.

I appreciate your hard work.

This concerns me: There were some heated moments

The lack of professionalism (lashing out at Kevtris here, bitching about other Kickstarter campaigns and Kickstarter itself and apparently being unable to answer hard questions without getting "heated") should really be concerning to any potential backers left. If these guys can't have a thick enough skin while explaining why you should be giving them your money... what happens when something goes wrong during manufacture? Who gets yelled at then? Will it be the backers' fault? Etc.

Maybe there's gonna be some new unheard of ideological funky pipedream where they're just playing the fool right now to garner even more press then ever imagined. And they're gonna slowly, purposefully, turn the ship around. Bring back their core developer. Butter him up. Give you more than $300 worth. And make the sunshine 24/7 around the globe. Could happen. :D

It's funny how nostalgia works on some People. I grew up on Atari 2600, NES, MSX Computers, even gamed on one of those old apple PCs. It's so easy to Claim the games are going to be amazing good like in the old times. Well, guess what. Most games weren't amazing good. Most were actually pretty much crap.

They also Forget that making a 8 bit game with no bugs is way easier than making a modern game with no bugs...

You're forgetting (or missed) the part where they said their games will be bug free because they're instructing the programmers not to include any.

• Like 6

In other searching around to see what's being said elsewhere, neo-geo.com saw this post detailing Kennedy's previous crowd funded project Retro Magazine. Reading that and looking at the Retro Magazine year 2 kickstarter page, it might be a blessing in disguise that RVGS isn't happening for the backers and the team alike. It looks like they began shipping out backer rewards a few weeks ago - 9 and a half months after the campaign ended - and only days before the RVGS was supposed to hit kickstarter itself? That wouldn't have looked good with a new campaign running, to have all that outstanding. It seems like in the 10 months or so they've shipped 3 of the 6 issues of the magazine and one free one (the missing one from the previous campaign?). If the comments section is anything to go by, struggling to manage 1200 backers and their magazines, badges and other trinkets is so difficult to accommodate, well, the neo-geo.com poster puts it best:

If Mike K. and his staff of 20+ "industry insiders" can't properly manage a video game magazine publication (especially after nearly 2 years... what the hell is taking so long to make a 72 page magazine???), what in God's good name could anyone expect Mike K. and TWO other "industry insiders" to effectively manage a VIDEO GAME SYSTEM?
  • Like 3

In other searching around to see what's being said elsewhere, neo-geo.com saw this post detailing Kennedy's previous crowd funded project Retro Magazine. Reading that and looking at the Retro Magazine year 2 kickstarter page, it might be a blessing in disguise that RVGS isn't happening for the backers and the team alike. It looks like they began shipping out backer rewards a few weeks ago - 9 and a half months after the campaign ended - and only days before the RVGS was supposed to hit kickstarter itself? That wouldn't have looked good with a new campaign running, to have all that outstanding. It seems like in the 10 months or so they've shipped 3 of the 6 issues of the magazine and one free one (the missing one from the previous campaign?). If the comments section is anything to go by, struggling to manage 1200 backers and their magazines, badges and other trinkets is so difficult to accommodate, well, the neo-geo.com poster puts it best:

It's what I was saying way back in this thread.

The magazine fanzine sucked quite frankly, I still think it improved over the two years but lets just say that after that kickstarter I felt a little duped and will not help fund anything they do again until after I see results.

• Like 4