IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Just a quick midnight update: they added six more backers and $1,624 yesterday, enough to recover their losses from the previous day and end at 193 backers and $67,580 raised. They're still hovering at 3% of their goal, and the latest CrowdCharts prediction is that they will end at $112,575, or 6% of their goal. According to my calculations, in order to make 100%, they'd have to raise at least ~$46K per day for the remainder of the campaign.

Here are their totals at the start of each day that I've been keeping track:

Day 3 (09/21): 172 backers, $60041 raised

Day 4 (09/22): 186 backers, $66188 raised, +$6147

Day 5 (09/23): 187 backers, $65956 raised, -$232

Day 6 (09/24): 193 backers, $67580 raised, +$1624

They were at 195 backers earlier today and around 69k, back to 193 and 66,990 now. I guess we'll know more about if/when they plan to throw in the towel when we hear the interview this weekend.

Yes, sorry, I should've been more positive about people asking for $2,000,000 when all they have to show for it are Jaguar cases, an OEM controller and 3D videos. I should be more positive like all the people who are putting them within inches of their IGG goal. I'm such an idiot, thank you for showing me the error of my ways. I'll now go donate $1,000 to the campaign because you've made me realize that positive thoughts can make the RVGS come true.

Okay, I see your point. I just always wonder why forum members have to single others out like that. That was some out-of-the-blue baggage or something. At least Keatah's offered the occasional optimism. You jumped all over the Retro VGS guys before any details were even publicized. And it's certainly not only you.

One can refuse to support something and still refrain from spewing an endless stream of crass insults. Why even pay attention if you've given up on it? Again, I'm not singling you out -- it's almost as if some people get angry when others try to accomplish things. There's some interesting sour-grapes psychology going on there.

I understand why all of the VGS mistakes, flippancy and fake-prototype nonsense have caused a lot of potentially interested backers to...well, turn their backs, but why keep up the childish spear-jabbing over and over, and then irrelevantly ask people to stop quoting someone who hasn't been nearly as nasty as you? Maybe it's just a matter of incomprehension on my part. Fair enough. I certainly don't know everything.

I guess this thread just represents the opposite of some things that I dig about the old-game community. We should be supporting each other's attempts at great things, even if it's only to permit failure without massive invective. You're allowed to fail, you know? "I hope you learn from all the dumb mistakes you've made. We're behind you if you try again someday and omit all of the disingenuous hype." Even if that doesn't cover everything that you cats are pissed off about, that attitude just seems more conducive to others' future attempts at cool projects than "HAHAHA! YOU SUCK!" or whatever.

• Like 4

I didn't chime in when I had the chance, but I guess my main question is whether or not they have a "plan B". Obviously for PR reasons they can't admit that the campaign is going to fail, but it obviously is going to. Are they just going to scrap the whole deal at that point, or will they try to fund development or a prototype through other means (like selling more Jag cases)?

Regarding the posts about the Retro magazine, I have been a backer since day 1. The only comment I can really make is that one of my issues arrived having been mangled by the USPS. I let Mike know, and I got a replacement issue in the mail immediately.

I guess I'm only bringing that up because I feel like people keep trying to drag Mike et. al. through the mud by bringing up stuff that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. It's very unfortunate that this whole project has gone the way that it has, and it's equally unfortunate that Mike is probably not going to be a member of the community anymore. While a lot of the blame for that rests on his shoulders, it doesn't help that some people here seem to be fanning the flames simply to create more drama.

• Like 5

I don't think they're planning to throw in the towel. It was mentioned today that Gamester81 is going to be making a video for them. They seem to expect that to provide a sizable boost. What they fail to mention is that Gamester81 is not a neutral 3rd party, as he's affiliated with a publisher committed to the system.

They've also commented that they believe a lot of people are waiting to contribute near the end of the campaign.

Well, I have decided to jump in feet first and develop my first game for this platform:

California Games:Surf Dogs?!

attachicon.gifSurf Dogs.jpg

For those who don't know the inspiration for this, go to the show notes page for RGR #79 and jump to 3:40:25 in the podcast mp3 for the ten minutes of flaming spiral glory.

Now, full disclosure, I haven't written any games for about thirty years, and those were some pretty basic text adventures on the Coco, but I do have the game idea and the label art and that is half the battle. I will need to get the rights to use the California Games tag and get up to speed on exactly what an FPGA is and whether there will be one or not, but those are the least of my problems.

I welcome any constructive criticism on this game, like what color the cartridge should be.

Hi Chuck, random_dave of James & Watch creator fame, wire me $20k to my swiss bank account and we can discuss becoming the premier developers on the RVGS #believe

• Like 1

Yes, Mike was one third of the RGR team up to that moment.

Ah, I get it. Sorry. I guess I should have listened longer! :P

They were at 195 backers earlier today and around 69k, back to 193 and 66,990 now. I guess we'll know more about if/when they plan to throw in the towel when we hear the interview this weekend.

Ouch. Not enough of a drop to bring them below yesterday's numbers (yet), but it's still a reversal that they absolutely don't need. (EDIT: They were up to 194 earlier in the afternoon, and as of about 4:30 CST, they are down to 193 again and $66439. It's been almost literally two steps forward, one step back with their fundraising ever since their first-day burst of pledges.)

Okay, I see your point. I just always wonder why forum members have to single others out like that. That was some out-of-the-blue baggage or something. At least Keatah's offered the occasional optimism. You jumped all over the Retro VGS guys before any details were even publicized. And it's certainly not only you.

One can refuse to support something and still refrain from spewing an endless stream of crass insults. Why even pay attention if you've given up on it? Again, I'm not singling you out -- it's almost as if some people get angry when others try to accomplish things. There's some interesting sour-grapes psychology going on there.

I understand why all of the VGS mistakes, flippancy and fake-prototype nonsense have caused a lot of potentially interested backers to...well, turn their backs, but why keep up the childish spear-jabbing over and over, and then irrelevantly ask people to stop quoting someone who hasn't been nearly as nasty as you? Maybe it's just a matter of incomprehension on my part. Fair enough. I certainly don't know everything.

I guess this thread just represents the opposite of some things that I dig about the old-game community. We should be supporting each other's attempts at great things, even if it's only to permit failure without massive invective. You're allowed to fail, you know? "I hope you learn from all the dumb mistakes you've made. We're behind you if you try again someday and omit all of the disingenuous hype." Even if that doesn't cover everything that you cats are pissed off about, that attitude just seems more conducive to others' future attempts at cool projects than "HAHAHA! YOU SUCK!" or whatever.

The Keatah thing...if you follow along, I'm not the only one calling him out, several members and at least one mod has done so as well. It wasn't a joke that he's the only person I've ever set to ignore as I find this forum is pretty sensible compared to some other places I visit. I'll leave it at that as I'm not here to pick a fight with anyone.

Another member summed it up best here IMO: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/?p=3328735

I could add more, but that's the gist of it. I don't think there's any sour grapes here. If Kevtris starts a crowd funding campaign I will certainly be a part of it and I imagine many of the others on this thread will as well. I don't know him personally, we've never even PMed each other, but he's not selling anything and he's already done a better job of proving his product than the RVGS crew who is asking $2,000,000 and they can't even tell us what the hardware spec is. Combine that with all their other smoke and mirrors/deception such as announcing games that aren't set it stone and that's why people are upset with this project. They claim transparency, but look at the Double Dragon Trilogy example I pointed out yesterday. It's listed as a game on their page, but Mike totally contradicts that on Facebook.

Maybe I've taken some unfair jabs at them, it's hard to say given the length of this thread, but lately most, if not all, of what I post is based on their own claims. I'm sorry if pointing out how what they say contradicts reality is seen as sour grapes, but that doesn't change the facts.

• Like 6

Well, I have decided to jump in feet first and develop my first game for this platform:

California Games:Surf Dogs?!

attachicon.gifSurf Dogs.jpg

For those who don't know the inspiration for this, go to the show notes page for RGR #79 and jump to 3:40:25 in the podcast mp3 for the ten minutes of flaming spiral glory.

Now, full disclosure, I haven't written any games for about thirty years, and those were some pretty basic text adventures on the Coco, but I do have the game idea and the label art and that is half the battle. I will need to get the rights to use the California Games tag and get up to speed on exactly what an FPGA is and whether there will be one or not, but those are the least of my problems.

I welcome any constructive criticism on this game, like what color the cartridge should be.

You get my seal of approval. Other game developers can get my seal for $300, but make sure your game is bug free before sending.

• Like 1

Ah, I get it. I guess I should have listened longer! :P

Yeah, that clip was a bad example of the quality of the show. Granted, they do embrace a bit of a "we do this our way and if you don't like it don't listen" approach and Scott likes the sound of his own voice sometimes, but you know, so do I. Lots of great info and interviews on the show though.

attachicon.gifWP_20150924_14_29_53_Pro.jpg

You get my seal of approval. Other game developers can get my seal for $300, but make sure your game is bug free before sending.

No bugs, only undocumented features. Actually, Jag the bulldog will have to contend with bugs while he is surfing. The player will have to shake the bugs off as they land on his smelly hide, if too many accumulate, the sprite will start a full-on hing leg scratch and fall off the surf board.

Put up a campaign on indiegogo to fund the prototype? People actually believe they don't have the Money to do that? It's obvious they would do a prototype if they had the design ready. They just don't know what the System is going to be, and are waiting to see how much Money they'll have available to decide final specs. That much is pretty clear. The Problem is that it's a stupid backwards plan that is ruining the campaign, because you can't donate without knowing what the product is.

If they had a base product everyone was happy with, and then in Stretch Goals adding things like more Outputs, maybe more RAM, or some extra functionality, that's fine. But how can someone donate and then just pray they reach the Goal for the large FPGA core? Not even the ARM is described for christ's sake. Powerful ARM processor? Like, a big 4 cores ARM with a powerful GPU? Or by powerfull the mean el cheapo crappy cellphone outated processor that runs ps1 Level games?

• Like 7

Regarding the posts about the Retro magazine, I have been a backer since day 1. The only comment I can really make is that one of my issues arrived having been mangled by the USPS. I let Mike know, and I got a replacement issue in the mail immediately.

The year's previous kickstarter by Mike "begins" sending out the trinkets almost 10 months after the campaign ends, and this happens with days to go before the guy was due to begin his next kickstarter venture, only one that was looking for, what, 100x the funds? Forgive me for thinking that seemed just a little bit convenient. Is it mismanagement? Finger in too many pies? I dunno, but it's relevant to the wider discussion. It's not like anyone has gone searching for stuff from his private life, it's old game shit and crowd funded.

This bit was telling for me, from the subscriber on neo-geo.com:

"Lack of actual retro coverage. I was expecting lots of 8 and 16-bit retrospectives and articles. We've barely gotten any. They mostly cover modern games with a retro spirit. That's not what I signed up for."

Modern games with a retro spirit...? That rings a bell or two.

part-award.jpg

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 3

because you can't donate without knowing what the product is.

If they had a base product everyone was happy with, and then in Stretch Goals adding things like more Outputs, maybe more RAM, or some extra functionality, that's fine. But how can someone donate and then just pray they reach the Goal for the large FPGA core?

IMHO I think your above statements are a little at-odds with one-another.

I don't know how anyone can be happy with a base product when enhancements are dangled in front of them, especially a game-changer like the FPGA. Specify the hardware required to achieve your vision, and leave it at that. Why add a half-baked solution in the mix, other than because you're hedging your bets and want to mitigate the possibility that your vision isn't a viable product in this market.

My first reply to this thread since this crowdfunding started...I have been busy with life! :)

Anyway, I was pretty excited about RVGS earlier this year, and was excited last week when we found out the exact time when the campaign would launch on Saturday. I had made family plans (pumpkin patch with the kiddo in the morning) when it was going to launch, and perhaps that was a good thing. Around noon eastern when my daughter was still frolicking amongst pumpkins, I decided to steal a peek at this thread to see what all of you were saying. Let's just say that many of your comments (especially someone like Jay, whose opinion I have come to value on the Aquarius sub-forum, even if I have been quiet myself recently...loving my Aquaricart, BTW) definitely made me hesitate in pledging, and then after Kevtris's bombshell, I decided to sit the campaign out no matter what now.

Anyway, just wanted to say, though some of the subtle jabs at Mike are amusing (the Nostalgia SH-IT being pretty hilarious), some have been a little too personal or mean-spirited. I did not Kickstart Retro Mag, but I subsequently became a subscriber through their website, and I had a delivery problem with one of them recently. I personally emailed Mike and he took action to rectify the problem right away, so he is a good guy from what I can tell personally. But I agree he has had some mis-steps on this project...but I am hoping he can go back to the drawing board and figure out the next step (prototype prior to launching a campaign) for RVGS.

Lastly, welcome to all of the new people on AtariAge who came here after being directed here from RVGS Facebook page. This is a great community to talk old-school games, specifically Atari. Thanks to Albert for letting us discuss this topic and helping people to make an informed decision on the RVGS.

• Like 6

I noticed someone pulled out a ~$1,000 donation today, it must've been Garry.

They were up to 194 backers with about 67,500 and back down to 193 at 66,439 currently.

Wow. I knew that big drop had to have come from somewhere. I believe his was their only (publicly visible) $1000+ pledge, and he was certainly their highest-profile donor.

(They're now down to 192 backers and $65970, a whopping $14 above yesterday's opening numbers.)