IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Let's just say that many of your comments (especially someone like Jay, whose opinion I have come to value on the Aquarius sub-forum, even if I have been quiet myself recently...loving my Aquaricart, BTW) definitely made me hesitate in pledging, and then after Kevtris's bombshell, I decided to sit the campaign out no matter what now.

Thank you very much! I'm glad that you're enjoying the Aquaricart! That project was my very first hardware design experience, so I was fully prepared to support the RVGS team in the months before their fundraising campaign, since the RVGS represented a new endeavor for them, too. But even though a video game console is far more complicated to design than my humble little cartridge was, even I could see that the decisions they were making reflected an unclear concept for the product, and a lack of understanding of hardware design in general, something that was confirmed when Kevtris shared his inside account of the planning process (or lack thereof). I'm happy that this thread helped you make an informed decision.

• Like 2

Not a huge Pat the Punk fan, but he just put up some videos about that pretty much say what most are saying here:

Was already listening. It's all spot-on stuff regarding the colours/testing/controller etc. and the big question WHY? They big up kevtris and mention this thread, too.

They point some interesting stuff out. $40 shipping in US that they believe should cost $20. That's double. Their controllers that retail for $12 on Amazon, albeit in modified form, are $25. Double.

What was the estimated price of this console again before the campaign kicked off? Half?

Lipton_Kermit-630x422.png

Best bit so far:

"...if these Jaguar system molds weren't for sale... would the Retro VGS ever have existed?"

The discussion following this regarding expectations vs offering is bang on point.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 5

Haven't logged in for a while....and WOW! This thread!!!! I wish I'd started on it earlier; 88 pages! Looks like I have some leisure-time reading to catch up.

However, $2 million (almost) and talk of $3.8 million? $300 for a retro console? (I won't even give that for a PS4/Xbone that actually exists on store shelf (although secretly want them).)

Product is still a nebulous imaginary figment?

As Gomer Pyle says.......

post-16281-0-13227300-1443134444_thumb.jpg

GOLLY!

Best of luck to those involved!

Not a huge Pat the Punk fan, but he just put up some videos about that pretty much say what most are saying here:

Good listen. I watch Pat and Ian regularly and enjoy them quite a bit. They speak well and intelligently on most subjects. I can't say that for a lot of the other youtube gaming celebrities.

• Like 2

Good videos, even with their tech capabilities of kevtris' system not being correct, but that's the most in-depth discussion of the "no updates" concept I've heard. Of course we discussed it here, but they gave some great examples of large dev teams coming out with games that still had bugs, even with groups of people dedicated to nothing but QA. The example of bonus free, or otherwise, DLC for customers was another great point that I hadn't thought of as I don't really download games other than free things on my ipad for plane flights, but I do recall one of the games I play coming out with a new level for free. It would be unfortunate to pay more for a game with less content than a $10 download. Some good insight in the vids for sure.

PS: Hello to the 136 users browsing this thread!

• Like 3

that support from the "media" looks like its not going to happen

I listen to the CU podcast and they've mentioned the VGS in passing, I'm glad they gave their full opinions now. No surprise they don't like the idea, they're probably the podcast most in tune with the average (sensible) retro gamer. You can see how uneasy Pat is from the beginning since he personally knows Mike. I like that they tried to be fair but it was clear that at least Pat was biting his tongue and walking on egg shells.

The part that summed it up the ethos behind this console was when Ian said that this isn't a console designed for retro enthusiasts, it's designed to prey on retro enthusiasts.

Sure Mike has ambition and wants to do all these things to bring back the golden age of cartridges but you have to remember that in the end this is a money making venture.

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 2

Lol...I can't believe StopDrop&Retro pasted down one of my many facebook rants on Page 83. It was linked to me via the Pier Solar Kickstarter comments, LOL

Anyhow, I would not back a prototype IGG/KS for the RVGS. There is no reason that Mike Kennedy can't fund a prototype for this if he's so passionate and confidant about the project. I would however back the IGG/KS with a functioning prototype and set in stone specs. Also, we're not stupid RVGS Team...shove your $12 controllers up your... They're worse than Hyperkin products.

Edited by InnovaX5

I didn't chime in when I had the chance, but I guess my main question is whether or not they have a "plan B". Obviously for PR reasons they can't admit that the campaign is going to fail, but it obviously is going to. Are they just going to scrap the whole deal at that point, or will they try to fund development or a prototype through other means (like selling more Jag cases)?

I suspect there actually wasn't a "plan B" because when you're drunk on your own Kool-aid and convinced yourself that your awesome project cannot fail because it's your idea and it's awesome a backup plan doesn't ever occur to you. The attitudes and actions on display when the ship hasn't even fully sunk sort of give it away, IMO.

Wow, even Scott from RGR came in here to lay down some smack. This thread may be the biggest thread and hottest debate I've seen on AA ever! :P

I already said part of this, and with the replies posting fast and furious, I'm not sure how many people will read this, but....

The whole 'conflict of interest' thing is interesting and difficult to deal with. I don't know Mike Kennedy personaly like some other people, but I really like the guy and have respect for him. I've been listening to him on Retro Gaming Roundup since I started listening to podcasts in April of 2014 and the Colecovision Podcast that he does with Willie and Gamster81 since it started. Often I agree with a lot of what he says. While neither GameGravel nor RETRO magazine have been huge hits, I backed those projects also and support them for the giving of more choices out there. I've podcasted once with Mike (when I was a guest spot person on a episode of the Colecovision podcast -- Mike liked how I described the gameplay in CV Time Pilot as feeling 'constipated' :D ) and I've spoken to him via e-mail a couple times. When I had a problem getting my back issues of RETRO in PDF format he took care of it for me right away. He has a good business sense, a love of retro games, doesn't hate modern games as he plays some of them, and is passionate about the things he works on.

So it makes it even more sad to see what's going on here. I can only speculate about what happened, but I tend to agree with others who have said that he's being misled/being given bad information by the others, and that this project is over his head, and he's under a lot of stress right now....I never would have imagined he'd snap at Kevin like he did earlier in this thread.

It makes me realize I'm not the target market for this, but I STILL wanted to really support it, and I'm sad about what a clusterfuck this has turned into. It's made for enteraining reading, though. :)

Please, everyone, try to stay polite and civil when posting here....it's been pretty good so far, and Al and the other mods have done a great job, but try to think before you post. I understand this can be very passionate and all, but we want to keep this going with the insightful posts and threads.

RetroGamingRoundup is a great podcast, for those who don't listen to it. As I said, it was one of the first ones I started listening to. The Hardware Flashback and Top 10 Debates are always entertaining and over the years they have done many great interviews. Mike's no longer officialy with the podcast but he does take part in the Top 10 Debate each month still.

I'm really looking forward to the podcast with the interview that was done with the Retro VGS guys....can't wait for Sat!

And finally, welcome to all the guests, and hope you hang around for what is one of the best forums on the net, bar none. If you find THIS interesting, dig around in some of the archives. :P

• Like 5

That parody video was pretty spot on, great stuff!

Also, people, please stop quoting Keatah. In my 8+ years of being on AA he's the only person I've put on ignore, when you quote him I accidentally read his pompous idiocy.

Ouch.. But that's alright. Gotta be hurting with an attitude like that.

You're one to talk? You've been nothing but negative and snide throughout this entire thread, even before there was any real news.

It's just in their nature. Sometimes they grow out of it.

Wait why am I even part of the thread that's giving AA a bad name elsewhere. Should be learning Verilog or something!

Please, everyone, try to stay polite and civil when posting here....it's been pretty good so far, and Al and the other mods have done a great job, but try to think before you post. I understand this can be very passionate and all, but we want to keep this going with the insightful posts and threads.

This.

• Like 3

Here's Mike's post in plaintext:

Hey Everyone,

We have confirmed, according to our IGG rep that Paypal is canceling some pledges for no reason(having to do with something triggering their fraud dept), and we are discussing with them now. We found out when one large backer said his pledge was reversed and he told us about it. Have any of you had this happen? If so let us know as we don’t know if it’s an isolated incident or happing frequently.

We will keep on keepin’ on!

Mike

These guys aren't fraudsters. Inept at running a kickstarter of this magnitude? Yes. Misfit product? Perhaps.. Outright fraud, no.

And officially for the record, I'm not supporting the project because it morphed into something different than what first caught my attention.

Who said they were? Do you even read posts or just inhale them?

• Like 2